Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Splicer posted:

A biologist who can understand threat signals would probably have lived longer yes. I'm not sure how much being a better archaeologist would have helped Shaw, but even in non-horror-film settings shooting electricity into one-of-a-kind biological artefacts until they explode is generally frowned upon these days.

Splicer posted:

So yes the words and deeds of the Prometheus crew are those of a science-themed clown car, but whether they're idiots in-fiction or if the reality of Prometheus considers these the actions of intelligent professionals is down to viewer interpretation. From star trek's tropes and conventions we know Kirk beaming down without a helmet isn't supposed to be indicative of any real ineptitude on his part, so is agitating a clearly aggressive unknown animal supposed to come across as stupid in Prometheusland or is this SOP and it's weird that it didn't work this time?

So we don't know if they only appear to be idiots due to bad writing, direction, or editing, or if they're supposed to be idiots and it's just the context that was lost to bad writing, direction, and editing.

In the first place this is just Prometheus "Kirk Drift". Even getting close to the mutant worm doesn't represent some kind of goofy clown routine for someone wearing a spacesuit that can withstand exposure to a storm of violent shrapnel who's addressing a creature that's about two or three fingers thick. Even if we ignore the fact that Milburn was A) trying to reassure his obviously-scared crush and B) high at the time, it would be stupid to imagine that a small-to-medium-sized snake can break your arm and puncture your armor in the space of seconds through main force. These guys aren't idiots; they just don't know they're in a horror movie.

Similarly, you don't know what the machine Shaw was using is or how it normally operates on corpses which haven't been injected with the primordial alchemical change-agent. You're like, argh, if these characters had been smarter they wouldn't have triggered the mummy's curse! But actually it was precisely not believing in curses that got them into this predicament.

HOWEVER. Let's say they are idiots, as you describe. Your approach to figuring out how and why remains completely bizarre and unworkable. There's no higher authority who can reassure you that your interpretation of the events onscreen is somehow correct or sanctioned. There's no "supposed to be". You can either support a conclusion with the courage of your convictions or shrug and give up out of lack of interest, but just because you, personally, can't figure out what's going on, that doesn't mean that-- hang on, let me see if I can dig a funny tweet I saw up.

Okay, bad news, I can't find it, but it was a scene from Scarface with an overlay of an animated face and a sort of news ticker, and the news ticker was like "THESE ACTIONS ARE BAD, YOU SHOULD NOT IDOLIZE HIM" as he shot some guys with a machine gun. Media doesn't work that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

banned from Starbucks posted:

The shotgun shot blue poo poo didn't it? I ain't never seen no conventional blue ammo.

I’d have to rewatch the scene.

Fun bit of trivia - the WY “dog catchers” in Alien3 have all-black pulse rifles that sound different when fired. This isn’t an accident - they’re not firing explosive tipped ammo (as evidenced by Morse taking a round to the knee and it doesn’t blow his leg off), so the firing sounds different.

The opening credits showing ‘Alien’-style cryotubes rather than the ones from ‘Aliens’ *is* a mistake though :v:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Ferrinus posted:

In the first place this is just Prometheus "Kirk Drift". Even getting close to the mutant worm doesn't represent some kind of goofy clown routine for someone wearing a spacesuit that can withstand exposure to a storm of violent shrapnel who's addressing a creature that's about two or three fingers thick. Even if we ignore the fact that Milburn was A) trying to reassure his obviously-scared crush and B) high at the time, it would be stupid to imagine that a small-to-medium-sized snake can break your arm and puncture your armor in the space of seconds through main force. These guys aren't idiots; they just don't know they're in a horror movie.

Similarly, you don't know what the machine Shaw was using is or how it normally operates on corpses which haven't been injected with the primordial alchemical change-agent. You're like, argh, if these characters had been smarter they wouldn't have triggered the mummy's curse! But actually it was precisely not believing in curses that got them into this predicament.

HOWEVER. Let's say they are idiots, as you describe. Your approach to figuring out how and why remains completely bizarre and unworkable. There's no higher authority who can reassure you that your interpretation of the events onscreen is somehow correct or sanctioned. There's no "supposed to be". You can either support a conclusion with the courage of your convictions or shrug and give up out of lack of interest, but just because you, personally, can't figure out what's going on, that doesn't mean that-- hang on, let me see if I can dig a funny tweet I saw up.

Okay, bad news, I can't find it, but it was a scene from Scarface with an overlay of an animated face and a sort of news ticker, and the news ticker was like "THESE ACTIONS ARE BAD, YOU SHOULD NOT IDOLIZE HIM" as he shot some guys with a machine gun. Media doesn't work that way.

