Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Nuebot posted:

Prototype is a really fun sandbox style game where your main powers are like, disguise and stealth stuff, you can pretend to be someone you eat and walk around town to snatch up other people and whatnot; leading to some really fun situations where you just grab a military guy, become him then eat up every military guy in a base one by one as everyone gets increasingly jumpy and paranoid.

So of course halfway through the game they introduce psychic super soldiers who not only can detect you in a radius and alert everyone to where you are, but are also immune to like half of your powers.

Prototype got less fun the farther you got into the game. The start of the game was great as you could do things like pile drive someone off the top of the building, or throw someone into a tank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Cleretic posted:

Having thankfully got past the point that made me think about this, a question about some terrible game design for you all:

What are some difficulty spikes so bad that they genuinely feel like it was a mistake that it turned out like this?

Fallout 4 throws a deathclaw at you in the first major area you come to and you have to beat it to continue the main quest.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I think it works, honestly. The game gives you a suit of power armour and a minigun (previously endgame equipment), which is meant to signal two things: that you can punch above your weight class if you have the right stuff, and also that power armour is more of a thing than before.

Gamers didn't take this lesson to heart and complained enormously, but what else is new.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Philippe posted:

I think it works, honestly. The game gives you a suit of power armour and a minigun (previously endgame equipment), which is meant to signal two things: that you can punch above your weight class if you have the right stuff, and also that power armour is more of a thing than before.

Gamers didn't take this lesson to heart and complained enormously, but what else is new.

I mean I think that section was bad for reasons other than being a difficulty spike; in fact it kinda wasn't one. It definitely stripped the Deathclaws of their menace, and did my least faovrite thing in any game that claims to allow for a bunch of different builds: temporarily forcing you into a very specific playstyle. If you're playing a character that isn't actually intended to fight head-on with big weapons, it's a pretty terrible section. Not because it's hard, but because it genuinely feels pretty lovely.

I feel like I hate those sections because they're never forcing me into a playstyle I already like, though.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

I'm really enjoying it but I wish Chrono Cross used the opening dungeon to explain the combat system. It isn't too complicated once I learned it and it's actually pretty fun, but at a glance it has all these contextless level meters and percentages and stamina numbers and colour coded field effects that didn't mean poo poo to me and almost convinced me to quit early because I though it was going to be out of my depth. I'm glad I stuck it out though because the story and characters are fantastic. Honestly I'm not even sure how useful some of the things displayed actually are really. Like the hit chance percentages make sense, but just labelling them 1/2/3 instead of light, medium, heavy doesn't really seem clear until later, or that successfully hitting with an attack increases the chance of hitting a second time with all levels of attack as long as you have enough stamina (the light blue bars).

It doesn't help that early on the game repeatedly tells you directly that if you don't figure out how field effect works you're not going to be able to progress in the game.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Redezga has a new favorite as of 14:42 on Apr 4, 2023

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Serge is so disgustingly powerful there's no need for the 43 other playable characters.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I got Gotham Knights on the steam spring sale and, after getting it working, I'm enjoying it more than it's reputation might suggest. That said, it does this thing that a ton of open world games do that I absolutely hate: dribbling out core mechanics amenities as you progress through the main story quest. I went down this rabbit hole of tracking down and fighting Mr. Freeze, only to find that if I had played like 10 minutes longer in the main quest I could have unlocked fast travel.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Philippe posted:

The lesson I learned from that tutorial was that power armor was clunky and awkward and felt worse than just moving around without it. I thought I would rather have tougher combat and a few more reloads if it meant navigating and interacting with the world felt smoother. And every time I used a power armor after that told me, yeah, I don't like the power armor. Bethesda Fallouts aren't especially difficult anyway.

Also, the way they made power armor more prevalent than previous games really only made it seem worse. By the seventh or eighth suit you find just abandoned by the side of the road, it's really hard to keep thinking of it as something powerful and useful. Eventually it just starts to look like just more rusty trash like the burnt out cars or piles of rubble.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Crowetron posted:

Also, the way they made power armor more prevalent than previous games really only made it seem worse. By the seventh or eighth suit you find just abandoned by the side of the road, it's really hard to keep thinking of it as something powerful and useful. Eventually it just starts to look like just more rusty trash like the burnt out cars or piles of rubble.

You’re not wrong about this, but I did enjoy building a museum to display all my extra sets.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

RandolphCarter posted:

You’re not wrong about this, but I did enjoy building a museum to display all my extra sets.

Honestly, if I'd have thought of doing that, I'd probably like the power armors a lot more. I do like filling my various houses with weird trophies in Beth games.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

If we're talking Fallout 4, I didn't like the settlement system. Partly, you can only create already ruined buildings (if you don't use mods, that is), partly you can't make anything that looks as good as the premade stuff in the world, and partly you use junk to decorate and you need that junk for crafting.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Philippe posted:

If we're talking Fallout 4, I didn't like the settlement system. Partly, you can only create already ruined buildings

This always annoyed me so much. The metal walls in particular are so full of holes that it's ridiculous. I'm pretty sure winters in Massachusetts are bitter and miserable, so it makes no sense why people would willingly live in houses that won't keep out the wind and snow. I think the only vanilla wall that is completely solid is the giant chunk of cement.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I've bitched about it before, but regarding settlements, a lovely shack and a generator and a couple potatoes growing in the dirt three hundred yards from a "city" do not make a "settlement." Abstract better!

