Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Presto posted:

I mean, I was around during this time so...

I was in Dallas on November 22, 1963

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Presto posted:

so what

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

a fatguy baldspot posted:

I was in Dallas on November 22, 1963

:synpa: 1000

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

How could I be ignorant of those events if I was a child at the time? :smug: checkmate

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Hitler killed 6 million Jews, the restoration of capitalism killed 7 million Eastern Europeans, so who was really worst?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
the USSR may have been in an irrecoverable spiral during Gorbachev's tenure but nothing I've read about him before or after the collapse suggests he even thought that let alone that he was trying to ameliorate it

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Gorby got totally ripped off on the NATO deal too. He asked if, once he forfeited anything he could use to prevent NATO expansion, if NATO was going to expand and was told "No." Then NATO expanded. Whoops!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I thought they agreed to a moratorium on expansion for some time period and NATO waited until after that expired and then expanded because of course they were going to. I am not a history-knower really though.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

I thought they agreed to a moratorium on expansion for some time period and NATO waited until after that expired and then expanded because of course they were going to. I am not a history-knower really though.

if this is correct then he was really hustled

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Presto posted:

ok gorbs

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

NATO never agreed to anything about expansion (beyond a promise not to station nukes in the former East Germany) and former Warsaw pact countries were already trying to join by 93

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

NATO Expansion: What Gorbachev Heard

quote:

Declassified documents show security assurances against NATO expansion to Soviet leaders from Baker, Bush, Genscher, Kohl, Gates, Mitterrand, Thatcher, Hurd, Major, and Woerner

S. Secretary of State James Baker’s famous “not one inch eastward” assurance about NATO expansion in his meeting with Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev on February 9, 1990, was part of a cascade of assurances about Soviet security given by Western leaders to Gorbachev and other Soviet officials throughout the process of German unification in 1990 and on into 1991, according to declassified U.S., Soviet, German, British and French documents posted today by the National Security Archive at George Washington University

Although according to what I skimmed, all of the assurances were always in reference to the Soviet border. Once the Soviet Union dissolved, well that sounds like a different negotiating point!

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Was it gorbachev who got taken to a random safeway on a state visit and got so stunlocked he had to insist this was some special amazing grocery store potemkin

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

quote:

Not once, but three times, Baker tried out the “not one inch eastward” formula with Gorbachev in the February 9, 1990, meeting. He agreed with Gorbachev’s statement in response to the assurances that “NATO expansion is unacceptable.” Baker assured Gorbachev that “neither the President nor I intend to extract any unilateral advantages from the processes that are taking place,” and that the Americans understood that “not only for the Soviet Union but for other European countries as well it is important to have guarantees that if the United States keeps its presence in Germany within the framework of NATO, not an inch of NATO’s present military jurisdiction will spread in an eastern direction.

Of course, once 1993 rolled around and the Soviet Union literally did not exist and hadn't since December 1991, well that was a different landscape. Looks like Gorbachev should have gotten a different promise.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

promises aren't worth poo poo anyway, he didn’t get anything in writing

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

projecthalaxy posted:

Was it gorbachev who got taken to a random safeway on a state visit and got so stunlocked he had to insist this was some special amazing grocery store potemkin

A bunch of people representing countries that literally wanted to turn every inch of Russia into irradiated glass described over the phone a picture of a western grocery store and that was enough.

indigi posted:

promises aren't worth poo poo anyway, he didn’t get anything in writing

lmao a letter in writing to the supreme soviet wouldn't have stopped a thing, especially since the supreme soviet no longer existed.

that being said, he Gorbachev gave everything away for nothing. Not even a letter in writing!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ukraine got the US and Russia in writing as defending their sovereignty in exchange for giving Russia the former Soviet nukes, and that didn’t really help them as much as they might have imagined when signing it.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

bedpan posted:

A bunch of people representing countries that literally wanted to turn every inch of Russia into irradiated glass described over the phone a picture of a western grocery store and that was enough.

Turns out I was misremembering. It was Yeltsin in 1989

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

Ukraine got the US and Russia in writing as defending their sovereignty in exchange for giving Russia the former Soviet nukes, and that didn’t really help them as much as they might have imagined when signing it.

well yeah, that agreement was made when Ukraine had a nuclear arsenal. Once Ukraine surrendered the arsenal, that made the agreement obsolete.

A great whoops moment of international diplomacy

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

lmao how had i never seen this

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Osama canoed away

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
*pointing at late 90s Russia* wow can you believe communism did this

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

projecthalaxy posted:

Turns out I was misremembering. It was Yeltsin in 1989

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I just noticed hes looking at freezer pops and chocolate sauce lol

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Waow Jello pudding pop. King in the castle, king in the castle.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The fudgecicle is not on trial here

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Gorbachev the loving idiot, probably called them fudgicles

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Private Cumshoe posted:

can't believe he opened up to trade

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!
So when Poland or Baltics applied for NATO, the correct answer would have been gently caress you, you have always been part of Russia?

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Fish of hemp posted:

So when Poland or Baltics applied for NATO, the correct answer would have been gently caress you, you have always been part of Russia?

The correct answer would've been to disband NATO when it accomplished its missions of integrating Germany into a unified Europe and destroying the Soviet Union

The only reason not to do that is if the west intended all along to never cease antagonizing Russia

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

ClassActionFursuit posted:

The correct answer would've been to disband NATO when it accomplished its missions of integrating Germany into a unified Europe and destroying the Soviet Union

The only reason not to do that is if the west intended all along to never cease antagonizing Russia

Oh yes, innocent little Russia can only react without any agency of her own. Glad we agree on that.

But NATO didn't disband so what would the correct answer been for Baltics and Poland?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Fish of hemp posted:

Oh yes, innocent little Russia can only react without any agency of her own. Glad we agree on that.

But NATO didn't disband so what would the correct answer been for Baltics and Poland?

dont care about your shithoile country tbh

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Fish of hemp posted:

I'm not sure what you're looking for here. NATO will take anyone who also wants to destroy Russia. That's the reason for its existence post-Cold War. If Tahiti wanted to join that's fine too. Literally anyone can join except Russia. It's the No Girls Allowed treehouse with Girls crossed out and Russia written over it. Why would they turn away anyone?

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
No Russias. They're allowed to have one (Ukraine)

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Just remembered the Liz Warren barbershop, run by the guy who was later terrorised by a satanic Airbnb, and lol'd

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

the sex ghost posted:

Just remembered the Liz Warren barbershop, run by the guy who was later terrorised by a satanic Airbnb, and lol'd

Right next door to charlie kirk's liberal coffee shop where people were always declaring things

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

projecthalaxy posted:

Right next door to charlie kirk's liberal coffee shop where people were always declaring things

i thought that was some other chud “the resistance” who never washed his hair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

the sex ghost posted:

This guy went on to get hired by Bernie in 2020