Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Regarde Aduck posted:

British food isn't actually food

e: I have no regrets for this page snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Megamissen posted:

sweden has only advanced to the point of "what if you put some stuff in a potato"

i dunno what hellish concoction this is supposed to be, but baked potatoes with skagenröra are totally ace

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Megamissen posted:

sweden has only advanced to the point of "what if you put some stuff in a potato"

Is this some kind of jam?

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Palladium posted:

taiwanese food in general isn't even on par with thailand

suddenly feel like going to 19 Gold

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Cerebral Bore posted:

i dunno what hellish concoction this is supposed to be, but baked potatoes with skagenröra are totally ace

Palt is the name, popular in the northern half of Sweden.

genericnick posted:

Is this some kind of jam?

It's pork meats bunched up in mashed potatoes and some flour, boiled and served with lingonberry jam (the red stuff to the right). Sometimes the meat is spiced with clove, pimento and black pepper. It's decidedly meh, and when you eat it you understand why it was peasant food. At least it contains sufficient calories for surviving the winter.

Zudgemud has issued a correction as of 21:59 on Apr 4, 2023

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Zudgemud posted:

It's pork meats bunched up in mashed potatoes and some flour, boiled and served with lingonberry jam (the red stuff to the right). Sometimes the meat is spiced with clove, pimento and black pepper. It's decidedly meh, and when you eat it you understand why it was peasant food. At least it contains sufficient calories for surviving the winter.

I mean you can find something similar in most of the old Austria Hungarian region.

Just without the jam.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

Zudgemud posted:

kroppkakor in this case, the south swedish equivalent

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

learning modern Asian history from meme videos featuring Wikipedia infoboxes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWT9z3Dc2Ug

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

Palladium posted:

taiwanese food in general isn't even on par with thailand

It's not terrible, but much like the current Korean food wave most people who obsess over Taiwanese food are mostly talking about fried food and sugary snacks.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/WilliamYang120/status/1643098138058833920

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
should have posted through it

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/RudyDrischel/status/1643195178503618560

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
our propaganda trick of lying over something that never happened and still be trivial otherwise if true is working

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/strom_m/status/1643084439730417666

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Well technically the US president needs congress approval to go to war too, but it's so easy to circumvent it in different ways.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

stephenthinkpad posted:

Well technically the US president needs congress approval to go to war too, but it's so easy to circumvent it in different ways.

muh rules-based police action semantics

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Actually China settled all the borders with Russia when Jiang was the president.

China only has border disputes with countries who are afraid to sign border agreement due to the opposition parties. Japan has border disputes with ALL her neighbors.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

China bringing back the CCCP

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Cerebral Bore posted:

pizza alliance where america is the cool team leader, italy us the stuck-up by the book guy and sweden is the crazy motherfucker

You clearly need the team leader, one who does machines, the one who's cool but rude and of course the party dude

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/SariArhoHavren/status/1642947922026287106

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Hahaha it's real
https://twitter.com/Jingjing_Li/status/1643440721511469057?s=20

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Regarde Aduck posted:

goddamn i want some

think i'll find them in a sleepy welsh village?

surely in wales you can just get a pastie

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

gradenko_2000 posted:

China bringing back the CCCP

CCPC

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

elon....... thank you

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

i like trains

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehTy-qQVZhM

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/SariArhoHavren/status/1642947922026287106

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/slakster/status/1643286878055981057

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

*everyone lining up to furiously make sick $$$ with china*

america: but those aren't the real allies

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://i.imgur.com/b1clOw6.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/Aa53WJF.mp4

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Went to the DMZ a couple weeks ago just because and it's a 30 min drive.
Got some stamps to go with my bux that I got last time.

Post Office and TRAINS
Two great tastes that taste great together.

E: And lol, learned even more disturbing facts.
At Camp Greaves there was an art exhibit about the brave, definitely all completely voluntary patriotic child soldiers that ran distraction for the Incheon Invasion.

So I guess this guy got his wish.
A horrible exhibit in an old US army officers bowling alley.

Thousands Of Child Soldiers Died In The Korean War. Survivors Want More Recognition | June 25, 2020

Gildiss has issued a correction as of 09:54 on Apr 5, 2023

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Gildiss posted:

Went to the DMZ a couple weeks ago just because and it's a 30 min drive.
Got some stamps to go with my bux that I got last time.