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
It would be cool to see what a modern city looks like 200 years after society has collapsed and started to rebuild. The old buildings would have been damaged by war and time, of course, but over the years the new residents would have done their own construction - repairing and expanding the buildings they use, constructing new buildings as needed, and cleaning and decorating their residences according to their tastes, all with no regard for how the buildings were originally intended to be used. The passage of time, the blending of the familiar and the new, I think it could be a really fun setting for, say, an open world video game or something.

It’s too bad the Fallout games are set 20 minutes after the bombs fell, before anybody has had time to do any of that.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Well, it's not 200 years, but there's an interesting progression from Stalker: Clear Sky and ShoC where you can see the same destroyed/ disrepaired buildings get patched and used differently from one game to the next.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

The Metro series does this pretty well, too. It's maybe twenty years since the Apocalypse happened, but people have rebuilt underground.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
What happened between Mad Max and Road Warrior? He was a goofy PA cop in a city that had infrastructure and everything and then uhhh infinite wasteland

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Main thing that annoyed me in the F4 tutorial was the minigun taking roughly an hour to reload but the Deathclaw can smack you out of the animation over and over.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

credburn posted:

What happened between Mad Max and Road Warrior? He was a goofy PA cop in a city that had infrastructure and everything and then uhhh infinite wasteland

Guess he left the city. It is Australia after all.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

John Murdoch posted:

Main thing that annoyed me in the F4 tutorial was the minigun taking roughly an hour to reload but the Deathclaw can smack you out of the animation over and over.

That's the problem I have in Far Cry games (I guess lately just New Dawn, but it happened in others) is that there's no good way to defend yourself at all when trying to take down the big animals like Bison, Grizzlies, and (in New Dawn) all the mutated ones.

MAYBE if you're lucky there's a rock outcropping you can get on the animal can't, but if not? Well then it's just a back and forth of you shooting it, getting smacked down, use a healing kit, then shooting it a few more times and repeat. Hope you have enough healing kits and/or resources to craft more.

They are almost all to a T faster and more nimble than you, so trying to just "run and gun" them won't work...and there's no real dodge in the game, either.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Also they cheat by having a magic radius that instantly locks you into a canned "grr rawr I bite you/knock you down/whatever" animation.

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry

Crowetron posted:

Honestly, if I'd have thought of doing that, I'd probably like the power armors a lot more. I do like filling my various houses with weird trophies in Beth games.

It’s been decades, but I still haven’t forgotten reading about a guy who modded Morrowind to have a giant pit in Balmora, where he fastidiously threw the shoes of everyone he killed.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I'm finally pushing myself out of the depression hole and starting Disco Elysium.

This game would be slightly better if I could play as a lady. :colbert: Same sad-sack alcoholic cop, just...a woman.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

credburn posted:

Mad Max is supposed to be set in the early stages of societal collapse, road warrior a while after is all.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Agents are GO! posted:

Are you sure that's not Driver you're thinking of?

I was living in France at the time so I know it wasn’t Driver. It was something like “Condecteur”

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Read After Burning posted:

I'm finally pushing myself out of the depression hole and starting Disco Elysium.

Maybe Disco isn't the best pick right now.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Necrothatcher posted:

Maybe Disco isn't the best pick right now.

Haha, no worries, I realized after posting how :ironicat: that sounded. I just get real bad anhedonia more often than I would like, where all I want to do is sleep rather than do things I enjoy, like play video games.

Funnily enough, I actually prefer darker/more depressing stuff when I'm in A Funk. More light-hearted stuff just seems...fake, and bums me out more? I dunno, brains are dumb.

Edit: like the only game I've touched for the past two weeks has been Power Wash Simulator, because it requires basically zero thinking. Satisfying as hell, though! I'm almost out of levels, though. :ohdear:

Read After Burning has a new favorite as of 22:14 on Apr 4, 2023

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Lobok posted:

Guess he left the city. It is Australia after all.

SiKboy posted:

Mad Max is supposed to be set in the early stages of societal collapse, road warrior a while after is all.

Both of these explanations have been proffered, and both have some merit and don't contradict each other.

But I think what really happened is that Mad Max 2 had a much larger budget, and likely George Miller had a better view of what he wanted the movies to look like. Watching the original trilogy and the newest reboot, I feel like these are movies of style over substance, and George Miller plays it loose with continuity and logic for the sake of spectacle, and I am very okay with that. Mad Max is one of my favorite franchises.

edit: wrong George

Caufman has a new favorite as of 22:41 on Apr 4, 2023

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I like the theory where Max is a wasteland legend and each movie is just a different story that gets told about him, which is why the continuity is wonky

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Yeah, not having strict continuity is one of the cool things about Mad Max. Like Bond.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Continuity is overrated anyways, maybe cap it at like one or two direct sequels max for any form of entertainment not just games. Anything past that needs to carry criminal and civil penalities

Except for music, I want my favorite bands to keep making my favorite album all over again just slightly different. They always go off to do some weird poo poo instead :sigh:

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Read After Burning posted:

Haha, no worries, I realized after posting how :ironicat: that sounded. I just get real bad anhedonia more often than I would like, where all I want to do is sleep rather than do things I enjoy, like play video games.