It is interesting watching people inadvertently agree with the line of reasoning that led to the "horror and sci-fi cannot overlap" tweet.

"Fun Fact: The Blockbuster Video Store Handbook historically categorized Alien in the sci-fi section."

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't only Holloway and Shaw referred to as doctors? That would be a strong indication that Fifeld and Milburn and the rest don't possess terminal degrees in their fields and aren't the most qualified scientists.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ruddiger posted:

"Fun Fact: The Blockbuster Video Store Handbook historically categorized Alien in the sci-fi section."

I was going to fact-check this because I worked for Blockbuster for 7 years but as I think back I think you’re right.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The assertion that Milburn didn’t understand the threat display is a grievous misinterpretation of the scene anyways.

Milburn was deliberately provoking the snake to see what it would do, & demonstrate to Fifield that it couldn’t harm them.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Splicer's criticism of the exploding head scene is actually a great example of how Prometheus's "Kirk Drift" is caused by people missing or ignoring details because they're just looking for some sort of extra-diegetic confirmation of their preconceptions instead.

In the actual scene, Shaw hooks the head up to some equipment to try to revivify it and therefore learn something about (perhaps even interact with...!) the engineers. The machine works, and the head actually does come back to life. However, its immediate affect is one of pain and horror, and we rapidly learn why: more and more of its white skin starts to blacken and bulge, presumably because it's been infected with the mutagenic goo that had a part in killing all the other engineers. The scientists realize what's going on and rapidly seal the head behind glass (or plastic or something) before it actually bursts. Notably, no one is hurt or infected, no vital resources are lost or damaged, etc. The entire experiment actually went as well as it could possibly go given that the engineer had already been slimed and was probably going to burst or liquefy or whatever regardless. At worst, we end up sharing in the characters' disappointment that they weren't able to learn much more beyond "drat, these guys got hosed".

However, years of whining later, this scene gets transmuted into Shaw being like "wwoooOOOaaaAAAahh..!! 🤪🤪🤪" as she cranks a dial too far to the right and blows the head up the same way you might ruin some sausages in a microwave.

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Apr 4, 2023

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Xenomrph posted:

Fun bit of trivia - the WY “dog catchers” in Alien3 have all-black pulse rifles that sound different when fired. This isn’t an accident - they’re not firing explosive tipped ammo (as evidenced by Morse taking a round to the knee and it doesn’t blow his leg off), so the firing sounds different.

Noticed that from the first time I saw it but I had no idea that was intentional. Neat.

… assuming it was intentional and not just a fan justification for why the production design is off

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

david_a posted:

Noticed that from the first time I saw it but I had no idea that was intentional. Neat.

… assuming it was intentional and not just a fan justification for why the production design is off

The movie’s production was all over the place but I’ve heard it was intentional, but that’s also like 3rd-hand knowledge so take it with a grain of salt I guess.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Splicer posted:

A biologist who can understand threat signals would probably have lived longer yes. I'm not sure how much being a better archaeologist would have helped Shaw, but even in non-horror-film settings shooting electricity into one-of-a-kind biological artefacts until they explode is generally frowned upon these days.

I've gotten bitten by my own snake due to being drunk at the time and he was on space weed. I'd literally probably do the exact same thing as him in that situation and I've soberly freely been around everything from sharks to lions to gorillas in the wild.

I would not survive Prometheus. Not a scientist, just an adventurer though, so I wouldn't be on the trip.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I am like 75% certain the other guy was the one on space weed but I'm open to being corrected that it was both of them.

But also again maybe hotboxing your suit while wandering around an alien tomb on an unexplored, potentially inhabited extrasolar planet is itself an indicator of being a dumbfuck idiot who shouldn't be there.

Fake edit: while trying to track down who was and was not stoned I found out that poor Milburn really got done dirty in rewrites.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Splicer posted:

Understanding and respecting are different things. I'd argue he had the former and not the latter.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Ferrinus posted:

In the actual scene, Shaw hooks the head up to some equipment to try to revivify it and therefore learn something about (perhaps even interact with...!) the engineers. The machine works, and the head actually does come back to life. However, its immediate affect is one of pain and horror, and we rapidly learn why: more and more of its white skin starts to blacken and bulge, presumably because it's been infected with the mutagenic goo that had a part in killing all the other engineers. The scientists realize what's going on and rapidly seal the head behind glass (or plastic or something) before it actually bursts. Notably, no one is hurt or infected, no vital resources are lost or damaged, etc. The entire experiment actually went as well as it could possibly go given that the engineer had already been slimed and was probably going to burst or liquefy or whatever regardless. At worst, we end up sharing in the characters' disappointment that they weren't able to learn much more beyond "drat, these guys got hosed".
This is... an extremely charitable reading of the below scene:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aenLQps2WTM
It's exactly as I remembered it, and "wwoooOOOaaaAAAahh..!! 🤪🤪🤪" is an apt description for jamming an electrified probe into a disembodied head's brain to "trick the nervous system into thinking it's alive" mere seconds after opening the lid.

