Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Why is the grandson mentioned at all?

Maybe he'd be coming with his dad? He's still a minor after all.

Three rooms out of four for the daughter is some absolutely wild parenting. They can definitely store stuff for a bit and she can use the library or read virtual books on a Kindle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I think they want the two rooms to put the son and his grandson in one each.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
That makes sense, it's just that they only show up in the title.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The comments make it sound like this guy and his daughter both loving hate his son too.

Though some of the implications make me suspect his son is into crypto, so maybe everyone here just sucks.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
My life is, in many ways, a series of historic firsts. For example, just this moment I am the first something awful user with my username to post in this thread at this exact time. Try as they might, others will be unable to match this historic occurrence.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Congrats.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

DeeplyConcerned posted:

My life is, in many ways, a series of historic firsts. For example, just this moment I am the first something awful user with my username to post in this thread at this exact time. Try as they might, others will be unable to match this historic occurrence.

We need to make an NFT of this post to make sure the historic significance is never lost.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

That'll be $100,000

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

Magnificent. I'd like to thank all of the posters in this thread. your tireless commitment to relationship drama has been an inspiration.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

tinytort posted:

Because it's an actual thing people used to do, before good painkillers that you could apply to babies topically were invented. And even afterwards.

There's a reason why a lot of people, in Ye Olden Times, had opium or laudanum addictions and it's because that poo poo would start in the cradle with 'soothing syrups' that were mostly alcohol and whatever narcotic was popular. And that's just the "so you have a baby and it's making noises you don't like" snake oil medicines. Things for actual problems, like teething or croup or colic? Just as bad, often worse.

But yes, "rub alcohol on their gums to numb it and make them settle down" is an old folk remedy for teething babies, and a lot of older people will go "well, it worked and nothing bad happened to me/my kids when we used it back in my day" and ignore that it's still not a good remedy and we also have much better options now. Even a teething ring that was stuck in the freezer for a few minutes would be better.

It did sound similar to some posts we've seen recently, but I didn't think anything of it because that does happen a lot.

i know it was a thing but my mom is a boomer and she didnt do that with us because even her dumb lead poisoned brain knows its bad. that poo poo has been wildly know to be bad for over 30yrs at this point.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

DeeplyConcerned posted:

Magnificent. I'd like to thank all of the posters in this thread. your tireless commitment to relationship drama has been an inspiration.

lest have a round of applause

:golfclap:

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

$50,000

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It’s not a real NFT unless it’s a badly drawn ape

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

DeeplyConcerned posted:

Are you saying that at this moment you are eupostic?

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

haveblue posted:

It’s not a real NFT unless it’s a badly drawn ape

Uh, the John McCain drawing is of a primate, does that count?

If so, $150,000. For my labor.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Are you saying that at this moment you are eupostic?

Because of a phony god's blessing?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Batterypowered7 posted:

Because of a phony mod's blessing?

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

Blue Moonlight posted:

Uh, the John McCain drawing is of a primate, does that count?

If so, $150,000. For my labor.

Wow. Don't sell yourself short buddy. That avatar cracked me up. I think you really channelled the grumpy old man energy in that photo.

And you're the first person to ever draw one of my posts. Congratulations! I hereby authorize you to charge $150,000 for that. Not only that, but I'm going to endorse this price as a Great Deal! Who's going to be the first to snap it up?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
AITA for screaming at my parents and banning them from any contact with my son after they punished him with no dinner?

quote:

My wife and I have one nine year old son. Sometimes on weekends our work schedules overlap, and my parents are happy to take him for a few hours those days. Last weekend they would've had to keep him late, so they offered to just watch him overnight. That was all fine, they've done that before, so we didn't think anything of it.

The next morning my wife and I went to pick him up, and he looked like he hadn't slept all night. I tried to ask him what was up, but he just wanted out of there, so my wife took him to the car. I asked what was up, and my dad said that they didn't feed him the night before. I asked what he meant by that, and he said that my son said gently caress when he dropped something, so as punishment they didn't give him dinner.

