Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Speaking of the door knob covers: is it a bad idea to put them on outside doors to the house? Our twins have decided they like opening doors to the outside after previously not showing any interest in leaving the house.

My wife is worried about if there is ever a fire or anything in the house and we get panicky and can't open the doors. But my response is that it's far more dangerous to let them have access to the outside and the garage and that the odds of them getting hurt running outside by themselves is far greater than the odds of both a fire and us not being able to open the doors if we are panicking. Is there any other reason not to have the safety knobs on outside doors?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
If you do a drill with the door knobs I think you guys would be fine. After you install it, if you can exit in less than a minute with one hand (carrying a child in the other) then you should be ok.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Mind_Taker posted:

Speaking of the door knob covers: is it a bad idea to put them on outside doors to the house? Our twins have decided they like opening doors to the outside after previously not showing any interest in leaving the house.

My wife is worried about if there is ever a fire or anything in the house and we get panicky and can't open the doors. But my response is that it's far more dangerous to let them have access to the outside and the garage and that the odds of them getting hurt running outside by themselves is far greater than the odds of both a fire and us not being able to open the doors if we are panicking. Is there any other reason not to have the safety knobs on outside doors?

I agree with your wife that it sounds like a safety hazard. Can you just put a chain or deadbolt up high enough that the kids can’t reach it without extra shenanigans?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

For several months my son has identified every photograph and video of himself as his cousin Jack. Now he identifies every photograph and video of his cousin Jack as himself.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Mind_Taker posted:

get a deadbolt, chain lock, doorguard, or some similar thing installed high up where he can't reach. when my son got smart and dextrous enough to unlock out exterior doors we got doorguards installed more at adult eye level. when he can reach that high he'll be smart enough not to open the door and run into traffic.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
5 weeks ago my kid had strep. He sneezed in my face and I got pink eye a week later.

Two days ago, he was running a fever and tested positive for strep again. So yesterday I took off work and stayed home with him, and he blew a raspberry in my face when playing around. I felt his spittle go directly into my eyeball. The same one I got pink eye in.

*sigh*

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Renegret posted:

5 weeks ago my kid had strep. He sneezed in my face and I got pink eye a week later.

Two days ago, he was running a fever and tested positive for strep again. So yesterday I took off work and stayed home with him, and he blew a raspberry in my face when playing around. I felt his spittle go directly into my eyeball. The same one I got pink eye in.

*sigh*

:sickos:

(Sorry that you are on the path to pink eye again.)

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Apr 5, 2023

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Brawnfire posted:

For several months my son has identified every photograph and video of himself as his cousin Jack. Now he identifies every photograph and video of his cousin Jack as himself.

My daughter looks a lot like her grandma. Grandma has an old picture of herself and her siblings, when she was about 9-10 years old. She showed it to my daughter, 3 at the time, and asked who she thought it was. Daughter pointed to grandma in the picture:

“That’s me, when I was older!”

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Well that's... surreal. Kids bend my mind more than speculative fiction.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Welp I called seals ‘sea puppies’ and that’s now what’s what they are

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I mean the literal translation of the German word for seal is sea dog.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

In Croatian a “sea dog” is a shark.
Makes things a bit confusing for all of us.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Experienced my first overt dad/mom sexism from a frustrated gym daycare employee.

Our gym has a little daycare to watch the kid for an hour while you workout, so I dropped him off and then went to find my wife to work out for a bit.

Came back and the young woman working there was upset and our 2 year old had been crying for twenty minutes. She said she called me multiple times, and then looked pointedly at my wife “we need to get your number too in case he doesn’t pick up”.

She was calling my wife’s number the whole time. My wife sucks at answering her phone. I gave her my number for next time.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
My partner is really sensitive to that poo poo as a single father. We’ll go out to eat and they’ll automatically give the kid’s stuff to me even though I’m not even stepmom level yet.

He appreciates the gently caress out of shows like Bluey that show the father as actually being equally involved.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
Has anyone done speech therapy with a toddler? 18 month old doesn't really have any real words yet, so she's got an evaluation on Thursday. Curious what to expect. (Frankly we got pretty lucky that she could be seen so quickly--our pediatrician recommended either the state early intervention program or a private pediatric therapy place, depending on finances and availability, and the private place happened to be in network and have someone coming off maternity leave who had openings.)

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Emily Spinach posted:

Has anyone done speech therapy with a toddler? 18 month old doesn't really have any real words yet, so she's got an evaluation on Thursday. Curious what to expect. (Frankly we got pretty lucky that she could be seen so quickly--our pediatrician recommended either the state early intervention program or a private pediatric therapy place, depending on finances and availability, and the private place happened to be in network and have someone coming off maternity leave who had openings.)

yeah my son did speech therapy about a year ago so around age 2. he was only mildly delayed but basically the first appointment the therapist will meet you/your kid, listen to concerns, try to evaluate your daughter's language. probably recommend some kind of treatment plan (x number of appointments on some kind of rhythm, exercises you and her can do at home).

speech therapy really helped my son, he never shuts up now lol.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

Emily Spinach posted:

When my son was 18 mo he didn’t have any words so we saw speech, they said he was imitating sounds well even though it was babbling, and he was copying things appropriately (she pointed to the cars and said “one two three” and he went “ah ah ah”). She said not to worry, and if we got to age 2 with zero words to come back. The 18-24 month range usually has a speech explosion at some point.

