Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Joke Miriam posted:

So do Russians equate Nazis primarily with treachery for betraying their pact of friendship?

Not really, they mostly just ignore or explain away the M-R Pact, and have created a national myth around heroic resistance against, and defeat of, nazi Germany. Which, fair enough kind of. It's not dissimilar to the national myth of the US doing the same thing, except Russia suffered a while lot more.

However the former alliance is left out of the equation, as is the fact that US lend lease was the reason Russia want snuffed out completely by the nazis.

Also, how they raped and murdered their way across Europe on the way to Berlin, their massacres while allied with the nazis, their attempt to conquer Finland and Poland while allied with the nazis in a war of clear aggression, and when the war was finally over how they decided that the half of Europe they had 'liberated' was now theirs to establish a brutal and tyrannical government over, setting the countries in question back decades in a blatant act of cultural genocide and shameless imperialism. All of which are big reasons why their closest neighbors in eastern Europe tend to hate them so much

Play fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Apr 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Play posted:

Not really, they mostly just ignore or explain away the M-R Pact, and have created a national myth around heroic resistance against, and defeat of, nazi Germany. Which, fair enough kind of. It's not dissimilar to the national myth of the US doing the same thing, except Russia suffered a while lot more.

However the former alliance is left out of the equation, as is the fact that US lend lease was the reason Russia want snuffed out completely by the nazis.

Also, how they raped and murdered their way across Europe on the way to Berlin, their massacres while allied with the nazis, their attempt to conquer Finland and Poland while allied with the nazis in a war of clear aggression, and when the war was finally over how they decided that the half of Europe they had 'liberated' was now theirs to establish a brutal and tyrannical government over, setting the countries in question back decades in a blatant act of cultural genocide and shameless imperialism. All of which are big reasons why their closest neighbors in eastern Europe tend to hate them so much

I've seen zillions and zillions of explanations why the Molotov-Ribbentropp Pact was some heroic option- including the notion that the USSR was saving Eastern Poland. It's all just a load of poo poo, it's like Lenin trying to justify bending over backwards more and more for the Germans, who were going to topple him anyway- they had the divisions ready to go and planned to do it and were very fortunate that the WW1 ended when it did.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Play posted:

But I was lead to believe that USSR was a bastion of left wing good people whoe cared for their neighbours.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Tai posted:

But I was lead to believe that USSR was a bastion of left wing good people whoe cared for their neighbours.
Terms and conditions apply!

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
I just concluded a visit to the European Centre of Solidarity in Gdansk. I knew a lot of the story, but not all. Very much worth a visit. It also showcases very well the kind of regimes the Soviets propped up across Eastern Europe, and thus why there is so much animosity towards Russia.

Here is a picture from an exhibit of anti regime graffiti.

Russians go home

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
The pro-Russian propaganda campaign on Youtube is interesting to watch unfold. This channel which was just about the cars various African celebrities were driving got hijacked at some point and starts posting UKRAINE WILL LOSE posts:

But whatever script is generating the sharing of stuff from one channel to the other has a bug where sometimes the '5 minutes ago' timestamp from Youtube gets put into the title. All the good coders must have left Russia by now.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

CeeJee posted:

The pro-Russian propaganda campaign on Youtube is interesting to watch unfold. This channel which was just about the cars various African celebrities were driving got hijacked at some point and starts posting UKRAINE WILL LOSE posts:

But whatever script is generating the sharing of stuff from one channel to the other has a bug where sometimes the '5 minutes ago' timestamp from Youtube gets put into the title. All the good coders must have left Russia by now.

In the meantime, actual russian propaganda is busy promoting the American MIC:

https://i.imgur.com/ZX7P0WV.mp4

(it's cut off because of imgur but you can imagine how it goes)

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

The_Franz posted:

Russia really shattered the illusion of economic interdependence ensuring stability.

I feel like this is one of those zombie ideas that will never truely die

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

The last thing that guy approves better be a case of Rip It’s and charms candy.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

China wants Russian oil and European markets? Uh, no. They don't have any imperialist ambitions, they're a peaceful and good Communist country that is just being painted as evil by the perfidious west and NATO allies. How easily you fell for the American pro-imperialism propaganda! Ah ha~! Russia, as their ally, is also a force for good, and will revert back to being the USSR once Ukraine is cleansed UH I MEAN liberated. :silent:

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I got plenty of "Russian oil" if you know what I mean :ocelot: :grin:

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Putin is a real piece of poo poo.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

CeeJee posted:

There's a good chance that's intentional, people are much more likely to click stuff if you make them think it's brand new

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

If you'd told me this was a republican campaign video for why we need to shovel money into Lockheed martin, I would of 100% believed you up until the blood ink, lmao. holy poo poo.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Flavahbeast posted:

There's a good chance that's intentional, people are much more likely to click stuff if you make them think it's brand new

It's like channels who name themselves things like "4.7M views"

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Drone_Fragger posted:

If you'd told me this was a republican campaign video for why we need to shovel money into Lockheed martin, I would of 100% believed you up until the blood ink, lmao. holy poo poo.
Hey, they can go home any time.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

mobby_6kl posted:

If only we could get all govt procurement docs approved with a nice raspberry reduction.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

mobby_6kl posted:

It's pretty wild that the weapons being supplied to Ukraine are directly causing their deaths. The amount of fratricide must be crazy.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

shadow puppet of a posted:

The last thing that guy approves better be a case of Rip It’s and charms candy.

