Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Halifax council just passed a bylaw requiring all landlords to register with the city, beef up some requirements, and the HRM will post the worst landlord violations online for the public... sounds cool. Good move? I think other cities have done this but dunno if it affected anything at all because, like, why would it. They're landlords. Landlords always win.

Anyway back in November the Tory provincial government passed a law giving themselves the power to nullify any and all housing bylaws whenever they want with no repercussions at all so I've got a pretty good feeling what Housing Minister Lohr is going to announce tomorrow lmao. The big provincial landlord org already wrote to Lohr begging him to kill the bylaw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I think PEI just re-elected their Conservative majority either today or yesterday. I unfortunately really dont know much about east coast politics other than "We elect Conservatives because we hate young people" so I hope someone here can expand a bit on why this is bad.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
More eroding of environmental and human rights, more privatization and corruption. Why would it be any different there?

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

From watching the PEI elections special on CBC where everyone regardless of party was saying how every candidate was a "real good guy" it feels like the entire election is decided on local issues and personality and no one wants to offend anyone because they might see them at the grocery store later.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Femtosecond posted:

From watching the PEI elections special on CBC where everyone regardless of party was saying how every candidate was a "real good guy" it feels like the entire election is decided on local issues and personality and no one wants to offend anyone because they might see them at the grocery store later.

can you really be surprised? pei has like five grocery stores at MOST. three in charlottetown, one in summerside, and one weird workers co-op somewhere.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Each PEI MLA riding has like five thousand people in it. If it wasn't for the fact that they kept electing Tories it'd actually be kinda cool because those MLAs could conceivably be community figures. I think Toronto, by contrast, has like fifty thousand people in each city council district? Lol

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.
50,000? Iaff I think it's more like 125,000

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

Furnaceface posted:

I think PEI just re-elected their Conservative majority either today or yesterday. I unfortunately really dont know much about east coast politics other than "We elect Conservatives because we hate young people" so I hope someone here can expand a bit on why this is bad.

I'm from PEI and basically none of the other parties offered plausible solutions to the problems du jour (mostly healthcare). Neither did the PCs for that matter - but as the incumbents I think they benefitted from people preferring to maintain the status quo. Even though they poo poo the bed on COVID, environmental stewardship, hurricane Fiona response, mental health, and have done gently caress all to improve the dire situation of healthcare on the island, somehow people took a look at the last 4 years and thought, "yeah more of that please!"

There were also a few other compounding factors:
- PEI used to be a two-party province, swinging wildly from Liberals to PCs and back again. Last election, in a surprise twist, the Green party became the official opposition under the guise of well-spoken and well-liked leader. The Liberals were reduced to third party status which upset the cadre of old Liberal boys on the Island. So what did the brilliant new Liberal leader do? She decided to parachute into the Green party leader's riding to run against him with the intent of eliminating the Green party altogether, basically ignoring the PCs. This strategy failed spectacularly, and the Green leader kept his seat. However, most people with a head on their shoulders thought rightly that this was a dumb-rear end move and the focus should have been on trying to reduce the PCs to minority status (no-one was naïve enough to think the PCs wouldn't form government again) rather than fighting the Greens for second place.
- The PCs aren't really akin to the federal Conservatives. They're still "Red Tories", at least paying lip-service to social issues. Not to excuse them - they're still shitheads - but people that vote PC here will still vote Liberal federally, for better or worse.
- PEI generally has the highest voter turn out in North America but this dropped significantly (to 70%, lol) this election.

- People seemed to be willing to give the PCs a free pass on not doing anything useful for the last 4 years because "oh they were distracted by COVID"
- People are idiots
- NDP who?

DaysBefore posted:

Each PEI MLA riding has like five thousand people in it. If it wasn't for the fact that they kept electing Tories it'd actually be kinda cool because those MLAs could conceivably be community figures. I think Toronto, by contrast, has like fifty thousand people in each city council district? Lol

Femtosecond posted:

I mean this isn't wrong, and in some cases the MLA is a proper community figure. I often run into my MLA (from the Green Party, she was defeated :sigh:) around town. I have multiple one-degree connections to the Premier, and hell I used to babysit another MLAs kids, and hung out with the Minister of Education when we were in High School.

Charles Bukowski posted:

More eroding of environmental and human rights, more privatization and corruption. Why would it be any different there?

Finally this.

mik fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Apr 5, 2023

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

DaysBefore posted:

We have on average nearly as many people in every city ward as the entire province of PEI. The wards are also the same as the provincial ridings, more or less.

mik posted:

- NDP who?

At least they're consistent

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

infernal machines posted:

We have on average nearly as many people in every city ward as the entire province of PEI. The wards are also the same as the provincial ridings, more or less.

