Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Shammypants posted:

Are Sanrio and Ghibli theme parks rear end or good? Worth the trip? Can't trust what I am finding online

Is something awful analogue now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Mister Chief posted:

When you need help in an international travel situation, think of Something Awful. The :pigsballs: you can trust.

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pollyanna posted:

(As for Shodoshima, it was kind of a bust and we finished it within like 4-5 hours. We also paid like $85 for the car ferry but we really didn’t need the car at all.)

Lol, sorry.

During the height of Covid, Shodoshima was the consolation school trip for all the 6th graders in town. I felt so bad for them, lol.

You could drive down to Kochi, it's only about an hour away.

You could see if Oshima is open to visitors yet (it hadn't been since Covid started but not sure about now.)

This is always nice.

Comedy option: udon tour.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Mister Chief posted:

The internet is a terrifying place, full of lies.. about Sanrio

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

Shammypants posted:

Are Sanrio and Ghibli theme parks rear end or good? Worth the trip? Can't trust what I am finding online

I don't know about Sanrio but I would avoid Ghibli until they finish construction on more of the attractions. Currently the park consists of a bunch of photo ops that you wait in line for, and there is only one area. We had run out of things to do at the park in less than two hours, and this includes waiting like 20 minutes just to get a picture with No Face.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Shammypants posted:

Sanrio is for little kids. Really little kids. Ghibli is incomplete. So no, neither is worth the trip unless you have really little kids or want a few photo ops.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
So is Disney and Pokémon??????

Great if you have a ticket, but don’t make it like your life pilgrimage, over some pop culture poo poo

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Wonton posted:

So is Disney and Pokémon??????

Not all kids are the same, especially when it comes to ages and activities. Disney caters to a wide age group, whereas I’m guessing Sanrio is little kids (like 5 and under possibly?) and someplace like the Anpanman Museum is for really little ones. And this is important to keep in mind if you’re planning stuff with family.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Dragon Quest Island and the other mini theme parks at Nijigen no Mori on Awajishima are cool.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh gently caress. How much of a day does Nijigen no Mori take up.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Going to Japan in October. Only place in Asia we've been is Hong Kong. Really looking forward to it.

I think our itinerary is a little packed but wife is adamant. I like to marinate in big cities for a little while.

October 11-15 Tokyo
October 15-18 Kyoto
October 18-22 Osaka

Definitely going to have to be a little picky with activities. I suggested we just day trip to Kyoto from Osaka but she wants to stay in a Ryokan. I think that would get real old real fast.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

I had some friends come to Japan in mid October and complain it was too hot, which made sense because I was also complaining it was too hot. Keep that in mind I guess.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Kaddish posted:

but she wants to stay in a Ryokan. I think that would get real old real fast.

Yeah, getting treated really well and being served incredible food is boring.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

AHH F/UGH posted:

I had some friends come to Japan in mid October and complain it was too hot, which made sense because I was also complaining it was too hot. Keep that in mind I guess.

I checked the average weather for the time frame and it looks very reasonable coming from Tampa Bay!

Waltzing Along posted:

Thanks, you get it!

I suppose I don't know what to expect, in practical terms, even after doing some research. Like many things it probably depends on the price range. Regardless, it's something we're definitely doing.

I'd be grateful for suggestions for one in Kyoto. I've found several good-looking candidates online but it's always nice to get the opinion of someone who has been there.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Kaddish posted:

Going to Japan in October. Only place in Asia we've been is Hong Kong. Really looking forward to it.

I think our itinerary is a little packed but wife is adamant. I like to marinate in big cities for a little while.

October 11-15 Tokyo
October 15-18 Kyoto
October 18-22 Osaka

Definitely going to have to be a little picky with activities. I suggested we just day trip to Kyoto from Osaka but she wants to stay in a Ryokan. I think that would get real old real fast.

That doesn't sound packed. I also like to take my time and I'm doing a similar trip with friends this summer, with ~5 days in Tokyo and ~4 days in Kyoto planned, with TBD for our last 6 days. Switching between Kyoto and Osaka seems a little funny too. I did a similar trip about 10 years ago and we did daytrips from Kobe to Osaka just fine, and that's only a little further to Osaka from Kyoto. We did change hotels between Kobe and Kyoto though, and Osaka to Kyoto seems like the upper limit of reasonable travel time, but if you're spending < 2 full days in Osaka I wouldn't bother changing hotels for it. I did not think Osaka was especially interesting, but loved Kyoto and Nara.

