Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )
If an old employer was to call me (who I had a poo poo time with) you'd best believe I am not picking up the phone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Handover is handover and then it's done. They had my notice period to figure it out!

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Chewbecca posted:

Handover is handover and then it's done. They had my notice period to figure it out!

Nah, I'll 100% talk to an old employer, even a lovely one, at least long enough to figure out what the call is for. If they want me to come in and un-gently caress something that they ignored in handover? I'm absolutely happy to come back in and unfuck their poo poo if they pay me. If I didn't like working there? And the boss was an rear end in a top hat? You better believe I'm quoting a higher rate than normal.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
My machine has been leaking for a while, and it wasn't the usual suspects. So I resorted to pulling the coolant reservoir and conveyor out from under the machine to check there. It was filled to the brim with swarf and I spent half the day just getting that poo poo out. A colleague remarked my machine hasn't had its reservoir cleaned or had any sort of maintenance done since he started working here, five years ago.

We're probably due some horrible catastrofuck maintenance hell sooner rather than later.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Lazyfire posted:

The year before Sandy hit the Northeast there was a massive freak snowstorm in October, still early enough in the season to have green leaves on a number of trees and caused a bunch of outages and damage. In the summer we got hit with Irene and had an even worse time where people were without power for over a month due to the number of downed trees. Everyone got mad at the government and the private companies that managed the power lines and so there was a big panel and report in Connecticut, which got hit incredibly hard, to determine what caused this and how to fix it before the next year. The number one recommendation was to go all out on tree removals as we had one of the thickest tree canopies in the country and having lines and branches colliding with each other in even mild winds is pretty common.

By the time the power companies were trying to clear trees and trim branches people had somehow forgotten about what happened the previous year and were refusing to let the companies and state do any trimming because those were THEIR trees and no one was going to cut THEIR TREES! So Sandy comes in and the rural parts of the state were without power for a week or two and people complained yet again that the state/power companies needed to do something to keep this from happening. And again, newspaper articles and local TV stories about people fighting those entities on THEIR TREES are popping up in the spring.

The local utility here has a list you can sign up for free tree trimming that fills up almost instantly. It doesn't hold its place over the year, so Jan 1st it resets and starts over.
A neighbor with a large amount of trees near lines is going to learn a very expensive lesson in the near future if they don't get ahead of things at some point. They have basically undeveloped land and could just have every tree felled and not have to worry about clean up.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

I really hope my former employer who has lost all of his full time brewery staff calls me. Laughing at him until he hangs up would be too gratifying.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Lazyfire posted:

The year before Sandy hit the Northeast there was a massive freak snowstorm in October, still early enough in the season to have green leaves on a number of trees and caused a bunch of outages and damage. In the summer we got hit with Irene and had an even worse time where people were without power for over a month due to the number of downed trees. Everyone got mad at the government and the private companies that managed the power lines and so there was a big panel and report in Connecticut, which got hit incredibly hard, to determine what caused this and how to fix it before the next year. The number one recommendation was to go all out on tree removals as we had one of the thickest tree canopies in the country and having lines and branches colliding with each other in even mild winds is pretty common.

By the time the power companies were trying to clear trees and trim branches people had somehow forgotten about what happened the previous year and were refusing to let the companies and state do any trimming because those were THEIR trees and no one was going to cut THEIR TREES! So Sandy comes in and the rural parts of the state were without power for a week or two and people complained yet again that the state/power companies needed to do something to keep this from happening. And again, newspaper articles and local TV stories about people fighting those entities on THEIR TREES are popping up in the spring.

Sounds about right. Except the power utility in Austin (Austin Power) is owned by the City of Austin (and actually makes a modest profit that it pays back to the city every year) so they, the city council and the local news were able to coordinate banging on the drums. "The reason you were without power for so long was because you bitched left and right every time we came to trim your trees that we were mutilating them. We weren't we were doing necessary maintenance. Maintenance you fucks wouldn't let us do. So let us trim the loving trees, you absolute idiots, and we can avoid this in the future."

