Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Microplastics posted:

I just take the batteries out

I meet a lot of kids with very cool toys with sound that are somehow broken and can't be fixed. I exchange knowing looks with their parents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
my kid is watching a youtube livestream of rick astley play roblox

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

Fleetwood posted:

link

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

i am harry posted:

came downstairs to find my older kid listening to aphex twin - xtal

sigh

she was supposed to be going to bed but now im giving her a brief history of early electronic music while we listen to all of selected ambient works 85-92

hell yes, this is my go to for putting the newborn back to sleep at 3am in a dark room.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=live?huUK6jhAnV8

they're talking about al green and pineapple pizza

e:doh it just ended

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Fleetwood posted:

do you want them to get internet brain? because thats how you get internet brain

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

do you want them to get internet brain? because thats how you get internet brain

start em young on the path to cspam

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

oh yeah it's a constant concern. the stuff our kids view is generally restricted but they get to have a couple guilty pleasures here and there. the main stuff that zapped my brain when i saw them were the gacha club videos which are def made by weirdos so i had to put the kibosh on those a while ago

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Toddler just did the Naruto run. I'm thinking real hard about if I have to beat it out of him with the same ferver they used to beat left-handed-ness out of children.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
that's just how kids run now.

just like when you ask them to dance, it's the floss

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
if he hasnt seen naruto its not the naruto run

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
yeah my kid Naruto ran but have never seen it. probably saw it in the playground.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I remember Naruto running as a kid in like 94 because that's what Mario did when he had p speed in smw

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I wonder if the concerns about unfettered screen time are going to get validated or is just going to be like the kids who weren't allowed to watch the Simpsons because they thought Bart was too defiant.

I imagine a good gauge would be observations of public high school teachers over the next 5-10 years as well, since they'll definitely have kids that had sat on front of a tablet since they were infants.

Panfilo has issued a correction as of 01:52 on Apr 5, 2023

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

my son does the naruto run, i figure he picked it up from daycare

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

if he hasnt seen naruto its not the naruto run

He's tapping into his genetic memories.

Panfilo posted:

I wonder if the concerns about unfettered screen time are going to get validated or is just going to be like the kids who weren't allowed to watch the Simpsons because they thought Bart was too defiant.

I imagine a good gsuge would be observations of public high school teachers over the next 5-10 years as well, since they'll definitely have kids that had sat on front of a tablet since they were infants.

My wife was one of those kids and those kids grow up to be as wierd as homeschool kids.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

My kid just started doing it one day and we couldn't figure out way.

He has stopped and now does crazy inflatable arm wavey guy run.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Panfilo posted:

I imagine a good gauge would be observations of public high school teachers over the next 5-10 years as well, since they'll definitely have kids that had sat on front of a tablet since they were infants.

Entirely anecdotal but my wife's been a middle school teacher for 11 years now and sees a huge difference in academic performance just by which 6th/7th graders in her class have phones or not, or least which ones have them on them at all times.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

phones are poison.

I think "screen-time" is a separate item entirely though and my family lives all around the world and we spend a ton of time on zoom and my kid is going to see me staring at a screen for 8 hours a day doing work so idk...I've kinda baked it in and won't be avoiding them.

I will though be keeping phones away and doing everything in my power to eliminate advertising from reaching him.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

brugroffil posted:

Entirely anecdotal but my wife's been a middle school teacher for 11 years now and sees a huge difference in academic performance just by which 6th/7th graders in her class have phones or not, or least which ones have them on them at all times.

I'm gonna go ahead and assume it's more of a symptom than a cause though. The parents who limit screen time and don't give the kids everything they want are probably also more likely to insist on doing homework (and have dinner as a family without TV, I think that has been shown to have a big impact too.)

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

ikanreed posted:

I remember Naruto running as a kid in like 94 because that's what Mario did when he had p speed in smw

I Naruto ran in middle school gym cause that's how sonic ran in sonic adventure

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

BonHair posted:

(and have dinner as a family without TV, I think that has been shown to have a big impact too.)

this is a hard rule in our house. it irritates our kid to no end but that’s the rule .

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
I have low-level anxiety about the screen stuff. Ours is just eight months old so obviously not a problem yet, but man does she BEAM onto a screen any time it's within her field of view. We're also terrible examples because we have jobs on screens and hobbies on screens and are often guilty of looking at our small screens instead of giving full attention to the young one.

