Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Declan MacManus posted:

i am so tired of talking about ben simmons. can we talk about jaylen brown or sabonis or malik monk or devin vassell or franz wagner or

MPJ has truly Overcome The Haters so far this year. He’s genuinely decent at defense now, knows where to be, and the occasional players who remember his old rep and try to ISO against him haven’t done great. When he’s launching shots, it’s not because he’s breaking off a play, but because it’s the result of good offensive process. Huge relief of a comeback season for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

kingcobweb posted:

MPJ has truly Overcome The Haters so far this year. He’s genuinely decent at defense now, knows where to be, and the occasional players who remember his old rep and try to ISO against him haven’t done great. When he’s launching shots, it’s not because he’s breaking off a play, but because it’s the result of good offensive process. Huge relief of a comeback season for him.

What does he do well on offense other than shoot

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I really like Dyson Daniels but I worry about his lack of wiggle on offense. Probably won't ever be much of an initiator despite his fantastic passing. It helps that he is stouter-Herb on defense and has a set 3pt shot that is on the verge of being something defenses have to respect. I'm excited for him.

Somewhat relatedly, this team really loving misses Jose who has been injured for a while now. He doesn't turn the ball over much, keeps the offense moving and aggressively going to the paint, and is a pest to ballhandlers on defense. No one else has stepped up to provide those qualities off the bench.

Herb is having a sophomore slump while also getting negative respect by refs for his defense. harumph

Trey Murphy has added some driving to his game which has really opened things up for him. They are mostly straight line drives attacking closeouts, but he is still dangerous with it and has been pretty good at avoiding charges when attacking the rim from the corner.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

morestuff posted:

What does he do well on offense other than shoot

He's a good cutter and dunker. He's 6'10" so he's had some great follow-up rebounds and dunks. Plus he's a really really good shooter so I don't know that he needs to do too much beyond that on offense.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Declan MacManus posted:

i am so tired of talking about ben simmons. can we talk about jaylen brown or sabonis or malik monk or devin vassell or franz wagner or

Jaylen Brown -- pretty good-- Spiritual powers activated

Sabonis- prety good- large

Malik Monk- pretty good-but what order of monk

Davin vassell- fast and has shadow mode enabled

franz wagner-- Good at Ball

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Skrill.exe posted:

He's a good cutter and dunker. He's 6'10" so he's had some great follow-up rebounds and dunks. Plus he's a really really good shooter so I don't know that he needs to do too much beyond that on offense.

Yeah, nailed it. I also trust him to make one (1) dribble to drive, pull up, or relocate, which is an infinite improvement from his previous zero.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

wolverine.jpg
https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/status/1643307142072631296

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Jaylen Brown on Jayson Tatum: We're part of each other's destiny

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

https://www.reddit.com/r/DetroitPistons/comments/12980k0/james_wisemans_post_ups_by_the_numbers/

quote:

In 19 games as a Piston:

23.8% Post Up frequency - 4th highest in the NBA

3.2 post possessions/game - 11th most in the NBA

0.73 Points Per Possession - Last in the NBA (Minimum 1 post up/game)

6.7% foul rate - 5th lowest in the NBA (Minimum 1 post up/game)

the ultimate poster is an nba player, who knew

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

drat that sucks oh well *watches the cavs* hell yeah/ ah poo poo but its at least fun

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

It would be a fun experiment to swap Brunson with Kyrie on the Knicks just to see what the net effect would be.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Dejan Bimble posted:

Jaylen Brown on Jayson Tatum: We're part of each other's destiny

Full thing with Shams

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1643301166044831774

The full quote is pretty clear he wants to stay.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

morestuff posted:

I don't think they should give him a five-year deal either but that's like the reason why you don't trade for Kyrie

Yeah exactly

Bringing in a guy to be the second star while also not wanting to make a second star level commitment is so Mark Cuban it hurts. But I guess he's gotta save money for Twitter Premium

