Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

site posted:

glad they're making the dcu center around this guy instead of Dwayne the rock Johnson

i thought blue beetle was some time travel guy or something tho

Have you never read blue beetle or booster gold?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Madkal posted:

It was the point of the Character Clownhunter who killed/injured/best up Jokers henchmen building up to the Joker but of course Batman stopped him saying this isn't the way things are done.

More than one person you would think all the citizens of Gotham would just form a vigilante group to kill the Joker considering the fact that everyone who lives there has probably lost several family members to the Joker's attacks.

Speaking of Clownhunter, I’m reading the Batman Inc book he’s in, why is his speech font different? I didn’t read his debut.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I have never been as excited for any dceu movie as I have for even the weakest looking of of the marvel films. I'm loving pumped for this one.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

He lives in El Paso, TX in the comics. It didn't really make much difference, and maybe Florida offered better incentives than Texas for filming.

Wikipedia says they filmed in Atlanta, El Paso and Puerto Rico.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Bold decision to have the soundtrack repeat "This ain't what you want" over and over.

Seems to be skewing younger than most of the DC movies. Could be fun, but not what I'm really in to. It doesn't look "bad", just kind of goofy.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Have a feeling I could fill in 90% of the movie with a paint by numbers set but sad to say that's a step up from what I've come to expect of the DCU lately.

Hopefully they do something with Jaime's heritage besides throw in a few "mijo"s. (IIRC from my recent trip, El Paso is 85% Latino, almost all of Mexican or Mexican-American extraction.) At least there didn't seem to be a ton of white folks in the trailer, and I suppose moving it to not-Miami seems understandable for marketing reasons.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Mr Hootington posted:

Have you never read blue beetle or booster gold?

nope

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

The John Rogers blue beetle run that introduced Jamie outside of the cross over that was his first appearance, was really good.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Admiralty Flag posted:

Hopefully they do something with Jaime's heritage besides throw in a few "mijo"s. (IIRC from my recent trip, El Paso is 85% Latino, almost all of Mexican or Mexican-American extraction.)

What do you think they cast George Lopez for?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Yeah that looks really awesome and feels exactly like what a Blue Beetle movie should be like.

I genuinely hope no one from the cast says or does anything goddamn stupid in the immediate future :buddy:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

The thing about this problem is that having people try to "solve" the problem in-story is just making the problem worse, because what they should actually be doing is exercising more editorial discipline out-of-story and writing these characters differently.

In the Harley Quinn show he is totally reformed, was elected as mayor and is actually doing a pretty good job running Gotham.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I get that he's fighting a bunch of corporate dudes with guns because budget but it's like Iron Man fighting a bunch of dudes with guns

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Alhazred posted:

In the Harley Quinn show he is totally reformed, was elected as mayor and is actually doing a pretty good job running Gotham.

That's cool and maybe one of the handful of treatments based on superheroics that actually has a pro-rehabilitative stance that I can think of, which is the only sane criminal justice stance irl if you have any exp with the criminal justice system.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kind of surprised they're being directly upfront about the Reach instead of saving that for sequel bait.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Shageletic posted:

That's cool and maybe one of the handful of treatments based on superheroics that actually has a pro-rehabilitative stance that I can think of, which is the only sane criminal justice stance irl if you have any exp with the criminal justice system.

Joker's reformation in Harley Quinn has nothing to do with the criminal justice system. He had amnesia and got married and when he got his memory back decided his wife wouldn't like it if he kept killing people. Running for and becoming mayor was entirely to spite the PTA board member who stole his parking spot one time.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Alhazred posted:

it's hilarious how joker is rehabed and well adjusted with a family and batman is in jail and batgirl is essentially nightwing and robin's babysitter because he sucked at raising them lol hq rocks

site fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Apr 3, 2023

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

The 80s booster and beetle runs are good and the 00s-10s booster and beetle runs are good.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Blockhouse posted:

I get that he's fighting a bunch of corporate dudes with guns because budget but it's like Iron Man fighting a bunch of dudes with guns

From what I remember of the 2010s run, that’s his thing though. His main enemies are quasi-government corpo goons who are tracking him down to recover the Scarab and he’s just trying to be a normal teenager.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

Joker's reformation in Harley Quinn has nothing to do with the criminal justice system. He had amnesia and got married and when he got his memory back decided his wife wouldn't like it if he kept killing people. Running for and becoming mayor was entirely to spite the PTA board member who stole his parking spot one time.

yeah plotwise no but it does posit a reason why you shouldnt kill criminals, bc they could suffer cartoon amnesia and be nice to their wives

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

muscles like this! posted:

Kind of surprised they're being directly upfront about the Reach instead of saving that for sequel bait.