He’s 22 months now and still no words so we will see lol

I was trying to find a new movie for the kid’s to watch and we started Tarzan, and JFC the beginning is horrific! Huge sinking ship on fire, a tiny cute gorilla gets eaten by a tiger, then there appears to be a bloody murder/suicide of Tarzan’s human parents… Yikes.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

My daughter (2.5) figured out how to open the door to her room and come find us in our room. This is pretty irritating. Although it happened tonight before I came up to bed but after my wife had been asleep. my wife texted me to collect little miss, who just wanted to be held for a minute. It was kinda sweet.

Basically everything about my kid vacillates between annoying and cute

e: significantly less cute when she did it again at 3:30

dismas fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Apr 5, 2023

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Koivunen posted:

I was trying to find a new movie for the kid’s to watch and we started Tarzan, and JFC the beginning is horrific! Huge sinking ship on fire, a tiny cute gorilla gets eaten by a tiger, then there appears to be a bloody murder/suicide of Tarzan’s human parents… Yikes.

Too many Tarzan movies to keep track of, will not watch any of them.

This one is PG-13: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0918940/
Some others are more kids-appropriate I bet, but he still needs to end up an orphan pretty early in order for the plot to work.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

With thunderstorm season starting in the US here is a tip if your kid is scared of thunder, I recommend this: https://www.lightningmaps.org/#m=oss;t=3;s=0;o=0;b=;ts=0;

If I see a bad storm is coming, I'll put it up for the kids to watch so you can "see" when the thunder is going to hit,

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

Thanks y'all. She's definitely trying to communicate and understands things, just getting discrete words that are attempts at English (or Spanish, daycare is bilingual) isn't happening.

It is adorable when as soon as she gets into the bath she mimics brushing her teeth. She does more chewing on the brush than actual brushing but she tries which is great.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Quick shout-out that Kubo and the 2 strings is gorgeous and well-done and also about grief and losing a family member

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

C-Euro posted:

Our son turned 1 a couple of weeks ago, and after having babysitters come over to hang out with him during the day for a while we're touring a couple of daycares this week and potentially enrolling him in one. What should we be thinking about or asking potential daycares as we make a decision, not just on one or the other but on daycare vs at-home care?
I think this got lost. I don't know how much specific advice I can give since daycare enrollment can be situation specific. Like, are you looking to enroll because you need during-the-day childcare or is it for socialization purposes? Are you looking into all-day/all-week?

Anyways, my biggest advice with regard to daycare is that they're only as good as the director is. If the daycare is run by a director who runs a tight ship, then it's probably a good, safe, place for your child and any potential issues that might come up regarding staff (or otherwise) will be quashed before you ever hear of it. If the daycare director is absent/negligent or just doesn't have their stuff together, then it may be a fine place until it's not, and when it becomes not a fine place it's a problem for you.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Good note from teacher. Today David who has been having problems controlling his feelings and impulses almost had a blow up when she didn't understand what he meant. But he visibly took control of himself and said "oh yes, I forgot that I should stop getting angry when others don't immediately understand what I'm thinking" and then calmed himself down.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

His Divine Shadow posted:

Good note from teacher. Today David who has been having problems controlling his feelings and impulses almost had a blow up when she didn't understand what he meant. But he visibly took control of himself and said "oh yes, I forgot that I should stop getting angry when others don't immediately understand what I'm thinking" and then calmed himself down.

drat that's better than some adults I know, good for him!

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Yeah that is a huge accomplishment! Good for the little dude!

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Kiddo must have caught a stomach bug at the play place the other day. She came into our room and then puked all over the bed at 3:30 in the morning, then puked all over her blankets and floor. I eventually laid some towels on the couch and we went to sleep there. She went through 4 sets of pajamas and had several more puking episodes until morning. She slept a bit on the couch, puked, then went to sleep under the dining room table, puked again, then slept on the couch again, puked, then finally slept on the rug next to the couch. I did not end up sleeping at all really.

Kiddo is really opposed to puking in a bucket (“No no no no thank you!”), so the best I could do was get her to puke on the towels, but I still needed to clean up the couch and rug anyway. She only puked once during the day yesterday and we were able to give her a pedialyte popsicle. I ended up having to do 2 full loads of laundry from all the sheets, blankets, towels and pajamas (including my own) that needed to be washed. She spent most of the day laying on the floor being miserable, nibbling on fruit gummies my husband gave her and napping. She doesn’t usually nap anymore usually, so I was happy for her to get more sleep.

Last night she only had one bout of puking on a blanket in her room and all over our carpet in our bedroom. I eventually got her to sleep on the floor of her room again until she came back into our room, and despite a bit of moaning there was no more puking. This morning she brought back the plain toast I made for her saying, “Keem cheese!” So I’m glad she feels well enough to eat cream cheese on her toast.

