Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Cooked Auto posted:

:golfclap:
Not going to let this slip by unattended.

Also Reynolds was the highlight of Blade 3 if anything.

Hey now, HHH was fun as a big Mook vampire with his stupid silver teeth and Blade 3 has the best insult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Srice posted:

I can't pinpoint exactly when it happened but once The Rock decided that the movies he stars in should be about his Brand more than being a movie, that's when he completely lost me.

Probably in between Fate of the Furious and Hobbes and Shaw. That's when we got the infamous "candy-rear end" feud with Vin Diesel and Rock making his sister count individual punches he got in the latter movie to make sure he never got more beaten up than Jason Statham. There are rumors he was already trying to steal the spotlight in the prior movies so I guess joining the Fast franchise is what put him on the road to becoming The Rock (TM).

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I believe the first time he talked publicly about his movies having to fit his “brand” was Rampage where he admittedly openly while promoting it that he had the ending changed because it didn’t fit the kind of movies the audience “expects” from him, which was also the exact moment where I started to turn on the guy.

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Apr 5, 2023

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Dwayne didn’t use to be this big. He got there for his Hercules movie and has stuck with it for about 10 years now. Mid-2000s Dwayne looks kinda small by comparison.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

AceOfFlames posted:

Probably in between Fate of the Furious and Hobbes and Shaw. That's when we got the infamous "candy-rear end" feud with Vin Diesel and Rock making his sister count individual punches he got in the latter movie to make sure he never got more beaten up than Jason Statham. There are rumors he was already trying to steal the spotlight in the prior movies so I guess joining the Fast franchise is what put him on the road to becoming The Rock (TM).
If I had to pinpoint a moment it would be Tooth Fairy. He had already forayed into the family friendly market before then, but he was still trying to at least be taken seriously as an actor. Tooth Fairy is definitely the first movie I can remember of his where he was just movie star Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson. It was right around him joining the Fast and Furious franchise.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Casimir Radon posted:

Dwayne didn’t use to be this big. He got there for his Hercules movie and has stuck with it for about 10 years now. Mid-2000s Dwayne looks kinda small by comparison.

Hell go watch any of his matches or promos from 1999/2000 and see how tiny he was back then. Dude was still in amazing shape but he hadn't become the muscle monster he is today.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
The difference between a guy stabbing himself in the rear end with syringes of T, vs. having a team of doctors optimising your anabolics and diet so that you transcend humanity and your balls slowly shrink and transform into a corncob

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Pipe and a button nose

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Casimir Radon posted:

Pain and Gain was where he went insane and completely roided himself up beyond what he had done for wrestling.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

B-Rock452 posted:

Pain and Gain was where he went insane

There's a rap in here somewhere.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

B-Rock452 posted:

Pain and Gain was where he went insane and completely roided himself up beyond what he had done for wrestling.
Pain and Gain came out first but the physical transformation was done for Hercules.

A lot of people were mad that the trailers conned them into seeing what turned out to be a demythologized Hercules movie, but I thought it was pretty decent.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
Ahhh I got mixed up with the dates. I do remember around that time he tore his quad completely off his pelvis which led to torn ab muscles requiring a fair amount of surgery. He really shouldn't have tried to wrestle while he was that juiced up, it was pretty much asking for an injury because body building for Hercules isn't the same as training for a wrestling match

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Casimir Radon posted:

Pain and Gain came out first but the physical transformation was done for Hercules.

A lot of people were mad that the trailers conned them into seeing what turned out to be a demythologized Hercules movie, but I thought it was pretty decent.

We have enough 'demythologised' movies as it is, and a lot seem to miss that if King Arthur doesn't pull a sword from a stone and fight evil enchanters and giants, then you'd better actually make him an interesting character in some other way.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

We have enough 'demythologised' movies as it is, and a lot seem to miss that if King Arthur doesn't pull a sword from a stone and fight evil enchanters and giants, then you'd better actually make him an interesting character in some other way.