The last thing he approves is cruelty-free, bloodless ink stamps.

Driftingmouse
May 26, 2021

by Fritz the Horse
No one has posted this yet so...

https://twitter.com/disclosetv/status/1643597744362102784

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

I mean NATO requires you to have no territorial disputes before you can join. Only way they could is to officially cede all occupied territory to russia, or, remove russian forces from their borders. It's one of the reasons the russian "seperatists" are parked in Georgia.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Drone_Fragger posted:

I mean NATO requires you to have no territorial disputes before you can join.

There’s no such rule, just a custom. Entry has to be approved by all members, anyway, so it’s not like any rule would matter if they didn’t want it to.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Should really rename the thing "Vlad Putin's Expanded, Stronger NATO Alliance"

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Tiny Timbs posted:

There’s no such rule, just a custom. Entry has to be approved by all members, anyway, so it’s not like any rule would matter if they didn’t want it to.

Yeah, NATO does not want to be dragged into somebody's border dispute, so getting your borders settled is typically one of many conditions NATO will set before even considering membership. As you say, not an official rule, but a pretty firm one nonetheless.

That's one of the big reasons Ukraine is unlikely to accept any peace deal that leaves Russians on their soil.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

shadow puppet of a posted:

Should really rename the thing "Vlad Putin's Expanded, Stronger NATO Alliance"

Putin's own alliance thingy should be called "I Can't Believe It's Not NATO"

Except it effectively collapsed already. So I kinda can :haw:

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
I think a good chunk of Ukraine wants to change the Oligarch lite system they have. Speaking to Ukranian friends over the years, they all hate it. Will they get rid of all corruption fully? No, some will linger. Will racism still exist, gently caress yes it will be there simmering away much like everywhere else. But the majority wants to change and they should be given the chance to walk that path and not be grinded down by putin. The fact that they had a gay pride recently and a senator(MP, congress?) putting a bill forward for gay marriage is good. People might laugh it off as playing the good person for more ammo but it's a loving start.

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum
China joins NATO just to shut Putin the gently caress up with nuke talk and to push them out of Ukraine so THEY can join NATO.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1643702297992519683?s=20

plz clap

mobby_6kl posted:

Russia saw all the Chinese propaganda making the US MIC look good and realized they couldn't allow a gap

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Tai posted:

I think a good chunk of Ukraine wants to change the Oligarch lite system they have. Speaking to Ukranian friends over the years, they all hate it. Will they get rid of all corruption fully? No, some will linger. Will racism still exist, gently caress yes it will be there simmering away much like everywhere else. But the majority wants to change and they should be given the chance to walk that path and not be grinded down by putin. The fact that they had a gay pride recently and a senator(MP, congress?) putting a bill forward for gay marriage is good. People might laugh it off as playing the good person for more ammo but it's a loving start.

Its an awful way for it to happen, but sometimes countries emerge from a crisis like this on a much better trajectory then they'd been before. Italy after WWII, Rwanda after the genocide, etc.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
ha ha that ad is badass the american mic companies should run it in the states, i guess with some logos added or something

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Zippy the Bummer posted:

ha ha that ad is badass the american mic companies should run it in the states, i guess with some logos added or something

The buy now click out prompts reveals that there is, actually, a US Blood Stamp Ink procurement pipeline

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
Approve the burger king truck you cowards. Or did the Taliban capture that too?

Renreeja
Oct 11, 2007

drat he needed alot of corn syrup to approve the f-22s

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Zippy the Bummer posted:

Definite "Republican attack ad is Democratic talking points" vibes there, other than the tone the information is presented in everything involved is 100% A+ USA

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
this is an absolute unit of a uav

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Renreeja posted:

drat he needed alot of corn syrup to approve the f-22s

I love the smell of subsidies in the morning

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Tai posted:

Why is there a dog icon on twitter? I don't actually care but holy poo poo that people are melting down about it and it's funny as gently caress. Just curious as to why it's there.

Because Musk is 6 months away from achieving Dark Lord of Ravenloft levels of ironic torment.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

mobby_6kl posted:

Better soundtrack:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uPoDNEn3I0

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

mobby_6kl posted:

Russia is basically the one country that can't criticize anyone regarding arms proliferation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1643524273032527873
Terrorist Girkin says that the fighting stalled out again in Bakhmut and Avdiivka. He also bitterly adds that they couldn't even hold their positions in Mar'inka.