Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Breaking open every oreo and eating all the white stuff and then putting the outer pieces back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Breaking open every oreo and eating all the white stuff and then putting the outer pieces back

Thanks!

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

She just needs to find her Jack Sprat.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

AITA For Calling Out My Vegan Brother For Not Caring For His Horses Properly?

quote:

A few months ago my (30M) brother (32M) bought a place that taught horse riding. I don’t know why it closed down, but I know it wasn’t anything to do with animal welfare. He bought the horses too so he ended up with fourteen of them, all of them are adults except for a pair of foals.

I asked my brother what he was going to do with them and he said he was going to keep them and turn the place into an animal sanctuary, which makes sense, he’s vegan and has always had a soft spot for horses.

Rounding back to the present, I was feeling a bit nostalgic and was watching some horse riding videos. So I called up my brother and asked him if I could ride one of his horses. He apologized and told me I couldn’t ride any of them. When I asked him why he said that he’s not going to let any of them be ridden. I was confused so I asked him how they got proper exercise and he said that he lets them out into the fields, which are much bigger now that he took down most of the fences and the training/riding pens, so now they can move around as much as they want and are able to. I told him that there’s no way they get enough exercise from being in a field, that they need to be ridden because they need that stimulation and they have no reason to run otherwise. He says that they run on their own and that they have toys and stuff for stimulation.

I told him that was he wasn’t doing his horses any favors by denying them being ridden. Especially since they went from being ridden constantly to not at all.

He ended up saying* that horses don’t even like to be ridden and that their compliance (???) needs to be trained into them, which is wrong and exploitative, so I told him, that it’s not that they don’t like to be ridden at first, they just aren’t used to it. That’s literally why they need to be trained. And it’s not exploitative or wrong. One of the horses we used to ride would literally come up to us. He said to think about why that was, but it’s pretty obvious why that is. She liked it. So we went on for a bit but he shut me down and told me that under no circumstances would the horses be ridden, and that even if he wanted to he couldn’t let it happen because most of the horses had back injuries (which I don’t believe, but I didn’t say that) and that they don’t like it, because the other day he found some old gear in the back and some of the horses saw him with it when he came out and got upset, said they were acting weary of him for the rest of the day (which again, I don’t believe, but I also didn’t say that).

I dropped it but I find it so weird because we used to ride horses when we were younger and he loved it, and I still think he’s hurting them more than he’s helping. They’re horses, they like being ridden. If they didn’t they’d throw people off and hurt us. It just feels like he taking the who vegan thing to another level. It’s horse riding, it’s not that deep.

So AITA?

Edit; Choppy formatting*

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Poor Freckles, thought of frolicking in an open field without a dipshit on their back and died.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

MK-Ultramarathon posted:

AITA for recommending my ex get therapy?

“Just please try and judge me by my intentions and not my actions”
Lol.
I mean I’m on his side that if someone breaks up a relationship due to PTSD from a previous bf, they should consider therapy. But asking for an exit interview is :lmao:

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

AmiYumi posted:

It’s not a great sign for a new relationship when the verdict is “best case, she has a severe eating disorder”

don't worry, sometimes it's blatant classism "leftovers are for the poors"

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

My Grandma only like chocolates with soft centre, so whenever she got a box of chocolates, she would check the description to find out which ones had soft centres and take one of those unwrap one, have a bite, and if it had a hard centre, she'd wrap that sucker back up and put it back in the box.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

DemoneeHo posted:

AITA For Calling Out My Vegan Brother For Not Caring For His Horses Properly?

Can anyone give me an idea how much this would run a person?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Dazerbeams posted:

There's not enough information to know. Size, location, condition of buildings/house, age/condition of the horses....... This coudl be a 1970s single wide trailer and a run in shed on 2 acres in the middle of nowhere worth $35k to anything up to the highest number you can think of.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Dazerbeams posted:

A fully grown horse costs at least $2500, so 14 of them would run at least $35k, plus the abandoned ranch/stable/paddock and the land it was on. Those places are really big so just an unfathomable amount of money, same as anything to do with horses or horse people.

Plus unlike running it as a stable, where presumably he could cut down on costs by boarding horses owned by urban dwellers for a fee and offer riding, show, roping, etc lessons for rich girls/corporate retreats, if he plans on having it be an animal sanctuary, these things will not be possible, even if he's able to set it up as a 501(c)(3) charity to avoid paying some taxes, so it'll be operating at a loss even beyond the high initial purchase price.

hydroceramics
Jan 8, 2014

Foo Diddley posted:

AITA for eating the toppings off my bfs pizza

AITA for eating all the crunchberries out of the box?

