Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Great tips thanks all; I'll look into getting those mods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

Jack B Nimble posted:

Great tips thanks all; I'll look into getting those mods.

In the absence of the thread's good players shouting this down, maybe start with something like this:

https://dim.gg/gz6yzda/SolarBase00

Ignore everything but the class options and mods. Even the mods are like "change to taste" like the resist mods and whether you want to start leaning into armor charge for useful things. But if can get used to the idea that you have an infinite orb generator with your hammer now (due to Heavy Handed in arms), orbs heal you, start your recovery instantly, and reduce your barricade cooldown...grenades kills heal you and make orbs, barricade cast (use short wall because it's on a short cooldown) reduces your grenade cooldown (if it was a melee build where you needed to wait for charge it'd be melee, but you have infinite hammers on pickup). Also after barricade cast you get an orb on next weapon kill. You will start to use your barricade as an ability charger as much as for cover...bear in mind you automatically duck behind the rally barricade and get a boatload of reload speed when ducked. If you ADS, you automatically pop up to fire, then release aim down sights will duck you back down until you manually sprint or uncrouch...can take a bit of getting used to but there you go. Again, sunspots (solar ability kills) grant restoration when you enter them, and resto is the instant-on/uninterruptible flavor of healing. Picking up a hammer that did damage (doesn't need to kill) heals you...sunspots also wipe out trash that is rushing you. Backing up a step will funnel rushing targets to the center of your screen to make your hammer miss less. Roaring flames x3 after a couple hammer kills makes your hammers actually do sizeable damage to tougher enemies like orange bars etc. If you put double siphon in helmet you will make "big orbs" on the correct flavor of weapon kill, meaning your super will be up A LOT. Don't save it, it's a roaming add-clear super! Besides look at all those orbs on the ground going to waste! Again, if you yeet the hammer, find something to finish, since you will always have 3 armor charges with this build, nothing is making them decay!

For stats lean into resilience til 90 or 100, then discipline. If you are having trouble hitting high numbers you can adjust the fragments since you are penalizing those two stats, but I think the benefits outweigh the downsides here. Note the -10 resil one sort of implies you use solar weapons for the majority of killing to get the most benefit.. If you are just starting out without much for armor just sorta wear whatever, put resil mods in everything until you're at 80+/90+/100+ and then allocate to discipline.

FWIW I came into this game as a very cautious "use cover and range" and between hammer titan and assassin's cowl hunter I have branched out into the "have to charge in to survive" playstyles a bit, and have been having a lot of fun with both styles now.

uwaeve fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Apr 5, 2023

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Thanks, I'll look into that.

At what point might I start boosting a legendary to keep wearing it rather than just cycling through the junk I keep picking up? At the soft cap? At the next cap after that? Currently I've just been equipping absolutely anything that makes the number go up because even if I dislike some item I'll only have it for a half hour or so anyway.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Item level for drops is based on the max level for that slot that you have anywhere in your inventory or vault, so you don't have to equip a slight upgrade if you don't want to. You will continue to get upgrades as long as you don't shard your highest level gear. Once your gear is way behind you can either infuse it up to your new max level or equip something new. After you hit the soft cap I would recommend just picking one set of gear and gradually infusing it up so that you can level it up and start using mods.

Necrobama
Aug 4, 2006

by the sex ghost

Jack B Nimble posted:

At what point might I start boosting a legendary to keep wearing it rather than just cycling through the junk I keep picking up? At the soft cap? At the next cap after that? Currently I've just been equipping absolutely anything that makes the number go up because even if I dislike some item I'll only have it for a half hour or so anyway.

you want 60+ total stat point, res > disc > the rest

best bet if you're not in endgame content is to roll the dice at the war table with the Resiliance ghost mod equipped; very quick explanation:

d2 stats are grouped into 2 groups "top" and "bottom" (literally right on the character screen, top 3 are top, bottom 3 are bottom!). rolling with the resilience armorer ghost mod makes sure your highest stat in top group is resilience, with a guaranteed 10 minimum, and then it spreads the remainder of the possible points out between the bottom group stats. if you dump enough engrams into focusing, you could theoretically bump 100 resil and 80/90 in both str and disc, but definitely focus on RES and DISC first.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

Jack B Nimble posted:

For a lot of content, light doesn't make much of a difference, and with the new enforced deficit the rules are even murkier. I would say just save your upgrade modules/enhancement cores until you are trying something you specifically know you need levels for (legend lost sector, newest dungeon, newest raid, maybe the seasonal stuff). Patrol/vanguard ops/most crucible/not-the-latest raids/dungeons are mostly no difference. Basically if you get into an activity and find you're doing paltry damage (takes multiple magazines to kill red bar guys) or getting vaporized especially hard, you may be below the light level for that activity. Sometimes your death screen will tell you recommended light for what vaporized you...

