Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Akett posted:

There's usually a Rival Wings event most nights on the Revival Wings discord if you don't want to wait for mogtomes. https://discord.gg/pvprevival

Just as a heads up though the server has tons of pepe emotes even if I don't actually see any shithead activity.

I think Twitch caused pepe to loop back around to just being a stupid internet thing instead of a shithead signifier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Today I hit bloodsworn with the omicron, arkasadora, and the lopporites! Can't wait for reset

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Cleretic posted:

So apparently the server update nuked every single Crystal CWLS.

Looks like such devastation was not their intention since all of Crystal is in maintenance.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

SuperKlaus posted:

I think Twitch caused pepe to loop back around to just being a stupid internet thing instead of a shithead signifier.

I can understand the creator's desire to take it back, but it just gave the shitheads an excuse to hide behind. I still see enough "not hiding it nearly as well as they pretend they think they are" bigots to give it a wide berth when possible.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Idk maybe it's who I follow but I see pepe memes from def not alt-right people, I do think it's turned a corner.

At any rate, did you say new dev lore insight??

https://twitter.com/FF_XIV_EN/status/1643267243319644160?t=oP775avmmwEtKVN8QZ8Vpw&s=19

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

guys... I think I saw a frog emote 😨

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

SuperKlaus posted:

Yeah, it's just a straight up Twitch thing nowadays, in the same way that "KEK" is now overwhelmingly associated with El Risitas and not insane 4channers.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Guess who reached Bloodsworn with the Loporrits and didn't get the graffiti erasing cop quest once. :smug:

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Meanwhile I only got the dance off quest once :(

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Vitamean posted:

When I was in San Francisco in about 2017 a German imports store around I think it was Noe Valley displayed a porcelain frog for sale in its window. Like a day later there was a sign next to it stating the "we the owners were unaware it was a hate group symbol and meant no offense by placing it in the window" or along those lines. Even in 2017 when I did figure a pepe was a warning sign I remember that being hilariously oversensitive on the part of whoever "informed" the store.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Bruceski posted:

I can understand the creator's desire to take it back, but it just gave the shitheads an excuse to hide behind. I still see enough "not hiding it nearly as well as they pretend they think they are" bigots to give it a wide berth when possible.

The creator killed off the character and afaik hasn't gone back. This is purely community trying to reclaim it from Nazis.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
a server with a billion pepe emotes can be one full of lovely people or it could be one full of people who somehow managed to miss that it was a sign of that for long enough for it to have fallen out of its peak popularity. I wouldn't assume a server is poo poo for having those emotes but I'd certainly expect a good chunk of dumbass gamers to be on the server somewhere because of it

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Vitamean posted:

feels bad, man

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It's good not to cede things to reactionary shitheads. Cowering in fear before the concept of drinking milk or pepe the funny frog just gives them what they want.

If some bigot is using a pepe you'll know they're a bigot because the days of toeing the line are over, they'll just outright state their intentions openly.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Limited/Exclusive items is bad in every instance, ever.

I have no problem with you getting a special mount/minion/title/glam for buying an artbook or doing PVP or whatever, but after a year, it should be available to everyone, even if it's bought via Mogstation. Same for exclusive pre-order stuff. And if it's for pre-ordering an expansion, make it exclusive until the next expansion.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

I think it's very unlikely that the seasonal pvp rewards will be permanently unavailable. They DID outright say at one point they'd make them buyable with trophy crystals at some point, people just assumed it would be sooner than it has been

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
They should make old Feast mounts available again so that I can have more FF6 references in my mount list

flatluigi posted:

a server with a billion pepe emotes can be one full of lovely people or it could be one full of people who somehow managed to miss that it was a sign of that for long enough for it to have fallen out of its peak popularity.
My anecdotal experience is that there really are a lot of people using pepe and/or peepo types of emotes that really didn't know that nazis were using the frog as their mascot. While I won't use those emotes or even the OK hand now, I don't automatically assume people using them are right wing shitheads.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

the aulus chair was the only thing that made me almost want to rank in Feast the season that it was running

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It's good not to cede things to reactionary shitheads. Cowering in fear before the concept of drinking milk or pepe the funny frog just gives them what they want.

