Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Solarin posted:

only problem being you need to do all those deranged ‘kill 10,000 turtles’ achievements to max out the bonus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
It’s pretty dumb but yeah the game functions on a never ending checklist anyway so, can’t be too surprising. Just glad the procs that have no reason to exist are gone! It bugged me from a game lore perspective for dumb brain reasons of that poo poo isn’t classic. My dumb melee shouldn’t have innate magic procs because I punched a thing enough time, I should however be able to hit more weak spots and do a better job of killing the next few thousand.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

TSS, Crescent Reach and Blightfire Moors the mushrooms you can break open count for that.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

All I know is I’d become a MQ2 user overnight if I was in a position where I felt like grinding these was worthwhile.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
I had a lot of the achievements done just from playing the game. The people who will have to go back and regrind some of that stuff probably rushed through their xping with pots, stuck to the min/max xp spots or if they tradeskilled they bought their mats. But engaging with the game normally I have them done with the exception of table flipper.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

the worst ones i'm missing both require TDS progression, brooms and dinos, the rest is just table flipper, some player races, and turtles for some reason

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Yiggy posted:

They’re starting to address the proc bloat. They revamped bane strike recently so that’s it’s a flat %dps increase and no longer proc based which rolled out last patch about ten or so days ago.

yeah but then they added a new one in the anniversary aug. left hand doesnt know what the right hand is doing etc. banestrike being changed lowered the lag on rizlona alot im hoping by the time we hit live in 2yrs they will have mostly figured it out and stoped the item guy from adding a proc to every item and aug slot in the game. esp swarm pet procs

if youre on a tlp you can do the a force of nature once omens opens. table flipper is easily done in nek over a few nights afk with some type of social to target cocoon pet attack while standing next to the 5 piles by the stone. the rest are just grinding for alittle bit. you can finish all of em in voa. which opens for riz and aradune in sept irc

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
I had a look on test at the new UI scaling - its very early days and theres only a couple of windows it works on, but I liked what I saw. I've been running at 1080p forever as the UI gets too tiny (other than chat font size), so as a test I increased the resolution and as expected the inventory window got tiny - then I used the scale option and it grew nicely and still looked fine.

I'll be shopping for a 4k monitor when they get it ready for live.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

koreban posted:

TSS, Crescent Reach and Blightfire Moors the mushrooms you can break open count for that.

CR is how I got it. Sat a bard next to a group of very fast respawning mushrooms and had him play AOE songs for a while. Just make sure you don't do it afk, since you can be suspended or banned for that.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
Update: Still not banned, but there is a live dupe of some sort happening atm. Turn your plat into krono ASAP, prices are either already spiking or already have on your server. Tons of money to be made with a bit of patience now

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
I've been trying to think what the trick is going to be for the new TLP considering its something they may put into live.

The only things that occurs to me are,

Some zone auto-scaling - hopefully not as this as it kills the whole idea of progressing and increasing in strength.

A change to allow people of vastly different levels group togethor - I know we have shrouding but thats a bit meh

Make all no-drop loot into heritage so it can be traded with characters on the same account

Personal picks for exping

People have talked about 'any race/class' but that would mean almost everyone playing an Ogre for the stun immunity, and other suggestions don't really fit with be added to live like bst/zerker/mercs earlier.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Baconroll posted:

I've been trying to think what the trick is going to be for the new TLP considering its something they may put into live.

The only things that occurs to me are,

Some zone auto-scaling - hopefully not as this as it kills the whole idea of progressing and increasing in strength.

A change to allow people of vastly different levels group togethor - I know we have shrouding but thats a bit meh

Make all no-drop loot into heritage so it can be traded with characters on the same account

Personal picks for exping

People have talked about 'any race/class' but that would mean almost everyone playing an Ogre for the stun immunity, and other suggestions don't really fit with be added to live like bst/zerker/mercs earlier.

i have bolded my long-time dream for this game, I REALLY wish I could sync down to play with lower level players but still play my class without just making a lowbie-playing-with alt

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
New rule set announced. Its essentially TLP easy mode. Normal loot.