I also rewatched the snake scene which was also as stupid as I remembered it and described it. This is not me "kirk drift"ing my memories, it's just me accurately recalling a film I didn't like.

Dienes posted:

Understanding and respecting are different things. I'd argue he had the former and not the latter.
:hmmyes: that's fair

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Splicer posted:

This is... an extremely charitable reading of the below scene:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aenLQps2WTM
It's exactly as I remembered it, and "wwoooOOOaaaAAAahh..!! 🤪🤪🤪" is an apt description for jamming an electrified probe into a disembodied head's brain to "trick the nervous system into thinking it's alive" mere seconds after opening the lid.

Okay, but it worked. The probe tricked the nervous system into thinking it was alive, because the head really did come to life.

Do you think the head specifically began to bulge and distend before exploding because of the electric probe? Is that, in your view, what electric current does? Cause corpses to explode? How much current would be required to literally detonate a human head, would you say?

How do you know how much prep work and scanning they've done? (They certainly had enough to set all the equipment up and get into scrubs!) How do you know how their procedure works or how many times they've done it before? More to the point, what do you think they did wrong, and what negative consequences did they suffer for their mistake?

Something you'll notice the more you actually pay attention to Prometheus is that even insofar as the scientists do something scientifically questionable, it A) comes from having a high level of trust in their gear and more importantly, B), actually works out perfectly fine most of the time. Noooo Charlie don't take your helmet off just because your scanners say the air's safe aaaargh don't do it! Oh, the air was in fact safe, silly me.

quote:

I also rewatched the snake scene which was also as stupid as I remembered it and described it. This is not me "kirk drift"ing my memories, it's just me accurately recalling a film I didn't like.

As SMG writes, Milburn is actually demonstrating in the scene that the snake can't harm him, to Fifeld, who is irrationally scared of a very small creature.

The reason that Fifeld's irrational fear proves out against Milburn's steely confidence is that the two men are characters in a horror movie. They have no way of knowing that a small snake can do what a storm of razor shrapnel can't.

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Apr 5, 2023

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I prefer my buddy's interpretation of the head scene:

*gasp* "Their heads explode when you run an incredibly strong electric current through them - just like ours!!!"

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

This country executed over 4000 people via electrocution, less than 2% were considered “botched” and of those botched executions, some heads caught fire and sparked, none were recorded as exploding.

But your friend is pretty hilarious!

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I refuse to introduce facts and logic to a conversation I had over a few beers and a joint with a buddy while watching a mediocre Alien prequel and talking over the whole thing.

The point is that it's a dumb scene.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Mister Speaker posted:

I prefer my buddy's interpretation of the head scene:

*gasp* "Their heads explode when you run an incredibly strong electric current through them - just like ours!!!"

Look at this! Their head explosion predates ours!

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

ruddiger posted:

This country executed over 4000 people via electrocution, less than 2% were considered “botched” and of those botched executions, some heads caught fire and sparked, none were recorded as exploding.

When you realize that Prometheus exists in the same continuity as Mr. Death.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Just running 19th century Galvanics experiments on a giant head. Very advanced stuff. Ignore the MedBed

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
One occasion where an evil android would actually have been in the right.

"Holy poo poo. The preserved head of an intelligent extraterrestrial. Possibly the most remarkable scientific discovery of all time. Now, what should we do with it?"
"It has to go back, all sorts of tests have to be made..."
[Bzzt crackle] "Yo, ah gawt Ol' Sparky all hooked up and ready ter probulate! Hyuk!"

Edit: rewatched the scene, and it's under 30 seconds between removing the helmet and Shaw's "How about we zap its brain to trick it into coming to life?" The doctor should have gone "Yeah okay, Lara Croft, how about you wait over there and dust some clay pots?"

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Apr 5, 2023

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Ferrinus posted:

Okay, but it worked. The probe tricked the nervous system into thinking it was alive, because the head really did come to life.