I went out for a second to tell my wife to stay there with my son, and went back inside and unloaded on them. They used that on my sister and I growing up. I never got in trouble much as a kid, but my sister was the classic teen rebel and that was the classic lazy parenting they used on her. She was 17 and would hide food in her room because she wasn't sure if failing a test or talking back ould get her punished. Now she's depressed and starves herself every time she feels bad, because she thinks she doesn't deserve to eat

I was in there almost an hour. I called them lovely parents, I called my dad every swear word known to man. My mother told me I was being immature and said it "wouldn't kill him" to miss one meal, I called her a C***. By the end of it, I was beet red, my mother was sobbing, and my dad told me to get out. I was so angry I called or texted most of the family, and told them what they did, and now everyone is pissed at eachother.

My dads mom even told him how ashamed she is, she grew up poor and her parents would never do that, but the family is split on it. I told them that as far as I care, those people are neither my parents or my childrens grandparents anymore, and they should get used to the idea because they'll never see their grandkids again.

AITA for blowing up at my husband for sharing pics of our daughter's birthday celebration, resulting in my family finding out about it?

quote:

Eversince my brother passed away at the age of 17 on his birthday, My family decided to never celebrate birthdays ever again. It was mom & dad's decision; but because of how much the family loved my brother, extended family decided to do the same and stand in agreement with this decision.

My husband would refuse to follow this decision, and kept celebrating his birthday. Me and the family didn't say a thing about it since he's not blood family. But when I first got pregnant, the argument about celebrating our daughter's birthdays occured. My family adviced me to just not celebrate her birthday since she's a baby and won't even remember anyway. I agreed but my husband threw a fit and insisted that we celebrate our daughter's 1st birthday. I caved in eventually but told him we'd have a small, secret celebration so that my family wouldn't find out. He agreed.

The next day, I got a call from mom and she was so upset saying that my word meant nothing and that I have no respect for my brother's memory nor the family. I asked what she meant and she told me she saw the birthday party pics my husband posted on social media. I was to shocked to even argue. I hung up and went straight to my husband to confront him about it. He got defensive and said that he didn't need my permission to post pics, and that he wanted to show his family the birthday celebration pics since I "insisted" we have a small, secret party and "exclude" them. I explained to him how this made me look bad and a liar to my family but he said "they can get over it" and called my mom "snooby". I blew up at him and we had a huge fight about it. He started sulking later and said I ruined the memory of our daughter's first birthday for him and "verbally abused" him with how I lashed out. But I solely did it out of frusrtation knowing that what happened caused a massive problem between me and family.

Now he's expecting an apology from me.

AITA?

I can't find how long ago the brother died but loving hell.

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Apr 5, 2023

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for screaming at my parents and banning them from any contact with my son after they punished him with no dinner?

AITA for blowing up at my husband for sharing pics of our daughter's birthday celebration, resulting in my family finding out about it?

Snooby?

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Cowslips Warren posted:

You knew exactly what kind of guardians your parents were, and you abandoned your child to their mercies anyhow.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

casque posted:

LOL, physician spotted!

Physicians wanted to be called doctor to legitimize themselves with some valor stolen from real doctors. It's funny to see them upset when others do the same.

Furiously smashing my flight attendant call button, excited to discuss my anthropology dissertation with whoever is asking if there's a doctor on the plane.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Cowslips Warren posted:

Good dad. Do not let those lovely grandparents anywhere near your kid, ever again.

quote:

Life is for the living. Let the kid have a goddamn birthday, it's not fair to deny her the opportunity to celebrate because of an uncle she never met.
also,

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

I wish my death could take away a holiday.

When I die nobody is allowed to celebrate Saint Stephen’s Day.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Cerekk posted:

Furiously smashing my flight attendant call button, excited to discuss my anthropology dissertation with whoever is asking if there's a doctor on the plane.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

My girlfriend's third cousin twice removed has passed; never again shall any of us know the joy of National Comic Book Day. So it was written, so shall it be.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Lottery of Babylon posted:

You knew exactly what kind of guardians your parents were, and you abandoned your child to their mercies anyhow.

