Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
I had the same impression re:sharing stamps, that it would be more like Factorio where you can just post the string. Oh well. I think I will be using them for housing and animal farms mainly, everything else is more freeform usually. Although I do have some clusters of industries that I set up in the late game, when I'm mass producing everything around a trade union. Might be useful.

e: I did notice in the patch notes that ctrl-shift clicking will now fully unload a ship, which is nice. And Hacienda Breweries are affected by electricity :getin:

Gadzuko fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Apr 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
Oh, turns out you can share stamps, the patch notes are just a little ambiguous. People are already sharing them in the subreddit and discord, and they're appropriately tiny. You just need these folders:

Which you can create manually, or have the game do automatically when you first use the stamp tool within a given region.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Yes! Yeesssss! You can generate Grand Gallery tickets just via exhibitions now! And among the things you can buy with said tickets are a bunch of Nate's arctic items, which are normally something of a pain to get the scrap for.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
The Annoverse Discord has created a forum just for Stamps. There's a few in there now and I'm sure more will be added soon.

Also from reddit, here is a link to a canned food one (gotta be one of the most annoying things in the game)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fQt8juYJ0aVHTN3Caiyq2ZHAB69JxIei/view?usp=sharing

Mayveena fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Apr 5, 2023

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Mayveena posted:

The Annoverse Discord has created a forum just for Stamps. There's a few in there now and I'm sure more will be added soon.

Also from reddit, here is a link to a canned food one (gotta be one of the most annoying things in the game)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fQt8juYJ0aVHTN3Caiyq2ZHAB69JxIei/view?usp=sharing
I don't make Canned food without that Chef Micheal honestly.

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007
Doing Enbesa for the first time and... I'm really not sure how to feel about how it presents its story compared to the Passage. Being presented with a choice, peeking over at the Anno Wiki to see the potential impact and being presented with this was wild

Fun challenge to build around irrigation though! I feel I'm brute forcing it by using tractors for most fields, but the lack of any kind of commuter pier makes me feel less guilty about it.

As for the latest new world DLC; Should I build the "normal" houses, or start phasing them out for the new Hacienda once I reached Artists?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah embesa rules. Don't feel intimidated or feel the need to optimize, youcan basically summarize it as this:

Gain the allegiance of 3 Cities, you have The Quick Way where you tell their traditions to go gently caress themselves and run it over for expediency or The Wholesome method which is usually more involved, requires more resources and Actual Reading to solve the quests and gets you the island along with a bonus and some good islands

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lamquin posted:

As for the latest new world DLC; Should I build the "normal" houses, or start phasing them out for the new Hacienda once I reached Artists?

You'll need at least some normal houses initially since the Hacienda's range is based on the island's population and it starts off pretty small. After that it depends on the size of your island - for a small island a Hacienda can potentially cover the entire thing and there's not really any reason to have normal houses after that point - the Hacienda houses are larger but more space efficient. For example, assuming all needs are met (including lifestyle needs), a standard Obrera residence can hold 55 pops in a 3x3 square, or about 6.1 pops per tile. The Obrera Hacienda residence holds 105 pops in a 4x4 square, or about 6.5 per tile. It's not a huge difference but it's still the most people you can pack in per tile in the new world.

That said, the Hacienda range does cap out at a certain point and it won't be anywhere near large enough to cover the larger islands and especially not Manola, so you're still going to be using normal houses there. You also want to consider that maybe packing houses as densely as possible inside the Hacienda radius might not be the most effective use of the space, since Hacienda farms are crazy space efficient and will probably save you more room than the houses, and both the farms and breweries give you unique production options you can't get from normal New World buildings.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

It really depends on the island, yeah. Some islands: yeah absolutely go Hacienda houses and make it all Jornalero/Obreros. Especially once you get commuters set up.