We'll see how long it lasts but all the tree maintenance contractors they had ended up with a year-long backlog of work last I checked. Because guess what: trees don't stop growing once you trim them once!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Lazyfire posted:

And again, newspaper articles and local TV stories about people fighting those entities on THEIR TREES are popping up in the spring.

Blow up the sun before we can escape the system imo

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Cyrano4747 posted:

And it's never, EVER not hilarious watching someone find out that regularly scheduled, routine work costs $totally_reasonable while emergency work that bumps the scheduled poo poo costs $HOLY_FUCK

Unless you're the person who has to do the emergency work on zero notice and given virtually zero resources. Signed, the brewer who once spent the first month at a new employer unfucking the boiler whose tubes had rusted out because nobody had maintained it for five years and the brewsystem wouldn't operate without it.

Escape From Noise posted:

I really hope my former employer who has lost all of his full time brewery staff calls me. Laughing at him until he hangs up would be too gratifying.

Also this.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
A sales rep sent me a long list of over 80 invoices she wishes to dispute.

Some are pathetically tiny; the smallest one is $6, total.

She screenshotted them from a spreadsheet, then put them as .png pictures in a Word document.

My head is going to explode.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Alkydere posted:

Sounds about right. Except the power utility in Austin (Austin Power) is owned by the City of Austin (and actually makes a modest profit that it pays back to the city every year) so they, the city council and the local news were able to coordinate banging on the drums. "The reason you were without power for so long was because you bitched left and right every time we came to trim your trees that we were mutilating them. We weren't we were doing necessary maintenance. Maintenance you fucks wouldn't let us do. So let us trim the loving trees, you absolute idiots, and we can avoid this in the future."

We'll see how long it lasts but all the tree maintenance contractors they had ended up with a year-long backlog of work last I checked. Because guess what: trees don't stop growing once you trim them once!

I loved having municipal power in my previous house. We moved in before Sandy and didn't even have the lights flicker while my parents went without power for a week. We went without power for a total of three hours in 11 years there, and most of that was because someone found a way to ram a ground transformer with their truck and the entire city was without power for a while.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Nah, I'll 100% talk to an old employer, even a lovely one, at least long enough to figure out what the call is for. If they want me to come in and un-gently caress something that they ignored in handover? I'm absolutely happy to come back in and unfuck their poo poo if they pay me. If I didn't like working there? And the boss was an rear end in a top hat? You better believe I'm quoting a higher rate than normal.

About two days after leaving one job I got a call from one of our technicians asking if I would be willing to be a remote contractor doing the same job for a few more weeks. I had spent a month pulling together work instructions, customer and vendor lists and sourcing options to make my replacement's job easier and in the last two weeks she had flown up to our office to sit with me all day every day, culminating with having her go through all the things I did to make sure she was ready to go. Despite all that I was told she just froze and left at noon saying she would try again tomorrow.

Due to some scheduling oddities with the new job I had two weeks free and said if they paid me $50 an hour and network access I would help them out. That was the last I heard from them because that company would rather lose tens of thousands of dollars in sales than spend any money, which is probably a factor in why that company isn't around anymore.

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.
Power Automate is loving dogshit.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Alkydere posted:

Sounds about right. Except the power utility in Austin (Austin Power) ... "So let us trim the loving trees, you absolute idiots, and we can avoid this in the future."

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

The greatest tragedy in Austin is when we were naming our dogshit new soccer team we didn't name them the "Powers"

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Lazyfire posted:

Due to some scheduling oddities with the new job I had two weeks free and said if they paid me $50 an hour and network access I would help them out. That was the last I heard from them because that company would rather lose tens of thousands of dollars in sales than spend any money, which is probably a factor in why that company isn't around anymore.

Yep. It's a common fantasy but I think it's mostly just a fantasy.
Plus even if they are desperate and somehow agree to $FUCK_YOU hourly rate, the manager or whomever probably doesn't actually have delegated financial authority, so won't be able to get a PO for you, and when you send them an invoice it's probably going to get ignored.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Chewbecca posted:

If an old employer was to call me (who I had a poo poo time with) you'd best believe I am not picking up the phone

If you don't pick up, how will you learn of their suffering?

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe

Thomamelas posted:

If you don't pick up, how will you learn of their suffering?

I got the best of both worlds. I got to tell my old boss yes, actually me walking her through the hour long process compiling six different spreadsheets and running reports off them, does fall outside the "incidental questions" that I stated I was available for two weeks post resignation.

...and I got all the real-time tea from my ex co-workers. "dude she's in her office crying what did you say to her???" "I told her no."

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

~Coxy posted:

so won't be able to get a PO for you, and when you send them an invoice it's probably going to get ignored.

Send them several invoices under $1000, a lot of places will just pay those without getting approval. Send it to Accounts Payable, not the manager in question. Hell, send them a $900 "retainer" invoice every quarter for beer money. That's probably legal in most US jurisdictions.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I remember at my first gig my boss locked herself in her office with bills we had to match in the system then cried for 8 hours in there. She then came out and dumped the stack on me and told me to sort it. Thanks for wasting a whole day I could have spent dealing with this poo poo.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Someone: "chewb, I need your help! It's critical you work back late and make yourself available to help me do [work thing]"
Me: "I can make myself available until 5.30pm, or at 8am tomorrow"
Them: <tumbleweeds>

It's now 5.15pm and I haven't heard poo poo from gently caress from this person lmao. I am sitting here scrolling the forums in an empty office.

Man, I don't get how people can monopolise your time and not even feel a bit bad about it

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Last week the woman in charge of asset management asked us to image about 30 computers for new hires starting this week. NBD, we set up a long table set up so we can image all those and still have stock for replacements. This week, she tells us that table has to get taken down because we're out of power supplies with USB-C connectors and the only ones left are used at that table and it'll take several weeks before we can get more. The well-meaning, but dumb and boomer-brained dude on our team (dude takes on way too much work constantly) had a mild panic attack trying to figure out what to do, the rest of us are just "OK, gently caress it."

Why?

We've been telling her for months we were running out of those power supplies and she's been delaying. First it was "Well, I want to see if there's a cheaper option" and now it's "Well, I have all these Dell credits I want to use and it takes a while." So gently caress it. She's in charge of asset management. The imaging table is in a room that is owned by her. Technically, even imaging is supposed to be her domain, we've been doing it as a courtesy to her. We've told her what we use those power supplies for - she's SEEN what we use them for - and wants to hamstring imaging? OK. Have fun.

She has like one other dude on her team who as far as I can tell only has one job - send us emails when a request for a PC ends up in our queue. He always puts "HOT TICKET" in the subject line, even when the ticket is for a new hire who doesn't start for a few weeks, and always copies the manager or person requesting the PC on the email. That means every one of these tickets that comes in result in about 6-10 more emails of back and forth between this dude and the requestor that we don't need. We asked him to stop doing both those things yesterday and he flipped out in a reply with "Are you suggesting I don't tell the users anything about their tickets?!"

No dude, we just don't need to be in on the conversation because some dingus insists on using Reply All.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
You should at least educate him about the BCC function.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

The entire reason he sends out the emails is because the computer janitors at other locations will sit on tickets for weeks. Whereas my team is like a school of piranhas and within minutes of a ticket hitting one of our queues, it's snatched up and we start working on it. Sometimes it even gets snatched by two people at once.

He apparently got talked down by someone because he sent us an email asking if we want him to send us further emails. No, bro, that's that the ticket queue is for.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Come to the imaging table in the next 15 minutes if I want an rear end kicking

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Cursed Teams or Slack messages:

"Do you know much about [complex topic or stressful thing]" - you just know they are about to dunk you in some hot bullshit, at 8am no less

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Chewbecca posted:

"Do you know much about [complex topic or stressful thing]" - you just know they are about to dunk you in some hot bullshit, at 8am no less

Yeah, that's a "No" even I'm the maintainer of the github repo.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I have a new electric transmission customer (electric generator) who wants to do a really dumb thing. The timing of some potential backup options are not great. I know this from previous experience. But my current position doesn’t give me the ability to say anything other than “This is very unlikely to happen”. So I reach out to some engineers who job it is to run studies of the transmission system to give me an official “Oh Hell No”.

They are busy, and tell me they will get back to me at the end of the week, but make the flaw of including their idiot manager in the email chain now. And of course, idiot manager sends an email last night that highlights that there is a potential conflict with a completely different project and adds the moron PM of that project. And idiot manager is now on vacation until next week.

So I got to spend the morning sending emails saying the quiet part out loud that I was trying to get official “Not gonna happen” out of the study engineers. I guess I was a little to quiet about that to try and leave some plausible deniability. But I really didn’t want this getting any more out of hand.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Chewbecca posted:

<Chrome dev tools, remove div>

Huh, I didn't get this message for some reason.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Dayshift made a combined days/nights teams chat and god forgive me, the Goatse temptation is strong.

YanniRotten
Apr 3, 2010

We're so pretty,
oh so pretty

Chewbecca posted:

I receive two types of Slack messages.

1) This type of message
2) No messages

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

TaurusTorus posted:

Dayshift made a combined days/nights teams chat and god forgive me, the Goatse temptation is strong.

Hey, I think you're doing the morning crew a favor here. Seeing the Goatman first thing in the morning will wake you up better than a cup of coffee!

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

In lighter news, I think the lady who assigns chambers to bays is sweet on my new lead.

The upside for me is today she let us dodge the bullet that is a chamber that failed every leak up in build but got pushed forward anyway.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I almost had to go into the cleanroom today. I was halfway to the gown room when I got a text that my assistance was no longer required.
Whew I dodged that bullet and went back to my desk to work on writing functional specs for some bullshit doohickey

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Goddamn last 30 minutes of the shift, desperately trying to ship a chamber, and everything grinds to a halt as our testing software thinks the system config file size is negative.

The gently caress is a negative size file?! I took this job cause it ain’t supposed to have this programming bullshit.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

TaurusTorus posted:

Goddamn last 30 minutes of the shift, desperately trying to ship a chamber, and everything grinds to a halt as our testing software thinks the system config file size is negative.

The gently caress is a negative size file?! I took this job cause it ain’t supposed to have this programming bullshit.

I know this isn't a tech support thread, but at a guess: It calls a function to check how big the file is before opening it, and that function uses negative numbers as error codes. The software does actually check that the size is reasonable (good), but isn't aware of the negative-means-error convention (boo).

Complete shot in the dark: Can you open it with notepad, or do you get a permission error or something like that?

Alternatively, it's returning the size as an unsigned number, but the program interprets it as signed, and the file is between 2 and 4 GB big. But I hope your config files are smaller than that. (In this case, please don't try opening it in notepad?)

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Apr 5, 2023

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Computer viking posted:

Complete shot in the dark: Can you open it with notepad, or do you get a permission error or something like that?

Yeah, I googled "Negative file size" after I lost the ship to dayshift. Tragically I'm not allowed to access that stuff.

I prefer to think I created the opposite of information, entropy.exe

edit: also the test software created a boolean for "file size" then divided that by 1000 and compared it to a valid size. I'm not sure why they did that, the test software is a towering pile of improvised spaghetti code.

TaurusTorus fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Apr 5, 2023

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

TaurusTorus posted:

Yeah, I googled "Negative file size" after I lost the ship to dayshift. Tragically I'm not allowed to access that stuff.

I prefer to think I created the opposite of information, entropy.exe

Right - at least I guess that makes it somebody else's problem for now?

In defense of whoever wrote the software, they did it with a budget, developer count, tester- and user-base of what, a millionth of what Chrome or Word has (hell, I bet the Awful android app has more users and more constructive feedback than most niche industry tools), and those still have the occasional weird failures.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
Boomer coworker came by for a chat. Great topics today. The Irish had it worse than slaves in the US. Also there were black slaveowners too.
Can't wait for my next trip with him.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Have I suggested getting him arrested for domestic terrorism yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Has anyone suggested abandoning him in an outer suburb shopping mall yet?