In many cases, grandparents just totally skip the whole discipline thing for when the parents get back and/or just let things slide. One swear word is definitely not a 'no food' grade punishment though, wtf.

As far as I know I was never even threatened with such a thing, but I independently arrived at 'I don't deserve food'. It's not a good thing to have.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

The only time my grandparents actually disciplined me was when I broke stuff. Which wasn't very often, because I didn't do it on purpose, so they were usually pretty lenient. I'm still wary of pull-down shades, though, I apparently managed to bork that one *thoroughly*.

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

Runcible Cat posted:

An easy NTA, but it's nice to have a sweet story every once in a while:

AITA for scolding the monster under my daughter’s bed?

"How dare you not be shaming the four year old for thinking there are monsters under her bed and make her feel safe when she wakes up scared in the middle of the night!"

Like, FIL would have a bit of a point if Mary were, like, getting into her teens. But even then, she's not climbing into bed with them, she's just asking them to make sure her room is safe.

The ages make it clear she's adopted, too,which means she probably has trauma that she's processing. Or she could just have normal tiny child nightmares, because she's four and everyone has nightmares.

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I could see him assuming that they wouldn't discipline their grandchild and would leave that to the kid's parents. And as soon as he discovered that wasn't the case, he made sure they're not going to be in a position to ever get a second chance to gently caress up the next generation.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
I'm sure the dead 17 year old is looking down on his family feeling so honored every time they deny a child a celebration.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

run on sentience posted:

I'm sure the dead 17 year old is looking down on his family feeling so honored every time they deny a child a celebration.
It'll be even more honoring in about five years when the kid is old enough to understand about birthday parties, feels left out compared with other kids, and grows up resenting the hell out of the uncle she never met. Surely, he'll be proud of his primary legacy being "the guy who ruined birthdays".

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

run on sentience posted:

I'd be haunting the poo poo out of those weirdos :ghost:

atomicdream
Oct 4, 2017

shaking my money maker to fund my crippling glamour addiction.
AITA for labeling all the bottles in the house because my adult children are idiots?

quote:

I have two of my children living with me. One has graduated from college and the other is a junior.

I have to purchase medicated shampoo because of a scalp condition. It is by prescription and it is expensive. it also comes in packaging that is meant to be stored upright.

Not on its side and definitely not upside down.

My daughter has her hair products in the shower and I do not touch them. My son also keeps his AXE body wash/shampoo/conditioner/woman repellent in the shower. I also do not touch it since I have zero desire to smell like a high school locker room.

I keep my shampoo in there as well since it is my house and I can keep my poo poo wherever I want.

For some reason the two of them cannot understand that not all packaging is meant to be upside down. They have already wasted an entire bottle of my shampoo by storing it upside down after they touched it for some reason. It all dripped out the spout which is not engineered for that.

I talked to both of them and I explained that they should not touch my stuff and that if they accidentally tip over my shampoo it was meant to be stored with the lid at the top.

I came home last week to find my shampoo leaking out of the bottle again. UPSIDE DOWN.

I ordered 500 stickers that say "this side up" with an arrow pointing upwards when the words are upright and I put them on everything in the house that might leak. with my shampoo being literally covered in them.

They had friends over last weekend and they noticed that the relish, ketchup, mustard, mayonnaise, etc. were all labeled.

My kids were embarrassed when they explained why. They think I am an rear end in a top hat for putting labels on everything since they only gently caress with my shampoo. Since it is $80 a bottle I said I would take off all the labels if they agree to pay for my shampoo. Thus far they have declined.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
AXE body wash/shampoo/conditioner/woman repellent

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
That is a man who's had enough. They brought those stickers on themselves!