Some others, the houses go over there, the hacienda over there where you can fit in breweries, fertilizer works, etc. in.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
So I've gotten back into this again after putting it down for some time and I've kind of gotten back up to the point I fell off it last time, where I'm just getting into investors and the supply chains get so complicated that I kind of lose track of everything, especially when getting into the DLC areas. Anyone have any strategies for keeping everything supplied? I usually do okay when I can have one main island and a bunch of smaller islands that feed into it, but where it starts to get confusing is when even the smaller islands start requiring resources that the main island also needs (particularly oil for tractors/electricity) and trying to spread the supplies out evenly becomes a bit of a nightmare.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

One thing is to just keep on trying to keep stuff focused/consolidated - such as a main island for population as you're probably already doing. In some cases, I'll just make stuff such as work clothes in multiple places if I need to support population somewhere else before I can start to solve the problem with commuter piers and the free population bonuses, but it definitely gets messy if you need to support higher tiers of population on multiple islands - its best to avoid it if you can and maybe even expand to more islands so you can abuse the free population bonuses in ways that make sense without complicating your supply lines.

As for getting good around you can:
1) Use routes with multiple drop-offs. Good produced at Z gets dropped off at A, B and C. So long as you produce enough (and keep an eye on things) storages will fill up and all islands will eventually be supplied. (Or I think you can use storage caps)
2) Use a "pass through" - Boat A takes goods from Island Z to Island Y. Boat B then takes excess (you can set bottom limits of storage) from Y to X.

And you can kind of use these in tandem - say you have multiple islands producing oil, you can run boats to consolidate all the oil at one location within a region. I feel like this is helpful for transitioning goods between different maps too.

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

high five, more dead than alive

Lamquin posted:

I'm going to go against the grain on this one, and go a step further and say hacienda quarters are usually a trap choice. Yes, they are more space efficient, but that margin doesn't account for the space that's needed to support them. At this point, I never use hacienda jornaleros. Never, ever. Schnapps isn't hard to give them, and in fact it's got an upside because more schnapps leaving my OW distilleries gives me more rum over there, and that's always nice. Even worth the influence to ship it over, because I'd have to otherwise ship that rum from NW anyway.

But then we get to hot sauce, and gently caress. hot. sauce. In a huge empire, this can lead to two entire Enbesan islands growing nothing but peppers, and 1-2 gigantic trade union hot sauce installations in the New World just to keep up with hot sauce demand if I use hacienda quarters for both obreros and jornos. Hot sauce making is a slow business even with a trade union, and incredibly prone to exploding even if I do bury it in fire stations, plus there's the influence cost of the shipping for the peppers and then the shipping for the hot sauce. Ugh. Hell no, gently caress no. I'll build a market and some more regular jornalero shacks. They work just fine.

Obrero/artista hacienda quarters are another matter. They are worth their hot sauce and almost equally annoying atole if you are pushing for a beauty island to unlock the Assemblies policy in the hacienda. This gives a MASSIVE influence boost and is worth the sauces. But I never hacienda quarter my obreros/artistas on a non-beauty island. Hacienda obreros need special production chains just to exist (hot sauce/atole), and those chains are both space and influence intensive. And the difference between regular artistas and hacienda artsitas is that the hacienda artistas need spectacles and electricity, but don't use hot sauce and atole. Yeah no thanks, rather have the electricity somewhere else and just build a few more regular artista houses.

So, jornalero hacienda housing never worth it imho. Obrero/artista hacienda housing worth it only if unlocking Assemblage policy in the hacienda. Otherwise, no.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Is there any way to stop an AI I'm not at war with from doing constant propaganda fly-bys on my cities for no apparent reason? I'm not even sure who is doing it but I'm guessing it's Willie since the other two AIs like me a lot more and he's around 55-ish. I don't mind the happiness hit since I never really get riots anyway but occasionally there's a production penalty from it which is more annoying.

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Is there any way to stop an AI I'm not at war with from doing constant propaganda fly-bys on my cities for no apparent reason?
I think taking his island away is the only way.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

So much of dealing with expanding AI players in this game comes down to "tolerate this or fully exterminate them," and once you've assembled the armaments industry to put together a battlecruiser fleet which sails to victory on a tide of blood you no longer really have a use for it, or your victorious murder fleet.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Something that just occurred to me - is there any point to supplying the lifestyle needs for investors? Mail gives a decent amount of cash and is generally easy to provide since I'm already supplying it to boost the workforce of the lower pop tiers, but otherwise it seems like a lot of them just aren't worth the trouble. They don't provide workforce and the influence bonus is a per house thing so raw population numbers are pretty meaningless (I suppose it does help with more profile levels but by that point you'll be getting influence way faster from just building more investor houses).

