Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shoefish
Sep 29, 2005
captain haggis mcnipplesworthy
There's a new Pistol Whip track finally, but atm you can only access it by doing the monthly. It's pretty great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

VR is maybe becoming big in China, but my experience it's still incredibly niche outside of those setups at the mall.

They're really pushing the Pico in gaming stores and stuff, but, all the other people here who actually own headsets are people like me, hypernerds. It hasn't had it's "everyone gets a quest 2 for Christmas" moment yet.

And the numbers might be weird because the Quest2 didn't get officially released here and needs a VPN to work since FB stuff is blocked. I mean, it works for me, and most Chinese gamers are used to using an "accelerator" to jump the GFW, but it's still not like run down to Best Buy grab a Quest2.

Selling it to kids and teenagers and stuff won't work in China. I'm still amazed the Switch does well enough given the market here.

Happyimp
Sep 26, 2007

I exist I guess.
Holy poo poo the first boss of vertigo 2 is a bastard. I'm on uppers, and it was still a pain in the rear end. Good game

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Rectus posted:

It's big, but it using SteamVR that big in China? I don't have any numbers, but since Pico makes standalone headsets, I'd imagine a larger percentage of Chinese usage would be on standalone.

FWIW, my pico 4 shows up as quest 2 in steamvr and thus probably also survey because i use it through ALVR

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.
Finally had a chance to try my Vive with the Index controllers and it immediately makes a shitload of difference. God drat those Vive wands suck in general, but it's even worse when the trackpads are spotty about presses.

I am still looking around for a better resolution headset that works with lighthouses, used or refurbished; I'm not willing to pay full retail for one.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
I got Ghosts of Tabor, Tarkov in VR. I never had any interest in battle royale or loot shooters, not in the slightest. Pressing A to loot stuff and filling up grids in an inventory did nothing for me.

But picking the loot up, stuffing it in a backpack so I arrange it all nicely on my shelves and walls later? That's great. I love it. Plays a bit similar to Into the Radius, but with other players and extremely, extremely stupid npcs.

It is very buggy, very janky atm. Quest players complain about crashes all the time. I haven't had any crashes playing in OpenXR on the pc; it's very smooth. Performance through SteamVR is unplayable. The primary gunslot is your stomach, which you are constantly grabbing by accident. Assets needs work (for instance, Glock mags do not show how many rounds are left!)There's a weird movement bug that makes me strafe in the wrong direction sometimes. Magazines tend to fall through the ground. Sometimes peoples' guns disappear. Grabbing things from your backpack can be a crapshoot. Putting things into your backpack can be a crapshoot due to item collision. This is all very stressful when trying not to be killed.

But murking some dummy who came clomping into the room while you waited patiently? Getting the drop on some kid gloating loudly to no one in particular over his kill? Being impervious to noscope 360 godlike mouse aim because there aren't any mice? All very good imo.

Still, it does need a lot of work before it clicks like Into the Radius does.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Truga posted:

FWIW, my pico 4 shows up as quest 2 in steamvr and thus probably also survey because i use it through ALVR

Streaming assistant it shows up as a pico.
VD it shows up as a quest as well.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Vr is doomed. But this time I don't say totally as a joke. I hope Quest 3 doesn't cheap out again with the included strap.
https://www.cnbc.com/2023/04/04/american-teens-not-into-virtual-reality-only-4percent-use-it-daily-.html

I don't care for the daily use, I also don't use it daily . But 14% weekly is bad, imo.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Given the number of teenagers is ~21m, 4% of that means 800k daily users. Even that seems too high.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Turin Turambar posted:

Vr is doomed. But this time I don't say totally as a joke. I hope Quest 3 doesn't cheap out again with the included strap.
https://www.cnbc.com/2023/04/04/american-teens-not-into-virtual-reality-only-4percent-use-it-daily-.html

I don't care for the daily use, I also don't use it daily . But 14% weekly is bad, imo.

Do those stats include those 10$ plastic/cardboard phone holders?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Those haven't been a thing for about 2 years now since Samsung dropped Gear VR, Google abandoned Cardboard (and Daydream) and Oculus dropped the Go so I doubt it.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Turin Turambar posted:

It feels to me like there's been so little that's new and interesting coming out software wise for awhile. Everything I'm still actively playing is from, like, years ago. I've been hopeful that PS5 VR coming out would usher in a new wave of good software (hopefully cross platform).

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

StarkRavingMad posted:

It feels to me like there's been so little that's new and interesting coming out software wise for awhile. Everything I'm still actively playing is from, like, years ago. I've been hopeful that PS5 VR coming out would usher in a new wave of good software (hopefully cross platform).

This is a lot of it.

