Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

LJN92 posted:

Make sure to grab this before continuing. The Earth Ring isn't necessary to any puzzles, but it will be used to unlock new areas, treasure chests and the like. You will have another opportunity to get it, but only much later in the game.

I never thought about this being missable, that's kind of funny. Makes sense that there's an alternate option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.
This section is what I was referring to when I said the game occasionally had good ideas. When I was playing this, I was fairly intrigued as to where this story would go. Potential time travel? Even though Faize was adamant that the ships warp drive did not work like that, Star Trek at least established that warping around a high gravity point could slingshot someone through time and was thinking this was something like that and was having all kinds of ideas of what could happen.

And then I saw where the story did end up.

My ideas were better.

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

Update 16 - Galaxy-Brain Edge

"Captain's Log, 1957 A.D. You know, I really should have asked Klaus for the exact date.

We broke into this secret military base with Klaus' help, and have managed to find and rescue Meracle Chamlotte, the cat girl alien that was being held here. She has offered to help us rescue Reimi, and I'm always keen to bring every random person I find into battle with me!

Just wanted to make a quick log, cause we're about to bust into a big chamber, and I'm sure something big will go down there."

Before we move on, let's discuss Meracle as a character in battle. She's a typical glass cannon character, having low HP and defence but high damage output. She can be useful, but is also prone to dying more frequently than any of your other party members. It's also noteworthy that she's the first melee oriented character we've acquired since the beginning. Faize doesn't count because he may have a melee weapon, but he has nothing but Symbology attacks. She is considered one of the best characters in the game, mechanically speaking. But we won't be putting her in our party.

Meracle's blindside sees her do some super speed poo poo. Because she's fast. Like a cat. :rimshot:

Anyway, enough about Meracle, let's move on.

Click here to meet a very trustworthy person.

That's Edge.

Now Playing - Dreams Frozen in Amber

And that's Faize.

Bacchus delivers an unsubtitled line at this point.

"Their transportation technology is actually quite impressive."

"You know, these guys aren't really a threat to us. I've taken multiple shots from Cardianon laser weapons and lived."

"Indeed, I am certain their primitive ballistic weapons cannot penetrate my cold, steel body."

"We even fought massive dragon creatures, I am sure we can survive these minnows."

The soldiers stand down.

"I am the chief director of this base. My name is Milla Bachtein."

And nobody will address how progressive it is for a 1957 US military base to be run by a woman.

"So you're the one in charge of this operation, then?"

"Yes. I hope you will forgive my subordinates' disrespect."

"Huh? No, uh...likewise..."

"Edge, did you hear what she said? She just called herself "Bachtein.""

"Ah! Are you..."

"Yes...Klaus is my husband. Or, rather, he was my husband. Foolish sentimentality kept me from changing my last name."

"This could be...difficult."

"Yeah..."

Why? Because Klaus might be upset if we slap his ex-wife?

"I don't blame you for hating me...I'm not asking for you to understand, but I had no choice."

"...You had no choice? What do you mean by that?"

"..."

"We fought a lot of monsters to get here. You people cal them "test subjects.""

"You made the decisions. You had a choice!"

The soldiers train their guns on the party at Edge's aggression, but Milla signals for them to stand down once more.

"I understand that my work here might be considered inhumane. The guilt was what pushed Klaus to leave this place. But unfortunately, I have crossed the point of no return. There is something I must protect, no matter how much shame it brings me..."

"And what's that? Your professional name?"

"The situation on our Earth is very different from the future you hail from. Our energy is nearly depleted. In fact...it may not even last for more than a few years."

Anybody know of any super energy crises around 1957? Cause I don't. Now there's another explanation for why Milla's saying this, but it should make Edge wonder, given it doesn't fit Earth's history.

"Despite the uniform, I am a scientist. Such a deduction is not beyond my means. Though I must admit, Miss Saionji's information was the key to making that deduction."

"What have you done with Reimi? Is she safe!?"

"I assure you. I have not harmed her in any way. She seemed rather exhausted from her ordeal, so I've given her a room to rest in."

"I...I see..."

"To solve the looming energy crisis, our world has its eyes on a certain type of energy. The most powerful force known to man...If you're from the future, I'm sure you know what that is."

