Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=levsLa-NLWI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Some time ago I bought Warhammer Inquisitor - Martyr but refunded it.

Decided to grab it on sale to see if it was as slow and boring as I remember after playing D4 the other weekend, which was also very slow.

And it certainly is, but man all of the passive perk trees seem criminally boring. Just minute percent increases here and there. Are your skills purely driven by your equipment? It really just feels like a terrible sandbox for "building a character".

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Agent Escalus posted:

Really? What about it didn't click for you? The lack of heft in the saber? You didn't get a kick out of deflecting blaster bolts in and of themselves, or in the middle of a combo?

(I agree that the story felt chopped up. Especially the subplot about the gambling crime syndicate and the abrupt ending.)

Yeah it just felt really floaty and slow and the enemies weren't aggressive enough. Like I was doing things that looked cool but it didn't feel cool to do them. It just felt like I was engaging with a serviceable action game with a budget.

I also think it's kind of lame to have a lightsaber that just acts like you're whacking people with a stick until you do a finisher, but that's a larger challenge in general when it comes to balancing them.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

sick. i spent like 100 hours on heroes of hammerwatch. i'll have to bully some friends into playing this with me

RadioDog
May 31, 2005

PantsBandit posted:

Yeah it just felt really floaty and slow and the enemies weren't aggressive enough. Like I was doing things that looked cool but it didn't feel cool to do them. It just felt like I was engaging with a serviceable action game with a budget.

I also think it's kind of lame to have a lightsaber that just acts like you're whacking people with a stick until you do a finisher, but that's a larger challenge in general when it comes to balancing them.

Oh man turning on dismemberment in JK and JA made for the best feeling sabers. Made the SP parts trivial (and why wouldn't they be) but the endless arena modes were incredibly satisfying (until you yourself got outnumbered and dismembered).

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

whats the diff between hammerwatch and heroes of same? i played heroes, its a fun grind

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

RadioDog posted:

Oh man turning on dismemberment in JK and JA made for the best feeling sabers. Made the SP parts trivial (and why wouldn't they be) but the endless arena modes were incredibly satisfying (until you yourself got outnumbered and dismembered).

I think the new Jedi Survivor game has dismemberment as well iirc.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Kragger99 posted:

I think the new Jedi Survivor game has dismemberment as well iirc.

Just for the prequel droids from what they’ve said, though there might be more limited stuff on the stormtroopers.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Probably not going to see screaming bisected stormtroopers flipping through the air streaming blood and guts out of their torso in a Star Wars game, is my guess.

Orv
May 4, 2011
To be fair, even the old JK/O games just had people with cauterized bits flying off, they weren’t terribly gory. But yeah, unlikely.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

In the trailers for Jedi game there’s been a few stormtrooper hands and feet coming off but that’s it.

If only Visceral could have made a lightsaber-adjacent game.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Orv posted:

Just for the prequel droids from what they’ve said, though there might be more limited stuff on the stormtroopers.

They show a beast get its arm cut off in the preview footage (and keep fighting) so it seems like they'll at least have some canned dismemberment on a variety of enemies.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's not like it's consistent across media, they cut off limbs all the time but you see some Jedi going ham through a group of dudes with body slashes and they just do the old *ya got me* instead of being in half. How do you even stab someone with a lightsaber without them sliding down on it and coming out the top of their head, as should've happened to Han Solo

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
The first game had cauterized dismemberment for at least some of the monsters, but none of the humanoid enemies.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

zoux posted:

How do you even stab someone with a lightsaber without them sliding down on it and coming out the top of their head, as should've happened to Han Solo

The Force.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

zoux posted:

It's not like it's consistent across media, they cut off limbs all the time but you see some Jedi going ham through a group of dudes with body slashes and they just do the old *ya got me* instead of being in half. How do you even stab someone with a lightsaber without them sliding down on it and coming out the top of their head, as should've happened to Han Solo
Clearly lightsaber scarring confers lightsaber damage immunity, duh. How else would anyone in this setting a) survive like Darth Maul or b) get wicked scars so you know who's the real badass?

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
I saw this stated in an article on the new features in Jedi Survivor:

"A new features also includes the ability dismember enemies - not just droids but Stormtroopers and other humanoid attackers as well."

