Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Pegnose Pete posted:

Edit: back to UW for a second, when games don’t support it and you play pillarboxed, on OLED in a dark room it shouldn’t be that distracting right?
Like if that means I have 16:9 QD-OLED that’s still a set up from my current 1440p IPS monitor.

I don't even notice on my VA but on oled those parts of the monitor are just off. so you shouldn't be distracted unless you're just hyper focused on the bezel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

Pegnose Pete posted:

I would say the 1070 would scrape by on most modern titles but probably at mid to low settings depending.
I had a laptop with a 6gb 1060 for the ps4 generation and it felt more powerful than game cosoles at 1080p 60, but started to hit a ceiling for 1440p 60 pretty quickly (I remember Nier Automata and Sekiro needing their settings lowered a fair amount at 1440p).

Now my backup desktop PC has a 1070 in it, and it struggled to keep Elden Ring at 1440p 60 around medium settings. Played really nice at 1080p though.

Edit: back to UW for a second, when games don’t support it and you play pillarboxed, on OLED in a dark room it shouldn’t be that distracting right?
Like if that means I have 16:9 QD-OLED that’s still a set up from my current 1440p IPS monitor.

Shouldn't be that distracting. The pixels' light emission will be shut off if receiving a signal to display black, so you won't experience light bleed or anything like that into the frame.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

i still regularly get hit with a "wow" moment using a (QD)-OLED monitor

it's not just for media consumption - having my IDE set to pitch dark mode and seeing code backgrounded by perfect blacks is neat

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
wow monitor arms are such a massive hassle, next time I think I'll just use an old text book or psu or something.

edit: ok it's not so bad

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Mar 28, 2023

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://www.anandtech.com/show/18796/joled-files-for-bankruptcy-set-to-transfer-oled-ip-to-jdi-and-close-down-two-plants

JOLED supplied panels for some high end ASUS and LG professional products, and was one of the big developers of inkjet printed OLED panel technology.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Cygni posted:

JOLED supplied panels for some high end ASUS and LG professional products, and was one of the big developers of inkjet printed OLED panel technology.

Yeah the technology they couldn't ever sell below $3000 per display... it's a shame because the they had a 22-inch panel (RGB Stripe too!)and still to this day you can't find anything else between 17 to 26 inches.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Just bought a Dell CG3223D because I'm a dummy who is bad with money and the 27" I want hasn't gone on sale lately. What's the best way to wall mount this as flush to the wall as possible? I don't care about articulation and stuff, I'm gonna be staring at it head on from like 30 inches away so I want it to be as far as possible from my tiny desk.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Probably one of those low profile vesa mounts that screw directly to the wall, unless you're willing to open up the wall. Could possibly get it a couple more inches back...not sure it's worth that though.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Yeah something like this will do the trick easily, getting closer than that is hard because you have to have a way to screw something to the back of the monitor, a way to screw something to the wall, and a way to hold them together.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Cygni posted:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/18796/joled-files-for-bankruptcy-set-to-transfer-oled-ip-to-jdi-and-close-down-two-plants

I saw this coming a mile away, but it still sucks to see. They were the only high-density OLED panels with RGB stripe subpixels in production, but JOLED was never able to get good yields with their inkjet process. JDI doesn't seem interested in trying to improve the process either considering the plants are closing instead of being transferred over alongside the IP.

TCL licensed the IP and still claims to be working on commercializing it, but their current estimation for the first products using it is somewhere around 2025. I'm not super optimistic about their chances though.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Well, one of our Dell secondary 27 inch monitors died so its time to buy a ridiculous 1440p gaming monitor and cross the 200 Hz threshold. Considering that overwatch can only hit around 250 Hz on max settings with a 3080Ti I went for the PG279QM @ 240hz vs the 360hz one. I managed to find it on Amazon delivered quickly for $700 where I get 5% back. I mostly just bought it immediately so my wife can go back to having two monitors.

So while I am within the return window, is there anything else I should be considering?

I want 27 inches, 1440P, 200+ Hz and native gsync. Coming from Acer Predator XB271HU 27" WQHD (2560x1440) NVIDIA G-SYNC IPS Display.

spunkshui fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Mar 29, 2023

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
I’d consider $300 more for those specs plus OLED. LG 27GR95QE-B or Asus PG27AQDM.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

spunkshui posted:

Well, one of our Dell secondary 27 inch monitors died so its time to buy a ridiculous 1440p gaming monitor and cross the 200 Hz threshold. Considering that overwatch can only hit around 250 Hz on max settings with a 3080Ti I went for the PG279QM @ 240hz vs the 360hz one. I managed to find it on Amazon delivered quickly for $700 where I get 5% back. I mostly just bought it immediately so my wife can go back to having two monitors.

