Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
not sure if u knew but kids movies come in both good and bad and i personally would have liked this to have been a good one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Gaspy Conana posted:

not sure if u knew but kids movies come in both good and bad and i personally would have liked this to have been a good one.

"Who are you going to believe, the opinions of jaded critics and YouTubers, or your own lying eyes?"

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
My child has an extremely acute sense of cinema, you uncultured swine, I say as she watches yet another episode of Peppa Pig

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Pokémon

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Don't get hit and shot the bad guys

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

External Organs posted:

My child has an extremely acute sense of cinema, you uncultured swine, I say as she watches yet another episode of Peppa Pig

https://amp.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2021/jul/19/peppa-pig-american-kids-british-accents

:imunfunny:

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

My four year old nephew seems to love everything that Illumination makes and also Mario so he's probably gonna lose his mind at the movie. Jack Black as Bowser seems cool, I guess :shrug:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Gaspy Conana posted:

there's some silly quotes but it's funny to act like snooty critics are biased against kids movies right after the D&D and shrek cat movies did really well with them

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

If the Mario movie post credit scene isn't a tease of link or zelda then what are we even doing here

It'll be a teaser for turning IGN's old fake Zelda movie trailer into a real movie :D

incorporeal
May 6, 2006

Gaspy Conana posted:

K. My 6 year old will probably like it and doesn't really matter if I do.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

WHY BONER NOW posted:

One review mentioned "holding put for a hero" plays at one point, which is a big sigh. I'm sure there will be a litany of safe, generic cartoon clichés
I look forward to “The Boys Are Back In Town” being featured prominently in the trailers for the sequel.

rox
Sep 7, 2016

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
ja but what if it was also an instant classic? that would have been cool. one of those movies kids watch in 30 yrs because it's so dadgummed good. thanks MINIONS.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

incorporeal posted:

This kids movie didn't hold up to my standards for cinema

Given the fact that those movies absolutely do exist, I think it's fair to expect kid's movies to be better than they often are. They don't have to be good to be successful and that's fine, but since it's totally possible, I wish they'd make more effort.

I'll be happy if the animation is creative, and given what the trailers have shown it looks like it will be, thanks to the source material anyway. I really like animation as a medium, it can be super rich given the opportunity.

I'd be happy to write a review after seeing it, but I'm awfully wordy at the best of times and I wouldn't want to subject anyone to that necessarily.

incorporeal
May 6, 2006

I think I have like zero critical eye when it comes to kids animated movies because I've seen more kids movies this past like 2 or so years then I have in the past 20 and honestly can't tell what makes one better then others to people. Watched that new puss in boots movie that just came out a few weeks ago with my kid. Saw people talking about how great it was it but besides the animation looking good it just felt like another kids movie to me?

It's definitely not a genre a movies I would have any interest in if I didn't have a kid so that probably has a big part of why the Mario movie doesn't look any worse then other stuff I've seen. Serious post done.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I think it's possible to have valid appreciation and criticism of a movie - or anything, really - but phrasing those observations as overt declarations of the thing being Good or Bad lacks the granularity necessary for the observations to be meaningful or interesting.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Bleck posted:

I think it's possible to have valid appreciation and criticism of a movie - or anything, really - but phrasing those observations as overt declarations of the thing being Good or Bad lacks the granularity necessary for the observations to be meaningful or interesting.

Definitely true. There's objectively bad things I love and objectively good ones that I don't care for.

incorporeal posted:

I think I have like zero critical eye when it comes to kids animated movies because I've seen more kids movies this past like 2 or so years then I have in the past 20 and honestly can't tell what makes one better then others to people. Watched that new puss in boots movie that just came out a few weeks ago with my kid. Saw people talking about how great it was it but besides the animation looking good it just felt like another kids movie to me?

It's definitely not a genre a movies I would have any interest in if I didn't have a kid so that probably has a big part of why the Mario movie doesn't look any worse then other stuff I've seen. Serious post done.