As for the Naruto run, it always seemed like an excellent way to ensure you hit the ground face first if you were to trip.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

BonHair posted:

I'm gonna go ahead and assume it's more of a symptom than a cause though. The parents who limit screen time and don't give the kids everything they want are probably also more likely to insist on doing homework (and have dinner as a family without TV, I think that has been shown to have a big impact too.)

Oh absolutely.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

If you make screens a rarity, then the kids will always zero in on them anytime they're around.
I've had screens around since my daughter's birth, and never restrict her time. She has always been good at managing her own screen time, just playing for a little bit at a time before wanting to do something more active.
If you make it a Thing, it'll be a Thing.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

That's not necessarily true, not for all kids at least.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Organic Lube User posted:

If you make screens a rarity, then the kids will always zero in on them anytime they're around.
I've had screens around since my daughter's birth, and never restrict her time. She has always been good at managing her own screen time, just playing for a little bit at a time before wanting to do something more active.
If you make it a Thing, it'll be a Thing.

I heard of a family that used restrictions on books instead of screen time, which made the kids super into the forbidden books.

But yeah, screens are super addictive, kids are gonna want them.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

imo it's not so much the screen itself as what they're being exposed to via it. for all the good kids shows etc out there, there is also a lot of media that is exploitative of dopamine hits to keep young minds hooked

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

kecske posted:

imo it's not so much the screen itself as what they're being exposed to via it. for all the good kids shows etc out there, there is also a lot of media that is exploitative of dopamine hits to keep young minds hooked

this. i have post-graduate training in basically designing addictive software and i do my best to keep my kid away from that poo poo.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

the game over scenario for my kid would be a skinner box game that is about horses, fishing , and dragons.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

In more uplifting news, I've caught the five year old reading the starter books we got at the library to himself with no adults in the room. Kid's gonna do alright, even when he inevitably gets a computer and becomes a poster.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

kecske posted:

When I was teaching at a middle school I had several students who spoke in memes. By their parents admission they were online unrestricted, even during meals. In a way it was kind of funny especially around Trump and the 2016 election, but definitely not a good thing.

I just read an interactive book with the two year old on a kindle fire. I think that sort of stuff is okay.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Insanite posted:

this. i have post-graduate training in basically designing addictive software and i do my best to keep my kid away from that poo poo.

Same but Disney kids movies. Cars is like fent for the toddler boy demographic.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

I also admittedly grew up mainlining unfiltered internet throughout my childhood, which included a firehose of insanely inappropriate content (rotten and ogrish come to mind). It certainly wasn't right that I was exposed to that and I don't want that for my kid whatsoever...but also I think the long-term impact of exposure to certain content is overstated.

None of it was really skinner-box tuned or high-speed as today, and there's a different dimension today too with how kids' peers are also publicly communicating their lives and drama around on social in a way that kinda makes school drama and trouble a 24/hour public event, rather than being able to be turned off after school ends.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
The way that I've approached the internet is kinda like how my homeland treated the outdoors and witchcraft. When I was a kid I did a few scout walks and militia trainings. I will seriously teach him digital survival techniques at similar milestones as when I was taught outdoors survival and spiritual survival. I think internet is about as responsible and appropriate.

I would teach them what sites are safe to navigate, where you can get warez, how to spot the difference between screenshots, AI generated pictures, and lossy reposts.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
earning my shitposting badge as we speak

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

sonatinas posted:

the game over scenario for my kid would be a skinner box game that is about horses, fishing , and dragons.

So Zelda?

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

funny you mention that. I whitelisted botw after I got all the armor upgraded plus DLC stuff so my kid can just play botw as a horse and cooking game. if it had real fishing it would be her only game.

she puts on majora’s mask and doesn’t have to fight. she does get upset bolson won’t get off her lawn at link’s house.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
my daughter seems to be developing latent trolling powers, at drop-in playtime she will find the grumpiest toddler in the room and gently offer them toys which they will usually knock away or try to push her away, or take toys near the toddler which causes them to get mad because the baby is taking 'their' toys.

she completely ignores their reaction while their parent is trying to get their kid to relax and apologize to me, but really i probably should be apologizing. she's growing more powerful by the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Dreylad posted:

my daughter seems to be developing latent trolling powers, at drop-in playtime she will find the grumpiest toddler in the room and gently offer them toys which they will usually knock away or try to push her away, or take toys near the toddler which causes them to get mad because the baby is taking 'their' toys.

she completely ignores their reaction while their parent is trying to get their kid to relax and apologize to me, but really i probably should be apologizing. she's growing more powerful by the day.

yeah my younger started doing that to their older sibling almost immediately, and haven't stopped in the five years since