So while I am within the return window, is there anything else I should be considering?

I want 27 inches, 1440P, 200+ Hz and native gsync. Coming from Acer Predator XB271HU 27" WQHD (2560x1440) NVIDIA G-SYNC IPS Display.

The cheaper alternative would be the M27Q X for $430 currently. It's also 27" 1440p 240hz and g-sync compatible. The main downsides compared to the PG279QM is that it doesn't have variable overdrive (so you have to switch overdrive modes when playing lower-framerate games) and it doesn't have as versatile of an sRGB mode (the asus monitor's srgb mode is pretty accurate and fully unlocked). Panel quality may also be a bit more variable with gigabyte's "M" series monitors, though that's a bit tougher to judge without seeing many different people's experiences. I'll say that the M27Q X and PG279QM have very similar black uniformity ratings on RTINGS.

In my opinion, the plusses for the asus monitor are probably not strong enough to be worth $250 more than the M27Q X. It kind of feels bad to send back a monitor only to buy a replacement that may be worse in some ways though.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Mar 29, 2023

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The cheaper alternative would be the M27Q X for $430 currently. It's also 27" 1440p 240hz and g-sync compatible. The main downsides compared to the PG279QM is that it doesn't have variable overdrive (so you have to switch overdrive modes when playing lower-framerate games) and it doesn't have as versatile of an sRGB mode (the asus monitor's srgb mode is pretty accurate and fully unlocked). Panel quality may also be a bit more variable with gigabyte's "M" series monitors, though that's a bit tougher to judge without seeing many different people's experiences. I'll say that the M27Q X and PG279QM have very similar black uniformity ratings on RTINGS.

In my opinion, the plusses for the asus monitor are probably not strong enough to be worth $250 more than the M27Q X. It kind of feels bad to send back a monitor only to buy a replacement that may be worse in some ways though.

I passed on the esports version of the ASUS monitor because I'm too lazy to change modes when I change games and I do run games on max settings which tanks the frame rates, hence liking the dedicated gsync module.

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Strix-Gaming-Monitor-XG27AQM/dp/B0966ZJBQY, technically better for overwatch

I'm fine with the price I paid considering I was looking at the $1000+ PG27AQN (360hz, HDR600) and the PG27AQDM (240hz, OLED, sold out) also $1000.

spunkshui fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Mar 29, 2023

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Anyone seen any long-term reviews of the PG42UQ? It's nearing six months since release. The initial firmware issues kinda scared me off, I'm wondering if they've gotten things ironed out since then.

Mang Tomas
Jan 9, 2007
Just got my first QD-OLED screen (Alienware Freesync ultra wide version) and it’s mind blowing.

Is there any tips on maintaining the screen itself aside from that prompt to pixel refresh (would doing it more often hurt it)?

Would having HDR 1000 mode on all the time even out of gaming be ok?

This is purely for gaming, video and some web browsing.

After hearing that QD OLED burn in issue I’m a bit worried but it does have that 3 year burn in warranty at least.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Mang Tomas posted:

Just got my first QD-OLED screen (Alienware Freesync ultra wide version) and it’s mind blowing.

Is there any tips on maintaining the screen itself aside from that prompt to pixel refresh (would doing it more often hurt it)?

Would having HDR 1000 mode on all the time even out of gaming be ok?

This is purely for gaming, video and some web browsing.

After hearing that QD OLED burn in issue I’m a bit worried but it does have that 3 year burn in warranty at least.

This is currently the best resource I've found for HDR settings for the F model.

The short of it is that either with Nvidia or AMD cards you need to tweak settings on both the OS and the monitor, as well as individual app/game settings to get the best experience based on your hardware and what you're viewing. It's a pain in the rear end, but I think I got HDR to work pretty well all-around after going through those recommendations.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
I’m really curious to see if the C1 and C2 will get that auto dimming fix the C3 is rolling out. That might sway my decision. Otherwise I’m leaning towards just ordering the DWF once my previous monitor sells.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
Im planning a new pc build with a 4090. I was thinking about a dual monitor set up. I already have a 1440 27" acer XB271HU that ive been using on my current setup.

Are there ultrawides in 4k? Can i run a 4k in conjunction with my old monitor?

Im mostly gaming with all sorts. Mw2, cyberpunk, stellaris, civ. I want it to look good. When i jumped from 1080 to 1440 several years ago, i was in awe and loved it. I guess im chasin that high. Im def not competitive enough in fps games to be worried if a few fps is the reason i suck at a game.