"The most powerful energy in 1957..."

"Exactly. But what will come of relying on an energy source that could destroy the world?"

Except that nuclear energy isn't that dangerous. It can cause a localized disaster if mismanaged, but it isn't world destroying. It's nuclear warheads that blow the planet in Edge's future.

"That's why I'm here. I seek a safer, more complete source of energy. I research extraterrestrial technology for the sake of that ideal."

"That may be, but I cannot agree with your methods. I'm not even certain how all those ludicrous experimental monsters fit into energy conservation anyway..."

"Yes, I understand. However...For the people of Earth...and..."

"Wait, are you...?"

"The world in which you come from surely must have surmounted its energy problems long ago. Indeed, I am sure the people of your time live upon their Earth in perfect harmony."

*Grunt of emotional pain*

I just want to point out that if Milla heard anything about this future from Reimi, the first thing she would have told her is "The future is a blasted hellscape with fat, obstreperous jerks running our only hope at survival".

"The people of this Earth need extraterrestrial technology. An energy source so perfect it brings with it no pollution..."

"A non-polluting...energy source...? What if...and I stress "if"..."

"You're saying...we could change the future...?"

"Edge?"

"You're saying...The Earth could stay blue, stay beautiful...?"

"Absolutely...if you would but help us."

"Yes...a beautiful future."

Edge seems to contemplate it for a moment...

"...?"

"How can we save this planet...How can we save this planet's future?"

"Mr. Edge! Do you understand what it could mean to alter the course of the future?"

"History could end up changing completely! Edge, this could affect you directly!"

"And it's not just you. Something may happen to Miss Reimi, as well."

"I know...I know!"

"That broken Earth is my home...And even if I could never go back there, this is the least I could do..."

"Edge..."

"I'm going to be as direct as I can. Will you allow me to analyze its control core?"

"Control core?"

"She must mean the exalithium crystal...It's true, they're an absolute necessity for the generation of mass energy..."

:sigh:

"You have to stop your inhumane research on extraterrestrials. If you encounter any more, you have to promise to work together with them. And most importantly, I need your word that you'll do nothing to contaminate this beautiful planet."

Hey Edge, in your history lessons, did anyone ever inform you that the Earth was fragmented into multiple countries at this point? So it doesn't matter if you get the US on board, because the Soviets and others are there to make trouble?

On top of that, a promise from some scientist lady in a military base doesn't mean poo poo for the actual US government. Christ, man, think this through...

"I wouldn't have it any other way. That is the very goal of our research."

:hai:

Because we can always trust someone when they say you can!

We then cut to black.

Soldier: "Ma'am!"

He runs off with the crystal.

Everyone follows, and we get another cut.

Both Faize and Bacchus seem to look at...something.

"Please, feel free to relax in here, along with Miss Saionji."

"Reimi...she's inside?"

"Come, step inside."

Everyone steps inside.

I think that's Lymle talking.

"No way...Milla! What are you doing!?"

"And about your antimatter engine..."

"You tricked us!?"

"That's not a very gentlemanly way to put it."

"What!?"

"And rest assured, this planet will not be contaminated. We will no longer need to damage the Earth in order to destroy our enemies."

She cackles as evilly as she obviously was this whole time.

"No...Why..."

Faize above.

"That...looks like very bad news."

Now Playing - Harlequin's Slumber

"It's an antimatter reactor."

"They're normally used with exalithium crystals to control pair annihilation, thus providing tremendous amounts of energy."

"An overload is inevitable..."

"I built the ultimate system together with Klaus...and we are the brightest minds of the century."

"Mother is going to breathe new life into you now...and don't worry, I'm sure your father will join us..."

Yeah, we're really reducing this woman's motives to motherhood. Christ...

"She's insane. She's been insane...all along..."

"What are we to do, Mr. Edge? If the reactor overloads, it will be the end of us all."

And the scene finally ends there.

Let's go over just how monumentally stupid this entire plot is, shall we?

After fighting our way through an evil lab full of Frankenstein monsters and Fascist rear end in a top hat soldiers, Edge is immediately taken in by the pathetic and empty promises of the first woman he sees, deciding to hand over the keys to an extremely powerful device on the vague chance it might change the future for the better. Said woman then tells everyone to go stand in a room, which turns out to be a trap, and goes full mask off, turning out to be the crazy evil Fascist lady everyone assumed she was when they saw her.