If some bigot is using a pepe you'll know they're a bigot because the days of toeing the line are over, they'll just outright state their intentions openly.

I'm not sure "a mundane part of everyday life that bigots decided to use as a dumb symbol" and "using something mainly known as a dumb bigot symbol because you think it's okay now" are the same thing there.

I won't blame anyone for being ignorant (lord knows I've had plenty) but once you know, when the alternative is just using a different meme? It's really easy not to do.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Endwalker update: just finished Her Children, One And All. Hydaelyn nooooo

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Any glam fiends who can confirm something for me? I've made a few glasses-wearing glams, but had a problem with putting them in portraits, as the perfect angle for the shot always had a giant glare over one of the lenses, but that's not there anymore. Did they stealth fix it or did I just accidentally find a new, better angle?

Maximum Tomfoolery fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Apr 4, 2023

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Bruceski posted:

I won't blame anyone for being ignorant (lord knows I've had plenty) but once you know, when the alternative is just using a different meme?

haven't found anything that expresses the same raw desire over a tasty food pic that radiates from

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Meanwhile I only got the dance off quest once :(

I got it like 70% of the time which was honestly kinda annoying. Like cmon man, how many times do you want to compare our dancing skills here?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

quiggy posted:

Endwalker update

Odd, that's not her name :colbert:

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Sentient Data posted:

Odd, that's not her name :colbert:

Ok I definitely called her Venat at the final thank you choice, watching her tear up made me feel a Genuine Human Emotion

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Bruceski posted:

I'm not sure "a mundane part of everyday life that bigots decided to use as a dumb symbol" and "using something mainly known as a dumb bigot symbol because you think it's okay now" are the same thing there.

I won't blame anyone for being ignorant (lord knows I've had plenty) but once you know, when the alternative is just using a different meme? It's really easy not to do.

i'm on a huge twitch streamer's server that's very well moderated that has tons of pepe emotes and none of them are used in any kind of bigoted way. like, the alt-right tried to use (one very specific) pepe for their own purposes, and generated a lot of media attention (which was their goal), but twitch chatters never gave a poo poo and kept on using all the other ones just like they always had. that one specific pepe is not used anywhere except alt-right shitholes. the billion other pepes are innocent and used all the time by non-bigots. including me.

just because something is "mainly known" as racist by people not connected to these communities doesn't make that the truth. they tried to make pepe the frog a racist symbol and they fuckin' failed. sounds like a victory to me.

Pyp
Jul 29, 2022

Kerrzhe posted:

i'm on a huge twitch streamer's server that's very well moderated that has tons of pepe emotes and none of them are used in any kind of bigoted way. like, the alt-right tried to use (one very specific) pepe for their own purposes, and generated a lot of media attention (which was their goal), but twitch chatters never gave a poo poo and kept on using all the other ones just like they always had. that one specific pepe is not used anywhere except alt-right shitholes. the billion other pepes are innocent and used all the time by non-bigots. including me.

just because something is "mainly known" as racist by people not connected to these communities doesn't make that the truth. they tried to make pepe the frog a racist symbol and they fuckin' failed. sounds like a victory to me.

the main problem with naturalising the usage of dogwhistles is that there is no "we took it from them so now we've won!" because the entire purpose of dogwhistles is to allow bigots/hate groups/reactionaries to talk about their ideals without other people automatically recognising them for what they are while still signalling to fellow bigots that they share an ideology.

the point is that the alt-right does still use those symbols, and now that they've become more common its easier for them to go unnoticed by people who dont know better. it used to be that when you saw someone reference for example a pepe meme you KNEW for sure what kind of person they were & could react accordingly (blocking/ignoring/warning other (vulnerable) people about possible interactions/etc). now you have to wonder if they're crypto or if they're just ignorant. the uncertainty isnt necessarily better. anyway thats all im saying cause this is a bigger discussion & not really for a ffxiv thread, i just wanted to point this out because its super common thinking thats ultimately kinda misguided

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Countblanc posted:

I'm still pissed I didn't claim my S1 title on time so now it's just Gone instead of having been tied to an achievement like a sane system would have done

Me too :negative:.