Any recommendations under $1500?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

You can use your current monitor as a secondary, yes. You should definitely be able to find something decent in that price range.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

ZombieCrew posted:

Im planning a new pc build with a 4090. I was thinking about a dual monitor set up. I already have a 1440 27" acer XB271HU that ive been using on my current setup.

Are there ultrawides in 4k? Can i run a 4k in conjunction with my old monitor?

Im mostly gaming with all sorts. Mw2, cyberpunk, stellaris, civ. I want it to look good. When i jumped from 1080 to 1440 several years ago, i was in awe and loved it. I guess im chasin that high. Im def not competitive enough in fps games to be worried if a few fps is the reason i suck at a game.

Any recommendations under $1500?

The odyssey neo g9 is around that price point. G95NA is the newest i think.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007
Or not, there's higher.
https://news.samsung.com/global/sam...play-technology

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
got dang going from 24" to 32" is quite a change. dell g3223d. its almost as big as my entire (tiny) desk. so far its really great for productivity work, i can fit 4 windows on screen at once when one used to take up my entire monitor.

so-so for gaming. 1440p is nice but not as substantial a jump from 1080p as i expected, probably due to screen size. games are definitely smoother with 165hz and gsync, i used to get lots of screen tearing before.

its a bit hard to take in the entire screen in fps games and strategy games kinda suck due to screen size. im debating returning it and waiting for a 27" to go on sale. any thoughts on how long it takes to acclimate to a size jump like this?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Ammanas posted:

got dang going from 24" to 32" is quite a change. dell g3223d. its almost as big as my entire (tiny) desk. so far its really great for productivity work, i can fit 4 windows on screen at once when one used to take up my entire monitor.

so-so for gaming. 1440p is nice but not as substantial a jump from 1080p as i expected, probably due to screen size. games are definitely smoother with 165hz and gsync, i used to get lots of screen tearing before.

its a bit hard to take in the entire screen in fps games and strategy games kinda suck due to screen size. im debating returning it and waiting for a 27" to go on sale. any thoughts on how long it takes to acclimate to a size jump like this?

I went from 27" 1440p to 32" 1440p and the adjustment was pretty quick, but I also moved the 32" back farther than where my 27" sat. You said you have a tiny desk so maybe that's not an option for you, but if it is that's what I would suggest.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Mang Tomas posted:

Like 40 posts ago I said something on it.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3372494&pagenumber=1002&perpage=40&userid=0#post530760181

I dunno how clear I was but if you change a default setting it will actually pixel refresh in standby, you just have to leave it on all the time, which I am not accustomed to doing.

This saves you from having manual 4hr pixel refreshes so often, which is my only issue with the monitor.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Adjusting to 42" from 27" only took a week or so, doesn't even seem that huge now.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
Alright, sold my old monitor for a decent price. Now I’m ready to upgrade.
I’m 90% sold on the DWF, but if the LG C1 got the new auto dimming fix via an update I would strongly consider going that route instead. The 48” C1 was what I’ve wanted for ages now, but I would opt for an extended warranty and don’t want to void it by turning off stuff in the service menu.
I wonder how long I should wait to see if the C1 gets the fix…

Termyie
Aug 18, 2022

Always choose violence.

So my Asus Tuf VG27AQ kick the bucket over the weekend. I have a Alienware AW2521HF as a secondary monitor that I thought was going to be a downgrade from 1440p 27" to 1080p 25". After using it as my main monitor for a few days, I am liking it more and more. I am now second guessing myself in wanting to get another 1440p monitor and just get a 1080p 360Hz monitor to replace my broken one. I like the idea of setting everything on max since I am using a 4070Ti and just pushing high frames from the monitor than trying to tweak settings to get it to go up to the higher end of the refresh rate when I was on 1440p. There is also the issue with the Canadian prices being really high for the 1440p monitors in stock in Canada (mostly ROG Strix monitors) and out of stock for others.

I was thinking of getting the AW2523HF since I have a 10% discount I can get from my work. Is there any other monitors in the 1080p 360Hz space I should consider? Rtings seems to be recommending the AW2523HF highly.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

https://tftcentral.co.uk/news/monitor-oled-panel-roadmap-updates-march-2023

A lot of information on upcoming OLED panels from LG.Display and Samsung Display (the panel manufacturers, distinct from their monitor manufacturing branches). There's finally confirmation of a 32" 4K W-OLED panel, currently planned for Q3 2024 which likely means products using it will arrive Q4 2024 or Q1 2025. It has a very interesting gimmick in that it will support either 4K at 240hz or 1080p at 480hz. There's also a 27" 4K panel "under consideration," which means it may not see the light of day anytime soon. The pixel density issue will pose a challenge for them, which is why it's not a sure thing yet. There are some other 21:9 and 1440p panels planned too, including a 1440p480 panel and a 5120x2160 165hz panel (though it may be over two years away)

Samsung Display has a few new QD-OLED panels planned, but there are apparently very few details. 4K 240hz at 32" and 27" are apparently options. TFT Central doesn't clarify if these are concrete plans or simply "under consideration," but there are some planned improvements to QD-OLED happening in the next few years that should make high-density displays possible so they may beat LG to 27" 4K.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Apr 4, 2023

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

There's also a 27" 4K panel "under consideration," which means it may not see the light of day anytime soon. The pixel density issue will pose a challenge for them, which is why it's not a sure thing yet.