If you are just starting out, try to do banshee's four daily nonrepeatable bounties on each character you have, they are relatively fast and easy and will build up a stock of enhancement cores, which can be the limiting currency to buy upgrade modules. They're usually "go kill enemies with X weapon or element" which can be worked into what you're doing, or used as a zone-out chore v0v.

The game calculates what gear to give you based on your maximum-equippable gear (guns count for all classes, each class has its own armor). As long as it's on your character or in the vault, it counts (don't have to be wearing it).

https://destiny-power-bars.corke.dev/ will show you what the game is calculating your gear drops based on (and where it lives).

https://destinyitemmanager.com Progress tab will show you the +X/+Y activities you can complete to get higher-level gear (per character).

Destiny item manager is how all us no-lifers manage inventory as well, you can do some really powerful searching once you learn the syntax. You can search things like "is:maxpower -is:locked" to find all your stuff that is the maximum power the game is using for drops that isn't locked (then lock this stuff! by bulk locking using the 3 dots to the right of the search field, or like "is:void is:autorifle" to do your banshee autorifle and void bounties!

The D2 companion app also lets you pick up bounties from any vendor as long as you're out of game or in orbit, so you can grab bounties for a lot of stuff at once very easily.

uwaeve fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Apr 5, 2023

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Collateral Damage posted:

I don't like the midpoint boss in Lake of Shadows. The taken meatball wasn't fun in Gambit and it isn't fun in nightfalls.

I'd like to know why a rocket does the same amount of damage to it as a single shot from a surge-matched Wish Ender.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Double post cuz a new Wednesday pseudo-TWAB just hit https://www.bungie.net/7/en/News/article/reflecting-on-lightfall

Feel free to clown on me if I'm wrong but I am really not digging the tone of "the changes we've shipped thus far are good enough and you won't be getting anything else," especially in regards to stuff like Lost Sectors and Neomuna patrol.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Pirate Jet posted:

I'd like to know why a rocket does the same amount of damage to it as a single shot from a surge-matched Wish Ender.

wishender has a pretty substantial damage bonus vs taken, which probably stacked with the surge and the precision hit you probably landed because it's a bow

ptroll
Sep 8, 2011

Exotic engram focusing is nice, looking forward to using it next year once they've listened to feedback and slashed the prices.

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

I wonder what radius they’re thinking with the orb vacuum mod, that’s gotta be hard to tune giving the variations in encounter geography. Finally going to be excited for shoot to loot, as well

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
idk seems like great changes all around. LLS and Neomuna patrol kinda suck to get into for new players but it's not a huge deal for anyone already 1800+ and they aren't adjusting the power cap anyway.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
"Adding a new commendation: 'Best Dressed'"

Finally my time will come

E: re Neomuna patrol: "In some ways, it should feel unsafe and oppressive.". Lol this is what Blizzard said about the Maw in Shadowlands. Guess how that went.

fast cars loose anus fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Apr 5, 2023

Necrobama
Aug 4, 2006

by the sex ghost

fast cars loose anus posted:

Fashion Souls hell yeah

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

E: re Neomuna patrol: "In some ways, it should feel unsafe and oppressive.". Lol this is what Blizzard said about the Maw in Shadowlands. Guess how that went.

My Crayola titan's time to shine!

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
https://twitter.com/D2LostSector/status/1643670011494506505?s=20

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

That’s cool. Two things:

1. I never loving see a strike force
2. I crash when I happen to join one

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
wtf is even a strike froce

All I know is there was like a way to get behind one of the bars and kill cabal who came up to get drinks

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
There's probably some reason why it is the way it is, but I wish I could use exotic armors as transmogs. 90% of why I'm wearing Phoenix Protocol is because it looks really nice - I'm only using Well of Radiance instead of my preferred Void stuff because of it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

THE BIG DOG DADDY posted:

All I know is there was like a way to get behind one of the bars and kill cabal who came up to get drinks

Legendary public event in neptune that shows up in the vex invasion area like at specific time windows throughout the day where you die a lot killing big vex robots.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
I did a strike force once and got a legendary chest for the warlock. But 99% of the time there is one other person and three invulnerable Vex with a pile of beam emitters at their feet, good luck getting those to get to DPS.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

THE BIG DOG DADDY posted:

That is an event that gives you one of the action figure collectibles if you finish it

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Is that those annoyingly high damage harpy/hydra mini squads or are those just a different annoyance?