Edge has not only doomed his entire party but also the planet, because small spoiler, but the overload is powerful enough to annihilate the Earth as well.

I do understand that Edge is supposed to be this woefully naive idealist, and that Milla deliberately played on his desire to save the hellscape future. But taking the word of a person who has proven their willingness to take morally compromised actions is approaching childish levels of naivety. I would have expected this behaviour from Lymle, not Edge.

But it's not just Edge who's a moron in this situation. Faize and Bacchus have to shoulder some blame too. They did object, but here's an idea: rather than tell Edge he might change the future, something he desperately wants, why not say "DO NOT TAKE MILLA AT HER WORD!"? Lord knows they were suspicious enough of Klaus when he first appeared, but they never suggest to Edge that the far more suspicious Milla can't actually be trusted. The only explanation can be that tri-Ace didn't want to give them the opportunity to torpedo their plot. Heck, even though Meracle is dumber than the average house cat, surely she should have objected harder to working with someone that basically tortured her?

I should also think that they could consider physically opposing Edge on this. Like I get they wouldn't want to fight a friend and he's their captain and what have you, but if someone you knew was about to turn over an extremely powerful device to an extremely untrustworthy person, and you knew the results could be this catastrophic, wouldn't you at least punch them in the nose? Maybe shake them and say "WHY ARE YOU THIS loving DUMB!?"

On top of that, Edge's party were in a position of negotiating strength. Milla needed their cooperation to get the crystal, and those soldiers couldn't have possibly been a threat to them. Why not use the opportunity to demand they produce Reimi, who they only had Milla's word to assume was safe? That way they'd also avoid the trap. Of course, Milla could threaten Reimi's life for the crystal, but that would make it clear she wasn't on their side, and it would have been better writing than Edge blithely trusting her. But no, we need Edge to do this specific Fucky Wucky to teach him an ultra specific lesson.

Oh well, rant over, let's get on with this stupidity fest.

We can move around in this cell and talk to our party members. To proceed, we must talk to the currently unconscious Reimi.

Click here for a predictable joke between Edge and Reimi.

"Reimi...Thank God..."

"What happened...?"

Yeah, we're really doing this in the middle of this disaster, huh?

Makes you wonder why the gently caress they needed to strip her down to nothing. What, they wanted to eliminate the possibility she had any extraterrestrial features?

"Reimi, no, I, uh, I didn't mean to..."

:shepicide:

Brief cut.

I know she needed to get dressed into something, but the fact that she also did up her skirt dongles and ribbon is amusing to me. Also the fact that her clothes and weapon were stored a short walk from her bed.

Now Playing - Tears in the Sun Make a Rainbow

"Even if we were able to stop the reactor, it's too late now. There's going to be a massive pair annihilation."

"What's going to happen to us?"

"Isn't there anything...anything we can do to stop it?"

"...It's too late. We have no hands left to play."

"They opened it themselves: a Pandora's Box they have no hope of closing."

"No!"

Uh, YES!?

"Edge, you did it because you wanted to save the future!"

And yet it was an abominably stupid idea. Good intentions do not excuse blithering stupidity.

A rare moment where Edge is completely and utterly correct.

"It's all...it's all my fault..."

"...Faize."

"You have a duty to perform. Don't leave it unfulfilled."

"You have to make a decision, Mr. Edge. Not as a guilty man, but as a captain. Our captain."

"Bacchus..."

"We have to get the hell off this planet!"

The scene ends, and on that note, so shall the update. I will leave you to ruminate on Edge's unbelievable foolishness.

Join me next time, where we find out what convenient contrivances will get us off this rock.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Jesus Christ

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
this is the 'worth the price of admission' bit

I do not think I have ever seen an arc stupider than this in any media property, and the best part is its all played completely straight

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Holy poo poo lmao.

Like... okay first we have the whole bit where Edge is a loving moron dipshit, but that's just Edge.

The other thing is that once again they kind of hold an interesting scenario in their hands and then they just loving slam it into the ground and dance on it instead of using it.