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Disgusting amounts of cash, and population number go up. That's it. Investors don't have workforce, but they do have big population numbers. Also if you're weird like me and run on low income/high skyscraper upkeep the added influx of money is absolutely worth it.

Other than that? Not really.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Mail production is a function of population, while mail consumption is per house, so boosting population via lifestyle goods makes the mail system easier to manage. Even at lower pop levels fulfilling a few lifestyle needs can make a noticeable difference in mail production.

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

LonsomeSon posted:

So much of dealing with expanding AI players in this game comes down to "tolerate this or fully exterminate them," and once you've assembled the armaments industry to put together a battlecruiser fleet which sails to victory on a tide of blood you no longer really have a use for it, or your victorious murder fleet.

Yup, kinda. Depends I think. A couple pages ago I vomited a big post on passive trade that kinda makes the case for leaving them alive, clinging to one at least medium island so they can deliver goods and trigger freebies at a boosted harbor. For example in my current new world Gasparov's last remaining island makes all my industrial oil and a few other products, and delivers them for lol investor money. Over in Enbesa he tops off my elder goods on Taborime on a regular basis. Basically, I tame and farm the NPCs. That doesn't work on Margaret Hunt (who doesn't give a gently caress), and you have to be at eternal war with the pirates to keep Alonso happy. And sometimes leaving them even a medium island just doesn't work, and no matter what you do they won't upgrade their harbor to a medium trading post and start delivering decent stuff. Von Malching and Gasparov seem to be particularly good at building out their islands for trade. Beryl and George are pretty bad at it.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Anyone seriously try Creative? I just started on a creative map and it's very very strange for me, playing as much normal Anno as I have. Thing is, for all the normal Anno I've played, there's so much I haven't seen in the game, as I quit in frustration too much. So finally maybe I'll get to use airships, lifestyle needs, tourists, skyscrapers, and the post office.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Is there any way to copy/paste warehouse settings from island to island? (Minimum stock, etc)

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

LonsomeSon posted:

Speaking of exterminating, I think I took all the islands from the AI, do I also need to destroy every ship as well? And airships too?

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

grate deceiver posted:

Speaking of exterminating, I think I took all the islands from the AI, do I also need to destroy every ship as well? And airships too?

It's been an awfully long time since I've done it, I think I just had to have beaten and taken over every one of their harbors. Look carefully around every session, there's probably a tiny spit of rock somewhere that your eyes glossed over.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Something that just occurred to me - is there any point to supplying the lifestyle needs for investors? Mail gives a decent amount of cash and is generally easy to provide since I'm already supplying it to boost the workforce of the lower pop tiers, but otherwise it seems like a lot of them just aren't worth the trouble. They don't provide workforce and the influence bonus is a per house thing so raw population numbers are pretty meaningless (I suppose it does help with more profile levels but by that point you'll be getting influence way faster from just building more investor houses).

Unless things have changed with the last year of DLC, you will eventually hit a softcap on other sources of influence and huge populations become the realistic way to get more. And since investor houses hold the most, you're gonna want a lot.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Football tournaments in the New World straight up just give you more Influence on completion.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Eschatos posted:

Unless things have changed...

LonsomeSon posted:

Things have changed.

To expand on what LonsomeSon mentioned, New World Rising added a Football Stadium. It's basically a counterpart to the Old World's World Fair, only every time you do a tournament you get a permanent chunk of influence added to your total. The devs specifically stated it was added so that more artistic builders didn't have to build islands full of investors/engineers specifically to grind out the influence needed to make shiny things on other islands. Then they also added Creative Mode for those who just wanted pretty things and didn't care about the underlying mechanics at all.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

I'm losing my mind here, I have exterminated the ai from both new and old world, taken all islands, hunted down each ship and airship hiding on edges of the map. Map completely revealed, no blue dots anywhere, no blue dots hiding under other markers. I've also opened arctic, but no AI colonized yet, I think because I have not advanced the quest enough.