That's odd since my laptop has a 4K WOLED at 15.6 inches, so I don't get why they're saying 27 would be a density issue.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
Man, the pace at which new monitors come to market is glacial. Some of those options could be on the market today, and yet they won't arrive for at least a year.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

a 5120x2160 165hz panel (though it may be over two years away)

and so my watch continues

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

That's odd since my laptop has a 4K WOLED at 15.6 inches, so I don't get why they're saying 27 would be a density issue.

Are you sure it's WOLED? Pretty sure most laptops use some variant of AMOLED, the kinds of OLED screens used in phones. WOLED is a different beast. It can get much brighter and is much more burn-in resistant, but density is an issue with that specific panel type.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

There's finally confirmation of a 32" 4K W-OLED panel, currently planned for Q3 2024 which likely means products using it will arrive Q4 2024 or Q1 2025. It has a very interesting gimmick in that it will support either 4K at 240hz or 1080p at 480hz.

Sounds great, now to convince Nvidia to put in a driver-side frame doubling BFI mode that works with VRR enabled, since you know drat well LG won't implement it.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Are you sure it's WOLED? Pretty sure most laptops use some variant of AMOLED, the kinds of OLED screens used in phones. WOLED is a different beast. It can get much brighter and is much more burn-in resistant, but density is an issue with that specific panel type.

It's AMOLED but it's pixel arrangement is WRGB, isn't that pretty close? I haven't had any burn-in yet from 12 hours a day for 2 years, and it's literally Too Bright already at 500 nits indoors (I have to turn it down to around 70% brightness)

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
Is 5400 hours too much for a used CX?
Prices are out of whack in my region.

The going rate for a used CX/C1 is about 650-750, and a new 48” C1 is still about 1100-1200 or so.

The DWF is available on sale sometimes for about 1080, with that nice 3 year warranty.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Pegnose Pete posted:

Is 5400 hours too much for a used CX?
Prices are out of whack in my region.

The going rate for a used CX/C1 is about 650-750, and a new 48” C1 is still about 1100-1200 or so.

The DWF is available on sale sometimes for about 1080, with that nice 3 year warranty.

A used CX might be your best bet and can spend the saved cash on a PS5.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

It's AMOLED but it's pixel arrangement is WRGB, isn't that pretty close? I haven't had any burn-in yet from 12 hours a day for 2 years, and it's literally Too Bright already at 500 nits indoors (I have to turn it down to around 70% brightness)

I don't know much about laptop and phone screens to be honest, and I wasn't aware that there were AMOLED screens with WRGB subpixels. LG's WOLED is probably pretty different. It's a panel type they developed specifically for large televisions, and it doesn't seem to scale down well using their normal production process. The pixel aperture ratio becomes pretty small at higher densities, which leads to reduced brightness unless they compensate by increasing power consumption, but doing that reduces pixel lifespan. This is why it has taken them so long to release monitors and TVs that are smaller than 48"

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
How is the Dell P-Series? Was looking at dual P2423Ds for office use for some of our cubes.

The 2 (or 3) 24"s work really well for our space setup but I want to stop ordering "Full HD" stuff and these are WQHD 2560 x 1440. Dell doesn't seem to make an UltraSharp in 24" that is better than 1920x1080, so just trying to understand the differences. It's IPS, which is good. Otherwise, I don't care about built-in USB hubs or anything because we all have TB4 docks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Currently have an LG 34GP950G-B that I got for $900 in July of last year. Love it, great monitor, works with the AMD GPU I just got as well despite having a hardware G-Sync module. I didn’t want to upgrade my monitor, but the OLED sirensong is calling me :shepspends:. Problem is it seems the ultrawide QD-OLED Samsung panel monitors all have issues with ambient light making them look grey instead of black according to reviews, and LG’s 45” ultrawide WOLED panel to gets kinda treated as yesterday’s display tech. Is it better to just hold off and enjoy my IPS ultrawide for another generation of monitors to release, or is it still just that much better than everything else anyway?

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Apr 5, 2023