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
i ordered 250 stickers that say "gently caress" and 250 that say "you" and i've been slappin one on each of these fuckers cheeks

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!
AITA for telling my parents that my wife and I do not want them renaming our children and won't encourage the use of the "nicknames" they gave them?

quote:

My wife and I welcomed twins in November. We struggled to have children for a long time (9 years) and had our twins via IVF. It was a long battle to have our babies and when we chose their names it was something we not only took seriously, but poured a lot of love into because we knew they would be the only children we would name. We chose the first names Ezra and Esme for the twins. Their middle names are more uncommon so we won't share. But what I will say is part of what went into the choice for these names was the length. Growing up I had a long last name (10 letters) and my parents gave me very formal and lengthy first and middle names (Frederick Lawrence) and I always found my name very stuffy and old fashioned. I go by a nn derived from my middle name now. I also took my wife's much simpler last name when we married.

So we announced the name of our twins when they were a day old and when we announced the names we were aware my parents might not be in love with them, but I stupidly believed the twins being born would be enough of a deterrent for a negative comment. About a week after they were born my parents asked what kind of names they had and how could we give them such juvenile and incomplete names. I told them they were neither of those things and they needed to be careful about how they spoke about their grandchildren's names.

I thought they had listened but then in January they started calling them Winifred and Douglas. At first we weren't positive they were talking about the twins but then we were celebrating my niece's 10th birthday and my parents directly addressed my daughter as Winifred and I knew it was them they were talking to. I told them those were not their names. They said those were nicknames they had given them and everyone has a nickname, that it's not like we gave them names that could lend themselves to nicknames. I said Ezzie and Essie if they really wanted nicknames. They ignored me and they continued to use the "nicknames". So we decided not to be around, because on top of that they were telling my siblings that the names they had chosen were better for my children. My siblings thought they were crazy. My parents tried to see the kids a few times since and I always told them no. They asked why and I told them they do not get to see our children if all they can do is insult their names. My parents accused me of trying to control them and said nicknames are a part of life. I told them what they had done wasn't giving a nickname, it was renaming my children in their own heads and my wife and I do not want them renaming them. I also said we will not further encourage the use of the "nicknames" they gave them. My parents said if I had stuck to the family way of naming babies none of this would be happening and they said I was being unfair to them.

AITA?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

tinytort posted:

Because it's an actual thing people used to do, before good painkillers that you could apply to babies topically were invented. And even afterwards.

There's a reason why a lot of people, in Ye Olden Times, had opium or laudanum addictions and it's because that poo poo would start in the cradle with 'soothing syrups' that were mostly alcohol and whatever narcotic was popular. And that's just the "so you have a baby and it's making noises you don't like" snake oil medicines. Things for actual problems, like teething or croup or colic? Just as bad, often worse.

But yes, "rub alcohol on their gums to numb it and make them settle down" is an old folk remedy for teething babies, and a lot of older people will go "well, it worked and nothing bad happened to me/my kids when we used it back in my day" and ignore that it's still not a good remedy and we also have much better options now. Even a teething ring that was stuck in the freezer for a few minutes would be better.

There was a popular product Gripe Water for babies that contained 3.6% alcohol from 1851 until 1992. Everybody used to be drunk all the time, even babies.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Sister's boyfriend wants me and wife to take a big chunk of cash to Costa Rica

quote:

My sister's boyfriend is Costa Rican and takes just under the 10k limit required to report to CBP whenever he travels there, usually a couple of times a year. We are going to Costa Rica on a family trip with them this June. He wants to take a down payment on a house, this time, and has asked if my wife and I would each bring not-quite 10k so he doesn't have to report it. His justification has been that the Costa Rican banking system is not as robust and it is less hassle for him to just take cash. Do we have any legal risk by transporting this cash for him? For what it's worth, the cash has been obtained completely above board. He's not a drug dealer or anything. Thoughts?

Edit: This is a pretty clear no. I appreciate the insights!

Hey man, I'm trying to get into the baking industry but getting ingredients is so messed up here, could you do me a favor and bring in all these baggies full of flour?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Captain Hygiene posted:

Sister's boyfriend wants me and wife to take a big chunk of cash to Costa Rica

Hey man, I'm trying to get into the baking industry but getting ingredients is so messed up here, could you do me a favor and bring in all these baggies full of flour?

If everyone keeps their cool and doesn't spill the beans then they're OK. If not then they can be in big trouble for structuring.