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I used to be pretty confident the Mavs would eventually figure it out because Luka is just that good but pretty much no matter what they do this off-season I think they’re screwed

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
Despite everything I can see plenty of avenues for the Mavs to turn this ship around in coming years, with or without Kyrie, but like imagine Warriors lightyears ahead guy only instead of feeling a little cocky after winning a bunch of championships he was feeling really cocky because in 2013 he cleared max cap space, demonstrating unmatched understanding of the CBA. I used to think Dirk was rated about properly but now I think he's the most underrated player of all time, to carry this heap

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Didn’t the mavs gently caress up Steve Nash and dirk together in their primes

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Dutchy posted:

Despite everything I can see plenty of avenues for the Mavs to turn this ship around in coming years, with or without Kyrie, but like imagine Warriors lightyears ahead guy only instead of feeling a little cocky after winning a bunch of championships he was feeling really cocky because in 2013 he cleared max cap space, demonstrating unmatched understanding of the CBA. I used to think Dirk was rated about properly but now I think he's the most underrated player of all time, to carry this heap

When he finally won, he had good help from Tyson Chandler and Shawn Marion, who were both fairly underrated in their own ways. And JET, of course.

Edit
This reads too much like a correction. I otherwise agree with you. Dallas prolly didn't know what they were getting, either.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Chandler was coming off the aborted trade because of injury concerns and Marion kind of fell into a black hole after getting traded from Phoenix. Smart pickups but that team was a fortuitous lightning in a bottle team

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The Mavs could've possibly gotten at least another western finals berth the year after their championship if Cuban just paid Chandler instead of some bullshit fetish he had to get Deron Williams

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

pentyne posted:

you can always tell a milford man

Lol

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Veryslightlymad posted:

When he finally won, he had good help from Tyson Chandler and Shawn Marion, who were both fairly underrated in their own ways. And JET, of course.

Edit
This reads too much like a correction. I otherwise agree with you. Dallas prolly didn't know what they were getting, either.

They definitely didn't know what they were getting with Chandler, they got him less than a week after signing Brendan Haywood to a six year extension and it was considered something of a disappointment because the Mavs media appendages had been hyping up the expiring and non-guaranteed Erick Dampier contract as the Key Piece that would bring in a Big Star and at the time Tyson was like an 8/8 guy who was always hurt and the presumed backup center, it was really a breakout year for him.

And of course I love that team and it had a bunch of good players but even by 2011 Tyson Chandler and JET as your 2 and 3 would not exactly seem up to snuff. Definitely not compared to what the Heat had just done.

But I'm not even really referring to the championship but how the Mavs were like an automatic 50+ wins for a decade despite every loving thing they do being as stupid as possible. The title is the crown jewel but the fact the franchise was good enough for it to be disappointing they hadn't won a title yet is, in retrospect, a loving miracle. Sorry if I'm getting too Book of Basketball, it's just I figured putting together a losing team with post-rookie year Luka should be literally impossible so watching it happen has made it even more impressive to me that with Prime Dirk it basically was (some years with more help than others)

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Brian Cardinal erasure is ridiculous

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Jason Terry was a key part of the championship run but lets not forget he was brought in to replace Steve Nash

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

morestuff posted:

I used to be pretty confident the Mavs would eventually figure it out because Luka is just that good but pretty much no matter what they do this off-season I think they’re screwed

The story of how one man painted a mural on a wall, made an owner meltdown, and caused an entire franchise to implode.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
Pretty cool that even in 2022-23, murals can still be powerful.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

These overhead shots of the Grizzlies' paint this year have been amazing https://twitter.com/memgrizz/status/1643409222523146241?s=46&t=0x_opuk5bo0lymk_1YRzgQ

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era
Cavs

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Holy poo poo this owns

e: for the real heads, its a defector article. https://defector.com/they-turned-this-museum-into-a-basketball-court-and-it-rules

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
https://twitter.com/neorsd/status/1643423372754264064?s=46&t=ckPt10nE464AHv1IdSGFyg

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

50 wins...that's good, right?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Keegan hit 200 3 pointers

Kings pacific division champs

Trump got perp walked

What a day

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

Bismack Billabongo posted:

We can talk about josh okogie if you want. A little. As a treat

I'm happy he escaped Minnesota and apparently became good.

