Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Paracaidas posted:

Why in the hell are we posting Krassenstein? Is Weekly World News feed down?

Overall, it feels like the timeline is right for the Republican Establishment to make their last angry noises, drop a sarcastic "here they go again" when Georgia and Justice jump in, and then make the rounds to the usual Sunday shows in January to talk about how Americans are tired of hearing about his legal issues and would rather focus on the issues plaguing this country (libraries, youth sports, aerosolized fentanyl, Hunter Biden's laptop).

I think that's more than a bit unfair to the Weekly World News ; Bat Boy is a national treasure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Ynglaur posted:

Emphasis mine. The thing is, it shouldn't be. He's a common civilian, being indicted for a civilian crime in a civilian court system. If we're serious about being a nation of laws, then the law must apply equally to all of us, regardless of social station or prior or even current office. I realize full-well that our justice system is too often unjust, but we propagate that injustice when we give any credence to the idea that "this is all new territory." There's no new case law being written here.

There is… historical precedent for it to be bad to prosecute heads of state(ex and potential). There will be a conflation of the criminal prosecution with political prosecution. That carries a stability risk to the system, I mean that’s why Caesar crossed the Rubicon.

The other side of that is the risk carried by your point. If this is a nation of laws, no one is above those laws. We make them meaningless if in such egregious cases these actions are ignored by society.

There is real risk to the political system in prosecuting him. But personally I think it’s the smaller risk. Its much riskier to abandon entirely: “the law must apply equally to all of us”

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
"leaders can execute crimes" is the worst precedent you can possibly set in any government. Instant spiral to total dysfunction.

Break the political system entirely and start over from the ashes if we need to, but never let leaders do crime.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Yeah it should be noticed there are countries (France and South Korea immediately spring to mind, Italy and Israel possibly as well) where it isn't unknown for ex leaders to be prosecuted for crimes. Those nations don't automatically collapse into tyranny and revolution.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Judge Schnoopy posted:

"leaders can execute crimes" is the worst precedent you can possibly set in any government. Instant spiral to total dysfunction.

Break the political system entirely and start over from the ashes if we need to, but never let leaders do crime.

I would be cautious about being absolute and not just to your point but my own point.

And this: “Break the political system entirely and start over from the ashes “ this is a very bad thing. Perhaps humans are messy train wrecks. Our institutions of governments reflect that we are messy train wrecks. We have to be in the messy train wreck, that is the normal state.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Judge Schnoopy posted:

lol yeah lets sacrifice society to make sure rule breaking doesn't happen. The reality is that Presidents regularly commit crimes, both domestically and internationally, and there has been a reluctance to actively prosecute those violations specifically because of how much doing so risks the current political order.

Here we have a great example of taking a shot at the king - if they gently caress up it will be used as a weapon against many of our already weakened institutions by fascists and their supporters. It's an incredibly risky precedent to set and as such I really hope the Manhattan DA knows how deep the water is.

This isn't to say that I don't think Trump should be charged, only that it's not some process that anyone involved should enter into casually or because of some idealized principals. There will be very real costs to this process and as of yet we have no idea who will bear the brunt of those costs.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I don’t know anything about the legal team in question but I’m gonna assume they’re treating this case with above average vigilance when it comes to risk/cost analysis.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
When they book him, are they going to record and release his actual height and weight?

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Sort of related.

These loving guys

"Everything I don't like is unconstitutional"

I really wish these judges would call these idiots on their bullshit and say " ok nevermind, straight to jail"

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Trump isn't the first President to commit crimes. He's just the dumbest President, which makes his crimes more obvious.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Ringo Star Get posted:

When they book him, are they going to record and release his actual height and weight?

I hope so

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Grip it and rip it posted:

I really hope the Manhattan DA knows how deep the water is.

I wish the Stormy Daniels one hadn’t been the first one. It’s fortunate it’s not really being played as a prosecution for a sex scandal .

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
It doesn't seem like there's any groundswell of support for trump on the street level

At all

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Uglycat posted:

It doesn't seem like there's any groundswell of support for trump on the street level

At all

It's Manhattan.

There was a rally of about 100 people that MTG went to earlier.

There are almost 3x as many counter protesters and almost 100 media there alone.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Uglycat posted:

At all

Pretty sure they all convinced themselves that this was a honeypot trap for loyal Trump supporters and decided not to show up.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Oracle posted:

Pretty sure they all convinced themselves that this was a honeypot trap for loyal Trump supporters and decided not to show up.

Yeah. They'd rather not actually get off the couch to help him but instead just set up automatic payments to his campaign accounts every time a new email comes in.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Discendo Vox posted:

I'd want to know the source of the image, but I think that's just someone standing behind him facing the other way. The physical site is accurate to life and the image has a number of features that AI doesn't (and probably can't) replicate without effectively being handheld to produce them.

there's also something wrong with his right arm

and while it's true the world's worst misshapen dwarf could lean back into this guy, I fear I'll have to go with Occam's Razor here and assume this is a fake

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Libluini posted:

What do you mean something wrong with his arm?

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Libluini posted:

and while it's true the world's worst misshapen dwarf could lean back into this guy, I fear I'll have to go with Occam's Razor here and assume this is a fake

Occam's Razor doesn't suggest it's a fake.

I haven't seen an AI image generator that can generate text that actually says things. I feel like it's also not going to generate a poster making a reference to the Salem witch trials and then partially obscure it. I also don't think it's going to generate a camera setup with a wireless flash transmitter and then a Profoto flash.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Libluini posted:

Or, we could ask cr0y where they got it.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Discendo Vox posted:

Or, we could ask cr0y where they got it.

It was from... Someone reputable on Twitter that is on the ground reporting. I'm not being coy, I can't remember who tweeted it.

E: found it, yea the dudes feet are fine, I just grabbed a quick crop of it

https://twitter.com/DavidCornDC/status/1643258630215442432?t=B4YtSkaurSVyqQ72PfohqA&s=19

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
also that's the same lady who tried to destroy the "trump lied" flag. so it's probably just a guy behind him

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Fart Amplifier posted:

Occam's Razor doesn't suggest it's a fake.

I haven't seen an AI image generator that can generate text that actually says things. I feel like it's also not going to generate a poster making a reference to the Salem witch trials and then partially obscure it. I also don't think it's going to generate a camera setup with a wireless flash transmitter and then a Profoto flash.

This is the key. As far as I know, no one's paired an image-creating AI with anything that can do a Natural Language Processing task. And even if they did, the gold-standard for NLP is absolute poo poo in regards to approximating writing.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

cr0y posted:

It was from... Someone reputable on Twitter that is on the ground reporting. I'm not being coy, I can't remember who tweeted it.

E: found it, yea the dudes feet are fine, I just grabbed a quick crop of it

https://twitter.com/DavidCornDC/status/1643258630215442432?t=B4YtSkaurSVyqQ72PfohqA&s=19

The guy on the right is Michael Picard aka Professional Douche on youtube and his channel is hilarious. He trolls right wing political and police rallies.

https://www.youtube.com/@ProfessionalDouche

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Is there a favorite livestream on youtube to watch for news

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

Libluini posted:

It looks like he's holding his water bottle with a couple fingers so it makes his hand look weird.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It's Manhattan.

There was a rally of about 100 people that MTG went to earlier.

There are almost 3x as many counter protesters and almost 100 media there alone.

There's probably no single place in the entire US that despises Trump more personally or universally than Manhattan, yeah.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Bar Ran Dun posted:

There is… historical precedent for it to be bad to prosecute heads of state(ex and potential). There will be a conflation of the criminal prosecution with political prosecution. That carries a stability risk to the system, I mean that’s why Caesar crossed the Rubicon.

The other side of that is the risk carried by your point. If this is a nation of laws, no one is above those laws. We make them meaningless if in such egregious cases these actions are ignored by society.

There is real risk to the political system in prosecuting him. But personally I think it’s the smaller risk. Its much riskier to abandon entirely: “the law must apply equally to all of us”

I agree. Brett Devereaux (a very-online historian) made a thoughtful point that you can argue that one of the reasons Caesar crossed the Rubicon was that the Roman state failed for so long to hold him to account for his many crimes. By the time they decided to do so, it was too late.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is there a favorite livestream on youtube to watch for news

This CBS stream:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfMT4KWdc4E

has a guy inside the courtroom who said it was 34 counts of falsifying business records. Nothing too exciting.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Still waiting on indictment readout but it'll be here within ten minutes, just be patient everyone.

Go eat a sandwich. You're hungry!

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Uglycat posted:

At all

That’s great news.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Herstory Begins Now posted:

There's probably no single place in the entire US that despises Trump more personally or universally than Manhattan, yeah.
well that doesn't make any sense, trump's spent years in new york why would they hate him???

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

There's a conspiracy charge...!

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

God it would've been so funny if he plead guilty.

Just the purest anti-climax as he taps the mic, looks around and says, "Whelp... Looks like you done caught old T-Dawg after all. Good job, guys. Seemed touch and go there for a bit, but you brought it in at the end of the day."

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Also seeing twitterings about conspiracy but can't find anything specific.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
There's one conspiracy charge and all the rest are falsifying business records.

Conspiracy is not really surprising at all if they are including the McDougal and AMI stuff.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Jr is truthing about the judges daughter on truth social. To be specific calling out an article Breitbart wrote.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

cr0y posted:

Jr is truthing about the judges daughter on truth social. To be specific calling out an article Breitbart wrote.

Their goals are going to doxx any and all people involved to get their MAGA followers to issue threats and put pressure on them. Of course this means we’ll see more people getting arrested for being a Trump fanboy so I’m all for it.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Ynglaur posted:

I agree. Brett Devereaux (a very-online historian) made a thoughtful point that you can argue that one of the reasons Caesar crossed the Rubicon was that the Roman state failed for so long to hold him to account for his many crimes. By the time they decided to do so, it was too late.

eh, the lessons of marius and especially sulla were absorbed by caesar's from a young age. it's not like the rules and norms of the republic were weakened specifically for him, he didn't do anything more than take one more step than those who proceeded him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1643333875790118913?s=46&t=CBKJcBX0BD3U5HgUdsqBtw

Not being able to post would be worse than jail for him