Mainwaring posted:

I think it's very unlikely that the seasonal pvp rewards will be permanently unavailable. They DID outright say at one point they'd make them buyable with trophy crystals at some point, people just assumed it would be sooner than it has been

They did not. This was from a reddit translation of a liveletter that had other things said in it that did not pan out either. Another example of this was them translating something yoshi p said along the lines of "we're going to be taking a look and adjusting the levels at which certain jobs get their skills" and then this turned out to be them moving 1 single ability (can't remember if it was drk or drg).

Edit: Went and dug up the 70 liveletter digest and what that says about the rewards is, "We went over “series” periods and obtainable rewards. Series EXP can be earned by participating in PvP content, regardless of whether you win or lose. Rewards can be obtained upon reaching new Series Levels. With each Series, your Series Level will be reset and the reward lineup will be changed, but you’ll be able to obtain rewards from one Series prior."

Meanwhile, on the reddit discord, "Y "If you didn't make it in time, you can still use these crystals to obtain the rewards for the previous series, they will stay for one additional patch but will be gone after that"

While in reality, what this actually means is say you hit series level 25 and then have a stroke before you can claim your rewards. While you are in the hospital, the series switches over. When you recover and get back home, you can still go to the previous series' tab and claim the rewards that you have already earned but failed to claim in time. You cannot make any further progression on this track.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Apr 4, 2023

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I guess they probably think FOMO is a necessary evil to keep pvp alive. Who knows, they have the stats, maybe it's even true

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Apr 4, 2023

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

If you let the fash have symbols sooner or later the fash will have every symbol, because they are never going to loving stop with their antics. If you give them an inch they will take the whole mile and still call you a beta cuck groomer at the end of it. I'm glad pepe is being reclaimed.

Feldegast42 fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Apr 4, 2023

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Feldegast42 posted:

If you let the fash have symbols sooner or later the fash will have every symbol, because they are never going to loving stop with their antics. If you give them an inch they will take the whole mile and still call you a beta cuck groomer at the end of it. I'm glad pepe is being reclaimed.

absolutely this

If 4chan started a movement of the peace sign being a racist dogwhistle because they thought it would be funny like they did with the ok sign, have people learned or would everyone just allow them to gently caress with culture so easily?

No Mods No Masters posted:

I guess they probably think FOMO is a necessary evil to keep pvp alive. Who knows, they have the stats, maybe it's even true

It does get me to play pvp when I otherwise would never touch it so :shrug:

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Apr 4, 2023

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

No Mods No Masters posted:

I already liked pvp so I was doing it but this does get me to do a lot more of it than I otherwise would. Which is to say it's my preferred tomestone capper so I was doing it to cap tomestones when I needed them which was a few times a week for about 11 weeks whenever an even numbered patch dropped.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

oh yeah the next, like, week is gonna be a banger for pvp exp if you wanna jump in to CC ranked. at least while bronze and silver are still populated you get a lot of matches in with queues popping instantly between them. if you majorly mess up no one's gonna remember your name or face just jump in and have a good time.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Everyone should experience the joy of blowing someone’s loving head off with an anti-tank rifle or juggle-kicking them 20 feet into the air at least once imo.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
The PVP armor clips really badly with equipment, would not recommend grinding for it.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I'll settle for the joy of dropping Bahamut on a team defending the crystal and watching my team immediately take control of it from the pile of corpses (my team retaining control of the crystal not guaranteed).

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Ojjeorago posted:

The PVP armor clips really badly with equipment, would not recommend grinding for it.

what equipment, like weapons?

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Kheldarn posted:

Limited/Exclusive items is bad in every instance, ever.

I have no problem with you getting a special mount/minion/title/glam for buying an artbook or doing PVP or whatever, but after a year, it should be available to everyone, even if it's bought via Mogstation. Same for exclusive pre-order stuff. And if it's for pre-ordering an expansion, make it exclusive until the next expansion.

:yeah:

Where are my $200+ emotes SE?

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Can’t you buy the collectors editions to get pre order bonuses?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Consummate Professional posted:

Can’t you buy the collectors editions to get pre order bonuses?

Nope. For example, buying the Endwalker Digital Collector's Edition Upgrade gets you the Arion Mount, Wind-Up Porom, and Death Scythe, but not the Menphina Earring.