Anyway, despite my husband cleaning it right away, our carpet is stained to hell. It already had some stains from the previous owners, but these ones look much worse. Any tips for getting brown toddler puke stains out of old beige carpet?

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
hand held steam cleaner if you've got one.

on another note one thing I find adorable about my kid is she doesn't use contractions much. So yesterday I went into her room and she went "daddy! Daddy I cannot find my paci! I looked all over my bed and did not find it." while standing up in her crib and shrugging.

it was so cute

(her paci was right next to her)

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

my son had a stomach bug last week (which me and my wife also had). son and i had the unique bonding experience of waking up to vomit in the middle of the night simultaneously. ever since then he has been obsessed with the idea of me puking in the bucket, like every night he'll ask where the bucket is (in the back yard! hosed out!) and ask if i need to throw up in the bucket lol. little kids are so weird.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

We went through the stomach bug thing a couple of weekends ago. Unfortunately the toddler does not understand vomiting in a bucket. She came home from daycare early that Friday and I texted the partner I work with that she'd come home sick, so I'd probably be away from the computer, and the things we were waiting on all needed his specific input anyway. He missed the text and gave me a call, and like partway through it kiddo started vomiting all over the couch right next to me. When I said that he was like "oh god go deal with that, I can handle the work stuff." Benefits to having a boss with two small children.

Speech therapy evaluation went well? Seems like it's just an expressive delay, which I kind of thought, so we'll be doing therapy to get her over the hump from just trying to communicate verbally to actual words. They also had this neat toy that was like a stacking ring but with spirals so the rings spin down the shaft, and then spin off when you turn it upside down. Kiddo had fun figuring that one out.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Nessa posted:

Anyway, despite my husband cleaning it right away, our carpet is stained to hell. It already had some stains from the previous owners, but these ones look much worse. Any tips for getting brown toddler puke stains out of old beige carpet?
It may be worth doing a one-off professional carpet cleaning to make things as good as you can get them, especially if there's old stains.

As for on-going on carpet maintenance, my son has a strong gag reflex and frequently vomits during coughing fits and/or meltdowns. Two years ago I bought one of these on Prime Day. It's expensive now, but I've seen it for $128 or $99 even on sale. And yeah, it's a lifesaver when it comes to vomit or pee on carpets and upholstery. Good for puppy stains too.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

ExcessBLarg! posted:

It may be worth doing a one-off professional carpet cleaning to make things as good as you can get them, especially if there's old stains.

As for on-going on carpet maintenance, my son has a strong gag reflex and frequently vomits during coughing fits and/or meltdowns. Two years ago I bought one of these on Prime Day. It's expensive now, but I've seen it for $128 or $99 even on sale. And yeah, it's a lifesaver when it comes to vomit or pee on carpets and upholstery. Good for puppy stains too.

Might look into getting one of those eventually. There’s this really nice run I wanted to buy that would seriously tie the living room together but I know that one of my dogs would pee all the time on it.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

I highly recommend that parents get a pack of puppy pads (or even better, a pack of real bed liner pads, which tend to be bigger). Makes splash zone cleanup way easier.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
A dedicated vomit bucket is a worthwhile purchase. We got a p easy hard plastic one that lives in the bathroom closet whenever people arnt vomiting. Might get a second one on the next wave of sickness.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Almost 3 year old hugging me while saying "I been missing you" is basically the best feeling in the world :3:

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

BadSamaritan posted:

I highly recommend that parents get a pack of puppy pads
We bought puppy pads when our old dog was a puppy and didn't need to use them until she became incontinent three years later due to a neurological disorder. I digress though.

They're generally useful to have around, including to slip under your kids when they fall asleep on the couch in their underwear while still potty training.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Thanks for the suggestions. Our bedroom and the guest room downstairs are the only rooms with carpet. I'm considering just getting rid of the carpet for vinyl plants and just getting a big rug. Unfortunately there aren't hardwood floors underneath it.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

KirbyKhan posted:

A dedicated vomit bucket is a worthwhile purchase. We got a p easy hard plastic one that lives in the bathroom closet whenever people arnt vomiting. Might get a second one on the next wave of sickness.

We got two of these puke buckets, and they've been great. It's easy for the kids to hold and the deep design with the cross-guard inside actually prevents splashing out.

Beats the single giant bowl we used in my family growing up, which we also used for popcorn on movie nights. Thinking back to that, like what the hell were my parents thinking?

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Good-Natured Filth posted:

We got two of these puke buckets, and they've been great. It's easy for the kids to hold and the deep design with the cross-guard inside actually prevents splashing out.

Beats the single giant bowl we used in my family growing up, which we also used for popcorn on movie nights. Thinking back to that, like what the hell were my parents thinking?

My family also used a pot for cooking with so I hear you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
my folks just gave us one of the stainless steel bowls and honestly I'm fine with it, they're stainless steel. Run it through the dishwasher and you're good.