My step-aunt took one single bite out of a dozen donuts at a funeral.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Pookah posted:

My Grandma only like chocolates with soft centre, so whenever she got a box of chocolates, she would check the description to find out which ones had soft centres and take one of those unwrap one, have a bite, and if it had a hard centre, she'd wrap that sucker back up and put it back in the box.

Note: never accept a bag of brazil nuts from Pookah's grandma.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Pookah posted:

Acid vat

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
AITA for not replacing my wife's wedding ring that she lost

quote:

My wife had a tendency to leave her wedding ring in very strange places, on our second bathrooms sink, the kitchen counter, a shelf next to the kitchen sink. I told her multiple times that if she leaves the ring laying around in these more active areas that one of our young children could grab it or it could get knocked off the counter. Sure enough, eventually she did lose it for good. I helped her tear the house apart in hopes that we'd find it but we had no luck. I asked her when she lost it and she said it was a couple weeks ago. Which I was completely dumfounded, her response was that she didn't want to acknowledge that she lost it so she put off looking for it.

She asked if she could get a replacement ring. I told her no because I told her in the past to put her wedding ring up on the mantle or in her locked jewelry box so the kids couldn't get it. Then we also found one of the nice necklaces I bought her in the bathroom drain when we were searching for the ring. I told her she obviously doesn't value her jewelry, so at this point I don't see a necessity to spend money on items she's not going to take care of.

AITA for not replacing this ring?

Edit: to everyone saying that I should replace the ring with a lesser valued ring. That's fine, she has a silicone one now. She wants a full on replacement for the original ring, like thousands of dollars worth.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

hydroceramics posted:

Was it a funeral before she did that?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

hydroceramics posted:

That was your step aunt acting badly and looking for attention, no other excuse can possibly cover it, god drat

hydroceramics
Jan 8, 2014

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Was it a funeral before she did that?

Sadly, yes. I still give her grief about it more than 20 years later.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Nah, you've already got a hole dug.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

hydroceramics posted:

Sadly, yes. I still give her grief about it more than 20 years later.

My sister bought disgusting cakes for Yule maybe ten years ago, and me and my other sister still give her poo poo about it every family gathering. I think I need to stop doing it, it's not nice.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

AITA- Not Supporting GF's Sister

quote:

This is a throwaway because people who know me know my account.

Some info: I have been with my GF 27F for 5 years. She loves her sister a ton which is a good thing as I believe supporting and helping your siblings as long as it doesn't ruin your own life (you will understand why I say this later on). We just put down a mortgage on a house in the suburbs of a large city. I 28M work in tech as a software developer with a Masters Degree in Computer Science. I make quite a lot of money so money issues never arose. GF doesn't work and does chores/ cooking in the house (both agreed on this). I was gonna propose to GF next year. But a problem arose about 2 years ago

For the last 2 years (prolly longer) gf has been sending money to her younger sister lets call her Emily. Emily got pregnant at 20 years old. Emily works as a waitress. The father is bouncing from job to job. Emily says that he is very lazy. He will disappear hours at a time without telling Emily where he's going or what he's doing.

Emily has asked my gf on several occasions for money. My gf being the nice and sweet person she is says yes all the time. It started off as paying for diapers, no problem. Then baby clothes which also no problem. Then daycare which I just brushed off. I talked with GF saying we cant always pay for everything and that helping out for a couple things is okay but not everything. GF reassured me and said that it would be stopping soon once they get their feet picked up which is fine.

One day I hire a financial planner. The next day I get an email saying my account has sent approximately $50,000 USD for the last 10 months! and have around $20,000 sitting in my account. I talk with my gf and she apologizes and says she knew that I wouldn't want to keep sending her sister money and how she just cares ab her sister.

WE'VE BEEN PAYING FOR EVERYTHING. Insurance, rent, car payment, day care, clothing for all three, dinners, dates, going out expenses. IT IS partly my fault because I never check my bank account.

GF shows me text messages between her and Emily saying she needs the money. I then noticed a pattern where Emily would say "Hey can you send me $$$ I don't have money for ..." and of course gf says yes. I brush it off and GF says she wont send any more. THE NEXT DAY gf sends her $1000 because they needed car repairs.

