Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Fentry posted:

I was bored and bought 2k23 to play through the career mode and I can't believe how half-assed and short it is, what the hell kind of a career mode ends at loving Summerslam?

Lex Luger's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Suplex Liberace posted:

you can come over and play Smackdown: Shut your Mouth with me still. I will be hollywood rock
Hollywood Rock is in HCTP

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

drat if you meant here comes the pain this whole time then i guess i'll pick ultimo dragon or hillbilly jim.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Fentry posted:

I was bored and bought 2k23 to play through the career mode and I can't believe how half-assed and short it is, what the hell kind of a career mode ends at loving Summerslam?

Aren't there two story modes?

I wouldn't know because I prefer not playing the game I paid 100+ dollars for. I'm not even kidding

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Edit: wrong thread

CopywrightMMXI fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Mar 29, 2023

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

1glitch0 posted:

Lex Luger's.

:iceburn:

Universe mode not being broken is almost enough to grab this when it's 20 bucks

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Cavauro posted:

drat if you meant here comes the pain this whole time then i guess i'll pick ultimo dragon or hillbilly jim.

drat good match but you cant slop elbow drop me today

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

only 4 specials left. almost took everything u had. maybe next time

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

maybe ultimo will do you better next time

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

my only shot is 2v1. ultimobilly jim the dragon

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
he comes out to a banjo rendition of Separados

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Cavauro posted:

my only shot is 2v1. ultimobilly jim the dragon

well i tried but you dog walked me this time

Can someone whos play this game before tell me how to get on to the apron? Not being able to copy wrestlers to edit them is also a big wtf. I wanted to make ultimobilly jim the dragon but not from scratch. Who wants to play next?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Cavauro posted:

only 4 specials left. almost took everything u had. maybe next time

U think ur special

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN

"We removed this very basic feature because we felt like it, we might get around to fixing it in a couple years, but i doubt it, enjoy endless MyFaction patches while Royal Rumble and Survivor Series matches remain broken. Universe will get another update in 2k27 if we get bored."

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

A grand tradition of working from the YUKES codebase is figuring out, at the time the game has to ship, what elements of the engine still cause it to collapse, and walling off those elements to maintain a semblance of stability. They’ve gotten pretty good at it, for the most part. The game’s as stable as it’s ever been, and most of the things they had to cut / hide are pretty marginal.

Incidentally, WWE2K23 is listed as “unsupported” on the Steam Deck but it does actually work quite well, there is just one thing to keep in mind if you’re interested in playing it via that platform: the effects of frame limit tinkering, which is recommended for most games on the Deck to maximize battery life, is more pronounced in 2K23 than in any other game I’ve ever played on the platform. Meaning, if you set the refresh rate to 40fps, it cuts the actual speed of the gameplay by 30%. Meaning, guys will move and fall in slow motion.

I’m not sure if this is due to the lovely codebase (you usually only see refresh rate bugs with very old games like Deus Ex, or games that tie their physics to frame rate) or if it’s something that happens a lot with sports games generally. But you have to run the game at 60fps, and as a result it will hit your battery pretty hard. So not a great mobile game.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Mar 31, 2023

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Made a new highlight reel / intro for my fed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POiZw7Mqt6M

Don't worry about anything that happens after 2 minutes in, that part is there for live production reasons.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

IGgy IGsen posted:

Made a new highlight reel / intro for my fed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POiZw7Mqt6M

Don't worry about anything that happens after 2 minutes in, that part is there for live production reasons.

Lets get crazy!

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

It’s kind of crazy how much easier and faster the visual bits of CAW are in 2k23 now that total and partial randomization is better integrated and (especially) custom images load into preview much, much more quickly.

But then moveset creation still feels like it takes a million years even when you’re copy-pasting everything but sigs/finishers.

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN
AI is doing better, Hogan, Hall, and Nash won a WarGames hitting all their finishers simultaneously

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/convergexx/status/1642994942267064320

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Got an Amazon update on Fight Forever. Jan 3rd, 2024! Same date as Metroid Prime 4!

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
oh that game isnt ever coming out

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi
Maybe I’m weird, but I liked Smackdown 2 despite the slow speed, and the pausing while it loaded guys into the engine. Getting more CAW parts because you beat up a freak that was random parts thrown together? Great, ship it. Just give me that story mode again, and I’m good.

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Watched some Royal Rumble sims and holy moly simming on 2K actually looks actually kinda viable. Madden and NBA2K gives you a good facsimile of a simmed game with the cast of characters all playing their proper roles and it's good DubDub has caught up to that standard, at least.

All Star Pro Wrestling 3 also looks amazing. Thanks fellow wrestling game hipsters, I'm diving right in.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

KungFu Grip posted:

oh that game isnt ever coming out

They are going to have to cancel that pre-order to get rid of that 20%/$12 Prime Gaming Discount from 2018…

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 52 minutes!
I need to buy even more DLC for Fire Pro. Mother of God.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

In a bout of good timing, Cody Rhodes will be back on the AEW roster by the time Fight Forever comes out.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Antitonic posted:

Maybe I’m weird, but I liked Smackdown 2 despite the slow speed, and the pausing while it loaded guys into the engine. Getting more CAW parts because you beat up a freak that was random parts thrown together? Great, ship it. Just give me that story mode again, and I’m good.

I remember loving smackdown 2. I played the storymode all the time and it would just keep going. I'm pretty sure I got to the year 2022 lol. Also the random events were wild. In one show I joined dx then got beaten up and kicked out by the end of the show.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
It was clear that the game was never coming out after they put the word forever in the title

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Well, the last game that tried that came out eventually.
It was only.... mmhhh..