So we'll see how far that goes. I doubt it'll be gory or anything like that, but it might make the lightsabre feel more "damaging".

Edit: linking the article here, as it talks about other new features: https://www.ign.com/wikis/star-wars-jedi-survivor/New_Features_and_Differences

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I better be slipping in Wookie guts or I'm docking a full letter grade.

Orv
May 4, 2011
It’s always seemed funny to me that armor exists in Star Wars anyway when blasters are clearly plot powered. A Stormtrooper getting clapped in the armored shoulder is fatal but protagonists can survive being laser gutshot for hours.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Mordja posted:

The first game had cauterized dismemberment for at least some of the monsters, but none of the humanoid enemies.
It always amused me how all of the monster enemies in Fallen Order had codex blurbs that said they had "carapace so thick that it's resistant to lightsabers" or some poo poo, to explain why you couldn't just kill them in one hit by slicing through their innards.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

ID@Xbox news:

- Coffee Talk episode 2 (coffee brewing VN) launches on Gamepass on April 20th.

- Homestead Arcana (life sim) launches on Gamepass on April 21st. By the dev of The King's Bird (Serenity Forge)

- Cassette Beasts (pokemon with fusion mechanics by the dev of Lenna's Inception) launches on Gamepass on April 26th. Demo still available.

- Closer the Distance announced, a new "community healing" narrative game by the developer of the Orwell games. No date.

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256888639/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1655012447
- The Explorator announced, a first-person shooter with cel-shaded environments and hand drawn animation for the enemies. No date.

- Lil Guardsman announced, a very Cartoon Networky take on Papers Please with the ability to rewind time. 2023 TBD.

- Kabaret available now, unclear if they mean "on Gamepass".

- Some footage of next week's Vampire Survivors expansion was shown.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Apr 5, 2023

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
the only bad thing about Rollerdrome is that the levels are locked behind completing challenges, so you gotta replay the same 4 levels doing specific things to get to the next 4 levels.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Warhammer Space Marine should've had dynamic dismemberment imo

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

Four heroes gathering to fight Castlevania Edgeworth.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I forgot how sadistically fun it is to watch Replays of other players attempt to Raid your Base in Meet Your Maker.

23 Deaths :getin:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i mentioned a Pushmo clone last month which came out this past week... turns out the final level is a portrait of Donald Trump :negative:

you had one job, and you blew it

bummed by this because there has not been a Pushmo clone to my knowledge until now and the series has been abandoned by Nintendo/IntSys since Stretchmo in 2015 (8 years ago...)

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

The 7th Guest posted:

i mentioned a Pushmo clone last month which came out this past week... turns out the final level is a portrait of Donald Trump :negative:

lol poo poo

pushmo was great

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

i think someone at bethesda is having a laugh

https://steamdb.info/app/377160/history/

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Missed their shot at Two Vegas

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

The 7th Guest posted:

bummed by this because there has not been a Pushmo clone to my knowledge until now and the series has been abandoned by Nintendo/IntSys since Stretchmo in 2015 (8 years ago...)

This is PictoPull, isn't it. (I have also been playing. Dangit.)

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

secretly best girl posted:

This is PictoPull, isn't it. (I have also been playing. Dangit.)
Yup -_-

Back I go to Picross, and Lingo…. Lingo will never let me down…

…it’ll just have some extremely inscrutable puzzles sometimes

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

I can't wait for New New Vegas

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
New Vegas2

Orv
May 4, 2011
Poo Vegas

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Everyone knows that Bethesda wouldn't be able to make anything close to New Vegas even if their loving lives depended on it.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Jack Trades posted:

Everyone knows that Bethesda wouldn't be able to make anything close to New Vegas even if their loving lives depended on it.
I doubt they'd even want to anyway considering they barely acknowledge its existence. Obsidian on the other hand...dunno why it would happen in the Fallout 4 repo though.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Jack Trades posted:

I'm really looking forward to running around the strip yelling "SHAUN" and building a lovely settlement

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Maybe they are trying to do an official Tale of Three Wastelands

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Probably related to the Fallout 4 remaster they're doing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

kazil posted:

I'm really looking forward to running around the strip yelling "SHAUN" and building a lovely settlement

HATE NEW VEGAS