Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Volcott posted:

I just want to grill for God's sake

"Yes," I said as I laid the final brick. "For God's sake!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if you look this guy isnt even old enough to have been in high school in 2002, he went to high school in like 2010-2012

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Endorph posted:

if you look this guy isnt even old enough to have been in high school in 2002, he went to high school in like 2010-2012

It's a time honored fascist tradition to fantasize about what they imagine life was like in a time when, at best, they were small children

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I don't remember having much of a reaction to 9/11 seeing as how I'd literally never heard of a single building in New York other than the Statue of Liberty, and I don't think I knew that that's where that was. I do remember asking my parents in like 2003, 2004 if Saddam Hussein was going to fire his chemical weapons over here and kill us all. I was picturing like a giant lawn sprinkler firing a big spray of death gas across the entire continent.

zakharov posted:

There are bands whose lyrics are opaque or subtle enough you can project whatever politics on them.

RATM is not one of those bands.

They said SOME of those who work forces! Not all cops! Clearly supporting my "one bad apple" position. How does that saying end, again? Forget it, it's probably boring.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I could get behing RATM's politics if they weren't awful to listen to.

\/\/ holy poo poo I just got it :five: \/\/

credburn has a new favorite as of 22:09 on Apr 5, 2023

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Fister Roboto posted:

"Yes," I said as I laid the final briquette. "For God's sake!"

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Context: VladTV is a..."reporter"? who covers a lot of rap news. His show is notorious for having rappers come on and "self-snitch" (like bragging about crimes or gang affiliations, which is obviously of interest to the cops).

https://twitter.com/Masongham/status/1643370084314890240
https://twitter.com/BookerOnTidal/status/1643370986920882178
https://twitter.com/Masongham/status/1643372217810427905
https://twitter.com/Masongham/status/1643372666508779530

:confused:

Bonus funny response:
https://twitter.com/CadillacGroup/status/1643413762769076224

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Read After Burning posted:

Context: VladTV is a..."reporter"? who covers a lot of rap news. His show is notorious for having rappers come on and "self-snitch" (like bragging about crimes or gang affiliations, which is obviously of interest to the cops).

https://twitter.com/Masongham/status/1643370084314890240
https://twitter.com/BookerOnTidal/status/1643370986920882178
https://twitter.com/Masongham/status/1643372217810427905
https://twitter.com/Masongham/status/1643372666508779530

:confused:

Bonus funny response:
https://twitter.com/CadillacGroup/status/1643413762769076224

Worth it for that last tweet, lol

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Dabir posted:

I don't remember having much of a reaction to 9/11 seeing as how I'd literally never heard of a single building in New York other than the Statue of Liberty, and I don't think I knew that that's where that was. I do remember asking my parents in like 2003, 2004 if Saddam Hussein was going to fire his chemical weapons over here and kill us all. I was picturing like a giant lawn sprinkler firing a big spray of death gas across the entire continent.

Mr President, good to have you here.

quote:

They said SOME of those who work forces! Not all cops! Clearly supporting my "one bad apple" position. How does that saying end, again? Forget it, it's probably boring.

People keep saying this, which makes me wonder if "work forces" is some phrase I just had never heard, because I didn't know what it was supposed to mean until like two years ago in this thread.

Like, I thought it was work (noun) forces (verb).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I guess I'm the nerdy kid who actually read the lyrics sheets that were included in the CD, even if you didn't understand "work forces" (I didn't) the rest of the songs lyrics have enough context clues to make it obvious it's about cops being racist. Or you could watch the music video on MTV back when MTV showed music videos.

God drat I'm old ranting about physical CDs and watching actual music videos on MTV.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Byzantine posted:

Mr President, good to have you here.

People keep saying this, which makes me wonder if "work forces" is some phrase I just had never heard, because I didn't know what it was supposed to mean until like two years ago in this thread.

Like, I thought it was work (noun) forces (verb).

Why- why would you think that instead of verb then noun? That's how English usually works. Nevermind, the grammar is convoluted: "Forces" refers to the police force, possibly military/etc. Some of those who work (for the police) forces.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

My entire high school went into lockdown for 2 hours one morning in 1999 after a goth girl from my friend group stayed home sick, administration thought she was planning to do a copycat shooting.

Same principal who's speech to my graduating class was how we were like geese, and geese need to flock together, stray geese don't survive or succeed. She loving hated counterculture youth and harassed us for being weird constantly.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

teen witch posted:

I find forced institutionalization to be my literal hell but Christ has there ever been an intervention for [Glinner]? Surely his family

Gonna stop you right there.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

I've been meaning to ask, why is he called Glinner? I just kinda assumed it was some nickname that my Yank rear end didn't understand. :ohdear:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

I've been meaning to ask, why is he called Glinner? I just kinda assumed it was some nickname that my Yank rear end didn't understand. :ohdear:

His full name is Graham Linehan so it's a nickname based on that. 'Glinner' was his twitter handle I think? Meh.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It's the meal you eat between glunch and dinner.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

It's the meal you eat between glunch and dinner.