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Goons, I need a wrastlin game. I got this hankering a couple years back, bought Fire Pro, and then realized though it was extremely cool, its low production values were an impediment to my enjoying it. Def not trying to yuck anyone’s yum as it were, I think it’s an elegant game and all, but I discovered that as much as I wanted to be the kind of person who’d tweak and tweak and perfect and watch my little dudes battle it out, I just am not that person.

This overblown preamble is just me venting a bit.

So, any detailed thoughts/impressions of 2K23 would be greatly appreciated. I don’t trust reviewers. But I know that the extruded wrestling video product has been lackluster here lately. If 2K23 sucks poo poo, what’s the best feeling, most modern game one could expect to pick up for Switch/Series/PS4?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

BurningBeard posted:

Goons, I need a wrastlin game. I got this hankering a couple years back, bought Fire Pro, and then realized though it was extremely cool, its low production values were an impediment to my enjoying it. Def not trying to yuck anyone’s yum as it were, I think it’s an elegant game and all, but I discovered that as much as I wanted to be the kind of person who’d tweak and tweak and perfect and watch my little dudes battle it out, I just am not that person.

This overblown preamble is just me venting a bit.

So, any detailed thoughts/impressions of 2K23 would be greatly appreciated. I don’t trust reviewers. But I know that the extruded wrestling video product has been lackluster here lately. If 2K23 sucks poo poo, what’s the best feeling, most modern game one could expect to pick up for Switch/Series/PS4?

if you want modern and high production value, 2k23 and other 2k are p much your only options.

Wrestling Empire is my go to but it revolves around laughing at its extreme jankiness.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

2k23 is legitimately good. The wrestling feels good, it has a lot of game modes, and the CAW is good.

It still has some bugs that suck and can ruin things, but it's their best game in years and years.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

WWE 2k23 is a huge step up from 2k22.
I hate how long it takes to create someone but if you just wanna use real life characters you can download then I don't think you'd be hurting for it.

Not sure how it plays since I'm a degenerate e-fedder and I basically only use 2k to make CAWs to sign up to various feds but it sims much better than 2k22 did even if you ignore stuff like AI sliders and the likes and don't want to tweak everything minutely to fit some ideal.

It really all depends on whether you like the gameplay I guess and I can't comment on that unfortunately.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Kvlt! posted:

if you want modern and high production value, 2k23 and other 2k are p much your only options.

Wrestling Empire is my go to but it revolves around laughing at its extreme jankiness.

I'll second both 2K23 and Wrestling Empire. Empire is extremely jank but the actual wrestling aspect of it feels pretty good once you get the controls down, although it remains jank as hell and honestly that's a big part of the charm because somehow the jank and the good stuff come together to form a hysterically funny and insane wrasslin game.

2K23 is shockingly good, and I say that as someone who has been playing this series of games since it was just called Smackdown (SD2 to be exact was my start). It looks amazing, the controls aren't immediately intuitive (and that could just be that I've been playing this franchise of games for 20 odd years now) but the tutorial at the start of the game is really good and once it clicks, it starts to get actually fun to wrestle.

I usually play these games on the hardest difficulty possible and I've been playing 23 on Normal and it's a decent challenge compared to any of the previous games at the same difficulty.

Creating characters does take forever and a day, but that's been a thing with this series for a while now as they've expanded on the create a wrestler suite. Making movesets takes forever as well but the load times are better than they've ever been for the creation modes, and if you're being lazy it's pretty easy to toss together a moveset with just one of the pre-made sets and some minor adjustments to personal taste (such as finisher/signature, taunts).

2K23 is good, and there are always guides online that will list out what all the create an entrance/movesets are for you so you have a better idea of what something like "Wrestling Hero" actually means in the context of it being the name of a moveset or entrance.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I’ve seen a lot more good about 2k23 than bad. If it goes on sale at some point I might pick it up. It’s been ages since I’ve even tried playing a wrestling game. I love the spirit of Fire Pro but the gameplay has never grabbed me.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

honestly i love the spirit and gameplay of fire pro but the striking has completely ruined it for me. Maybe I just suck but even a bunch of time in practice mode I just can't get it down, and the whole "wait for the opponent to square up to the hitbox" trick can work but makes striking wicked unfun.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I’ve been playing FirePro literally half my life but I get how it would be hard to jump into now. I rarely use strikes other than grapple strikes.
However it is easy to lose yourself in the workshop and simming matches.

Mpire is wild and full of features but I don’t see how anyone enjoys the controls — unless it’s just for mercilessly beating what might as well be a absent second player.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Snacksmaniac posted:

I’ve been playing FirePro literally half my life but I get how it would be hard to jump into now. I rarely use strikes other than grapple strikes.
However it is easy to lose yourself in the workshop and simming matches.

Mpire is wild and full of features but I don’t see how anyone enjoys the controls — unless it’s just for mercilessly beating what might as well be a absent second player.

My Empire character just does overhead suplex throws on guys, throws them over the ropes and into the tables and sometimes the crowd, in between shows he wanders the streets drinking and usually ends up sleeping on Joe Rogan’s table after assaulting him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
You'll definitely get your money out of wrestling empire. It's a decent wrestling game that is also absolutely hilarious. You can kill someone in a match (or by say throwing them in front of a subway), attend their funeral and throw someone through their coffin, then kill someone else at their tribute show. I killed Andre the Giant by giving him a German suplex over the top ropes and through the metal ring stairs. I played that character so long it started generating new characters, one of which had to face me in their first match. I did the same thing to them, severely injuring them and reducing their already poor stats into the 40s. They were basically Mass Transit.