At least they're consistent

Lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
This city is a joke politically, but that particular punchline was delivered by Doug Ford. We had twice as many wards and were adding a few more to even things out a bit and he swooped in in the middle of the election campaign and halved the wards.

Thanks to Canadian governance, there was literally nothing we could do to stop him.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

This city is a joke politically, but that particular punchline was delivered by Doug Ford. We had twice as many wards and were adding a few more to even things out a bit and he swooped in in the middle of the election campaign and halved the wards.

Thanks to Canadian governance, there was literally nothing we could do to stop him.

There's always systemic excuses for why things can never improve, but the second some rich gently caress wants to be mayor it just folds like a lawn chair immediately. Always a "fun" eye-opener

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
The system is designed to perpetuate itself.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

gently caress yeah dude. Love voting.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Vote or Don't

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Vote or Die.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Stanley Pain posted:

Vote or Die.

Can I just skateboard instead?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

It's German for

Stanley Pain posted:

Vote or The.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

As usual the FPTP results are wild.

PC's win 81% of the seats with 55% of the vote.
Greens win 7% of the seats with 21% of the vote
Libs win 11% with 17% of the vote.
NDP wins 0% of the seats with 4.5% of the vote.

Hey whatever happened to that successful PR referendum in PEI? Ah well.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

It's German for

:hmmyes:

I made that joke in my head when I typed it out tbh.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

The Simpsons has ruined us all.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

The Simpsons has ruined us all.

has ruined us all... ruined us all... ruined us all...

Sorry to repeat myself, but it'll help you remember.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

https://twitter.com/adambeck91/status/1640615182266245120

topical

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Femtosecond posted:

As usual the FPTP results are wild.

PC's win 81% of the seats with 55% of the vote.
Greens win 7% of the seats with 21% of the vote
Libs win 11% with 17% of the vote.
NDP wins 0% of the seats with 4.5% of the vote.

Hey whatever happened to that successful PR referendum in PEI? Ah well.

I mean, with 55% of the vote, the political result wouldn't have been much different with PR in this election.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
https://twitter.com/jamespmcleod/status/1643623536815218694?s=20

Excellent

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I am not terminally online, so what's so important about that?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

McGavin posted:

He's a professor who has repeatedly white-knighted everyone's favourite kindly billionaire Galen Weston, saying that it's not his fault that food is so expensive and you're all being far too mean to him! Galen Weston is sitting at home crying like a little girl, is that funny to you???

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

McGavin posted:

Imagine, if you will, a cooking show featuring Ed the Sock but the hand inside was Galen Weston and he talked about carbon pricing instead of food.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

McGavin posted:

I too had to google it but lol:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sylvain_Charlebois

quote:

In 2018, Charlebois became the director of Agri-food Analytics Lab at Dalhousie, after resigning as dean following an investigation into complaints involving harassment and bullying.
In January 2023 Charlebois penned a commentary piece deriding those who steal from supermarkets, opining that an increase in theft forced grocers to raise prices.[12] The piece was met with online backlash, as people accused Charlebois of not caring about those unable to afford food, and commented that Canada's supermarket chains have been reporting record profits.[13][14] Twitter users drew attention to Charlebois's annual salary from Dalhousie University, as well as his acceptance of a $60,000 grant from the Weston Foundation, which is controlled by the owners of Loblaw Companies, Canada's largest grocery retailer.[15][13] In response, Charlebois stated that the Weston money was used to pay graduate students, and denied that Canadian grocers are overcharging.[13][16]

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

A man who knows which side his bread is buttered on

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

To be fair to the Food Professor, it's easy to be unaware of food costs when your primary form of sustenance comes from the corn in Galen Weston's poo poo.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

https://www.halifaxexaminer.ca/morn...tlin-saxton/#N3

NS Tories raising the threshold to qualify for rent supplements from 30% of your income being spent on rent to 50%... epic dude. This owns!!

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/public-housing-john-lohr-affordable-1.6801864

But don't worry, they also refuse to entertain the possibility of building public housing... gently caress yeah. They're more than happy to use their municipal override law to step in and give developers approval to build a suburb on land that's been demonstrably poisoned by mine runoff though*. Love it.

https://www.halifaxexaminer.ca/econ...-mine-legacy-3/

*Good read from the Halifax Examiner detailing the poison land the city halted development on and also the funny coincidence that the former CAO of the city left to start working with the developers shortly after the development was initially approved. Their article about the province overruling the city is paywalled but lol... whatever.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

If you cannot stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

In other news, Mayor Simcity has decided to evict the unhoused in the DTES of Vancouver with no options for where they'll go.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/vpd-encampment-removal-1.6802439

quote:

Police moved into Vancouver's Downtown Eastside on Wednesday morning as the city began carrying out its plan to remove a street encampment from the neighbourhood.