Considering that this is one of those pre-Gunn movies I don't think it will get a sequel.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Madkal posted:

Considering that this is one of those pre-Gunn movies I don't think it will get a sequel.

True, but they didn't know that at the time

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
I'm surprised how great the suit looks in motion but I'm also hyped as poo poo for the comic-accurate Ted Kord outfit in the background, it looks gorgeous.

Madkal posted:

It's far from a guarantee, but Gunn did refer to it as being "a marvelous addition to the DCU" in his Chapter One announcement, unlike all the other DCEU movies, and there is that Booster Gold show coming out, so it's not out of the realm of possibility for it to become/stay canon. I think getting a direct sequel will pretty much depend on box office, like how movies used to get sequels greenlit.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Lol calling out the MCU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shW9i6k8cB0

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Ok they didn’t forget about Ben Reilly

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I hate to say this but... I think that looks... not great? Like it feels like they learned the wrong lessons from the first one. Like, I know they feinted in that direction in the first one but Miles and Gwen being romantic is a big misstep right off the bat. I don't love the new designs for the suits. And qunitupling down on the meta humour and multiverse stuff is not why the first film worked.

Granted this is a trailer and the more grounded heartfelt stuff maybe doesn't sell well but this feels like I got a great gourmet burger with onions the first time and now I'm being given onions on a bun.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Apr 4, 2023

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
most absurd thing was Spider-Man actually going to therapy imo

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Gaz-L posted:

I hate to say this but... I think that looks... not great? Like it feels like they learned the wrong lessons from the first one. Like, I know they feinted in that direction in the first one but Miles and Gwen being romantic is a big misstep right off the bat. I don't love the new designs for the suits. And qunitupling down on the meta humour and multiverse stuff is not why the first film worked.

Granted this is a trailer and the more grounded heartfelt stuff maybe doesn't sell well but this feels like I got a great gourmet burger with onions the first time and now I'm being given onions on a bun.

I think it looks pretty good but I agree that they may be going too hard too fast on meta jokes (like drat guys you already did the "Spider-Man pointing" meme)

I forget it if it's here or another thread but I feel like there really should've been a solo Miles movie before going back to the multiverse shenanigans. But then, "multiverse shenanigans" has been Marvel's order of the day for a good while now. It seems like there's some law now that superhero movies must always escalate in scale with each sequel, so there's no way you can go from the multiverse to anything else besides the multiverse*. I worry this is going too big too fast with not enough setup like... dare I say it, a Justice League scenario.

"Save a loved one vs. save everyone else and Spider-Man says he can do both" does feel Spider-Man as gently caress to me though.

*(You absolutely can I'm just saying that producers/directors/writers don't seem to agree)

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Apr 4, 2023

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

site posted:

most absurd thing was Spider-Man actually going to therapy imo

Yeah, but his therapist was another Spider-Man and I don't see that working out well.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last
Seems like Spider-Man 2099 is the main bad guy.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Rental Sting posted:

Maybe one day Hollywood will stop seeing half-Irish half-Mexican characters only as villains.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Lobok posted:

Maybe one day Hollywood will stop seeing half-Irish half-Mexican characters only as villains.

How many have there been?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Bruceski posted:

You don't remember Diego Doyle? Siobhan Juan? Salvador O'Sullivan? Jim Jiménez?

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Lobok posted:

Maybe one day those drat McSalvador monsters will earn such consideration!! :bahgawd:

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Lobok posted:

I blame Louis CK.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Rental Sting posted:

I'm sure he's not gonna be a villain as much as an antagonist and we'll have a real villain that ends up bringing them together. Miguel has never been a bad guy.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I mean, the villain's got to be whoever Miguel is trying to convince Miles to save everyone else from before he runs.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Bruceski posted:

Fancy Dan's last name is Jiminez

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Yeah I don't see Miguel as the villian, just very much stop loving up the timeline :v:

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

This is explicitly a part one of two, so I imagine they'll convince Miguel to switch sides and have the real villain show up at the end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The villain is the Spot, he’s right there in the trailer.