Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
It certainly explains why the 1000lb bomb on the J21-A3 is mounted on a really low pylon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I've been killed pursuing ground attackers who set their 1000lb-ers in a delayed fuse and getting caught in the blast.

Captain Stalin
May 11, 2004

Have no fear, the Captain is here!
I'm ashamed to say it, but after losing a bunch of matches in naval because no one thought to bring in coastal boats to sneak capture points, I was determined to grind a few patrol boats out and discovered that BR 1.0 - 3.0 for naval is literally just Blood Wake and is loving phenomenal to play. Now I have another tree I need to grind out.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
I've been playing a lot of coastal lately. Using small boats to relentlessly bully destroyers is a lot of fun.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

I've been playing a lot of coastal lately. Using small boats to relentlessly bully destroyers is a lot of fun.

Hell yeah. Comes with a relatively rare achievement as well.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

It's true. Depth charge kills are best kills.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Coastal boats is real good until you get higher tier and then it sucks because the second a moffet looks your way you die instantly.

Also it is criminal having a boat that goes max speed 20 km/h

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Madurai posted:

It's true. Depth charge kills are best kills.

Yes! No question of them dodging the fun barrels.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

George H.W. oval office posted:

Also it is criminal having a boat that goes max speed 20 km/h

The Soviet and Japanese river boats are so incredibly painful to use

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
I've been very fortunate in that my starting coastal coincided with the availability of a 3.0 battlepass boat that is great, a warbond store 2.7 torpedo boat that is great, and some low level katyusha tub I got during the Christmas event (I think). Because of that I've been blessedly able to refuse the use of those awful river boats that have no draught . In theory small armoured boats with tank turrets should be fun, but at best they hit one in three shots on the open water.

I feel sorry for my friend who is stuck in an endless succession of wooden Fairmile shitters.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

i've been playing the Japanese coastals and some of them are so painful its not even funny

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

CODChimera posted:

i've been playing the Japanese coastals and some of them are so painful its not even funny

Type T-38 is actually good. It's still delicate and slow but the 25mm rips apart other boats

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

I have a battle pass boat and it's fatally flawed because the 25mms can only shoot backwards. It's still one of the better ones

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Farecoal posted:

Type T-38 is actually good. It's still delicate and slow but the 25mm rips apart other boats

yeah I didn't mind that one, also the tier 1 premium seemed ridiculously op

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

CODChimera posted:

The Japanese coastals are pretty much garbage, thank goodness you can get into destroyers without grinding through them.

My favorite low-tier boat is the British MGB-61 at BR 1.7. You put API in the two twin 12.7mm mounts and light poo poo on fire while the AI murders other poo poo with the 40mm on the rear deck. I suck at WT and I've still gotten 10 kill missions using the 61 boat.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I swear that air RB just hates me. If I want to play Americans I get uptiered and die because I'm the only one who climbs. I play Germans or Italy and the teams are 5v5 and three of my allies are in JU288s. I play British and it's full mixed teams with at least three Ta-152s dropping from orbit.

I just want to find a fun battle rating where I'm not the only teammate trying to fly.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

If you are the only one climbing then you have to cut your climb short to be able to support your teammates and to be in position to be supported by them. Teamwork trumps the energy advantage every time, so unless you are in a squad where everyone is climbing it is not ok to ignore the rest of the team that's deciding to lawnmow.

SwissDonkey
Mar 29, 2007

YF-23 posted:

If you are the only one climbing then you have to cut your climb short to be able to support your teammates and to be in position to be supported by them. Teamwork trumps the energy advantage every time, so unless you are in a squad where everyone is climbing it is not ok to ignore the rest of the team that's deciding to lawnmow.

gently caress I needed to hear this. I've been having a hard time in RB 3.3-3.7 but I've also been climbing to a decent altitude regardless of what the rest of my team is doing to try and zoom and boom but I keep getting my rear end handed to me on the exit. What's the best way to deal with your team keeping low while the enemy team climbs?

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

SwissDonkey posted:

gently caress I needed to hear this. I've been having a hard time in RB 3.3-3.7 but I've also been climbing to a decent altitude regardless of what the rest of my team is doing to try and zoom and boom but I keep getting my rear end handed to me on the exit. What's the best way to deal with your team keeping low while the enemy team climbs?

All chat “CLIMB YOU FOOLS”

Otherwise try to hang a bit above them to cover their asses when the German UFO planes inevitably swoop down on them

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

SwissDonkey posted:

What's the best way to deal with your team keeping low while the enemy team climbs?

Play as Germany.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

SwissDonkey posted:

Play 10.3 so you can easily swoop onto the deck when your team gets engaged!
Serious answer: You need to keep in mind how many players are actually on the team. If 80% of the enemy team dives onto your lawnmowers, then that just became the decisive furball of the game. Sure it might be nice to stay up high and maybe BnZ some of the space climbers that are left, but it's way more important to kill some enemies in that engagement at ground level. At times I have quite literally just counted how many marked enemies I can see below me.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

SwissDonkey posted:

At that tier, I'd probably stick to around 3km altitude max and just dive at the first enemy attacker I have a good angle on, or any low-flying enemy fighters that might be trying to engage my team. This is a bit of a soft counter to enemy climbing: if someone's climbed to 6km altitude, but there's no enemy to dive on at 4km because everyone's on the deck, a whole lot of that built up energy advantage has been wasted. They will still be in a superior position but there is a cap to how much of an advantage they get, and the resources spent widening that gap past that cap have been a waste. And maybe you won't win that game but you'll probably have a better time of it than if you were the only person climbing and just got wasted without getting to do anything.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

SwissDonkey posted:

Before you boom, make sure your zoom will have you heading towards allies. Most players can't resist a head on so if someone's chasing you stay low and fast headed straight at your nearest oncoming ally. Try to keep track of which planes are faster than you at your current tier. Knowing who's most likely to go after you can help with target selection.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

The talk about the current topic reminds of the old days where queuing for air battles as British meant you had a 90% chance of going up against Americans over Hokkaido.

Where the American fighters would promptly get annihilated by the brits, after which said Brits would suffer heavy losses from the B-17’s turbo-laser batteries when dealing with the bombers that hadn’t flown off onto space.

Every single time.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
So I'm slowly getting better at playing France at the 7.3 BR (usually uptiered to 8.3, natch) and it turns out that I did well in BRs 1-5.7 simply because the enemies are even more braindead than I am and now I gotta actually play well.

One thing I learned is to always have a plan B in case I miss, my shot doesn't penetrate or I don't kill the enemy gunner in the first shot, so I stopped shooting from wide open fields which improved my gameplay... considerably.

Are there any easier resources for learning weak spots of the Soviet, American and German tanks around that tier? I have to admit all the cold war tanks look quite similar (due to me not being as well versed in them as WW2 tanks) and generally speaking the heavy Soviet and American tanks are the ones that surprise me when my Somua SM can't pen them from the front. I tried playing around in the armour analysis tool but it's a pain to go through every single tank in every tree one by one to try and see where my SM and my AMX M4 can pen from the front (and for an unnerving amount of American and Soviet tanks, the answer is: "nowhere")

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Deltasquid posted:

So I'm slowly getting better at playing France at the 7.3 BR (usually uptiered to 8.3, natch) and it turns out that I did well in BRs 1-5.7 simply because the enemies are even more braindead than I am and now I gotta actually play well.

One thing I learned is to always have a plan B in case I miss, my shot doesn't penetrate or I don't kill the enemy gunner in the first shot, so I stopped shooting from wide open fields which improved my gameplay... considerably.

Are there any easier resources for learning weak spots of the Soviet, American and German tanks around that tier? I have to admit all the cold war tanks look quite similar (due to me not being as well versed in them as WW2 tanks) and generally speaking the heavy Soviet and American tanks are the ones that surprise me when my Somua SM can't pen them from the front. I tried playing around in the armour analysis tool but it's a pain to go through every single tank in every tree one by one to try and see where my SM and my AMX M4 can pen from the front (and for an unnerving amount of American and Soviet tanks, the answer is: "nowhere")

This is where the post war MBTs begin to appear and where designers had a better idea of what to armour/not to armour. So typically upper front plates, mantlets and turret fronts are generally very well protected at the expense of armour elsewhere. Except the Germans who took a look at the enormous big cats they were producing before and decided to just slap the biggest gun and the biggest engine they had together.

So if you have to engage from the front you’re looking at lower front plates, cupolas and often the amour under the gun at the front of the turret. Ideally you want to be flanking, and when doing so the lower centre of the tank is always a good place to shoot, especially with Soviet tanks.

BR 7.3+ feels very much like a binary choice where either your gun has no hope of destroying an enemy frontally or will cleave through it like a hot knife through butter as if the armour wasn’t even there.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I swear some bombers are so tough. Im positive its how bad a shot I am but goddamn that one PB whatsit can shrug off hits

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Yeah, against some of the bigger bombers you really need to pick your shots, which can be tricky if they're maneuvering and you're trying to avoid turrets. Unless you got a really fat gun (30mm+) or can get a frontal shot at the cockpit, usually your best bet is to avoid targeting the fuselage. Instead, focus on the engines and the fuel tanks (usually in the root of the wings). If you're lucky or got enough firepower you may get a wing break, and if not you still got solid odds at causing a fire, engine failure, or destroyed ailerons.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
I love the LVKV-42. It's the best AA gun.

I just sat on the point and let the whole enemy team come trundling into view.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Whole team imploded and I was the only one who had any kills. Took off and headon killed a Mig-17 close to the airfield. Then this

Thanks snail

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Oh yeah that happened to me in a F-4E recently. I was dogfighting something, maybe a Mig-23, I can’t remember, but I got my nose up to get a lock and then blipped out of existence. I thought, “Oh, I wasn’t really paying attention to anyone else around me. Serves me right I guess.” And then I noticed who was credited with the kill…

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
If it flies, it dies, first to fire, etc.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLbvayxf4vw

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Ok listen.

French bombers are bad.

Edit: To be clear i dont mean the little cutie frontline one. I mean the big barn boys.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
The push-pull engine pods are great though

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I just don't understand the number of players who dive off the jump and go ground level. not even a slight climb directly into the fight?

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

Sometimes you want to feel the speed and the best way to do that is to smash into a sanddune because you're at 15 meters above sea level going 450 km/h.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Famethrowa posted:

I just don't understand the number of players who dive off the jump and go ground level. not even a slight climb directly into the fight?

Climbing slows you down, diving speeds you up!!

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

lmao, of course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10KI3frs28I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Stalin
May 11, 2004

Have no fear, the Captain is here!
Both F8s are going down to 10.0; and I gotta hop back into those two planes. They were easily 2 of the best at 10.3, and at 10.0, outside of the match making gravity of most of the new premiums, they'll be kings.

Lotta good BR changes for air actually, they're even creeping up the Su-25s. Slowly, but at least they're doing it.