I spent 10 days in Tokyo with my family about 20 years ago (holy poo poo, 20 loving years) and that seemed like a pretty exhaustive amount of time to spend in Tokyo, and we were ready to leave. I don't think I'd ever spend more than 7 days in a city again if I was there purely as a tourist so YMMV. My wife and I spent 12 days in Mexico City for earlier this year which was like 6 days too long for us. I don't remember the last time I went somewhere and thought "I wish I had more time here" and besides Mexico City I haven't spent more than 5 tourist days in a single city in the last 6 years so there's definitely some personality stuff to consider.

E: Also all of us in my friend group agreed that ryokans sound cool for one day, and one day only. I don't understand the connection between her wanting to stay in a ryokan with her wanting to stay in Osaka and not visit it as a daytrip. Staying in Osaka also makes sense to me, Kyoto and Nara are super easily visitable as daytrips from Osaka, and it's not like ryokans exist exclusively in Kyoto.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Apr 4, 2023

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I think we’re going to compromise and do one day in a posh ryokan and then make Osaka our base of operations for the remainder. Appreciate the input.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

I like good food and local cuisine when travelling but I don’t really want to have to deal with a pre-arranged dining time every day of a vacation, and I also don’t really eat breakfast normally. Too much service can actually be inconvenient; ask any European who has ever been to a restaurant in North America.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Make sure to go to Kiyomizudera and drink the magic water.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Nessus posted:

Make sure to go to Kiyomizudera and drink the magic water.

And go into the womb.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I might start spending only 3-4 nights max in any city I go to on vacation, personally. I honestly don’t find moving hotels to be difficult and having the option to cut down on travel time via trains or car by changing your base is actually very, very nice. IMO, a 3-night stay is enough for any city not named Tokyo - there’s just too much to go see!

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

I might start spending only 3-4 nights max in any city I go to on vacation, personally. I honestly don’t find moving hotels to be difficult and having the option to cut down on travel time via trains or car by changing your base is actually very, very nice. IMO, a 3-night stay is enough for any city not named Tokyo - there’s just too much to go see!

Yeah 3-4 full days / 4-5 nights is the sweet spot for me too. Even in Paris or Rome or Tokyo or whatever, yes I could spend more than 3-4 full days there but also I’m traveling far and would like to see more in the general area. Maybe add a day or two if I am jet lagged to start. If I love the city then I will be back some day, but so far I’ve never been disappointed with having only 4 full days in a single place, ajusted for jet lag and traveling with small children. I might also have a severe case of wanderlust so not trying to judge anyone who can spend 15 days in Tokyo and love every minute, but that is definitely not me.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Maybe I'm wierd but I could spend a month in Tokyo no problems I think.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

field balm posted:

Maybe I'm wierd but I could spend a month in Tokyo no problems I think.

Everyone has their own travel preferences, and that’s totally fine. I would definitely get island fever and want to bail after max 10 days no matter the size of the city. The issue is thinking there’s some single right way to travel. Rick Steve’s travel guides still make me nauseous when I read them but they’re probably right for someone. (His guides are like, 2 days in Paris -> 2 days in Rome -> 1 day in Naples -> 2 days in Madrid, etc). My preferred travel schedule is also probably hell incarnate to someone.

The most bizarre thing about travel forums to me is really people thinking that there is some actual specific answer to the questions of how long someone should spend in a place and in what quality lodging one should spend the night, even supposing in both questions that vacation time and budget are irrelevant questions.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I would recommend checking ryokan in Nara too if you want the same experience with more flexibility on dates and price. Most tourists treat Nara as a daytrip from Kyoto so the hotels are less booked up than Kyoto.

Oct 14-18 we have some big festivals in Ehime that you could daytrip by train (approx 2.5 hrs one way.)

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Kaddish posted:

I checked the average weather for the time frame and it looks very reasonable coming from Tampa Bay!

Yeah definitely a relative thing, I go in October and I'm usually pretty comfortable with just bringing a light jacket that rolls up small. To be fair it was pretty rainy and there was a taifun in Tokyo and just very rainy in Osaka/Kyoto on the last trip.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

October is usually post-humidity, so it’s usually pleasant. Unless there’s a typhoon (hurricane), in which case take cover and be slightly annoyed.