Edit: The big innovation, in line with easy mode, is encounter locking. So, no more DPS racing. That doesn’t mean no toxicity it’ll now be a race to engagement and those using eyes will have an edge even if they aren’t playing a trio of e bolting necros. Maybe rangers will have a sort of edge in being able to engage and lock from a distance? Arrow launches faster than a bolt. I suppose that matters on say hill giant hill but much less in frenzied room.

Yiggy fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Apr 5, 2023

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Yiggy posted:

Looks like another skip year for me. Mischief clone 2024 I’ll be there day one!

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Yiggy posted:

Edit: The big innovation, in line with easy mode, is encounter locking. So, no more DPS racing. That doesn’t mean no toxicity it’ll now be a race to engagement and those using eyes will have an edge even if they aren’t playing a trio of e bolting necros. Maybe rangers will have a sort of edge in being able to engage and lock from a distance? Arrow launches faster than a bolt. I suppose that matters on say hill giant hill but much less in frenzied room.

At first I recoiled at the idea of a non-toxic TLP. Then I realized encounter locking is just like charming a PH except anyone can do it.

I could kite Quillmane for hours!

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Exactly. They're naive if they think this will end toxicity. Its going to flower in new, interesting ways. If I play a mage on that server, gonna keep a stack of throwing daggers on me and have the skill maxed. And like you said, South Karana is gonna be a poo poo show of tagging quillmane and kiting until you find a buyer.

Edit: Actually no, that reminds me. They implemented a time drop at some point which I've noticed while damage shield power leveling. After a certain amount of time a mob will just drop agro if you haven't killed it and it hasnt killed you.

Also, while on the subject, encounter locking will eliminate a common form of powerleveling. Which won't matter given the abundance of bonuses I suppose, but still.

Yiggy fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Apr 5, 2023

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

Yiggy posted:

Exactly. They're naive if they think this will end toxicity. Its going to flower in new, interesting ways. If I play a mage on that server, gonna keep a stack of throwing daggers on me and have the skill maxed. And like you said, South Karana is gonna be a poo poo show of tagging quillmane and kiting until you find a buyer.

Edit: Actually no, that reminds me. They implemented a time drop at some point which I've noticed while damage shield power leveling. After a certain amount of time a mob will just drop agro if you haven't killed it and it hasnt killed you.

Also, while on the subject, encounter locking will eliminate a common form of powerleveling. Which won't matter given the abundance of bonuses I suppose, but still.

Cant you still hit the locked mob? its just like the normal loot locked mobs? Its just first to smack gets x amount of time before deagro

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

PyRosflam posted:

Cant you still hit the locked mob? its just like the normal loot locked mobs? Its just first to smack gets x amount of time before deagro

The description says you cant deal any damage or cast any spells on a locked mob. So honestly I have no idea how that will apply to the agro table. Ferreting out those nuances is probably the one interesting thing about the server in my opinion.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
Seems like a solution within limitations of their spaghetti code, there really isn't any better way to prevent KSing that they can actually implement without larger expansion on instance servers, pickzones, etc.

This is probably going to be a server I roll and casually mess around with. The extra exp, faction, coin, just, everything, seems to really suggest it's just going to be less hours required to do grindy things. The legacy effect to give bonus exp on your account is.. interesting but not very practical IMO, but i'm also not the kind of person to level more than one or two per account.. maybe if relaxed truebox was at launch there would be more of an incentive to build different teams up.

I can't help but think this server might be a pass for a lot of the usual jerks? What reason is there to play for them if it's just more of the same, but easier / less brute force capable. I don't see this server a good krono farm with increased drops.. that's going to be a real one-two month burst of asshattery, then probably die down.. that's my guess.

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Apr 5, 2023

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Yiggy posted:

The description says you cant deal any damage or cast any spells on a locked mob. So honestly I have no idea how that will apply to the agro table. Ferreting out those nuances is probably the one interesting thing about the server in my opinion.

