Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Log082 posted:

uh, that's clearly a tree borehole

the only borehole around here is your mouth

gottem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Can't mention Nutty Putty without actual footage of the Birth Canal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYEKhgFrpd4

nopenopenope

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

goddamn

never gonna recover from that one

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
That's wild, I can't believe how calm the trapped guy was.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
There's a bit in The Descent where they're going through a tunnel like that and it is by far the scariest part of a movie about getting lost in an underground cave complex full of atavistic cannibals.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Cavechat reminds me of Ted's Caving Page, maybe one of the original creepypasta stories that I still find effectively chilling even some years later.

Dude finds a cave with a narrow passage similar to the 'birth canal' in Nutty Putty Cave, keeps returning to it and gets further into it each trip. He describes some details past the narrow passage like an 'oddly-smooth rock' and I think some cave paintings, and then he hears a sound that he describes as between an animal growl and a human vocalization, and nopes out of there. He makes another post about mustering up the courage to return prepared to explore further, and then the last page is blank.

Mechanical Pencil
Feb 19, 2013

by vyelkin
Some kind of real time compact portable photogrammetry mapping system would be a boon!

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Caving seemed really cool to me when I thought caves were just like in video games, you just step through the wide mouth and then you can walk around and explore all the different and roomy corridors and caverns with your nice bigflashlight.

But apparently nine times out of ten you're just smushing your body between pointy rocks so you can get to the chokepoint where you smush yourself in another direction.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Ror posted:

Caving seemed really cool to me when I thought caves were just like in video games, you just step through the wide mouth and then you can walk around and explore all the different and roomy corridors and caverns with your nice bigflashlight.

But apparently nine times out of ten you're just smushing your body between pointy rocks so you can get to the chokepoint where you smush yourself in another direction.
If dragon age 2 has taught me anything, it's that all caves are different sections of the same cave map with different passages blocked off.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Clearly gray goo scenarios only happen on planets where the civ does a trans-whateverism, and they use their nanomachine bodies to explore ALL of their planet's nooks and crannies.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cnry3UbpS1s/

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I'm also remembering the story of that guy who fell head-first into a crevasse at some cave complex, got stuck, and slowly died because nobody could pull him out. I think they just poured concrete over his body.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

There's also Man in Cave.

What a good video

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I get lost in Deep Rock Galactic in seconds and that's got a sci-fi scanning device. gently caress real caves where I can't just pick axe my way to freedom

starkebn fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Apr 5, 2023

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Can't mention Nutty Putty without actual footage of the Birth Canal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYEKhgFrpd4

Christ what is wrong with people. I'm glad people make it back most of the time from caves, but on the non-insignificant chance you slip on another part of the cave and injure yourself, you're hosed. Or if a rock moves and whoops now you're hosed. You're so hosed if you had to crawl back through this with a broken leg or had any complication. Caves bad, I will stay out of the caves.

I do like how in part four one of the guys watches someone crawl back through the birth canal and ponders: "we are stupid people". Yes, yes you are but bless your sense of adventure.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Apr 5, 2023

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/ds0KLnL.mp4

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Sound improves the experience.

https://i.imgur.com/ryZo66W.mp4

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

There's also Man in Cave.

What a good video

Just about to post it. Original video got pulled for some reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6VN_hOzNaI

drat good video, but it will gently caress you up the first time you watch it.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

https://i.imgur.com/HIj2irY.mp4

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Glad to see life jackets!!

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Mustang posted:

The Portswood Hotel in Cape Town, South Africa did this too when they found an old prison well from the 1860's.

Wonder if the people in that house had been to that hotel before.

I've been to a hotel in Portsmouth, Brexitistan with one of these: the George Hotel. It's pretty cool.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Pixar's Transformers-Cars crossover is coming along nicely, I see.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Mister Speaker posted:

I'm also remembering the story of that guy who fell head-first into a crevasse at some cave complex, got stuck, and slowly died because nobody could pull him out. I think they just poured concrete over his body.

That's the Nutty Putty incident as mentioned upthread.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Look out everyone here come my posts!

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

EasilyConfused posted:

That's wild, I can't believe how calm the trapped guy was.

He was probably at the "acceptance" point in the 5 stages of grief by the time he was found

Man I wish they would do this at airshows more often

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Log082 posted:

uh, that's clearly a tree borehole

:emptyquote:

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Surely you could just like, turn the ship and those guys would be hosed? Unless the ship is having mechanical issues in calm waters, which sort of looks to be the case.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Poohs Packin posted:

Surely you could just like, turn the ship and those guys would be hosed? Unless the ship is having mechanical issues in calm waters, which sort of looks to be the case.

Ships like that have a turning radius similar to that of the horizon.

holtemon
May 2, 2019

Dancing is forbidden

Beachcomber posted:

So you're fine with the other kinds, then.

I just want one of these now, but they're gone forever.

Oh they're still kind of around with an upgrade lol

Blue Bunny for the win

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
https://i.imgur.com/SETKHTv.mp4

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

How does this happen so often? Get your poo poo together America!

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

It's a new TikTok fad or something. Film your truck getting crushed by a train.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

It happens because America is just freight colliding in an infinite chain reaction.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Beachcomber posted:

So you're fine with the other kinds, then.

I just want one of these now, but they're gone forever.

That's a cornetto

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Get your poo poo together America!

i have bad news for you about america.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Because there is a fuckton of rail freight and a fuckton of truck traffic and the US is so goddamn big that the odds are not terrible that this is going to happen...And it looks cool so when people see it they film and post it so there's an intrinsic bias...

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Also trains are the natural predators of semi-trucks.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Our poo poo is together. Have you seen this quarter's profits?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day