Funnily enough, I actually prefer darker/more depressing stuff when I'm in A Funk. More light-hearted stuff just seems...fake, and bums me out more? I dunno, brains are dumb.

Edit: like the only game I've touched for the past two weeks has been Power Wash Simulator, because it requires basically zero thinking. Satisfying as hell, though! I'm almost out of levels, though. :ohdear:

Yeah Disco ended up being kinda therapeutical for me because it's full of humor/love/reflection in spite of the general depressing reality of it. I loved how empowering or destructive your voices could be in different situations.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

KingSlime posted:

Continuity is overrated anyways, maybe cap it at like one or two direct sequels max for any form of entertainment not just games. Anything past that needs to carry criminal and civil penalities

Except for music, I want my favorite bands to keep making my favorite album all over again just slightly different. They always go off to do some weird poo poo instead :sigh:

The Mad Max series handles indirect sequels the best IMO. No, we don't need a detailed explanation of the main protagonists backstory each time you reboot the series, please stop telling us how Spiderman got his powers. We know. Still not sure how the radioactive human was able to bite a spider without killing it though.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

NoneMoreNegative posted:

The original Driver parking garage test is hidden in Driver: San Francisco as a bonus mission, it was tough but not impossible to beat after a few attempts.

DSF was a fun game, only drag-downs for me were that the framing 'All A Dream' story made everything seem a little pointless (though I see why they had to do it to include the 'Shift' car possession mechanic), and some ugly transphobic banter randomly in a possessed cop car. Still worth buying when its on sale for next-to-nothing if you like car games.

Isn't the game delisted from everywhere, most likely because of licensing issues? I know I spent a good chunk of time trying to find a way to get it digitally (my PC had no optical drive and my 360's tray was stuck) and never could find one, no even a dodgy gray market CD key.

Funny conclusion to that story, super recently I got myself a refurbished Series S and Driver: SF was just chilling in the "My games" tab. I never could find it on 360, I'm guessing the 360 didn't have a purchase history and since it was delisted it couldn't show up in the store.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

credburn posted:

the timeline is supposed to be kind of a sliding scale and feel like a weird timeless legend.

Mad Max 1 cities still more or less exist but there is clearly Something Wrong and authority is having trouble maintaining its grip on the world as the edges fray.

Road Warrior the opening narration reveals there has been a worldwide gas shortage that set off a global war that effectively ended society as we knew it. Mad Max's world wasn't some big metropolis so who knows what happened in the rest of the world outside smalltown Autralia... presumably this gas war had been going on for a while. The narration notes that after the death of his family Max drove off to the desert to disappear. Who knows... maybe a decade has passed? and everything has gone to poo poo everywhere? Or maybe Road Warrior just takes place in the boonies.

By Beyond Thunderdome the movies start specifically referencing fallout and radiation, so whether or not there had been thermonuclear warfare during MM1 or Road Warrior, there has definitely been by this movie.

Fury Road further emphasize nuclear apocalypse with all the cancer and birth defects present in the War Boys society and the emphasis on destroyed climates. There is also the fact that sea levels have massively receded implying a massive nuclear winter somewhere else in the planet. Maybe the entire northern hemisphere is hosed?

Anyways I always got the feeling that the apocolypse was ongoing throughout the films.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Randalor posted:

The Mad Max series handles indirect sequels the best IMO. No, we don't need a detailed explanation of the main protagonists backstory each time you reboot the series, please stop telling us how Spiderman got his powers. We know. Still not sure how the radioactive human was able to bite a spider without killing it though.

That's Spiders-Man.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

Philippe posted:

That reminds me: The minigun in Fallout 4 is absolutely terrible. Tied for worst heavy weapon with the Junk Jet, which is at least funny. Flamers are more modifiable, have semi-common ammo, and can actually do damage and hit things. Gatling lasers are super endgame and take fusion cores as ammo, and without a good legendary mod are still kind of bad. But the minigun? Chews through ammo, can't hit the broad side of a barn, has a grand total of six modifications (the best of which is literally the one that turns it into a melee weapon), has expensive ammo that vendors don't stock until level 24, and by the time you can get the ammo from vendors it does so little damage that it's a giant waste. They give you something like 1300 ammo for that tutorial deathclaw fight, which sometimes isn't even enough and would run you somewhere north of 7,000 caps from a vendor.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

My main problem with Mad Max is that it's just a Ubisoft game with Batman-style punching.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I kinda wish Fallout would start doing the "wasteland legends of an uncertain time" thing, maybe then people would stop whining about there being garbage in the apocalypse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Lobok posted:

Yeah, not having strict continuity is one of the cool things about Mad Max. Like Bond.

Doesn't the game punctuate this by having one of the collectibles be a photo of a Mad Max themed amusement park or something and Max is just :wtf: ?