East Hastings Street, where people have been living in tents and make-shift structures, has been shut down at Main Street while the process begins.

In a statement, the City of Vancouver said it has requested support from the Vancouver Police Department to "bring the East Hastings encampment to a close," citing public safety and an increase of fires in the area.

According to the city, officers are on hand to protect city staff as they do their work and to enforce street and traffic bylaws.

City officials held a news conference Wednesday morning, about an hour after police set up on Hastings Street.

So not only are we evicting these people from the area, but we're tossing their belongings into the trash too. What a great humanitarian this man is.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Last time they did this we got stories about how city staff tossed mementos like a mothers' only photo of her daughter etc. Ugh.

Lived in Metro Vancouver most of my life and I'm old enough to have seen this cycle play out again and again several times now.

It's sad to see what I assume are young people or newcomers to Van on reddit and poo poo cluelessly cheer this on as if it's some sort of actual solution and not another example of kicking the can down the road. Though amongst all the awful posting, still a fair amount of smarter cynicism from people who've seen this play out before.

Regardless of whether you think the solution is housing first, or more involved addictions or mental health treatment options, or loving whatever I dunno, the fact is there's neither of anything on offer here and Sim is just saying "get the gently caress off Hastings I don't care where you go from here." Sim has no plan to help anyone.

I suppose interesting thing is what happens next. Is Sim gonna keep harassing people if they head over to CRAB park? I have a feeling he could let that slide but be more militant about ensuring no one sets up in Strathcona again. I walked by there on the way home and no one there.

Femtosecond fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Apr 6, 2023

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
It's really depressing reading articles from the '80s and seeing people fighting for the same housing that they're still fighting for and the same situations they're still fighting for. The core of the downtown east side housing strategy is the same SRO hotels. They were old and broken then, and the ones that are left now are giant fire hazards, not fit for people to live in reasonably, and now cost three times the assistance rates that people get. We've built a bit of housing in a few areas, but I can't see it having scaled with population since the 70s and 80s. It's pretty hard to find real counts on this type of housing though. Here's the Wikipedia excerpt that implies that housing targetting those groups was flat for twenty years:

quote:

In recent years, the number of units designed for low-income singles has increased slightly: In the downtown area (Burrard Street to Clark Drive), there were 11,371 units in 1993 and 12,126 units in 2013.[134] The number of privately owned SROs declined during this time by 3283 units, while the number of social housing units increased by 4038 units.[134] In 2014, 300 privately owned SRO units were lost.[135]

Doing this thing today without having an army of people and resources on hand to help people get set up other places is so loving disconnected from seeing anyone in this situation as a person. How are people with no resources supposed to deal with the fact that you just took their shelter and their stuff. That's all of the limited security that these people have. Where were they supposed to sleep tonight.

The situation down there was not good, but this is such a garbage way to deal with this. Also, without notice how is this not theft? Why do you get to seize people's poo poo without giving them an opportunity to leave.

The number of people who are homeless without shelter is loving tiny compared to the size of the city. The 2020 count had 2000 people homeless with 500 living on the street. It's infurating that we could make a reasonable dent in that number if we just decided to. It can't fix everything, but safe, low barrier to entry, dignified housing should at least be an option to everyone. It's not fully that easy, but kicking people out of where they are without being able to point at that help is poo poo.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
Oh, and the irony/hypocrisy/audacity to be doing that while the Union of BC Municipalities, the premier and the housing minister are having a Housing Summit at the Wall Center a kilometer and a half away is something.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

T.C. posted:

It's really depressing reading articles from the '80s and seeing people fighting for the same housing that they're still fighting for and the same situations they're still fighting for.

They're still fighting for it now because they still haven't done the only real solution, which involves trudging up the landlords to either a guillotine or a gallows.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Bleck posted:

They're still fighting for it now because they still haven't done the only real solution, which involves trudging up the landlords to either a guillotine or a gallows.

Yeah... like with climate change the only solution to the fossil fuel industry now is "get bent", the political and economic system has kicked the can too far down the road. And anything that has been done still hasn't even scratched the surface of the problem. So the only possible solution to the housing crisis across the whole country will probably be a similar "get bent" and just take a chunk off the value of the whole market somehow. It's either that or raise wages way beyond what any company would ever be willing to pay. Something has to give.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

Bleck posted:

Or the government could buy them like they did with a bunch of them and run them like actual social housing. They could just seize them tomorrow and pay out the owners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
Very cool and good to steal and trash the only shelter that some of these people (surprisingly yes, they are in fact people) have to live in.
Look I know it's not the garbage men's fault really but how can you live with throwing someone's home into the back of a truck to get crushed? hosed.