Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Just Chamber posted:

Not sure about you but the first thing I care about in my cartoony video games is who/ what the characters are loving

Replace all synergy charts with an Excel spreadsheet that details who will gently caress who and who will not gently caress who

Fake edit: oops new page snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<

dogstile posted:

Gonna go out on a limb here and say that maybe lgbt people can be more than just "my sexuality" first.

E: And by that i mean none of my gay friends ever really want to be introduced as "Paul, the gay".

That’s a bit disengenous as they have buried all the LGBT stuff and didn’t even release it in places where it’s illegal (not that I expected them to). We are talking about cartoon characters in a video game and not real people.

It’s good that they can be open about it now, but they purposely buried it on tracer and soldier. Not to mention it felt like it was only announced to distract from all their controversies.

E: are you agreeing with me because they literally introduced Lifeweaver that way?

Lord Packinham fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Apr 5, 2023

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I also think the lore and character traits leading to fan works (including R34, let's be honest here) are making them more money and community outreach than the gameplay is. This isn't to say the creative teams aren't fighting for it, but it continuously comes across like the the cynical bean counters are steering the ship by bullet point.

Gorgeous Mohammad
Oct 15, 2009
They should have made him part of Talon and gave him a mutant thorn hand instead of a giant flower backpack thing. A handsome charismatic guy would have rounded them out.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Between Cassidy and Baptiste, maybe Reaper just hates guys prettier than he is in his organisation.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Father Wendigo posted:

Blizzard: "We have to nerf Roadhog's Hook even further with every patch, it's just too powerful and ruining the game!"

Also Blizzard:

e: LifeHeaver

this is like the concept you come up with to pad out a list of good options because it's so stupid that surely no one would ever pick this one

then they picked this option

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I wish there was a Tank that was good against Orisa. Even though I'm an Orisa main myself.
I'm just so extremely tired of Tank v Tank counter-pick wars ALWAYS ending up in an Orisa mirror.

My friend group refers to it as "evolving into a crab" because that's what it feels like.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Zarya and Sigma are good

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Altared State posted:

Zarya and Sigma are good

They're okay vs Orisa.
I have never felt threatened by a Zarya unless my team was feeding her charge AND my supports were bad. A javelin between the bubbles usually solves the issue.
Sigma and Orisa feel like they're on a fairly even ground. She can't do much against him, and he can't do much against her. Hardly a counter.
I'd even argue that Orisa has a slight advantage in that she is immune to and can cancel his ult fairly easily.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I feel like like the Orisa rework is one of the biggest mistakes they made going from OW1 to OW2. They took the slowest tank in the game that was designed to hold space down and gradually take space and changed it into a super aggressive, high movement speed tank that is WAY too strong offensively for a tank character and just essentially bullies characters in other roles, making it unfun to play the game against her; she makes too many agro plays that can't be punished as hard as they should be able to be punished.

They probably could have changed some things about Orisa's kit, while keeping her similar to the way she was before (yeah, they claim to want to move away from shield characters while the most recently added tank has one for some reason) and designed a completely new tank around the idea of charging in and pushing characters around, to give the game more variety, but they essentially wasted that design space and overwrote an old character that was probably fine into one that exemplifies a lot of the negatives of the 6v6 to 5v5 change.

Not to say the hero isn't without flaws, she isn't so OP that she is instant-slam. It's just more of an OP in the sense that she is super unfun to play against in many scenarios.

BabyRyoga fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Apr 6, 2023

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
It was really funny watching everyone say the orisa rework owned while they were playing her and effortlessly mowing through teams without thinking about what that's like for the other players, though.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

dogstile posted:

It was really funny watching everyone say the orisa rework owned while they were playing her and effortlessly mowing through teams without thinking about what that's like for the other players, though.

Hell yeah

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

dogstile posted:

The whole game has generally been a "Wow, this owns" for a period of like maybe a month or two, before realizing that there's just a lot of anti-fun going on.