I talk with GF and we get into an argument where she says she will always help her sister no matter what. I understand TO AN EXTENT. We argue trying to understand each others POV. As stated before we had $20,000 and now were down to $19,000 and then how about the next time? and the next time after that? on top of our own expenses. GF then decided that she needs some time alone and that she will be at her mothers for the time being. Now I'm all alone in the house I thought I would live with the girl of my dreams.

AITA for arguing with my GF for caring about her sister too much?

The next day:

quote:

Thank you everyone for the support. I never thought that my situation would blow up to thousands of people. I'll try to answer some questions at best. I make around $150,000 a year as a Lead Software Developer. As someone who has no kids, dogs, or any major responsibility besides myself and a GF I never checked my account. She comes from a cultural family where family is everything and money is just paper. She texted me earlier saying how it should always be family first and that money didn't mean anything without family and how we should help close family like siblings in their time of need. At this point I told her I needed time to myself and told her not to come back until I'm ready to talk. I apologize If my sentences aren't making sense as Whiskey is my only friend rn. I also forgot to mention we started dating before all this money came into play so I trusted her.

another Edit: I'm more sad by the betrayal than the money. Money will come back but time will never come back. 5 whole years, my proposal plan, my life plan, my future kids I dreamt about with her just gone. All the things we've said to eachother. All the late night wine drunk times we spent, all the dates, all the flowers I gave her, I really tried with all my power to be the best man she can have. I would've trusted her with my life and what do i get back? $50,000 gone.

8 days later:

quote:

She is now my ex. We met at a local coffee shop and I told her that things wouldn't workout for us and she went absolutely ballistic. She caused a scene begging me to not end it. It did hurt me to see her like this, but after a couple weeks to give it some thought I would not want a wife who is a liar and one I couldn't trust financially. I left a $100 bill on the table and left but she followed me down to my car. She begged and told me she wouldn't send anymore money to her sister and how she would do anything for us to be together, it was hard but I stayed strong.

She picked up her belongings the other day and I almost had to call the cops because she wouldn't leave. She first tried everything from sexual favors, begging, crying, then it turned to screaming that I ruined her life to even saying without her I wouldn't have gotten to where I am now because of her "Support". I stayed strong and when she left I just broke down sobbing.

For those wondering I'm not gonna press charges because all I want is for her to leave me alone. I don't want anything to do with her, I don't ever want to see her face again. The money will come back as It's just me, a house, and 2 paid off cars. It does get lonely so I'm thinking of getting a puppy (A Doberman for those wondering). Thank you everyone for all the suggestions and a lot of you really had me thinking about my decisions and I definitely learned a lot of valuable lessons. Goodbye and thank you!

hydroceramics
Jan 8, 2014

3D Megadoodoo posted:

My sister bought disgusting cakes for Yule maybe ten years ago, and me and my other sister still give her poo poo about it every family gathering. I think I need to stop doing it, it's not nice.

If she had ever expressed any regret about it at any point I would have dropped it.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Runcible Cat posted:

Note: never accept a bag of brazil nuts from Pookah's grandma.

:hmmyes:

It was one of her few really bad habits. She also made an absolutely killer sherry trifle - her secret? MORE SHERRY.
I made one just like hers for Christmas a few years ago, and I'd say there was a good third of a bottle in it. Her bread pudding was drat good too.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Invisible Clergy posted:

AITA for not replacing my wife's wedding ring that she lost

I started out at "those seem like normal places to leave a ring if you're doing chores, she needs to learn how to deal with that kind of forgetfulness" and ended up at "maybe she's secretly pawning them."

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AITA for calling my guy friend creepy for getting mad that I swiped left on lots of guys?

quote:

I’m (28F) recently in a good place in my life for the first time. I’m financially stable, have a great career, fit, have various passions etc. So I decided to start dating seriously. Even started using a dating app for the first time ever (which I often forget to use).

I was hanging out with a couple friends at the beach the other day and started using the app. I swiped left on just about all of the guys with an occasional match here and there.

Well turns out my guy friend had been closely watching the whole time. He got up and started going through some crisis. He asked me if I’m seriously judging the guys on the pics before anything else and I said hell yeah. He said that I literally rejected 99.99% of the guys who seemed “perfectly fine” and that it’s “unreasonable”.

I was confused by his sudden outburst and told him that he’s crazy. He said that he’s not crazy and that it’s crazy of ME to dismiss his views just like that.