Don’t curse hobbits with being TERFs they don’t deserve it

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

HopperUK posted:

His full name is Graham Linehan so it's a nickname based on that. 'Glinner' was his twitter handle I think? Meh.

To be clear, because I know Americans struggle with names, Linehan is pronounced "linn-uh-hun". Not "lyne-han".

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Dabir posted:

To be clear, because I know Americans struggle with names, Linehan is pronounced "linn-uh-hun". Not "lyne-han".

:doh: That's totally what was tripping me up, thank you!

Graham Norton is a guest judge on Drag Race UK, and apparently the UK viewers go insane when they hear Rupaul pronounce his first name, haha.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Uh.

Now you're gonna tell me my username pun makes no sense in UK

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008
I guess it don't make sense in Australia either

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Dabir posted:

:doh: That's totally what was tripping me up, thank you!

:same: It was messing with my mind too.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Data Graham posted:

Uh.

Now you're gonna tell me my username pun makes no sense in UK

I literally only realised it was a pun when you posted this.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
It's the brits who pronounce things wrong. Invented the loving language and can't speak it right, shameful.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

americans when gloucestershire: "why do you have all the letters if you're not pronoucning them"

americans when graham: "i love the metric system"

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
No American has ever thought about anywhere in England that isn’t London

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I should change it to Kilograham, that way everyone's reaction to me at first sight can be anger

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

CharlestheHammer posted:

No American has ever thought about anywhere in England that isn’t London

Sometimes I'll say "Liverpudlian" but the context is invariably the Beatles

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001
How do you get "left" out of "lieutenant"?

Is it an anti-French thing?

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

The fear over massive war with draft immediately after 9/11 wasn't an insane thought process. Historical record shows that all Afghan wars are slogs that cost thousands. The public was being told of these vast cave fortresses, where they stored a fleet of Soviet Era tanks. We were being told that every professional Muslim fighter was coming to counter us. The Admin had taken a hard line rhetorical stance, and the Axis of Evil speech felt like a promise.

Starting in 2002, when Iraq was being built as n enemy, there was legitimate worry that he would use chemical weapons on US troops- we knew he had them (not the WMD bullshit we peddled; we rolled in there with a general idea of how much he had from what we gave/sold/supplied in the 80s). He had learned from the Gulf War, and that this time we would take down the regime. Even in Kuwait, during the build up, there was real, genuine concern that we were going to get hit with Nerve Agent.

I don't think a HS teacher thinking his kids might get drafted wasn't the realm of the Cloud Cuckoo, just as a more distant point in possible reality.

I was already enlisted by 9/11 (Feb 2001), and no one doubted my career path was set in concrete. One teacher spent the entire 90 minute class on Smedley Butler and his famous work "War is a Racket". She later told me it was her attempt to steer me right, "or at least away from the loving Infantry", as she later said.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

My favourite ignorant American thing is when they do the "look at me, I'm bri'ish, my name's Reginald Silverstein IV" like that's not the most American name there's ever been

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

cult_hero posted:

How do you get "left" out of "lieutenant"?

Is it an anti-French thing?

it's a class shibboleth, a way to separate the poors from the rich from the post-literary (where the rich fled when the poors started to read)

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Dabir posted:

My favourite ignorant American thing is when they do the "look at me, I'm bri'ish, my name's Reginald Silverstein IV" like that's not the most American name there's ever been

Man it is so easy to make Brit’s mad but it doesn’t make it any less funny

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I did find it very funny every time Jeremy Clarkson made up a fake redneck American name and it was always Something Something The Third

We're both all spiderman-pointing.jpg about those generational suffixes

(Americans probably do it in shallow imitation of why they think British nobility does it, but the pattern and the cultural/historical background is all wrong, so to Brits it just looks nonsensical)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Dabir posted:

I mean, Silverstein is a Jewish last name and we've had a lot of Jewish immigrants both historically and especially in the 30s, but I don't think Reginald is a common first name among that demographic.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

now ask a Brit to pronounce pasta

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

hawowanlawow posted:

now ask a Brit to pronounce pasta

northerners will fight southerners over how to do that

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Air Skwirl posted:

I mean, Silverstein is a Jewish last name and we've had a lot of Jewish immigrants both historically and especially in the 30s, but I don't think Reginald is a common first name among that demographic.

Only tangentially reminds me of one of the only Family Guy non sequitirs to absolutely slay me every time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0obEjXwSKTQ

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

northerners will fight southerners over how to do that

Wars have been started over pronouncing "pecan."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I will physically fight anyone who doesn't think my user name rhymes with girl.