It still has economic score of 20 and military ~140, is it at all possible that it has an island in one of the regions I haven't opened yet?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Absolutely. The AI cannot claim Crown Falls or Taborime until the player arrives, after that they can be claimed by conquest if you let your guard down. The rest of the islands are fair game for the AIs to settle on before you get there. Likewise the AI cannot move into the Arctic at all until you settle your first Natural Gas glacier. It's rather easy to just snag every island and then not deal with them.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Welp, you were right. Turns out this fucker settled multiple islands in Cape Trelawney before I even done the expedition. Hopefully after this I can finally get back to my spinny plates.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

If you want to do anything elaborate with the Arctic, like sustaining enough Technicians on glaciers to provide Local Mail for King William Island and Arctic Reports for a bulky population of Scholars, nailing down all of the islands before you settle 2-4 of the glaciers all at once will make your future game much less frustrating, yeah.

Likewise you probably want to settle several off-islands in Enbesa, as soon as you can, so you can get the least-hosed-up multi-island supply routes for once you’re building up a fuckhuge Elders population.

At least it’s not 2070 where you need a small cargo fleet with enough tools and bricks to cover every beach on a new island with warehouse range so nobody comes and steals a piece of it.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
I just play with NPCs off :shobon:

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

totalnewbie posted:

:same: They are too irritating for me.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Yeah, I went with NPCs to get the full experience, but they don't really add anything to the game. I guess managing influence to build defences is another plate to spin, but after a while when they can't really hurt you anymore it just becomes tedious. And once they declare war, the fuckers will not relent, you have to exterminate them completely to get some peace.

It could have been interesting if the AI operated on the same rules as the player, so you could crash their economy by disrupting shipping lanes etc. But they cheat, so it doesn't matter. Luckily I picked only one 2-star AI, so once I get rid of it I can get on with building.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
If you want NPCs but don't really want to have to deal with them, the 1-star NPCs won't settle islands in areas you haven't unlocked yet, and will ask permission before they settle islands in areas you have (although I did notice in one of my games that Willie was inconsistent about this and I think it depends on how much he likes you. Bente and Qing asked every time - that may also depend on how much they like you but it's very hard for them to ever dislike you). Even then it can just be nicer not to have to worry about NPCs at all and if you're never going to go to war with them they don't add a lot to the game. I feel like a nice middle ground is no competitors, but set pirates to hard. That way you still have to care about your military but there's no race to claim islands before a competitor snatches them up.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

totalnewbie posted:

I didn't convert to this reasoning until a little way into 1800, and I built up like 2700 hours in 2070.

I've found the limit for the size of Anno 1800 game that my hardware can run and the game still be worth playing to me, and while it's still the biggest I've ever gotten (almost 200k Investors, I think like 5k people on King William as well for International Mail and Arctic Reports) it's nowhere near what I had mapped out. Fortunately in the next six months or so I should be able to build a modern system (this is a midrange self-built box from eight years ago) and I can fulfill my dream of a Crown Falls Ecumenopolis where the smallest buildings are size 3 engineer scrapers.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Was thinking about getting this since it's on sale but there's a staggering amount of DLC. Is it all worthwhile? The complete is an extra 34 bucks, which I guess isn't bad given how many there are but I don't know how much is just cosmetic poo poo.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Grand Fromage posted:

Was thinking about getting this since it's on sale but there's a staggering amount of DLC. Is it all worthwhile? The complete is an extra 34 bucks, which I guess isn't bad given how many there are but I don't know how much is just cosmetic poo poo.

There are cosmetics of course but it is actually an overwhelming amount of content.

Like.. a lot. If your concern is that you'll just be buying cosmetics and not gameplay changes/content, it's absolutely not something to be concerned about.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
The complete edition doesn't include the cosmetics. It's all gameplay. There's 12 gameplay DLCs and you could buy them piecemeal if you want, but there aren't any DLC that I would say are outright bad and should be avoided. The only downside is that you will be hit with an absolutely overwhelming amount of poo poo To Do at certain progression points but you can always ignore it until you're ready, or just disable DLCs at game start.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
It makes more sense to just buy the season passes rather than pick and choose DLC since they cost the same as the major DLC they contain anyway so all the cosmetic stuff is just kind of a bonus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

The hard part of getting overwhelmed by poo poo to Do is figuring out what stuff is side stuff and what stuff is mainline stuff, if you don't know what DLC does what. Basically, getting to the New World and setting up basic supply lines to deal with the quest nemesis is mainline, while almost everything else is a side quest. However, consider chasing the queen relatively early after getting the new story island on your starting map, because that opens up a huge building space for you.

Also strongly consider turning the AI to just the easiest 1* folks, or turning them off entirely.