We had going into space to find NEW HOMES FOR MANKIND... ehhhh actually they're all already settled by alien races most of which we knew about already.

Then we had HUMAN GOVERNMENTS ALREADY KNEW ABOUT ALIENS, AND WORK WITH THEM... and everyone just adjusted to that loving giant shocker in the span of an afternoon.

Then we had EVILBAD CRYSTALS ARE TURNING ALIENS INTO EVILBAD MUTANTS... and that once again distracted the team for half a day.

Then there was TIME TRAVEL INTO THE NOT-YET-hosed PAST... which could've been so many things. It could've been a story about the dangers of loving with the timeline, it could've been that it wasn't really the past but instead some alternate dimension or false projection or any number of things. Like it could've even gone into Chrono Trigger territory and actually let us make some changes and have them have lesser or greater effects on the primary timeline when we returned to it.

But instead it just yanked the whole thing out from under our feet and no it's just evilbad mutant monstermans in the past and we're clearly not going to change a loving thing. My bet is it's just going to turn out to be a stable time loop and we were always here because we always had to be here or something and the changes we made are already part of the primary timeline.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Stupidity like this drives me to drink. how

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Edge Maverick? More like ... Dumb Dumbass

:smuggo:

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
I... don't know what I expected, but the game sure delivered in the nonsense department.

This plot really is one idea to the next, isn't it?

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Reimi has just gotten rescued and she still can't pass up the chance to be a bitch. Every single female character in this game barring the random fanservice elf has made me want to smash my hand through my computer screen while all the dudes minus the villains and other jackasses seem to be coldly rational, except for Edge in this colossal blunder, and even then when he's so gullible as to take mad scientist lady at her word no questions asked, he still comes off as eloquent by comparison. Is this going to be an ongoing pattern?

Shitenshi fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Apr 3, 2023

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
don't worry, you'll learn to hate faize, fanservice elf (it is not a spoiler she will end up a party member, look at how many goddamned polygons she has), AND the remainder of the main cast we've yet to meet. give the story some time.

bacchus comes out okay but that's exclusively because it's hard to gently caress up Big Guy Gives Exposition

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The energy crisis may be related to hitting peak oil, which well...

These guys or at least the scientist also wear spikes and they love the color red. Maybe they are also good guys being influenced by those Grigori?

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
Wait, she named the reactor Kevin? The hell is that about?

...I mean, I know, all the other stupid poo poo going down, this should barely register, but Kevin the anti-matter reactor is just completely out of nowhere.

I was expecting the other party members to be useless.
I was expecting Edge fuckin' Maverick (sick wailing guitar riff) to get slapped for staring at anime titties eventually.
I was expecting the storytelling potential to be completely squandered in favor of more contrived anime bullshit.
I was expecting laughable dialogue.
I was most definitely expecting Edge fuckin' Maverick (sick wailing guitar riff) to be a dipshit, given his violent allergy to doing anything intelligent, ever.
I was not expecting Kevin the shoddily-built reactor and apocalypse du jour.

Fabulous work, tri-Ace. I can't believe they still let you make games.

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

EggsAisle posted:

Wait, she named the reactor Kevin? The hell is that about?

Minor spoiler, but she had a son named Kevin that died, and so she named the reactor after said son. That's why she's going all "I CAN HEAR YOUR FIRST CRY" because as a woman, she is contractually obligated to have her true motivation be about motherhood and children. Oh and I assume she thinks alien supertechnology will let her resurrect her dead son or some poo poo.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

EggsAisle posted:

Fabulous work, tri-Ace. I can't believe they still let you make games.

Not to say all their work is this or Infinite Undiscovery, they've got some gems (some more rough-cut than others, sure). Although, they may or may not be making games for much longer, their finances haven't been great.

Still waiting to see how Faize manages to join the "ugh crew", as it were. He's been pretty mild thus far.

Also, never thought I'd be mentally weighing this against Revelation, (which admittedly may be an unfair comparison with it having previous content to lift and not me having gotten to the true meat of it yet). For the first few updates, this was pretty alright if unexceptional. One can pull off a story that's mostly episodic vignettes like this seems to be halfway aiming at, but said vignettes need to be compelling to bridge the gaps.