Tanks being too oppressive (certain more than others). Widow (and Sojourn) being too oppressive. Limiting map pools with really poorly designed maps/modes taking up too much real estate within those pools. Heroes being over buffed (and then over-nerfed, RIP hog), because the design team doesn't understand the basic concept of buffing/nerfing ONE thing at a time. The whole thing reeks of complete balance issues, and I think a lot of people don't understand that "balance issues" don't necessarily equate to such and such character being S tier, or whatever. The important thing to consider is, "Is this character fun to play?" and the even more important thing to consider is, "Is this character fun to play AGAINST." I'm sure ITT we could all make our own separate lists of things that are anti-fun in OW2, and I'm sure there will be a lot of overlap.

They lured people in for an income boost (most of whom have already quit playing the game in these first 6 months), and the game will probably continue to be profitable, so that's what matters, right? Why make a 9/10 game when you can make a 7/10 game that generates more revenue.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I don't think Orisa needs to be changed. She fills a very good role of being a wall that doesn't stop, like a proper tank should, and it's not like she's OP. Her kill potential is bad and there are plenty of DPS and Support characters that can counter her easily.

My specific issue that there aren't any Tanks than have an advantageous matchup against her, so a Tank player can do nothing to improve their chances of winning against an Orisa.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Jack Trades posted:

I don't think Orisa needs to be changed. She fills a very good role of being a wall that doesn't stop, like a proper tank should, and it's not like she's OP.

Again, consider what OP means. It doesn't mean the hero is busted beyond all belief, simply that there are parts of the hero's kit that are unfun to play against or not particularly well balanced.

quote:

Her kill potential is bad

Said no one ever about any tank in OW2, except maybe Hog lately. You can basically javelin 200hp or less heroes into a wall and kill them from full health in the 1 second or so stun time if they don't get a heal or bubble or something. The combo potential on these tanks is too high; people complain about the Hog hook + headshot + melee combo, but not the Sigma rock+primary combo, or the javelin + headshots combo, or the Doom punch+ double headshot combo. There's just too much damage coming out from them.

quote:

My specific issue that there aren't any Tanks than have an advantageous matchup against her, so a Tank player can do nothing to improve their chances of winning against an Orisa.

Isn't that a good thing? There is supposed to be less counterplay in this game. If the game were actually designed well, you'd swap to complement the way your team is playing or to better match the overall comp of the enemy team, not because you want to counter one hero on the enemy team, or gain an advantage in that way.

Even if you like the way Orisa is now, you'd be a fool to make the argument that the game would be worse off if they simply kept her mostly the same way she was before with some more moderate tweaks, and added a completely new tank instead that played similar to the current Orisa.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

BabyRyoga posted:

Again, consider what OP means. It doesn't mean the hero is busted beyond all belief, simply that there are parts of the hero's kit that are unfun to play against or not particularly well balanced.

What?
"Overpowered" doesn't mean "Unfun to play against".
Just because fish live in the water doesn't mean that everything that lives in water is a fish.

BabyRyoga posted:

Isn't that a good thing? There is supposed to be less counterplay in this game.

Just because a developer said so doesn't make it true.
They haven't done anything to make the game less about counterplay. Playing Tank is more about counterplay than ever, and all of their new characters they have added since they said that all either require hard counterplay or are a hard counter play to something else themselves.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Apr 6, 2023

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Hey, I don't think that many of us would deny that 90% of the stuff that comes out of the dev's mouths is complete garbage, fair point. But that's not particularly relevant, because ideally, you'd always want the game to be less about counterplay and more about simply playing better. If the game were counterplay focused, you want larger hero pools and pick/ban phases which is an entirely different can of worms.

Do you consider Widow to be an OP hero? Picking her doesn't particularly gain you any inherent advantage. Yet, the character basically ruins games because she is poorly balanced. I don't think the issue with any of the tanks in the game right now is anywhere near the same level of OP as Widow, but there are a lot of OP threads that just make playing against tanks in general very unfun.