I'd be happy to have that conversation but maybe it's not the time or place.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

wouldn't want to take up air that could be dedicated to more important conversations like the fact that weapon durability in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is good, it's the armor upgrading that sucks

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
You're all talking about the wrong Mario movie imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYDmBdUalgo

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Motto posted:

weapon durability in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is good, it's the armor upgrading that sucks

Hard to have a conversation on something where we both agree. :shrug:

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
My 4 year old daughter is extremely excited about the Mario movie. She asks to check the calendar every day to see how close we are to our tickets on Saturday and got a Mario book from the library to “teach (me) who she was going to see.”

Doesn’t she know it got bad reviews?! Idiot!!!!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think it's silly when you could be discussing the Pokémon anime movie with Lugia in it instead

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Seth Rogan is actually awesome as DK. Chris Pratt does a great job too. I am shocked.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I think it's silly when you could be discussing the Pokémon anime movie with Lugia in it instead

of the first three pokemon movies, 2000 is def the worst

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Looper posted:

Gas

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
the best is the third one with entei, though the first is a classic for sure

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Man it's like a $12 ticket for 90 mins of your life either watch it or don't, it's really not a big deal or worth all that much discussion here imo. I'm going tomorrow but I'm not worried about whether it's gonna suck or not cuz it's just a movie

In other news my NYXI joy cons are finally acting up :( they sporadically get disconnected think it's because they're a little bit loose, I cleaned the contacts and the rails and it seemed to have improved the issue. Still disconnected once last night, but I was playing dead cells and rough handling the joy cons so maybe that was part of it

Still I'm pretty bummed because I absolutely adore these controllers and I cannot go back to the stock ones. I'm going to try adding a piece of tape or a thing cardboard to the rail to see if that helps because I'm hoping it's just a physical jiggling issue and not actually a software / hardware problem

Also picked up chained echoes which looks super slick but lol I am now juggling dead cells, chained echoes, octopath 2, and mp remastered. I never beat games anymore

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I'm playing Doom 2 tonight for the first time, hell yeah!!!!

Looper posted:

WHAT THE gently caress. Booooo, throw tomatoes!

I don't have kids myself so I'm not often exposed to any recent kids shows, but dammit, Arthur still kicks rear end. :colbert:

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I once got a huge bag of weed and tried to go back to a lot of my favorite kid shows especially a lot of the millennial darlings that are always in the memes and ehh...

They were ok but not as good as I remembered and pretty clearly lovely in some cases. Life is too short to revisit most of those!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Read After Burning posted:

WHAT THE gently caress. Booooo, throw tomatoes!

they're right but it's only because 1 and 3 kick rear end and not because 2 is bad

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
When I was a little kid, we were going to see the 90s Mario movie and my parents cancelled the plans the day of because they read a bad review of it. This isn't a joke.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
They didn't take you to watch a better reviewed movie instead?? That's hosed up op

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

kids at different stages of development will often respond differently to a mediocre kids movie

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The new Zelda comes out soon, hooray!

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

The new Zelda comes out soon, hooray!

Kind of surreal tbh. I was really hyped, then stopped caring for a long time, and am now back to being insanely hyped. It's been such a long wait!

SMTV is another one with a brutal gap between announcement and release. But hey it came out and it was good and now ToTK is out in a month and it'll probably be good too!

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

I work Saturdays and I'm considering taking vacation on that day just for ToTK, I haven't missed work to play a game since... Smash Brawl, I think? drat I'm excited

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Looper posted:

the best is the third one with entei, though the first is a classic for sure

The first one is bad bc it made me cry in the theater, as i was 8

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

mandatory lesbian posted:

The first one is bad bc it made me cry in the theater, as i was 8

stay strong gamer *gamer salute*

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

chaleski posted:

I work Saturdays and I'm considering taking vacation on that day just for ToTK, I haven't missed work to play a game since... Smash Brawl, I think? drat I'm excited

I'm taking that Friday off and just realized that Monday is Memorial day.

Extra long weekend for true Zelda lovers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Inzombiac posted:

I'm taking that Friday off and just realized that Monday is Memorial day.

Extra long weekend for true Zelda lovers!

Pretty sure May 15th is too early to be Memorial Day