In the only bit of fairness I can think to hand to it, it's not like Edge was picked to be a captain from the start, he just inherited the role by way of him and girl.jpg being the only dude around left standing. He's got sub-standard training for the job and a lot of new things are flying his way all the time. Still, some peak levels of JRPG trust the obviously mustache twirling villain here. Some amount of naivete is expected, but the setup for this outcome could've been a lot better.

I hate that I was able to predict exactly where the Kevin thing was going. :sigh:

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

don't worry, you'll learn to hate faize, fanservice elf (it is not a spoiler she will end up a party member, look at how many goddamned polygons she has), AND the remainder of the main cast we've yet to meet. give the story some time.

bacchus comes out okay but that's exclusively because it's hard to gently caress up Big Guy Gives Exposition

Oh I already know all about the magic of Faize, both that it's a colossal spoiler, and that it also somehow manages to be even dumber than the third game's infamous plot twist.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

can we also talk about the insanely heavy handed :godwin: in the room? Milla could not be more blatantly Nazi coded without them literally tattooing a swastika on her forehead.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
They did the same for the Cardianons.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The most upsetting thing about SO4 is that people tell me 5 is worse

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't get round to finishing SO5 but I got a good way in and the story and characters are pretty normal in comparison tbh. Not least in part because you are not hopping from planet to planet so you're not getting disconnected setpieces. Perhaps the Star Ocean series is actually better when you're stuck on medieval planet X for half the game.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Rody One Half posted:

5 is the only thing worse than 4's incredible stupidity: it's boring as poo poo

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014

I rage quit 5 after, following a long sequence where you rescue someone who was kidnapped, they were immediately kidnapped again. Also its combat tried the bold experiment of "what if your entire party is on the field at once" which makes encounters become increasingly incoherent as you get 5+ teammates.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

5 is kind of funny since while I had always heard 4 is an incredibly infamously stupid and awful, I basically never even knew 5 existed or ever heard someone mention it until I learned 6 had come out. Not sure if that's worse or not then what 4 has been giving us.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
I only knew 5 existed because I happened to see it on a shelf at Walmart. I looked at it with great trepidation considering how 4 went and promptly forgot about it.

4 turned me off to the series, and tri-ace in general honestly. Tales of is now my go to for Incredbily Anime RPGs since they have a higher level of quality overall.... usually.

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

Rody One Half posted:

Yeah. Star Ocean 5 is the definition of stale, white bread. The only interesting thing I can say about the protagonist is he's like 23 years old at the start, rather than being either 18 or 20.

And they have a girl character that manages to be more girl.jpg than Faina and Reimi put together, to the point the climax of her story is being a surrogate mother to the random waif they pick up during the story. The one ZCKaiser mentioned getting kidnapped repeatedly.

Also there's a space battle in the game that you never see. You just watch the bridge crew rattle off dialogue while the screen shakes. Even Star Ocean 4 has actual space battles.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

But it IS called Integrity And Faithlessness

e: actually I think the worst part of SO4 might be that neither Lymle nor Meracle are actually the dumbest party member

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Apr 4, 2023

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Okay, definitely starting to see some of the problems Infinite Undiscovery had with everyone making the most boneheaded decisions and the writers being just the worst about anything that presents as female.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Rody One Half posted:

But it IS called Integrity And Faithlessness

e: actually I think the worst part of SO4 might be that neither Lymle nor Meracle are actually the dumbest party member

It's going to be hard to take the idiot award from Edge and also everyone who enables him at this point. That means that Reimi has the title of "least dumb party member" simply by virtue of not having been part of this frankly insane decision.

Why couldn't they have simply... threatened Reimi to get Edge to give up the core? That would have worked and still given the party some kind of high ground while still keeping Edge's deep naivete as his defining trait.

Edit: Also this is the point I'm pretty sure where you have the reason he is named "Edge" in the first place: So they could make an ecchi pun during the slapping scene.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Apr 4, 2023

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

marshmallow creep posted:

It's going to be hard to take the idiot award from Edge and also everyone who enables him at this point.

Good news, we have more party members to get

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Are they going to try and redeem Edge by saying "hey, at least he isn't as dumb as this dummy, right?"

