Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

stev posted:

Yeah, part of the point was to see how silly they'd look without any music. I think it worked for some but not others.

I feel like maybe they were expecting more of a reaction from the contestants being surprised by the lack of music but none of them really commented on it. I do feel like it was an odd one to start with, it might have worked better later in the series when they'd settled into their roles a bit more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
the point of the dancing task is to show us kiell can do the worm, and that alex is a worm

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
I thought the dancing task was brilliant and that the lack of music was the best part. They've already done a "dance to royalty free music" task before (the ringtones), which was pretty good, and I thought this was a fun way to differentiate from that. That said, I thought that the "wedding" aspect didn't really play into the task as much as I'd hoped.

I think the Barge task was one that if I read on paper without seeing how it went I would have predicted was going to be boring to watch. Mostly because it's so straightforward with very little room for clever interpretation. In reality, it went a lot better than I expected, mostly because I didn't expect people to crash so often. If I had been participating I feel I would have been going a lot slower and more carefully, mostly because I am a coward who would be afraid to be responsible for crashing the boat.

String task was fine. I always think tasks that are on the back of the paper are a bit odd as a concept, especially since this one was worded as two different tasks. I expected two sets of points, 1-5 for task 1 and 1-5 for task 2 but it seems like they combined them. I really liked some of the workarounds though. Cutting the string to make a smaller but still neat ball was nice, and I wouldn't have thought of it.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Superrodan posted:

I thought the dancing task was brilliant and that the lack of music was the best part. They've already done a "dance to royalty free music" task before (the ringtones), which was pretty good, and I thought this was a fun way to differentiate from that. That said, I thought that the "wedding" aspect didn't really play into the task as much as I'd hoped.

I think the Barge task was one that if I read on paper without seeing how it went I would have predicted was going to be boring to watch. Mostly because it's so straightforward with very little room for clever interpretation. In reality, it went a lot better than I expected, mostly because I didn't expect people to crash so often. If I had been participating I feel I would have been going a lot slower and more carefully, mostly because I am a coward who would be afraid to be responsible for crashing the boat.

String task was fine. I always think tasks that are on the back of the paper are a bit odd as a concept, especially since this one was worded as two different tasks. I expected two sets of points, 1-5 for task 1 and 1-5 for task 2 but it seems like they combined them. I really liked some of the workarounds though. Cutting the string to make a smaller but still neat ball was nice, and I wouldn't have thought of it.

IMO task on back is no different than the 2nd envelope tasks, other than the fact that it’s slightly more fair because they have a chance at noticing it.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
I do think this is the first hidden / two-parter task where the second part was "actually just don't". Closest I can remember is S3's "pop all the balloons" with the hidden "actually just pop three" in morse code.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

I loved the fact that the drawers only had a few handles to make it even more quick to find the inevitable second one. But honestly my favourite thing was the cutting of the yarn to make a smaller but equally valid neat ball.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Some Strange Flea posted:

I do think this is the first hidden / two-parter task where the second part was "actually just don't".

I didn't interpret it that way... I just interpreted the task as two parts that they could do in any order, and one order would be a lot easier than the other. Am I the only one that read it that way?

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I think that may have come into play if someone saw the back of the task first, but everyone unwounded the string immediately. Maybe they mentioned it in the recording, but I'd rather they cut that for another permutation of Frankie's running time tally.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

You could make an argument that anyone who read both sides first, did nothing and left the initial ball on the cushion did not "put" a ball on the cushion

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
the dancing task was good because of all the heavy breathing

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Really enjoying Taskmaster AU. I think I might prefer Tom Gleeson to the NZ Taskmaster Jeremy Wells, and Lesser Tom is also pretty good but my ideal mashup would be Tom Gleeson and Paul Williams.
Paul has to be my absolute favourite assistant so far, and having cooled off on OG Greg Davies in the last few seasons, I think Gleeson is shaping up to be one of my favourites. Much prefer his scoring and brutal quips that remind me of early Greg.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Gleeson and Paul would be a fantastic combo, and I’d love to see it.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
Thinking about the weird countermanding of the original ball of string task, was wondering if you could rewrite the back along the lines of
pre:
OR

You may leave the ball ravelled up, your choice.

Then place a neatly-wound ball on this cushion, fastest wins.
To me that seems like a cleaner way of undoing the front of the task. But it's hard to do that and also have the part about saying Alex's name, because that would come between the instruction and the "OR". Maybe sometime like
pre:
OR

Leave the ball ravelled up.
Your time started when you entered the room

After choosing, place a neatly-wound ball on this cushion, fastest wins.
So the timing mechanism becomes part of the choice, and the task reads correctly.

Heavy_D fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Apr 4, 2023

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

Gleeson and Paul would be a fantastic combo, and I’d love to see it.

Yea I think Paul strikes the perfect tone for me. Might be because I'm also a kiwi and that sort of deadpan humour is like a warm comforter to me.
Cashman is funny and pretty good, but doesn't offer the same sort of cheeky underdog vibe that I've gotten used to with Paul and Alex

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

If they were characters in books or something I'd say Cashman is less of a sycophant and more someone who has his own motivations for doing the weird poo poo he's doing. Alex and Paul do the tasks because they work for their Taskmaster, Cashman works for the Taskmaster because he enjoys the work.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Phigs posted:

If they were characters in books or something I'd say Cashman is less of a sycophant and more someone who has his own motivations for doing the weird poo poo he's doing. Alex and Paul do the tasks because they work for their Taskmaster, Cashman works for the Taskmaster because he enjoys the work.

i like Cashman's perverse enthusiasm for the tasks, it works very naturally

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Cashman sort of seems like a little boy who's been given authority by his dad for the first time, and he's enjoying it immensely.

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

Cashman is a mischievous imp and I enjoy the vibe. I also like Paul's hang-dog demeanor, and Alex's sincere enthusiasm (which is then crushed). They are all great.

Big Tom has been a delight. I don't mind Jeremy as much as others seem to, but Gleeson is just so happy to be an rear end in a top hat when necessary and leans into having his authoritative whims catered to in a way that Jeremy seems uncomfortable with.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Heavy_D posted:

Thinking about the weird countermanding of the original ball of string task, was wondering if you could rewrite the back along the lines of
pre:
OR

You may leave the ball ravelled up, your choice.

Then place a neatly-wound ball on this cushion, fastest wins.
To me that seems like a cleaner way of undoing the front of the task. But it's hard to do that and also have the part about saying Alex's name, because that would come between the instruction and the "OR". Maybe sometime like
pre:
OR

Leave the ball ravelled up.
Your time started when you entered the room

After choosing, place a neatly-wound ball on this cushion, fastest wins.
So the timing mechanism becomes part of the choice, and the task reads correctly.

Why does the task need to be rewritten?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I think the suggestion is that the back should explicitly say “ignore the front” not provide conflicting task instructions.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
TM does have a long history of secret instructions and second-part-tasks, but I agree the way the string one was setup felt unusually capricious. It ended up feeling like the main task was just a fake and hidden task was the real one, without proper signposting for the contestant.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Disregard this task. Your time starts now.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Metis of the Hallway posted:

Cashman sort of seems like a little boy who's been given authority by his dad for the first time, and he's enjoying it immensely.

Since the fateful night he had a dream about spying on his friends...

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
I’m on board if this is accurate.

The front not having a, “Fastest wins” or similar implies that it’s incomplete, i my humble o.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Pablo Bluth posted:

TM does have a long history of secret instructions and second-part-tasks, but I agree the way the string one was setup felt unusually capricious. It ended up feeling like the main task was just a fake and hidden task was the real one, without proper signposting for the contestant.

that every contestant doesn't by default check under the table, look at back of task, or otherwise look around for a secret is ludicrous to me. alex was also very suspicious when he was asking them "are you sure" when they claimed to be done. Task doesn't need to be written, at worst it affords an opportunity for entertainment and some attempt to rules-lawyer greg in the studio.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I expect the ones that have watched the show a bunch probably do it a bit, there's definitely been a few contestants we've seen doing little checks like that but I bet more do it than that and they just don't show it every time. Either way though, you'd get bored of doing it when it doesn't pay off the first however many times or forget a lot as well. Or you get the task in the yard of the house or whatever and then what are you gonna do, look around the entire front yard and under the caravan and stuff?

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
First episode felt... just really flat. Really strange choice to open the series with that dud of a task.

Hoping Jenny and Ivo turn out to be the agents of chaos I crave.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Khanstant posted:

that every contestant doesn't by default check under the table, look at back of task, or otherwise look around for a secret is ludicrous to me. alex was also very suspicious when he was asking them "are you sure" when they claimed to be done. Task doesn't need to be written, at worst it affords an opportunity for entertainment and some attempt to rules-lawyer greg in the studio.

Sarah checked the front of the table every single time and all it got her was a cute call-out, I can't blame even the biggest fans for not always checking the back.

I do think there's a series of things that a contestant could do to guard against trickier tasks and the like (that would promptly be forgotten because you're filming like 12 hours a day or whatever):

1. Imagine if that current task had a second part, what it would be.
2. If the wording on the task is incomplete, there's a second part.
3. Check the back of the task.
4. Check the areas where the camera can see but you can't.
5. Pay attention to where the cameras are pointed.
6. If Alex asks you if you're finished, you're not finished.
7. Doing all of the above might win you points but will make you insufferable.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Yeah, after filming 3 other tasks on the day, I doubt many people would still have the mental fortitude needed to go through the checklist. I suspect CoC contestants have a better chance of remembering this stuff, but I don't think there was any perceptible difference in how difficult CoC tasks were for them. After all, it's just a bit of fun, very few people are super competitive to that extent.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Was this the thread that complained about tasks being overwritten to catch workarounds and about Dara being too good at metagaming the tasks to be funny? :v:

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Paladinus posted:

Yeah, after filming 3 other tasks on the day, I doubt many people would still have the mental fortitude needed to go through the checklist. I suspect CoC contestants have a better chance of remembering this stuff, but I don't think there was any perceptible difference in how difficult CoC tasks were for them. After all, it's just a bit of fun, very few people are super competitive to that extent.

It's this, but more than 3 I'd suspect.

Also in the vein of all good panel shows, the point isn't to "win".

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pablo Bluth posted:

Yeah I think this one doesn't quite work as well as others because usually the "one task plus hidden second task" does still score you on the initial task, rather than telling you to straight up ignore it. Often the fun in those two-parters is how the tasks inevitably conflict (which they did still do here) so that doing the obvious one first makes the hidden one harder. I think it did largely work out for them in that nobody found the hidden task before going nuts on the primary task, but I feel like the primary task should still have counted for something.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
I guess its equivalent to a task worded like "Do a small dance for Alex. Then sit in the chair in the most unusual way. Also, you must be wearing a red coat. You do not have to do a small dance for Alex. Most unusual sit wins". It technically makes sense, but I'd still find myself questioning if I should do the dance or not, or why it was even written there in the first place.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

The task made the contestants do exactly what Alex wanted them to do, therefore it was worded perfectly.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

We can argue about how it should be worded/scored but we got "How you could you do this to me? How could anyone do this?" so A+ no notes.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I loved the “time starts when you say Alex’s name” mixed with the hard to find second part of the task.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

They should do a task that is ultimately fairly simple but put emphasis on making absolutely sure you have completed all of the requirements of the task and have Alex do his are you sure bit when they say they're done. And when they say they're done again have him do that infuriating "hmm" he does. Just really mess with their heads. Especially if it comes sometime after that back of the task trick.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Phigs posted:

They should do a task that is ultimately fairly simple but put emphasis on making absolutely sure you have completed all of the requirements of the task and have Alex do his are you sure bit when they say they're done. And when they say they're done again have him do that infuriating "hmm" he does. Just really mess with their heads. Especially if it comes sometime after that back of the task trick.

Just have him say after "are you sure", "So you're ready for me to stop the clock then?"

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Phigs posted:

I feel like that was s12's ring the bell task. Poor ol' goosebump arm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Kaiho posted:

It's this, but more than 3 I'd suspect.

Also in the vein of all good panel shows, the point isn't to "win".

Well I wasn't bringing it up so much to play to win as play to beat Alex at his own little twisted subgames