King Arthur really is the biggest victim in that regard, it was pretty refreshing that the Guy Ritchie movie from 2017 just threw Kaiju-sized war elephants and fireball-casting wizards at you in the opening.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Simplex posted:

If I had to pinpoint a moment it would be Tooth Fairy. He had already forayed into the family friendly market before then, but he was still trying to at least be taken seriously as an actor. Tooth Fairy is definitely the first movie I can remember of his where he was just movie star Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson. It was right around him joining the Fast and Furious franchise.

Pain and Gain was after that and that was probably the last role he did where he actually tried to act. He is genuinely great in that film. Maybe has a touch of his later foibles in that he's the most sympathetic out of this gang of moronic sociopaths but he has no problem in making himself look like an utter idiot. I still giggle when I remember the scene where Mark Wahlberg is describing his idiotic plan for them to kidnap Tony Shalhoub in a pseudo military-style while the camera shows the The Rock looking utterly baffled and thinking in voice over "Danny was a MASTERMIND" while Anthony Mackey thinks "I knew Danny was making most of this poo poo up"

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

AceOfFlames posted:

Pain and Gain was after that and that was probably the last role he did where he actually tried to act. He is genuinely great in that film. Maybe has a touch of his later foibles in that he's the most sympathetic out of this gang of moronic sociopaths but he has no problem in making himself look like an utter idiot. I still giggle when I remember the scene where Mark Wahlberg is describing his idiotic plan for them to kidnap Tony Shalhoub in a pseudo military-style while the camera shows the The Rock looking utterly baffled and thinking in voice over "Danny was a MASTERMIND" while Anthony Mackey thinks "I knew Danny was making most of this poo poo up"

If I remember correctly, The Rock’s character didn’t exist in the real events the movie’s covering, so that could also be why he’s a bit more sympathetic.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

B-Rock452 posted:

Ahhh I got mixed up with the dates. I do remember around that time he tore his quad completely off his pelvis which led to torn ab muscles requiring a fair amount of surgery. He really shouldn't have tried to wrestle while he was that juiced up, it was pretty much asking for an injury because body building for Hercules isn't the same as training for a wrestling match

Remembering when a roided out Vince McMahon tore both quads simultaneously sliding into the wrestling ring for a TV bit

E: Dave Bautista won the fight, even without the tiny glasses that would later become his trademark

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

X-Ray Pecs posted:

If I remember correctly, The Rock’s character didn’t exist in the real events the movie’s covering, so that could also be why he’s a bit more sympathetic.
His character is a composite of a couple of guys. One of whom testified against the others.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

We could make a movie where the Rock gets a dragon in a headlock, punts a giant crab into space, steals the Amazon queen's underclothes, and lifts the entire earth onto his shoulders.

OR

We could make a bad movie.

*Hollywood mashes the second option repeatedly*

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

Remembering when a roided out Vince McMahon tore both quads simultaneously sliding into the wrestling ring for a TV bit

E: Dave Bautista won the fight, even without the tiny glasses that would later become his trademark

His son blew a quad on Sunday doing a leapfrog in the ring. Because Shane apparently forgot he's a man in his 50s who doesn't actively wrestle.

Vince blowing both sliding into the ring is still some of the funniest poo poo ever.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

joylessdivision posted:

His son blew a quad on Sunday doing a leapfrog in the ring. Because Shane apparently forgot he's a man in his 50s who doesn't actively wrestle.

Vince blowing both sliding into the ring is still some of the funniest poo poo ever.

And this is how I learned that Shane still wrestles, lol. Never change, WWE.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Grendels Dad posted:

Freakshow gonna freak

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Byzantine posted:

We could make a movie where the Rock gets a dragon in a headlock, punts a giant crab into space, steals the Amazon queen's underclothes, and lifts the entire earth onto his shoulders.

OR

We could make a bad movie.

*Hollywood mashes the second option repeatedly*

At least those Lou Ferrigno Hercules movies had laser dinosaurs fighting in outer space and poo poo

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Grendels Dad posted:

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, "Still wrestles" is a big stretch.