I haven't seen a game pop up in a while that I really care about. Yeah some decent stuffs dropped but its all decent VR versions of already existing flat games sorta. Stuff clearly inspired by other things. Ghosts of whatever, that tarkov type game for example. Sure its great and fun and neat but its not even slightly a new concept and while VR adds some neat feeling features, uh, its still just the same game and isn't totally changing it.

Games in VR need to have quick in and out times. Stuff people can boot a headset, the game, and start playing in under 5 min. Then that game or experience needs to instantly grab the user in some unique way to keep them engaged long enough to see the games content.

If we're gonna keep remaking certain genres and such, they really need to feel like they were made for VR and special, instead of a lot of the "feels like a flat game with VR controls" stuff.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I'm only ever playing RE4VR, VRChat, and a few other games anymore. The idea of RE4Remake VR is really cool but not for the $500+ the PS headset asks. They need another dozen current and older games redone with good VR to make it remotely worthwhile. As is, it feels like VR will hibernate until a combination of AI and AR along with lightweight headsets with easy in-and-out becomes possible; then it'll boom again.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

ive never once cracked open any of my electronics to clean them, my Quest 2 stick drift is so bad now.

Can i try some WD40 in the joystick hole or compressed air? id rather not take my controller apart

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Beer_Suitcase posted:

ive never once cracked open any of my electronics to clean them, my Quest 2 stick drift is so bad now.

Can i try some WD40 in the joystick hole or compressed air? id rather not take my controller apart

Absolutely don't use WD-40. Contact cleaner might help it though.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Turin Turambar posted:

Gimme a little more time

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Beer_Suitcase posted:

I had stick drift without knowing it. The only game I had been playing was Walkabout, and my club kept flying out of my hand to the floor. I just thought it was VD being weird and played that way for about two weeks. But it’s pretty simple to take your controller apart and blast some air into it. I watched a YouTube video and fixed my controller in less than ten minutes.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Beer_Suitcase posted:

Assuming you mean the contact cleaner made by WD-40 sure. But normal rear end WD-40? No.

https://amzn.to/3ZI9SA8

When you end up having to replace em. Its actually really cheap. Theres dozens of brands/knock offs so mileage may very but most of em have similar reviews.

kemikalkadet posted:

Absolutely don't use WD-40. Contact cleaner might help it though.

I said this and then got corrected that WD-40 actually makes a WD-40 branded contact cleaner thing.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

yeah it was easier than I thought

i watched this one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-XxfiFctW0
then cracked that poo poo open and now its working so much better.

edit

I did the Monthly Ultimatum on Pistol Whip and did the new song but its not added to my list of songs now

Beer_Suitcase fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Apr 5, 2023

housemaster!!1
Oct 6, 2015

DUNT 4GEHT 2 FLAAHP UR ARRMAZ
Currently I'm playing Chaos;Head, a visual novel from the Science Adventure franchise, on my Quest 2 via AirPlay and SteamVR and really liking it so far. Sure, its 2D, but the immersion is much better than playing it on my TV. Next I wanna play the game via Big Screen Beta in a japanese school classroom. I just bought the headset and this is the first time I ever experienced VR, but I really really like it.

Unfortunately my eyes start hurting after 30 minutes but I guess thats normal since I have a TV 1cm in front of my eyes.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

VR has been proclaimed doomed since beginning pretty much, but I feel like it's a pretty short sighted proclamation. I have a hard time believing that VR as a whole won't hit a more mainstream level of popularity at some point in the foreseeable future. It's just that it's always faced two huge hurdles with both hardware and software.

First, the hardware was maybe ready in some technical sense back in 2016 when it was introduced to the public, but I think it's safe to say everything about it was rough around the edges. Now in 2023 the hardware has improved significantly, but I still feel like it's not all of the way there. It's just not at that same level of polish people are used to with a smart phone, or console or PC, or the various other devices that people use in mass. It also generally ranges from slightly expensive to very expensive. to this day motion sickness and image quality and HMD comfort seems to be a huge issue for people.

Then there is the software. There's no shortage of it, but in a world where hundreds of millions are spent on making games almost no one is willing to bank on VR because they will lose a ton of money, so it's sort of this self fulfilling prophecy. How is a platform that is 99% indie games even supposed to compete with the major releases seen on other platforms?

I think it'll get there when it gets there. unless hardware manufacturers totally give up on it which is also a possibility I guess.

I love VR but it just needs to be even better than it is now to be thing it wants to be.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I don't see VR ever hitting 'mainstream popularity'. It will be inherently something a bit more niche. Not a strange hobby overall, but for a minority. Like people who read books (I mean, regular book readers who read at least 10-12 books per year, not 2 books per year kind of people). in fact I see some similarities, to like VR you have to be the type of person who will ignore the phone and other people, and just sit for three hours reading a book, no distractions, immersed on the experience.

So around 10-15% of people, maybe?
That said, there are lots of improvements to make still on the hardware side. As a start , it has be easily four times lighter than current headsets.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Apr 5, 2023

DoctorRobert
Jan 20, 2020
Once theres something like the upcoming big screen hmd but affordable and something like metaverse that works properly itll be ace for telecommuting

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

DoctorRobert posted:

itll be ace for telecommuting

Can’t wait to spend a day in work VR and then finally getting to take that off, move to the couch, and put on my smaller home VR

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Turin Turambar posted:

I don't see VR ever hitting 'mainstream popularity'. It will be inherently something a bit more niche. Not a strange hobby overall, but for a minority. Like people who read books (I mean, regular book readers who read at least 10-12 books per year, not 2 books per year kind of people). in fact I see some similarities, to like VR you have to be the type of person who will ignore the phone and other people, and just sit for three hours reading a book, no distractions, immersed on the experience.

So around 10-15% of people, maybe?
That said, there are lots of improvements to make still on the hardware side. As a start , it has be easily four times lighter than current headsets.

I view VR like another niche gaming hobby of mine: sim racing.

There is a whole ecosystem of steering wheels, wheel bases, pedals, shifters, haptics, software and all sorts of stuff out there for people who want to build a sim racing rig and go racing with it. Do 90% of people still just play forza on an xbox controller? Yep, but for the other 10% who want to get into competitive simulations of race cars, there is that whole industry of stuff.

The difference is Fanatec never went "HEY GUYS YOU SHOULD BRING A SIM WHEEL TO YOUR TEAMS MEETING" and tried to jam their hardware in where it doesnt fit and where no one wants it.

VR is a niche product with a niche userbase, and trying to make it a household thing for the people who dont want it to begin with is, as we've seen, a failing proposition. No one buys a VR headset to have a harder time shopping online at walmart.com, they buy it to play games. Let VR be 2% of the steam hardware survey, or whatever it is. Just make the best hardware and software for that 2% that you can.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Capitalism has declared that you can't just make money. You have to be a global juggernaut with a GDP larger than some countries and your active user base has to be at least a whole percentage of the global population or you may as well not even try.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

KillHour posted:

Capitalism has declared that you can't just make money. You have to be a global juggernaut with a GDP larger than some countries and your active user base has to be at least a whole percentage of the global population or you may as well not even try.

:hmmyes:

And since we keep rating success on growth rather than money made it keeps happening in every industry. It's happening with cars now on a big way. Very uncool

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Bad Munki posted:

Can’t wait to spend a day in work VR and then finally getting to take that off, move to the couch, and put on my smaller home VR

Future employment contracts will forbid you from having a bigger and nicer "home" environment than the company's "work" environment. But good news! No one enforces it unless the company gets embarrassed on social media or something.

And absolutely no working from the "home" environment! :notfunny: minimum three days a week in the work enviro

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I get VR motion sick sometimes but I feel this was a bit of an extreme reaction

https://www.theverge.com/23663451/vr-meta-quest-pro-aftercare

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Alctel posted:

This person should probably not be trusted to go outside without supervision

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Good lord lol. That’s some of the most dramatic poo poo I’ve ever read.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Alctel posted:

But did they burn their eyes?!

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Bondematt posted:

But did they burn their eyes?!

I remember when I bought the Virtual Boy at Electronics Boutique the clerk warned me that the red lasers were giving kids eye cancer.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Alctel posted:

If they legitimately had such a reaction to a few minutes of Meta's whatever they're calling it now maybe they should go see a doctor because that seems like A Lot.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Yeah I mean getting sick after 20 mins of play is one thing but getting so hosed up during the setup that you collapse into a fetal position and start screaming for help is uh, pretty bad

Edit: also lol at the Berber rug mention. Just had to get that in there

Alctel fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Apr 5, 2023

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Shoefish posted:

There's a new Pistol Whip track finally, but atm you can only access it by doing the monthly. It's pretty great!

Thanks for the tip. It is pretty great! What was your rating? I got an A but am only rank 608.

The monthly is pretty easy this time too. Double pistols and reinforced.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Alctel posted:

Yeah I mean getting sick after 20 mins of play is one thing but getting so hosed up during the setup that you collapse into a fetal position and start screaming for help is uh, pretty bad

I've occasionally gotten sick from stationary roomscale stuff, usually from the IPD being hosed up like she said. She's right to shame the IPD ranges, they are still absolutely not inclusive enough.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjOZPEmRzw0

Just had a fun hour on this from the app lab. Seems to be geometry wars in VR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risutora
Dec 28, 2006

Alctel posted:

lol vr safeword