Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
Knodl's back in the lead with 87% of the vote in according to the NY Times. He's ahead by 720 votes. I have no idea what this district is like and am counting on Twitter strangers I don't know whether hope is now gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
That Medicare thing: That’s a junk ballot. That’s already an implemented policy in Wisconsin.

https://twitter.com/bruneelections/status/1643434957036036097?s=46&t=xjoX4EYhjjJHLNhbe-XLBA

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Eric Cantonese posted:

The NY Times seems to be racheting back the percentage of votes counted for Sinykin. I can't tell if that's a good or bad sign.

Bad

https://mobile.twitter.com/BruneElections/status/1643434957036036097

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Chicago: Dave Wasserman says the line....
https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/1643432466022006784?s=20

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

https://twitter.com/IPreferPi314/status/1643442184870596613

Is this true? I don't feel like looking it up.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

No, I think they need a supermajority in congress as well.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Lmao

The party of small government:

"If the person we don't like is elected by the people it just doesn't count"

Every GOP political in Wisconsin should just fall off a cliff

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Apr 5, 2023

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Automata 10 Pack posted:

No, I think they need a supermajority in congress as well.

From what I could tell before running out of gas, a supermajority in both houses lets you override governor vetoes. I believe you only need a supermajority in the senate for an impeachment, but it's up for legal debate (for now) whether judges are impeachable under Wisconsin law.

EDIT:

Looks like Sinykin couldn't quite pull it off. That's hell of a Gerrymander the GOP has.
https://twitter.com/elium2/status/1643445452451241984
https://twitter.com/elium2/status/1643445682534072320

I don't know if this guy is super reliable, but it seems to make sense. Others seem to be confirming the same point.

https://twitter.com/NapervillePol/status/1643444798358003713

Eric Cantonese fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Apr 5, 2023

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

Eric Cantonese posted:

From what I could tell before running out of gas, a supermajority in both houses lets you override governor vetoes. I believe you only need a supermajority in the senate for an impeachment, but it's up for legal debate (for now) whether judges are impeachable under Wisconsin law.

EDIT:

Looks like Sinykin couldn't quite pull it off. That's hell of a Gerrymander the GOP has.
https://twitter.com/elium2/status/1643445452451241984
https://twitter.com/elium2/status/1643445682534072320

I don't know if this guy is super reliable, but it seems to make sense. Others seem to be confirming the same point.

https://twitter.com/NapervillePol/status/1643444798358003713

I am a random goon who lives in Milwaukee and I have come to the same conclusion from looking at the Milwaukee and Waukesha county clerk sites and comparing them to past election results. I looked up those two Milwaukee wards and they only contain industrial/commercial buildings. River Hills went roughly 700/500 Evers/Michels last year, and the places in Waukesha county are all very red.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I can't believe Johnson won despite the entire Democratic Party in Illinois throwing in for the fake Democrat

gently caress off Paul and Lori

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Young Freud posted:

Apparently, Vallas hired BAGPIPERS to play to his election party.
https://twitter.com/brandon_dupre_/status/1643430605483302919?s=20

I mean given that the one bagpipe song everyone knows is Amazing Grace it seems entirely appropriate

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Dr. Mantis Toboggan posted:

I am a random goon who lives in Milwaukee and I have come to the same conclusion from looking at the Milwaukee and Waukesha county clerk sites and comparing them to past election results. I looked up those two Milwaukee wards and they only contain industrial/commercial buildings. River Hills went roughly 700/500 Evers/Michels last year, and the places in Waukesha county are all very red.

It looks like it'll be recount territory. Is it worthwhile for Sinykin to pay for that recount?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Nail Rat posted:

I can't believe Johnson won despite the entire Democratic Party in Illinois throwing in for the fake Democrat

gently caress off Paul and Lori

JB sat it out at least

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I've read as much of the rules of removing judges in that state as I can stomach for a layperson and you need substantial cause for the occasion. It's not going to be as straight forward as it's been presented by some twitterers as getting the gang together and asserting a vote and that's that.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
https://twitter.com/therecount/status/1643442166214033409

I guess we're doing this every time now

edit: "we can have the rule of law or the rule of Janet, and the people of Wisconsin have chosen the rule of Janet" :laffo:

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
I was bewildered if not frustrated that of all days (for reasons based both on this threads history and what people are talking about out here), when I checked in for explanations and different takes on felony charges I found people arguing about cheese and dairy.