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

Update 17 - Crawling in Edge's Skin

When we last left off, Edge committed the galaxy's biggest Fucky Wucky by giving an obviously evil Fascist lady a crystal that could (and now will inevitably) destroy the Earth of 1957 because she pinky promised him she wouldn't be evil if she had clean, green and limitless energy.

We now pick up where Edge and Co. are imprisoned in a cell, hoping to escape both it and the fate of the planet.

We open with another segment where we can talk to our party members.

Faize here is lamenting not realising Milla had a reactor, but he really should be lamenting not telling Edge not to trust the evil Fascist lady. Or perhaps physically stopping Edge from turning over a doohickey that could blow up a planet.

Talking to Meracle is the only way to proceed.

Click here to find out how everyone escapes.

Now Playing - Whistle on the Wind (Solo I)

Yeah, Klaus is still alive. You would be forgiven for thinking they beat him to death last time, but I guess they just knocked him out, and in a way that gave him enough time to recover and come over here.

Also he really felt the need to play Ocarina right now. Not like he couldn't just say "HEY GUYS IT'S ME!"

"I don't hear anything, 'kay?"

"No, I know that sound! I...I gave it to the Professor..."

"Check it out, everyone!"

Everyone walks out the gap.

"If we follow this walkway, we should be able to reach the Calnus!"

Now Playing - Whistle on the Wind (Tearful Mix)

"...Professor!"

"Professor, you look like you've lost some weight."

"...Oh?"

Meracle hugs him again.

"If I'm going, I'm going with you!"

"I can't, Meracle. It's Milla...There's something I have to tell her."

"Kevin...Klaus..."

Scientist: "Aw gently caress, she's insane! How did we not see this coming!?"

Soldier: "At least I'll die knowing I never missed a day of work."

Klaus kind of lowers his head here. I think it's a signal to Edge that they need to leave without him?

*Ineffectual pantywaist grunt*

Edge drags Meracle away, and everyone else makes tracks.

"I'm sorry I left you when you were in such pain...But we both know our son wouldn't have wanted this."

The cutscenes don't make this clear at all, but Milla's entry states Kevin died at 2 years old due to radiation from a UFO that Milla was investigating. As in, she took her 2 year old to work and got him killed.

Honestly Klaus, I think she is to blame. She's in charge of a military base, she could afford a nanny.

"Let's make that boy's dream a reality. Let's work towads friendship with all extraterrestrials. And let's do it through our own abilities. Not through technology beyond our means..."

"Yes, that sounds wonderful, Klaus. I'm sure that would make him happy..."

Would have been nice if she could have had this revelation a few minutes ago. Although I guess it's more of a dying moment of clarity.

This looks very ominous, but the reactor ain't exploding just yet.

"Professor..."

We get a brief segment where we must head to the exit. It's nothing interesting. We can fight battles with the same enemies from before, find some treasure chests, that's it. I don't think there's a time limit, but if there is, it's very generous.

Click here for our daring escape from Earth.

Now Playing - Tears in the Sun Make a Rainbow

The walkway collapses when Edge tries to walk on it.

"Meracle, come on! Get over here!"

"I...I'm staying here with the Professor. I don't...I don't have any other friends..."

"You will literally die if you stay here!"

"Well if I don't have any friends, then I want to be dead!"

"You have friends...Right here!"

"...Edge."

"So come on!"

"Professor..."

Meracle backs up to take a flying leap...

"I'm helping, 'kay?"

Meracle is pulled up, and we cut to the Calnus trying to escape.

Now Playing - State of Emergency

"Without an exalithium crystal...We can't escape this gravitational field with our normal engines."

In other words, Edge's Fucky Wucky continues to shoot everyone in the feet.

"No...we made it this far..."

"Is this...the end!?"

"I feel a flashback coming on!"

"But you'd be lonely if I left, wouldn't you, Professor? After all, you don't have many friends...So..."

"Whenever you get lonely, you can use it to remember me, okay?"

"Wow, wow! It's such a pretty pendant..."

"Let it guide your way into space. One day, I'm sure it will be of use to you..."

"What do you expect us to do with a pendant...?"