Unless there’s something I’m missing, ryokan definitely feel like an overnight trip deal to me. At least, that’s how myself and my partner have usually treated our stays, and maybe I’m lacking imagination but I can’t see why I’d want to do multiple days at one. A great experience and fantastic meals, don’t get me wrong!

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Kaddish posted:

October 11-15 Tokyo
October 15-18 Kyoto
October 18-22 Osaka

Ryokans are definitely not meant for usage as hotels. It's more of a personal service experience, but it may or may not be transit accessible in a way to get to places easily. There are some true ryokan in the cities, but I bet there's ryokan-style hotels that may work better.

Personally I found all the attention a bit much - a nice experience, and while it was a wonderful stay, I kinda tend to be a bit independent and self-service. I knew we'd be fawned over and treated well but I can carry a camera bag 40 feet, I don't need someone urgently rushing to help me do it. We were also way out in the mountains with not much to do nor anything in walking or easy bus distance. To each their own but I definitely feel like getting treated like a visiting dignitary would get real old real fast.

If you want an onsen in your hotel, the City Plaza Hotel in Osaka has one, but bring a mattress pad - theirs are extremely stiff. It's also a bit decentralized - gotta walk 15 minutes to get to the subway lines that go anywhere important.

We just got out of there after using it as our home base in Osaka for a few days after a week in Tokyo. It would definitely serve well if you want to merge Osaka/Kyoto and do day trips to Kyoto. I'd advise looking for a hotel in Umeda or Nanba that can point you at a sento nearby for relaxing baths rather than the City Plaza.

Do allow at least one full day for Kyoto. Fighting through the crowds to Kiyomizu-dera is a bit draining, and then you still have a ways to walk if you want to go out to the main shrine/stage. It can easily take a morning or afternoon. Crowds will be inevitable in Kyoto - the usual Japanese tourists may not crowd as much on a school day but there's tons of tourists from all over the world.

I'd say you could easily do only 4 full days in Osaka as a base for Osaka/Kyoto/Kansai. Depends on what you wanna do in Kansai. At least half a day in Nara, 1-2 full Kyoto days, and exploring Osaka would allow tons of time in Tokyo.

MJP fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Apr 5, 2023

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
October last year in Tokyo was complete rear end almost all the way through, it appears this year will be same or worse, and it's likely to be a permanent condition from now on.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

field balm posted:

Maybe I'm wierd but I could spend a month in Osaka no problems I'm sure.

FTFY

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Osaka would seem less like a second rate city if people who liked it would stop trying to change the subject to Osaka whenever anyone mentions Tokyo.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

October last year in Osaka was rad as all hell almost all the way through, it appears this year will be same or better, and it's likely to be a permanent condition from now on.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Kyoto was honestly really gorgeous even if Tokyo was more fun. My favorite was Itsukushima, though. If you go there, and you can hang with shellfish, look for the restaurant with a carved tanuki statue in front of it, that place had amazing oyster dishes.

https://miyajima-mametanuki.com/

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

MJP posted:

If you want an onsen in your hotel, the City Plaza Hotel in Osaka has one, but bring a mattress pad - theirs are extremely stiff. It's also a bit decentralized - gotta walk 15 minutes to get to the subway lines that go anywhere important.

As a big onsen person, the City Plaza Hotel in osaka has a bath but it is not truly an onsen

ntan1 fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Apr 5, 2023

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

October last year in Osaka was rad as all hell almost all the way through, it appears this year will be same or better, and it's likely to be a permanent condition from now on.

Aside from doing the exact thing I just said, I just checked the historical weather and Osaka was even worse than Tokyo last year.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer

Gabriel Grub posted:

October last year in Tokyo was complete rear end almost all the way through, it appears this year will be same or worse, and it's likely to be a permanent condition from now on.

What was bad about it?

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Temps still hovering around 30 with high humidity. Didn't start to cool down to proper fall weather until almost Halloween.

And unfortunately, I think that's just how it's going to be most years from now on.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Gabriel Grub posted:

Aside from doing the exact thing I just said, I just checked the historical weather and Osaka was even worse than Tokyo last year.
Wrong, I was there, it was rad as hell.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh man, I forgot - props to Peanut for showing me and my hapless dad around Niihama, we had a lot of fun and very much enjoyed it!!! And the bugs are adorable and very well behaved :3: Can confirm good people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Unfortunately since the Shimanami Kaido is technically attached to it at the end, Peanut is only the the second best part of visiting Shikoku. It's real close though!