But I came to love it even before I reached the state election watch discussion. Unironic lol and ataboy.

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

Dr. Mantis Toboggan posted:

The last of the Milwaukee county results are in, and they went +175 for Jodi. The only remaining votes left are in Waukesha county, so yeah, I'd expect to see this one called for the Rs any moment now.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

I guess the story in Wisconsin is going to be all about potential impeachment now. I wonder if the GOP has enough political vulnerability (or if there's enough hesitancy within their faction on the current Supreme Court) not to do it.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Shammypants posted:

I've read as much of the rules of removing judges in that state as I can stomach for a layperson and you need substantial cause for the occasion. It's not going to be as straight forward as it's been presented by some twitterers as getting the gang together and asserting a vote and that's that.

I think it's sort of a "who's going to stop" them situation. Like what's happening in Tenessee.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

James Garfield posted:

https://twitter.com/therecount/status/1643442166214033409

I guess we're doing this every time now

edit: "we can have the rule of law or the rule of Janet, and the people of Wisconsin have chosen the rule of Janet" :laffo:

Woof, this is not a guy you'd want in charge of anything

cunningham
Jul 28, 2004
WOW goon here. O, specifically.

We are historically the 3 conservative counties surrounding the very-liberal Milwaukee. Our state Rep is Glenn Grothman, who is ridiculously conservative (and, his mom, who is somehow still alive, lives up the street from us!).

That said, looking at the results from WOW, seeing the Ozaukee numbers being that close tracks with 1) trends from the last few presidential elections that shifted us from beet-red to purple, and 2) yard signs (I know, I know...) that are just about 1:1 liberal:conservative.

What is pushing the needle is, surprisingly, age: Ozaukee is "old money", with families that moved here 50 years ago and never left now leaving/dying and young families are moving in. This means the fiscal conservative "protect the nest egg we are saving up for the kids" types are being replaced with younger, more socially conscious Young-Xers/Millennials. This has sparked a lot of cultural controversy around here, including an innocuous "love is universal" mural getting painted over by a crusty old superintendent: https://www.wisn.com/article/grafton-business-to-recreate-mural-painted-by-students-covered-by-district/37296798

For the District 8 race, Knodl was always likely to win because Washington County continues to be Full of Shitheads, but Ozaukee being "slightly less shithead" is encouraging. Catching up on the thread, River Hills is in Milwaukee County and is full of ridiculous wealth. Habush Sinykin is also really rich - she is an attorney who worked for the firm of Habush, Habush, and Rottier, who advertise constantly on TV - so River Hills going for her isn't unexpected.

Here in Mequon-Thiensville, all eyes were on the school board race. Last year, M-T was engulfed in a recall election (https://www.tmj4.com/news/coronavirus/four-mequon-thiensville-school-board-members-to-face-recall-election) that really divided the district (the original board members all got re-elected). This year, there were 4 candidates for 2 slots, 2 of the candidates were out-and-out Recall supporters. Very fortunately, the two "liberal" candidates won! https://www.gmtoday.com/news_graphi...3abeeb92ec.html I'm seeing that the more liberal candidates won in Cedarburg, too, so that's also good news.

Give it another couple cycles and the WOW counties will just be WW. Mark my words.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

I’m waiting for the one weird trick the WISGOP will do this time to strip power. Maybe use the SCOTUS to strip the State Supreme Court from doing anything?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Ither posted:

I have no idea why my fellow Americans are so obsessed with cheese.

When ordering food, I always have to say "no cheese" because its addition is the default for many things.

Who's bright idea was to corrupt salads, burgers, and chili?

A fun lil fact: When McDonalds was trying out a plant-based burger, in the UK you'd just order it and it'd be vegan, simple as that. But in the US it wouldn't unless you specifically asked for no cheese, since the dairy industry pressured McDonalds into having that be a default topping for that burger.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Srice posted:

A fun lil fact: When McDonalds was trying out a plant-based burger, in the UK you'd just order it and it'd be vegan, simple as that. But in the US it wouldn't unless you specifically asked for no cheese, since the dairy industry pressured McDonalds into having that be a default topping for that burger.

To be fair Americans will eat anything if you cover it in cheese.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Srice posted:

Do you have a source on this? I'm curious about the entity and mechanism of pressure.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

Do you have a source on this? I'm curious about the entity and mechanism of pressure.

It was something I saw last year but I'm afraid I can't find the article I saw it in.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Did the american dairy industry and nasty diet also make McDonald’s do the same in Canada, Australia, and for a random pick, Switzerland?

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
that's got shades of the Margarine Wars and doing things like forcing margarine to be dyed pink to protect dairy

Artonos
Dec 3, 2018

Automata 10 Pack posted:

I’m waiting for the one weird trick the WISGOP will do this time to strip power. Maybe use the SCOTUS to strip the State Supreme Court from doing anything?

I kinda am too. The current supreme court stays in place until August 1 I believe.

Knodl was always likely to win. But this very well could be his only term. Just like Ozaukee, other outer burbs of Milwaukee are moderating and non-gerrymandered maps are going to really spread some blue around Milwaukee.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Kavros posted:

that's got shades of the Margarine Wars and doing things like forcing margarine to be dyed pink to protect dairy

That was state law, though- unlikely to be applicable here. My understanding was the domestic McPlant launch failed (and, in theory, have been set up to fail) due to poor test market selection, and the use of mayo and standard cheese may have been a matter of initial customer expectation projections (or further sabotage).

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Did the american dairy industry and nasty diet also make McDonald’s do the same in Canada, Australia, and for a random pick, Switzerland?
I wouldn't be surprised if America sets the standard for how McDonalds decides their menu in multiple countries. There does seem to be some region-to-region adjustments, but I'm under the impression a lot of these fast food places are known for trying to make their product very consistent.

That said I'm a little skeptical it was pressure from the dairy market alone (though I wouldn't be surprised if the Canadian dairy market itself also created pressure) because the new wave plant based burgers seem to be more about the novelty of meat alternatives rather then a targeted vegan option. (As well, I imagine vegetarian is a bigger demo then vegan) so cheese off by default would be off-expectations.

Unless we're talking about an earlier iteration of veggie burgers?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

While retail food chains do try to standardize as much as possible, it's usually not as much the case between the US and other countries, and especially between US and EU, since the associated supply chain efficiencies are less present (and regulatory requirements are different).

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Eric Cantonese posted:

I guess the story in Wisconsin is going to be all about potential impeachment now. I wonder if the GOP has enough political vulnerability (or if there's enough hesitancy within their faction on the current Supreme Court) not to do it.

The problem is the governor can appoint a replacement judge even if they do impeach Janet. What are the Republicans going to do, impeach Evers? If they do, the lieutenant governor steps in. If they impeact the LtGov, the secretary of state steps in. Are they gonna impeach the SoS too?

Going full force on impeachment requires not only unanimous commitment but to also basically burn down the entire government. We'd see civil unrest.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
According to my family who still live in West Bend (Grothman’s home city) they managed to elect the not-shitheads to the local school board. So that’s something nice at least.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Impossible whoppers don’t come with cheese by default, and they do come with mayo, so they’re not even vegan, and still you have to ask for cheese. I guess the all powerful cheese lobby’s influence doesn’t spread to them for some reason.

It seems likely McD’s just included cheese because their market research indicated they would sell more that way, but I’d be interested in seeing more info it anybody can dig it up.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

I am not being ironic when I say bribery and threats would be acceptable to keep that from happening.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I think regular Whoppers also don't come with cheese, so that's just the item being consistent.

The Impossible Whopper has been chugging along just fine for what has to be at least over a year now, if McDonalds couldn't make the McPlant work it's almost certainly because they didn't want it to.

McDonalds puts cheese on its fish sandwich, the McPlant was never not getting cheese.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
This is the third major study in the last year that analyzed 40 years of data and determined that any amount of alcohol is harmful to your health.

There are also not health benefits to drinking a moderate amount of red wine or beer, contrary to many popular assumptions.

Additionally, their findings were similar to others conducted by the WHO and the World Heart Federation that determined that even consuming 2 drinks per week has negative health impacts.

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1643538978014986240

quote:

Moderate Drinking Has No Health Benefits, Analysis of Decades of Research Finds

For decades, scientific studies suggested moderate drinking was better for most people’s health than not drinking at all, and could even help them live longer.

A new analysis of more than 40 years of research has concluded that many of those studies were flawed and that the opposite is true.

The review found that the risks of dying prematurely increase significantly for women once they drink 25 grams of alcohol a day, which is less than two standard cocktails containing 1.5 ounces of distilled spirits, two 12-ounce beers or two 5-ounce glasses of wine. The risks to men increase significantly at 45 grams of alcohol a day, or just over three drinks.

The new report, which analyzed more than 100 studies of almost five million adults, was not designed to develop drinking recommendations, but to correct for methodological problems that plagued many of the older observational studies. Those reports consistently found that moderate drinkers were less likely to die of all causes, including those not related to alcohol consumption.

Most of those studies were observational, meaning they could identify links or associations but they could be misleading and did not prove cause and effect. Scientists said that the older studies failed to recognize that light and moderate drinkers had myriad other healthy habits and advantages, and that the abstainers used as a comparison group often included former drinkers who had given up alcohol after developing health problems.

“When you compare this unhealthy group to those who go on drinking, it makes the current drinkers look more healthy and like they have lower mortality,” said Tim Stockwell, a scientist with the Canadian Institute for Substance Use Research who was one of the authors of the new report, which was published in JAMA Network Open last week.

Once Dr. Stockwell and his colleagues corrected for these errors and others, he said, “Lo and behold, the supposed health benefits of drinking shrink dramatically, and become non-statistically significant.”

Dr. Stockwell said that the comparisons of moderate drinkers with non-drinkers were flawed for numerous reasons. People who abstain completely from alcohol are a minority, and those who aren’t teetotalers for religious reasons are more likely to have chronic health problems, to have a disability or to be from lower income backgrounds.

Moderate drinkers tend to be moderate in all ways. They tend to be wealthier, are more likely to exercise and to eat a healthy diet, and are less likely to be overweight. They even have better teeth, scientists say.

“They have a lot of things going for them that protect their health, that have nothing to do with their alcohol use,” Dr. Stockwell said.

The idea that moderate drinking may be beneficial dates back to 1924, when a Johns Hopkins biologist named Raymond Pearl published a graph with a J-shaped curve, the low point in the middle representing the moderate drinkers, who had the lowest rates of mortality from all causes.

The high point in the J represented the well-known risks of heavy alcohol consumption, such as liver disease and car crashes. The hook on the left represented abstainers.

In more recent decades, wine — and particularly red wine — developed a reputation for having health benefits after news stories highlighted its high concentration of a protective antioxidant called resveratrol, which is also found in blueberries and cranberries.

But the moderate alcohol hypothesis has come under increasing criticism over the years as the alcohol industry’s role in funding research has come to light, and newer studies have found that even moderate consumption of alcohol — including red wine — may contribute to cancers of the breast, esophagus and head and neck, high blood pressure and a serious heart arrhythmia called atrial fibrillation.

In January, Canada issued new guidelines warning that no amount of alcohol consumption is healthy, and urged people to cut drinking as much as possible. The new guidance, issued by the Canadian Centre on Substance Use and Addiction, was a stark departure from its 2011 guidelines, which recommended women limit themselves to no more than 10 standard drinks a week and men no more than 15.

Now the Canadian agency says that consuming even two standard drinks a week is associated with health risks, and seven or more weekly drinks carry a high level of risk.

Current U.S. dietary guidelines are nowhere near as strict, recommending men limit themselves to two drinks or less a day and women to one or less.

But guidelines about alcohol consumption issued by numerous health organizations have been amended to include the proviso that people should not drink alcohol for the express purpose of improving their health.

That caveat was repeated by a scientist with the Distilled Spirits Council, though she took issue with the findings of the new report.

Amanda Berger, vice president for science and health with the Distilled Spirits Council, said the new analysis still “suggests that those who drink in moderation live longer than those who do not,” but added, “no one should drink alcohol to obtain potential health benefits and some individuals should not drink at all.”

The new analysis shows, however, that those who drink moderately have no statistically significant advantage in longevity compared with those who are lifelong abstainers, the study’s authors said.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Some people are vegetarian and not vegan, or just want to eat less meat. And I wager they're a bigger market share at McDonald's than people who are 100% vegan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

This is the third major study in the last year that analyzed 40 years of data and determined that any amount of alcohol is harmful to your health.

There are also not health benefits to drinking a moderate amount of red wine or beer, contrary to many popular assumptions.

Additionally, their findings were similar to others conducted by the WHO and the World Heart Federation that determined that even consuming 2 drinks per week has negative health impacts.

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1643538978014986240

I’ll still keep drinking that garbage.