Post Office and TRAINS
Two great tastes that taste great together.

How does this work, like does the DPRK have a duty free gift shop?

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Slavvy posted:

How does this work, like does the DPRK have a duty free gift shop?

The gift shops at various shops in the tourist stops or areas have the goods for sale.

Most likely made during trade deals when relations are in better condition.

Sadly, I am not trading my currency directly to Best Korea.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Palladium posted:

*everyone lining up to furiously make sick $$$ with china*

america: but those aren't the real allies

Interesting article considering the recent speech the Prime Minister of Malaysia just gave after returning from a visit to China.

https://twitter.com/anwaribrahim/status/1643149982827180032?s=20

quote:

There is no reason for a country like Malaysia to continue to depend on the United States (US) dollar in attracting investment into the country.

Investment negotiations between Malaysia and other countries should use the currency of this country and the currency of the country involved.

Bank Negara Malaysia (BNM) has also made a proposal to pioneer the method in the trade aspect during the visit to China.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
iirc he used to be pro-US lmao

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Alot of middle sized countries are making alternate plan for the US dollar.

Like its not the main agenda for China right now but Saudi, Indonesia and Malaysia etc all want to set up some kind of direct currency trade, or going around the swift, or consumer pymt system (visa mastercard).

The Brazilian president hasn't even come due to illness delay and they already announced the currency trade deal. Like you are supposed to keep the biggest news secret until after the bosses have their meeting. Unless the Brazilian banks are in a hurry to use yuan or they have even bigger news to announce when Lula goes to China.

Also I think Japanese central bank is dumping foreign reserves? I am not a market guy I don't quite understand the implications.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

stephenthinkpad posted:

Also I think Japanese central bank is dumping foreign reserves? I am not a market guy I don't quite understand the implications.

benevolent US is skinning their loyal vassal through the fed rate hikes at a time where japan is also losing industrial competitiveness to china

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

stephenthinkpad posted:

Alot of middle sized countries are making alternate plan for the US dollar.

Like its not the main agenda for China right now but Saudi, Indonesia and Malaysia etc all want to set up some kind of direct currency trade, or going around the swift, or consumer pymt system (visa mastercard).

The Brazilian president hasn't even come due to illness delay and they already announced the currency trade deal. Like you are supposed to keep the biggest news secret until after the bosses have their meeting. Unless the Brazilian banks are in a hurry to use yuan or they have even bigger news to announce when Lula goes to China.

Japan had to dump some reserves to stabilize the Yen, it is less going around the US' back and more that they are in pretty rough shape and can't keep on accumulating dollars. Also, there has been a general move away from US bonds as they have had their values decline.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

stephenthinkpad posted:

it’s basically keeping the yen’s value low by increasing the supply of dollars

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Raskolnikov38 posted:

it’s basically keeping the yen’s value low by increasing the supply of dollars

Why does Japan want to keep the yen low, are they still export oriented economy? What happened to Kishida's new capitalism?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

stephenthinkpad posted:

Why does Japan want to keep the yen low, are they still export oriented economy? What happened to Kishida's new capitalism?

Usually, a weak currency helps exporters, but in Japan's case I don't think it is they are trying to boost exports but they have no choice.

Remember, Japanese debt is 225% of GDP, and Japan can't raise interest rates since it is going to raise bond yields, that means Japan will have to pay even more interest on its bonds. Therefore, while the EU/UK/US have been rapidly upping rate, Japan has had to "take it" and keep rate stable because their debt levels are so high they are trapped. Japan also has had to sell off some dollars just to buy more yen off the market just to keep the Yen stable.

They don't want to keep the Yen this low; they are forced to. It also probably means they are going to buy fewer dollars in the future (since all their trends are negative at this point from debt levels, to consumer spending, to demographics).

While this isn't that bad for their exporters, the issue is that Japan has to imports a ton of energy and raw resources means they also paying more and more yen for the same amount of importers. It is a relative nightmare for Japanese retailers as well because the Japanese population is cash strapped (many of them are pensioners) and can't afford much higher prices while costs in terms of Yen are spiraling upward.

------------

For the US, this isn't good because it has been accustomed to rapidly expanding its monetary supply of dollars and having exporters eat it up. If Japan can't do that, it either means the US needs an alternative route, cut its deficit, or face devalution.