Wait, this is going to serious screw a ton of powerleveler schemes. I already love this TLP.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
It's depressing that the feature of a new server is that it includes an attempt to curb toxicity. That should just be a standard part of any server.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Node posted:

It's depressing that the feature of a new server is that it includes an attempt to curb toxicity. That should just be a standard part of any server.

:wrong:

Very curious to know how FD training will work.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

DisgracelandUSA posted:

:wrong:

Very curious to know how FD training will work.

As initially described at least, the mobs should go back (locked) to their spawns before they unlock. If that means nothing gets on the agro table then sounds like no training.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013

Node posted:

They mentioned that if it works here, its something they would roll out to live servers as well prior to announcing what it was.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

I think I'll give it a try.

I've played the last couple TLPs for a bit. I usually end up in some guild and the people are annoying and then I quit.

I wish we had the numbers for a goon guild.

I played in a EQ2 goon guild way back in the day and it was a blast.

I did a necro and druid 2 box on Yelinak. I got to 50 but quit before Kunark launched. Hopefully this year I stick around more. I have a decent chunk of Krono stashed from farming Hill Giants for hours and hours at least. I don't have the stomach to farm for krono like that again.

Kinda thinking of playing a Ranger. And something else to box with it.

Malaria fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Apr 5, 2023

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Malt posted:

They mentioned that if it works here, its something they would roll out to live servers as well prior to announcing what it was.

However it is ambiguous if it refers to this or the legacy character xp bonus. Which seems more likely to be implemented across the board (from my perspective at least) than something like encounter lock which feels like a radical change.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

That server sounds absolutely terrible. It is funny that they dedicated an entire server to stopping the PL bot crews though.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

onesixtwo posted:

I can't help but think this server might be a pass for a lot of the usual jerks? What reason is there to play for them if it's just more of the same, but easier / less brute force capable. I don't see this server a good krono farm with increased drops.. that's going to be a real one-two month burst of asshattery, then probably die down.. that's my guess.
Zaide had a post up on the forums begging for Free Trade to be enabled from the jump on the new server. I wouldn’t count on the assholes skipping this one.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

What a disappointing TLP. Might as well just download EQEmu and play solo locally if you want that much carebear ez mode. Might stop a couple of popular PL methods, but it's sure not going to keep jerks from arriving. This looks to be the easiest server ever made to be a jerk on? You can 2023 Fansy a whole zone for days and nobody can even steal your mobs or put them into summon mode. Spread out a couple bard boxes and nobody can touch anything within a mile from whatever you want to permalock

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

So the krono farmer meta is gonna go to having a stack of mages pre casting rains and /pet attack scripting on top of the named spawn point I guess.

I appreciate what they’re trying to do (sort of) but they don’t understand the depravity of the hyper aggressive EQ lifers who get off on dominating the game for ego/profit.

And if the design makes this so mobs will always leash back to spawn on reset like WoW, I don’t think they understand how much that will change the feel of the game.

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

A new emulated server launched a few days ago that has a kind of different, but interesting take on the classic formula. Most notably, it supports multi-classing which makes for some interesting build potential.

It’s been pretty fun so, and I’d like to play with other goons. It’s called Chainbreaker, if anyone is curious. If you’re already playing and want someone to group with, or just getting started and could use a hand, feel free to PM me

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Theres bound to be unintended consquences - will be interesting to see what they are. I'd guess it will end up being even more griefing, or raids using out-of-raid pullers to take advantage of the 'lose agro go home' to split mobs.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.
Looking at the changes deeper this causes so many issues:

- You cant help low level toons much at all. Spells work, but the best way to level now is to make a group of twinks
- Low level Plevel game will now be getting a toon just high enough don't get xp, but killing mobs is trivial to the group members and the group members still get XP. Kinda like having a mage pet owning a zone I guess.
- Camped items will require you to actully camp with a force able to kill the mob, efreeti for example is so camped that you win by DPS race today. now you actully have to be able to kill him too.

Best I can tell they want the lower level game to be more populated. This is of course forgetting that they also keep people stuck in Classic / Kunark for way to long and maxed toons almost totally stop doing anything but end game farming and raids due to the lack of AAs for ever.