Do you think the head specifically began to bulge and distend before exploding because of the electric probe? Is that, in your view, what electric current does? Cause corpses to explode? How much current would be required to literally detonate a human head, would you say?

How do you know how much prep work and scanning they've done? (They certainly had enough to set all the equipment up and get into scrubs!) How do you know how their procedure works or how many times they've done it before? More to the point, what do you think they did wrong, and what negative consequences did they suffer for their mistake?

Something you'll notice the more you actually pay attention to Prometheus is that even insofar as the scientists do something scientifically questionable, it A) comes from having a high level of trust in their gear and more importantly, B), actually works out perfectly fine most of the time. Noooo Charlie don't take your helmet off just because your scanners say the air's safe aaaargh don't do it! Oh, the air was in fact safe, silly me.

As SMG writes, Milburn is actually demonstrating in the scene that the snake can't harm him, to Fifeld, who is irrationally scared of a very small creature.

The reason that Fifeld's irrational fear proves out against Milburn's steely confidence is that the two men are characters in a horror movie. They have no way of knowing that a small snake can do what a storm of razor shrapnel can't.
I ran across some earlier drafts and in one of them Milburn is very worried about the hammerpede, but his mistake was trying to treat it like a dangerous snake. That's a much more interesting take to me.

We know a lot more about the head scene than you're letting on. They've just finished scanning the head and discovered that it's in fact a head in a helmet rather than a head with an exoskeleton. They discover the new growth and then go straight to electrics in the brain. From "this is a helmet" to shock therapy in under a minute.

It's also not what they do, it's what they don't do. They electrocuted its brain to provoke a response, presumably in the "new growth". You know what you do before you do an (insane) experiment? You take before samples. We know they didn't because we see the head the entire time. They pop the top vaguely, vaguely wave some tweezers and scrapers at it while continually backing off from actively using them, and then go full frankenstein.

You don't try to "promote new growth" of an unknown life form out in the middle of the room, you put it in containment /first/ and then do it through a barrier. lol at their slow-rear end conveyor belt.

You keep saying "they don't know they're in a horror film", as if their behaviour would make sense in everything that's not a horror film. You and SMG keep saying "kirk drift" to describe accurate (if humorous) descriptions of readily available scenes. This made me realise something: Shaw doesn't act like she's "not in a horror film", she acts like she's in a Kirk Drifted episode of Star Trek. She'd be duct taping dilithium crystals to the deflector dish before Scottie finished debriefing the captain.

Put an extra few minutes in there of sampling, looking at the results, "oh hey these cells are alive!", and /then/ jam a cattle prod into the brain.

You want to see Vickers sabotage things? Have her suggest they try "waking it up" and then position herself by the door.

But "hey look at these lumps HOOK THE BRAINS TO THE MAINS" in less time than it took Ash to get the Nostromo's airlock open? /Wesley/ would call that impulsive.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Apr 5, 2023

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
If we're making Star Trek comparisons, the Prometheus crew are the Pakleds.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

ruddiger posted:

I've been deliberately avoiding this because I'm talking about stupid behaviour not standard stupid movie science, and also we have no idea what voltages are being applied, and also I'm not an expert, but it's my understanding that high voltage is needed to kill people because a lot of voltage is required to get through our skin's resistance. If you go through the skin much lower is needed to cause internal burns and damage. Pacemakers operate on centiamps, the electric chair caps out at 16 amps, and they jam 30 to 50 amps straight into the engineer's brain tissue.

Again absolutely happy to be schooled on this by anyone with real knowledge, "subcutaneous electric shock nerve damage voltage" is not getting me anything.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Apr 5, 2023

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Ferrinus posted:

Yeah, I've never really understood these criticisms of Prometheus and Covenant. With Covenant it's even worse, they should know that this planet with breathable atmosphere and wheat fields is full of spores that will cause a monster to grow inside you until you explode?

Darko posted:

I've gotten bitten by my own snake due to being drunk at the time and he was on space weed.
Don't get your snake high! That is not appropriate!