Consider Winston, a well designed tank. A good Winston, with good synergy, against a team unwilling to adjust their play against him can be oppressive, but not so much that he is unfun to play against. You can always position better; there are usually things you can do as an out, even on a hero like Zen that is extremely diveable. Winston has high combo potential; you can charge a shot in the air, land on someone, beam them, and finish with a punch. Compare that to combos from Orisa, Doom, Sig which are way less fun to play against. Are all these cases OP? Probably. They don't completely break the game, though, they just aren't well balanced with regards to other elements in the game.

Also consider, that maybe ALL tanks are OP, which is essentially the big balance problem with the game in general. If they are all OP, in a sense, they aren't OP at all because each team gets exactly one OP tank, and therefore that balances it out, right? Wrong. There are so many different types of problems that arise from this on every level, and every meta level.

BabyRyoga fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Apr 6, 2023

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
I’m just here for the PvE that will never come out.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I'm just sad that full charge zarya can't beam down orisa.

She should get a bonus vs armour or something because she legitimately should be the "gently caress you orisa" counter. Instead she's just kinda there. It's a shame too because my Zarya is genuinely scary as gently caress, but she's just been perpetually nerfed, if not by numbers, by how the rest of the cast is getting buffed. Especially with Rein shatter just popping her bubble and shattering her anyway.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I'd be a lot happier if Zarya and Sym both got some kind of bonus to beaming down any 'blocking' hero, like Orisa in jav spin, doom blocking, ram blocking, etc.

That would be more counterplay, though. But it would make a lot of sense, especially against doom and ram. They should take full beam damage while blocking.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
It's a hero shooter, not having counterplay is a dumb idea anyway. Whatever blizz is smoking is loving potent.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Imo they should put a support with a spinfusor in the game

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I still want a support who can just straight up rocket jump, like full old school jump map crazy stuff. They've apparently decided mobility is the support Thing so it's fine.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I read your post about how they should do Soldier from TF2 as a support and thought it was a drat good idea

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Chillgamesh posted:

Imo they should put a support with a spinfusor in the game

SHAZBOT

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Season Four trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4b7DtgOQ_A

New Mythic is "Galactic Emperor Sigma"

EDIT:
- Brig rework with large shield as ultimate (?)
- Cardboard Armour Reinhart skin (in the shop though)
- Apparently the Battlepass is "Space Opera"

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Apr 6, 2023

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Uh hey what's going on with this Brig extendo-shield?

https://i.imgur.com/fwg6joW.mp4

Also we have yet another Akira Slide, add it to the compilation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9hCzjBc7Q4

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

It's probably Brig's new ultimate.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Press Q to OW1, with the double tanks.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHNCBN3fSXE

press Q to go back to 2018

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Countblanc posted:

it's insane it doesn't work like that. if you change classes in a respawn it should send you to the most recent one instead of... just not being a respawn anymore i guess

thank you based Blizzard

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

gently caress yeah!

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

gently caress yeah!
RIP Mercy, back to being a Moira one-trick for me

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

With the Mercy change, Lifeweaver's healing output looks extra pathetic now.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Is this supposed to be space opera Evil Empress or off-brand Evil Queen from Disney's Snow White?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Father Wendigo posted:

Is this supposed to be space opera Evil Empress or off-brand Evil Queen from Disney's Snow White?

Yes

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

With the Mercy change, Lifeweaver's healing output looks extra pathetic now.

idk the utility seems really good on a coordinated team but just at first glance the healing is baaad. and switching between healing/shooting looks clunky

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Aw, I liked the mercy change of increased healing on critical health. Introduced a few new wrinkles to her playstyle and encouraged people to damage boost more instead of sitting on tanks with heal beam. Oh well, easy come easy go.