At least Ill be happy the Krono farmers will stop / adapt. So much spam

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Several people have been pointing out a possible raid cheese: have a monk/bard train pull zone trash out of the way, run raid through and park, drop agro and lock and let the mobs walk back into place. No trash clears. In theory.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

PyRosflam posted:

Looking at the changes deeper this causes so many issues:

- You cant help low level toons much at all. Spells work, but the best way to level now is to make a group of twinks
- Low level Plevel game will now be getting a toon just high enough don't get xp, but killing mobs is trivial to the group members and the group members still get XP. Kinda like having a mage pet owning a zone I guess.
- Camped items will require you to actully camp with a force able to kill the mob, efreeti for example is so camped that you win by DPS race today. now you actully have to be able to kill him too.

Best I can tell they want the lower level game to be more populated. This is of course forgetting that they also keep people stuck in Classic / Kunark for way to long and maxed toons almost totally stop doing anything but end game farming and raids due to the lack of AAs for ever.

At least Ill be happy the Krono farmers will stop / adapt. So much spam

People won't use bard tanking for low level PL, it'll mostly be ye olde fashioned damage shields, and full support crews for buffs (Enc, Shm, Cle, Mag/Dru) for non-stop pulling. This was where we normally got post-mistmoore on Aradune/Yelinak before switching to just trad group with outside support.

I don't think there were folks camping mobs before couldn't kill them, but the DPS race was real. With first to engage, any highly desirable camp will be pained soul on its worst day with folks precasting rains and latency races to be first to engage.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
just gunna park a bard somewhere and play the aoe slow song and keep the camp nbd lmao

auction loot rights in ooc while you seelo's around and send the group invite once someone meets your price

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Yiggy posted:

Several people have been pointing out a possible raid cheese: have a monk/bard train pull zone trash out of the way, run raid through and park, drop agro and lock and let the mobs walk back into place. No trash clears. In theory.

That’s already a thing in a large enough zone.

That said, I read the announcement about the damage locking to the group that initiates the fight. I didn’t see where it said the mob wouldn’t get aggro from out of group sources, or that it couldn’t damage out of group players.

Which opens up a whole other vector of potential griefing, but for the sake of the point I’m trying to make, if a group pulls a named, and someone out of group does aggro things to it, it may still behave as normal, just that the out of group aggroer wouldn’t be able to contribute damage to the mob.

If they responded in a thread somewhere that aggro is fixed only to the puller and their group/raid, I missed that post.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

koreban posted:

I read the announcement about the damage locking to the group that initiates the fight. I didn’t see where it said the mob wouldn’t get aggro from out of group sources, or that it couldn’t damage out of group players.

If they responded in a thread somewhere that aggro is fixed only to the puller and their group/raid, I missed that post.

They vague posted once in the producers letter and opened the comment to response. It’s unclear in every direction. Their description doesn’t indicate how agro table (or many other aspects like oog healing) will work and so we’re all conjecturing basically.

They did say that mobs will go back to spawn and then reset. So it would be off to maintain agro through that event and would make everything super trainy, so I’m personally skeptical but then again I wouldn’t be surprised if they implemented that kind of poo poo show.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe
I’m just thinking about it from a development perspective. It’d be harder to change behaviors significantly to make mobs zero aggro until they return to spawn and reset, versus just making mobs invulnerable to out of group aggro, but maintain all other functionality.

But yes, it’s all speculative at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Yiggy posted:

This is already doable. We did this ALL the time in the Test server raid guild. Most of the plebs were too useless to be trusted to run through the zone in time, so we just had all the knights/clerics DA train while a few mages ran into position and coh'd everyone else. It's the only way we ever finished revamped NToV. I'm betting the reason it's not more common is that most raid guilds find it faster to simply plow the trash . This is just going to make it even easier and safer than it already was.

I'm guessing they're going to yank all of the encounter locking straight from Everquest 2, which has had it forever. If so, the mobs will be fully unaggro-able by anyone else until they've completely returned to their spawn point. I can't wait for all the drama