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Apr 5, 2023

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The Covenant one does kinda bug me because that seems like a sensible precaution for any explorers in their situation. Even discounting alien monsters they should be thinking 'okay will we get space Ebola from going down unprotected in this planet we've literally just discovered and know nearly nothing about?' Like sure their computer said the atmosphere was safe and earthlike and whatnot but that's very broad strokes and even for people doing their jobs who don't know they're in a horror movie their actions come off as comically blase about the risks of what they're doing

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Meanwhile the colonial marines show up into a definitely probable hostile environment in sleeveless tank tops

In the middle of a storm

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

No Dignity posted:

The Covenant one does kinda bug me because that seems like a sensible precaution for any explorers in their situation. Even discounting alien monsters they should be thinking 'okay will we get space Ebola from going down unprotected in this planet we've literally just discovered and know nearly nothing about?' Like sure their computer said the atmosphere was safe and earthlike and whatnot but that's very broad strokes and even for people doing their jobs who don't know they're in a horror movie their actions come off as comically blase about the risks of what they're doing

It’s actually wildly improbable that an alien equivalent of a bacteria/virus would have any way to “infect” us at all. It would be adapted to a completely unrelated biology. It’s only because we are the result of science experiment distantly related to the science experiment that makes the spores that anything happens at all.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

No Dignity posted:

In addition to what Deimos wrote, the purpose of going to the planet(s) in the first place is for widespread and long-term colonization, which would be unfeasable if everyone were paranoid about existing in hermetically-sealed domes and wearing helmets 24/7. At some point, you're going to have to remove the helmet.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I wasn’t real impressed by Covenant when I first saw it in the theater, but I’ve kind of come around on it since then.

I mean it’s kind of silly, but man, David is an all-time great villain, and the gore and kill scenes are sort of delightful in a silly kind of way.

Not real fond of the implication that David created the aliens, but we’ve gone around and around about that ITT and I have no desire to discuss it beyond what I just said.

The film also looks great, Ridley’s always had a great visual sense.

Suffice it to say, it’s on HBO this month and every time I see it’s on I’ll flip over and join it in progress.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
There's a great moment in When Worlds Collide ('51) when, having escaped the doomed Earth to a wandering planet, one of the colonists asks, "wait, should we test the atmosphere before we leave the rocket?" and is answered with "Why bother? If the atmosphere is unbreathable then we're dead anyways."

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Y'all are acting as if the colonists in Covenant aren't just a bunch of space Mormon emigrants blindly traveling out on the Oregon Trail hoping they don't get smallpox.

Should they have kept their helmets on and checked the atmosphere? Yeah, if they were a highly-trained corporate strike-team. But in actuality they're a bunch of undertrained rubes that The Company is sending out into the unknown.

e: They heard Country Roads playing over their radio, so they "know" humans are down there. It makes sense they'd assume there are no atmosphere issues. There's wheat down there, for god's sake.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Apr 5, 2023

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

feedmyleg posted:

Y'all are acting as if the colonists in Covenant aren't just a bunch of space Mormon emigrants blindly traveling out on the Oregon Trail hoping they don't get smallpox.

Now I want a big Netflix budget take on Olivia Butler's Survivor.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ruddiger posted:

Meanwhile the colonial marines show up into a definitely probable hostile environment in sleeveless tank tops

In the middle of a storm

To be fair an atmosphere processor had been running and the planet had been successfully colonized and inhabited for decades, so they legit had no reason to think the atmosphere wasn’t safe.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The situation with the colonists in Covenant seemed a bit odd to me just because of the timeline. The feeling I got with the Prometheus was that it was this secret ultra-expensive mission put together by like the only guy on Earth who could've made it happen. Cut to like 20ish years later and now we have this gigantic ship carrying hundreds of colonists into deep space, I just didn't realize humanity had advanced that far.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Xenomrph posted:

To be fair an atmosphere processor had been running and the planet had been successfully colonized and inhabited for decades, so they legit had no reason to think the atmosphere wasn’t safe.
That's where those "Vietnam War parallel" things makes it kind of funny that they're not made up in like armor or fatigues.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Xenomrph posted:

Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) for exposure to sulfuric acid (e.g. being in the same room as it).

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Cameron's future definitely has no PPE or Labor Union protections for space workers, the company operates in the same way current billionaires/conglomerates operate.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) for exposure to sulfuric acid (e.g. being in the same room as it).

:lol: I get what you're saying here, but I worked in analytical chemistry for a short time regularly handling sulfuric acid and I was only given gloves and safety glasses.

Now, granted, that did in fact factor pretty heavily into why I left that job.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Apr 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ruddiger posted:

Cameron's future definitely has no PPE or Labor Union protections for space workers, the company operates in the same way current billionaires/conglomerates operate.

It’s depressingly funny how decades-old sci-fi/horror media tried to depict “unrealistically corrupt/evil mega corporations” that look positively benign/quaint compared to the modern day corporate hellscape we live in today. WY, OCP, Umbrella Corporation, the company from Johnny Mnemonic, etc