I didn’t even know what to say but told him he’s creeping me out a lot. Well as soon as he heard the word creepy he accused me of using “slurs” against him and making him look bad. Then he legit said that I called him the equivalent of another slur (which I won’t mention).

So am I AH here or is my friend overreacting?

My "Not a creep" T-shirt has people asking a lot of questions already answered by my shirt.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Dazerbeams posted:

14 horses eat a lot of hay and feed. About 15 years ago I would help source hay for a summer camp and I think we aimed for like $3.50 a bale in a fairly rural area that actually grew hay. They'd each get I think maybe a couple flakes a bale which was maybe 5 horses a bale a day. We'd also get round bales which I think were maybe $60-80 and would last a week in the pasture. Plus feed. You also can't get garbage hay like for cows since horses have delicate stomachs. Then you got large animal vet visits as needed and the ferrier I think at least once a year to trim their hooves (they grow like finger nails and never stop). Those fuckers aren't cheap which is why you can easily find garbage horses for free.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed

Moon Slayer posted:

Stealing from the rich and giving to the poor is cool, sorry you're too much of a nerd to date Robin Hood.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

MK-Ultramarathon posted:

AITA for recommending my ex get therapy?

Just please try and judge me by my intentions and not my actions

As usual, the best potential thread title shows it face only after being recently changed

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Moon Slayer posted:

The next day:

8 days later:

Wait, how do you not notice that $5000 a month is just disappearing from your bank account!?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

Those fuckers aren't cheap which is why you can easily find garbage horses for free.

And that place is called Aldi.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

The_Franz posted:

Wait, how do you not notice that $5000 a month is just disappearing from your bank account!?

Because computer touchers sometimes do not balance their checkbook in any way, and don’t even keep a mental tally of their balance

Horror_Business
Jan 6, 2007

I'll put a knife right in you.

The_Franz posted:

By making way more than you spend, putting it all into checking, and setting all of your bills to auto-pay.

LOL that his balance would have been $0 in another 4 months, though.

CyprianLatewood
Feb 27, 2023

by Pragmatica
I check my credit card every two weeks and pay it off but I haven't looked at my bank account for like three months, though I'll probably get back in the habit now that I'm headed back to work for the rest of the year.

My payments are automatic and send me reciepts by email so I don't really have to check the balance itself, I've got a good enough idea of what's in there.

MK-Ultramarathon
Aug 12, 2009

When I log into online banking to pay my credit card, the balances are just right there on the homepage since my card is through my bank, it would be more work for me not to see them.

I will say I haven't balanced a checkbook in like fifteen years because these days I use at most like one check a month, to pay the guy I buy local honey from because I never have cash.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

CyprianLatewood posted:

I check my credit card every two weeks and pay it off but I haven't looked at my bank account for like three months, though I'll probably get back in the habit now that I'm headed back to work for the rest of the year.

My payments are automatic and send me reciepts by email so I don't really have to check the balance itself, I've got a good enough idea of what's in there.

yeah that's what I thought until I paid some shitbird in Washington's prime for 4 months

amazon wouldn't cancel it or tell me who it was lmao

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

I personally get daily emails about my balance so it's pretty hard not to see it going down. :(

but lol @ the ex-gf blowing up her relationship by sending a whole one third of his check over to her sister. should've invited them to live with him too, but then I guess she didn't need to if she was just paying her rent anyway!

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

He should probably press charges tho.

There's a certain intent here that's probably not going away and this will continue with the next idiot

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Clocks posted:

I personally get daily emails about my balance so it's pretty hard not to see it going down. :(

but lol @ the ex-gf blowing up her relationship by sending a whole one third of his check over to her sister. should've invited them to live with him too, but then I guess she didn't need to if she was just paying her rent anyway!

One third of his pre-take-home check! In reality it's more like 50% of each paycheck when you subtract withholding

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
if you arent worried about the bills much you usually dont hyperanalyze your balance its like ok click pay, i dont do auto pay but yeah if you used that you might never notice especially if you just use credit cards mostly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

StrangersInTheNight posted:

he is jealous of his child, isn't he? that happens more often than it really should.

this is like chicken skin wife, this person knows this is rude and insane but is hoping to be reassured. I would be like 'wtf' if I was him as well because yes, going through and picking the 'best' stuff out of the leftovers and leaving the dregs for your partner while playing dumb that's what you were doing is a dick move.

it's easy to tell what "chicken skin wife" means here from context but it is still a really evocative and repulsive turn of phrase