"Showed up for the first time in a couple years for Mania" is more accurate. And when I say "Couple of years" I mean he came back briefly in 2019 or 2020 as an authority figure for a bit, probably wrestled a match or two and then bounced again.

Snoop Dogg subbed in for Shane at Mania and did a people's elbow to Miz to win the "Fill time with the Miz and Snoop hosting" segment.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1643789897826697219?s=20

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I don't understand why that took so long to make

It was in development so long that at least one film ripping off the concept already came out like 2 years ago

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

FlamingLiberal posted:

It was in development so long that at least one film ripping off the concept already came out like 2 years ago

The stories I have heard are basically "the dude who created it was granted too much control and it became a boondoggle as he had no idea how films were made". Who knows how long that early gossip applied to slowing this down, though, it has been years.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

FlamingLiberal posted:

Supposedly all those rip off movies were rejected scripts they filed the names off of.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

duz posted:

Supposedly all those rip off movies were rejected scripts they filed the names off of.

This is allegedly the same thing that happened with the Fables comic. Rejected adaptation scripts became Once Upon A Time and Grimm.

Speaking of Grimm, the most fairy tale part of that series might be the fact that the main character, a cop, arrests the monsters more than he kills them. At least in the first season.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Five Nights at Freddy’s debuting on streaming is a good idea, because it will allow plenty of people to livestream themselves watching it and having over the top screaming reactions at every slightly creepy moment.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

duz posted:

Not going to lie, Banana Splits Movie was a lot of fun. Really gory too which was a surprise. I'm pretty sure those were robots. It had a very "FNAF with the serial number filed off" except it had the Banana Splits which I'm only aware of because it was on Cartoon Network when I was a kid.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

joylessdivision posted:

Not going to lie, Banana Splits Movie was a lot of fun. Really gory too which was a surprise. I'm pretty sure those were robots. It had a very "FNAF with the serial number filed off" except it had the Banana Splits which I'm only aware of because it was on Cartoon Network when I was a kid.

Just realized that everytime someone brings up the horror Banana Splits movie, I thought they were talking about a horror Bananas in Pajamas movie.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Chairman Capone posted:

Five Nights at Freddy’s debuting on streaming is a good idea, because it will allow plenty of people to livestream themselves watching it and having over the top screaming reactions at every slightly creepy moment.
it is good that it will be on streaming so that it makes less money for the creator to give to Trump and chud politicians

joylessdivision posted:

they were probably talking about the nic cage movie lol

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/WyattDuncan/status/1643641055261368320

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

davidspackage posted:

Just realized that everytime someone brings up the horror Banana Splits movie, I thought they were talking about a horror Bananas in Pajamas movie.

Are you thinking what I'm thinking B1? I am B2! It's teeth pulling time!

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Grendels Dad posted:

King Arthur really is the biggest victim in that regard, it was pretty refreshing that the Guy Ritchie movie from 2017 just threw Kaiju-sized war elephants and fireball-casting wizards at you in the opening.

in that movie, eric bana jumps his horse in to a gorge. he leaps of it to clear a gap. he ghost rides that horse. it is also one of the few double jumps in cinema.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I've never heard anyone say one good thing about that King Arthur movie. I thought the trailer looked pretty cool though, is it at least worth it for the visuals? That shot of Jude Law making his army kneel as he waves his hand over them has weirdly stuck with me.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Apr 6, 2023

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Is that the one where the poster had the letter K loving the letter A?

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Hakkesshu posted:

I've never heard anyone say one good thing about that King Arthur movie.
It was a fun big-budget action comedy movie, the kind of thing I’d see in a theater with a family/group but not streaming by by self or just my wife when more esoteric fare is up. Basically this week’s D&D movie 5 years ago (or whatever).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

joylessdivision posted:

Hey now, HHH was fun as a big Mook vampire with his stupid silver teeth and Blade 3 has the best insult.

That is also true. :hai:

In other news, the Minecraft movie has apparently been pushed into 2025.
It has been in development since 2014. :v: