Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!
I fired up Hardspace Shipbreaker on gamepass last night just to check it out and ended up playing for almost 2 hours. It’s fun! Very chill, just taking apart spaceships and launching them into recyclers. Not the most engaging thing in the world, but I found it very relaxing floating around with a laser and slicing things up. It’s super boring and not for everyone, but if you’re into work simulators I recommend it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

No one say it

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Silksong when? :twisted:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Silksong is real.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

The Pirate Captain posted:

I fired up Hardspace Shipbreaker on gamepass last night just to check it out and ended up playing for almost 2 hours. It’s fun! Very chill, just taking apart spaceships and launching them into recyclers. Not the most engaging thing in the world, but I found it very relaxing floating around with a laser and slicing things up. It’s super boring and not for everyone, but if you’re into work simulators I recommend it.

I started it a few days ago and it’s good. It gets a bit deeper as your certification level gets higher and you deal with more hazards and bigger, more complicated ship layouts. Sometimes it’s kind of a puzzle figuring out the fastest/safest way to dismantle a ship, but it’s still very chill and low pressure (no pun)

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Just upgraded my PS5 with 1TB of SSD storage for $85.

Xbox needs to step up.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The PS5 doesn't have enough games to fill one SSD. Sounds like you just wasted $85.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Silksong is real.

Never heard of it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I've dreamed of it, and I believe this is a premonition to the upcoming Microsoft/Bethesda showcase. You can mark it down.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
My only beef with Hardspace is that it is definitely a case of the devs overpromising on features and scale and then hitting a wall on what the engine could actually do. It’s great fun for what it is but what was promised initially was way way bigger.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Sounds like Sony is doing a pro console at the end of 24. Wonder if MS will also do one. Seems kinda early for that but who knows.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Wiltsghost posted:

Sounds like Sony is doing a pro console at the end of 24. Wonder if MS will also do one. Seems kinda early for that but who knows.

But .... Why?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Wiltsghost posted:

the source for this seems to be insanely bullshit op

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Wiltsghost posted:

An actual engineer who posts in this thread described why pro consoles this generation are unlikely. Stop reading clickbait.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I feel like they're already pretty ambitious with the current top-end console prices, especially when you consider how the US dollar is doing better now than it was in 2013 so other countries are getting hosed hard this gen; anything that's an upgrade for Series X or PS5 would cost over $1k easily in Canada, for example, and have similarly "nope" levels of sticker shock pricing elsewhere. 2016, when the PS4 Pro released, is about when we started having a significant number of games where there were appreciable limitations with the PS4's performance, where devs really had to know what they were doing to make a game that looked good run at even 1080p30 (e.g. that's when Witcher 3 and Final Fantasy XV were released; 2017 saw RE7, Prey, and AC Origins). Right now pretty much every Series X/PS5 game will have at least a 1440p60 mode that looks fantastic and that's well into "good enough" territory for almost everybody. The boosts a pro console would grant are more of the 1440p->4K, 60fps->120fps, and advanced ray tracing types. The 120fps mode would require people to have TVs that are still somewhat rare and that few people even know about, especially since it literally has no use case except for Series and PS5 consoles (there are no benefits from it with Netflix or live TV), and the other two modes are ones people would regularly fail to Pepsi Challenge identify which is better, especially in motion.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
I can barely tell the difference between 60 and 120, I got a 120hz TV so that both 60hz games and 24hz movies would look good. When I put Uncharted 4 between 120 and 60 modes what I mostly notice is the worse graphic quality in 120. 40hz with ray tracing is the sweet spot for me if I can’t get 60.

I definitely see the difference between 30 and 60. But I went to a friend’s house who just got a 4090 and was running games at 4k/144 and I could barely see the difference between that and the same game on my LG C1.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

I don't think it's needed, feels like games haven't even used the consoles to their full potential yet.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Given the economic realities of the current age, it's probably more likely that we have another longer-than-usual generation like the PS360 generation's decade-long reign during the GFC.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

The Kins posted:

Given the economic realities of the current age, it's probably more likely that we have another longer-than-usual generation like the PS360 generation's decade-long reign during the GFC.

Joe Brandon has ruined graphics

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Riven posted:

40hz with ray tracing is the sweet spot for me if I can’t get 60.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!

priznat posted:

My only beef with Hardspace is that it is definitely a case of the devs overpromising on features and scale and then hitting a wall on what the engine could actually do. It’s great fun for what it is but what was promised initially was way way bigger.

What more had they promised?

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Bunch of indie games announced for game pass today. I'm at work so I can't post what they are but a few for late April.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Another huge win for the game pass haver

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

The art style looks pretty neat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEO9GQr4-3Q

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Bumhead posted:

Graphics standards are fluid. Pixel pushing and the perception of what makes games visually relevant have consistently changed for decades.

What hasn't changed is that 60fps feels great to play. 60fps is why games from 30 years ago still play just as well as they ever did, regardless of how their graphics were received at the time or look like now.

As soon as a graphics option lowers my frames I turn that poo poo straight off.

Couldn’t agree more.

Love that these games will have the potential shiny ray tracing high fidelity modes for future hardware that can do that at a high frame rate. But it’s “performance mode” for me every time.

Makes me wonder what they’ll call the next Xbox…

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Wiltsghost posted:

Bunch of indie games announced for game pass today. I'm at work so I can't post what they are but a few for late April.

https://www.ign.com/articles/idxbox-showcase-april-2023-everything-announced-and-revealed

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Cassette Beasts and The Explorator both look cool.

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I thought I was dead. But I think I'm Cleopatra, too.

Riven posted:

I can barely tell the difference between 60 and 120, I got a 120hz TV so that both 60hz games and 24hz movies would look good. When I put Uncharted 4 between 120 and 60 modes what I mostly notice is the worse graphic quality in 120. 40hz with ray tracing is the sweet spot for me if I can’t get 60.

I definitely see the difference between 30 and 60. But I went to a friend’s house who just got a 4090 and was running games at 4k/144 and I could barely see the difference between that and the same game on my LG C1.
I guess it depends, but I played both of the newer Dooms on my LG CX in 120fps mode and could definitely tell the difference from 60fps. Same with the RE2/3/7 updates last year on PS5. I think it’s a YMMV thing but given the choice I’d rather play stuff at 120fps at this point, though 60 fps is still really adequate

TBH I’m still capable of enjoying games at 30 fps, replayed Bloodborne this year and it still felt nice to play, and that’s sub 30 fps lol

GuyonthecoucH
Apr 10, 2004

120hz feels so much better for FPS games, this has been true since Quake and I'll sacrifice everything to get smooth input. I will say that a controller feels much better at lower frame rate than a mouse, 60hz is fine for most things with one.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Oh it’s definitely YMMV. I’m not saying high frame rates are worthless for everyone, just that I am not particularly sensitive to it. I tended to play things on Quality mode, even action games like Spider-Man on PS5, because it bothered me more to lose the visuals of that then losing the 30 frames. Hence 40 frames with the quality being the sweet spot for me. But I CAN see the difference between 30 and 60. Between 60 and 120 I have to really squint. But I know other people who are the opposite. Dropping to 1080 is worth it to them for the higher frames because they’re bothered otherwise.

I’ll also note that I don’t play a ton of FPS. I played casual Overwatch for awhile a few years ago. The shooter I have put the most time into in my life was Splatoon 2.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

The Pirate Captain posted:

What more had they promised?

Much much larger ships was the biggie, like extremely large capital ships/freighters.

It’s super fun as it turned out and it was just a rookie mistake that they let it be known what they were planning before fully figuring out it would be actually doable :haw:

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.
Overwatch and Halo feel better in 120 Fps and I'm sure Apex would if they supported it, but I don't need it for anything single player. I turned it on for Doom Eternal and promptly swapped to RTX/60.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
I notice high frame rates more with a mouse than with a controller. I can tell the difference between 60 and 120 easily with both but 120 and 165 feel the same to me with a controller.

I almost always choose performance modes over quality modes assuming something resembling stability.

I will buy whatever Pro consoles are released because I'm an idiot. I don't see it happening, though.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
The real pro console move from MS would be discontinuing the Series S

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Buncha good poo poo in there thanks for the link.

I've been playing Ghost Song for a while since someone in this thread recommended it. I'm nearing the end and I've really enjoyed it. I especially like the writing and voice acting, and the music. Fun and challenging gameplay, too.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The number of retro turn-based RPGs out there makes me happy. I just got Cosmic Star Heroine and This Way Madness Lies, I guess I should get Cassette Beasts, too. When I get my Xbox, anyway.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

The number of retro turn-based RPGs out there makes me happy. I just got Cosmic Star Heroine and This Way Madness Lies, I guess I should get Cassette Beasts, too. When I get my Xbox, anyway.

Play Unchained Echoes which is on game pass, dammit!

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Barudak posted:

This. It’s really good.

kneelbeforezog
Nov 13, 2019

Barudak posted:

I believe its called Chained Echoes. Also can you download hitman 1,2,3 separately on gamepass or is it bundled? same question for halo collection

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
HITMAN on Game Pass is the World of Assassination version, which contains every level from all the games. It clocks in at 80GB.

For MCC I don’t think there’s a way on console to selectively pick which games you want before it downloads. The only way is to download the entire 120GB package. You might be able to uninstall versions you don’t want at that point, I’m not sure since I don’t have it installed. I know that’s the way it works in the PC version though.