He was always very high motor and it was cool when from time to time he'd get an open court to just run and do stuff

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Franz Wagner owns so much. This team is getting a Championship in the next few years.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Telluric Whistler posted:

I'm happy he escaped Minnesota and apparently became good.

He was always very high motor and it was cool when from time to time he'd get an open court to just run and do stuff

maybe I'm missing something by just looking at stats but he looks to be the same player he was in Minnesota. His points are up but that's just because they're letting him shoot more, his shooting splits aren't any different.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Wolves win 40(or more) games in consecutive seasons

For the first time since 04-05.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Franz Wagner owns so much. This team is getting a Championship in the next few years.

Franz and Paolo are amazing. Getting Fultz back healthy has been the real key.

Orlando Magic are going to be the sexy pick for playoffs next season and I am so hype for it.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Nystral posted:

Franz and Paolo are amazing. Getting Fultz back healthy has been the real key.

Orlando Magic are going to be the sexy pick for playoffs next season and I am so hype for it.

Hell yeah buddy

It’s such a fun team too, really enjoyable to watch

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

IcePhoenix posted:

maybe I'm missing something by just looking at stats but he looks to be the same player he was in Minnesota. His points are up but that's just because they're letting him shoot more, his shooting splits aren't any different.

Good is an overstatement, but he looked completely washed the last couple years and now looks like a competent energy guy who has even played himself into the starting lineup (where he actually has put up respectable numbers).

I think the biggest difference is he's seemed to have found his 3 again (which was never good but is now just below average)

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Telluric Whistler posted:

Good is an overstatement, but he looked completely washed the last couple years and now looks like a competent energy guy who has even played himself into the starting lineup (where he actually has put up respectable numbers).

I mean I must repeat, the numbers are the same he's just getting higher volume (either minutes or shots), so the counting stats look higher but the rate stats are basically all the same. He probably just looks better because he has a better team around him.

Don't get me wrong I liked watching him on the wolves but it's not exactly an uncommon thing for role players to suddenly look better when they upgrade their scenery.

e: the 3pt shooting is better I'll give you that (helps that he's playing with CP3 instead of D'lo) but I'd want to see him maintain it over more than one year before I believe it.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Apr 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Dutchy posted:

They definitely didn't know what they were getting with Chandler, they got him less than a week after signing Brendan Haywood to a six year extension and it was considered something of a disappointment because the Mavs media appendages had been hyping up the expiring and non-guaranteed Erick Dampier contract as the Key Piece that would bring in a Big Star and at the time Tyson was like an 8/8 guy who was always hurt and the presumed backup center, it was really a breakout year for him.

And of course I love that team and it had a bunch of good players but even by 2011 Tyson Chandler and JET as your 2 and 3 would not exactly seem up to snuff. Definitely not compared to what the Heat had just done.

But I'm not even really referring to the championship but how the Mavs were like an automatic 50+ wins for a decade despite every loving thing they do being as stupid as possible. The title is the crown jewel but the fact the franchise was good enough for it to be disappointing they hadn't won a title yet is, in retrospect, a loving miracle. Sorry if I'm getting too Book of Basketball, it's just I figured putting together a losing team with post-rookie year Luka should be literally impossible so watching it happen has made it even more impressive to me that with Prime Dirk it basically was (some years with more help than others)

Iirc They knew what they were getting with Chandler. (To some extent) They got him because their trainer, Casey Smith was with Team USA that summer and convinced the team to trade for him.