Now Playing - Event Horizon

"But-"

Yes, that's right, in the mother of all contrivances, Klaus happened to give Meracle an exalithium crystal as a pendant, which happened to be of the right make to be able to power a starship's engine.

We then cut to shortly later.

"Amazing...I've never seen this kind of power!"

"How fascinating. I'd certainly like to study this in detail when we have time."

"Thank you...Professor."

"Edgie!"

The Calnus takes off...

And the Earth is annihilated.

"We managed to make it home."

"This is mere speculation, but the spatial collapse may have served to thrust us back to the time from which we came. Unfortunately, I cannot be certain."

Two contrivances for the price of one update: the pair annihilation sent them back to the exact place and time they come from!

"We extraterrestrials are one thing, but given the fact that you two Earthlings have not vanished from existence...Perhaps that planet existed in a different dimension...An alternate Earth that was not your own."

So there's our explanation for any discrepancies of that Earth, although you'd still think our goobers would notice them.

"That would mean...!"

Now Playing - Yin and Yang

"4.6 billion years...After having miraculously survived for 4.6 billion years...It was annihilated...in a single instant...Just like that. So...so simply..."

Edge smashes his fists into his console.

Preach!

gently caress you, Reimi, it's 100% true!

"Edgie!"

"Edge, you did your best!"

The gently caress he did, he took the word of the woman who tormented you.

"You get it!? It's all gone forever! My bad judgement pushed those people over the edge!"

"I didn't go into space for this...I went for mankind's future...its happiness. drat it all!"

Yeah, honestly. Edge most of all, but man, Bacchus, there's so much you could have done to stop it.

"Yes...Bacchus is right. None of us were able to prevent this from happening..."

"If I hadn't been there...If I hadn't handed over our technology..."

"I...I finally made some new friends...You asked me to come with you, but..."

Meracle starts crying.

Edge screams a maudlin scream. And the scene finally ends there. Good loving grief.

I just want to make things clear: this arc is over. There won't be some follow up where we find out the Grigori were involved in this. Alt Earth was it's own thing, and all that came out of it is Meracle joining us. Not that there won't be any reference to it at all, but nothing that makes it integral to the game's plot.

Due to our party mix up, we have to reassign rooms on the Calnus. You may notice above that I have put Faize and Lymle in the same room. This is now possible because they have had enough scenes together to have roommate level affinity.

Notice how Faize is happy to room with Lymle. HAPPY! Lymle is more...tsundere about it.

The kicker is that rooming Faize and Lymle is necessary if you want to see all the character endings. The game is encouraging, even coercing you into putting the mental and physical six year old in with an 18 year old man. :shepicide:

Anyway, after this, we have free movement. Not much we can do, but we can save after all those long cutscenes. Once we're ready to move on, we use the captain's chair.

And that is what we shall do...next time.

Join me next time, where we start playing Star Ocean 1.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Thanks for making this about you, Meracle.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Short expiry date on that extra Earth.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

LJN92 posted:

"You get it!? It's all gone forever! My bad judgement pushed those people over the edge!"

It is at this point in the story that our hero truly earned the name of Edge Maverick.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Ah, Edge finally hit the moment really befitting his name. An emotional breakdown is justified, you did just delete the entirety of an alternate universe's Earth- and yeah, it really was your fault.

...So this was all just to obtain the catgirl? There's no lasting connection to the main plot? I suppose we'll have to wait and find out if this sudden moment of clarity sticks with Edge.

Flawless storytelling here.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
and so Edge Maverick was welcomed into the Mike Nelson "Protagonists Who Have Blown Up The Planet Earth Through Their Own Incompetence" club, alongside Archie from Archie Comics and... actually i think that might be the only other member

they will not drop this plot point, but they will instead take it in a direction that is even more insufferable than just forgetting it ever happened

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Seems like it really was a Mirrored Universe instead of time travel.

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

...Man, I must have completely blocked out this alternate Earth part from my memories, because I don't remember this at all. Other than Meracle existing.

I'm so glad Star Ocean 6 is better than this in basically every way(Except performance on PC).

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Did they fire their writing team before making 6?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

marshmallow creep posted:

Are they going to try and redeem Edge by saying "hey, at least he isn't as dumb as this dummy, right?"
please be excited