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

love to live in groundhog day

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Necrobama posted:

Fashion Souls hell yeah

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

acumen posted:

idk seems like great changes all around. LLS and Neomuna patrol kinda suck to get into for new players but it's not a huge deal for anyone already 1800+ and they aren't adjusting the power cap anyway.

Neomuna patrol is locked at +15 light so it doesn't matter if you are new or not

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Three golf balls for precision decoding exotics is painful

I hope earning golf balls gets easier with the new exotic decoding system

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

run some GMs and you’ll be stacked

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I guess if the precision decoded exotics are automatically masterworked then three golf balls is just the usual cost

lol like that would happen

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Will the stat rolls be good on those, though.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

"we want neomuna to feel oppressive and unsafe"

you accomplish that with world events, not wandering gribblies being slightly more annoying than usual to deal with. you know what felt oppressive and unsafe? the moon during season of the undying. the sky ripping open at random and uncontrollably making GBS threads fairly dangerous vex.

the most dangerous thing about neomuna right now is the occasional thresher popping your sparrow because you looked away for a second.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Will the stat rolls be good on those, though.

Somehow they will drop low 40's/high 30's.

Necrobama
Aug 4, 2006

by the sex ghost

Kith posted:

the most dangerous thing about neomuna right now is the occasional thresher popping your sparrow because you looked away for a second.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

acumen posted:

The problem with LLSes has never been their difficulty, it’s been their reward structure, and making them more difficult without adjusting that with the launch of Lightfall was adding insult to injury. Community testing on the already-implemented increased drop odds suggests the increase is minimal, meaning the strategy for getting exotics out of these is to run them over and over again until one drops. And you may say “what makes that different from any other activity in Destiny,” and my answer would be that those don’t have a low chance of a reward even dropping at all upon completion, let alone the reward you’re chasing. Grandmaster Nightfalls used to not guarantee an Adept weapon drop upon a Platinum completion, the community thought that sucked, Bungie agreed and changed it. Meanwhile LLSes not only have a low chance of dropping an exotic armor at all, they also only drop one of any armor in the particular slot for that day, meaning you can have something like a 1 in 15 chance of getting the exotic armor you want, and then you have to hope the roll is good.

For Bungie to say “we increased drop chances but we’re not making them less difficult because you’re supposed to level up your artifact over the season to tackle them” is not only absurd considering the obvious direction we’re going of removing Power levels, it’s also completely missing what the issue with LLSes is. I also think the RNG chances on random rolls are absurd on their own and I shouldn’t be able to run a GM eighteen times without getting anything close to the Wendigo roll I want, but at the very least I’m guaranteed a chance at a roll at the end of a GM.

Kith posted:

"we want neomuna to feel oppressive and unsafe"

you accomplish that with world events, not wandering gribblies being slightly more annoying than usual to deal with. you know what felt oppressive and unsafe? the moon during season of the undying. the sky ripping open at random and uncontrollably making GBS threads fairly dangerous vex.

Really not sure how Bungie isn’t getting that the specific ways they have made the game more difficult often make it feel like poo poo, it’s not just that Destiny players are all babies wanting handouts. Like, your point about Wish Ender - yes that all is true, but even with all those buffs the rocket should still be doing more

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Apr 5, 2023

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
Going to have to add “determinism” to my list of words no one at Bungie understands.

As always all they needed to do was make the engrams drop way more often but for some reason they won’t do that. Anything but just having more engrams drop.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Need to figure out a way to automate ghost mods depending on what playlist or activity I go in to. My current system of forgetting my ghost even has mods isn't minmax.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Is that those annoyingly high damage harpy/hydra mini squads or are those just a different annoyance?

Strike force are giant minotaurs with shields that need to be broken by arc cannons that drop from smaller minotaurs (who I'm pretty sure use void cannons themselves rather than arc), accompanied by legions of goblins and fanatics whose sheer number of corpses are the real difficult part of the event (because they crash your game).

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

Not sure who that exotic focusing is for with those costs, but it sure isn't for people who are having trouble running a LLS over and over.

The vex strike force "alternative" is also very funny, since literally every time I've tried to do it and there was more than one other person trying to do it at the same time the game crashed.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

how much loving time does bungie think people spend in patrol areas that they thought the spawn rate of that event was reasonable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Paracelsus posted:

Strike force are giant minotaurs with shields that need to be broken by arc cannons that drop from smaller minotaurs (who I'm pretty sure use void cannons themselves rather than arc), accompanied by legions of goblins and fanatics whose sheer number of corpses are the real difficult part of the event (because they crash your game).

Terminal insight! :pseudo: