Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

change my name posted:

A BBEG who wants to use magic to automate away all of the crappy menial jobs

Bioshocks Rapture, except it is the high level Wizards, that are going Galt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

This but wizards.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Mr. Lobe posted:

Yeah, a generally good answer to the question "why aren't wizards solving this" is that they either have better things to do, or feel they have better things to do. Besides, what else are all those mundane peasants going to do with their time besides farm or clean the streets or whatever drudgery isn't being solved by magic?

You gotta figure wizards with the will to greatness have gotta be mostly evil on the balance, and of the remainder, you still get assholes like Mordenkainen who'd consign whole worlds to the abyss if doing otherwise would interfere with his Prime Wizardly Directive.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Nehru the Damaja posted:

You gotta figure wizards with the will to greatness have gotta be mostly evil on the balance, and of the remainder, you still get assholes like Mordenkainen who'd consign whole worlds to the abyss if doing otherwise would interfere with his Prime Wizardly Directive.

Even the ones who bat for Good are gonna be like "I've already saved the world from horrors beyond your comprehension 6 times. Sort some things out for yourselves, I have to learn Force Cage". Because the only thing that can stop a bad archemage with a gun is a good archemage with a gun so he has to get ready for the next one.

Facebook Aunt fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Apr 1, 2023

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

http://designofdragons.blogspot.com/2016/04/wizard-saga-iii-i-cast-therefore-i-am.html

"I am not surprised when wizards become monsters... with all they are given, it is difficult to become anything else."

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
For the Alexandrian Hexcrawl rules, is the "2 in 1dX" check here: https://thealexandrian.net/wordpress/17333/roleplaying-games/hexcrawl-part-4-encounter-tables is that for when doing a March vs a Watch?

e to add: Also I'm not sure when the different hit die come into play, as in rolling for a Watch either a 1d6 or a 1d8. Is this just for modulating the chance of an encounter in a given hex? So if its less likely go to the larger die and if it is more likely go to the smaller die?

e2: Actually now I'm not sure again, it lists the "per day" chance as 66% for a 1d6, and on the "Watches" page a March (8 Hours) is used synonymous with "Per Day" and I don't think a 2 in 6 chance is 66%, a 4 in 6 would be though if it was a 16 hour day or 2 Marches? This seems a little unclear.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Apr 2, 2023

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Facebook Aunt posted:

Even the ones who bat for Good are gonna be like "I've already saved the world from horrors beyond your comprehension 6 times. Sort some things out for yourselves, I have to learn Force Cage". Because the only thing that can stop a bad archemage with a gun is a good archemage with a gun so he has to get ready for the next one.

I have a stock answer prepared for the day when a player decides to ask Elminster or whoever to just do the adventure for them: “If I was the one destined to solve this problem, fate would not have bothered to get you involved.”

In a sadly aborted Out of the Abyss campaign I had a very pious sorcerer who absolutely hated the idea of taking an active role in stopping the demonic invasion but ended up being the one to convince the party they had to stop running and play the heroes because every roadblock in the party’s way was an increasingly obvious omen that the destiny chosen for them was that they were the heroes who would defeat the demons.

Broadly speaking in my group’s Forgotten Realms, if you go from level 1 to 5 in under six months, that’s a slam dunk sign fixing the problem is your job, not Blackstaff’s.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Raenir Salazar posted:

For the Alexandrian Hexcrawl rules, is the "2 in 1dX" check here: https://thealexandrian.net/wordpress/17333/roleplaying-games/hexcrawl-part-4-encounter-tables is that for when doing a March vs a Watch?

e to add: Also I'm not sure when the different hit die come into play, as in rolling for a Watch either a 1d6 or a 1d8. Is this just for modulating the chance of an encounter in a given hex? So if its less likely go to the larger die and if it is more likely go to the smaller die?

e2: Actually now I'm not sure again, it lists the "per day" chance as 66% for a 1d6, and on the "Watches" page a March (8 Hours) is used synonymous with "Per Day" and I don't think a 2 in 6 chance is 66%, a 4 in 6 would be though if it was a 16 hour day or 2 Marches? This seems a little unclear.

There’s six watches in a day, so if you make your encounter check a 1 in 6, you have a 16% chance of having an encounter each watch. Roll a d6 six times and you’ve got about a two-thirds chance of rolling a 1 at least once, meaning you have a 66% chance of at least one random encounter that day.

You use that table as a backwards lookup; decide how frequent you want encounters to be in an area, and then from there work out which dice criteria you should use to simulate that chance, if you don’t want to just always roll percentile dice.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

The dnd movie was really fun, you should def check it out

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Reveilled posted:

There’s six watches in a day, so if you make your encounter check a 1 in 6, you have a 16% chance of having an encounter each watch. Roll a d6 six times and you’ve got about a two-thirds chance of rolling a 1 at least once, meaning you have a 66% chance of at least one random encounter that day.

You use that table as a backwards lookup; decide how frequent you want encounters to be in an area, and then from there work out which dice criteria you should use to simulate that chance, if you don’t want to just always roll percentile dice.

Thanks! To clarify, they wouldn't be making progress and moving during all the watches right? So they only be moving during 1-2 watches unless they decide to Force March? So the other watches are more about if a Monster wonders into their camp?

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Facebook Aunt posted:

The referral to Balder's gate and the picture were the answer. Here is actual lore that exists. Including a link to the game where it is currently on sale.

The rest was just discussion because that's what a discussion forum is for. Looking at the picture reminded me that the bunkhouse in that game is surely not big enough for the number of guards needed to defend a keep. Geez. You don't need to kramer into a thread and be a wet blanket.

Arivia could be more chill about it, but she's right in that all the questions you ask are essentially answered by the picture you posted. You call that map correctly the village and then say the keep needs a village.

The questions you ask arise mainly from the quirks of video game scaling. The bunkhouse in the game is not big enough for he number of guards you'd need to defend a keep, but it is big enough for the number of guards you see in the video game. It's like how the entire province of Skyrim has to be more than just the 50 or so square miles you can explore and its population has to be more than the couple hundred NPCs you can encounter.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Reposting this, as I think it got lost in another discussion, and could use goon advice!

So as PCs tend to do, it looks like they're going to throw my best laid plans in the bin.

For background, the players recently killed an Oni who had been acting as a crime-lord / running the city they were in. Up until that point, he had been the main Baddie the party was aware of. After killing him however, they were summoned before the BBEG (Beholder) as the Oni was one of its lieutenants. The Beholder then propositioned the party with becoming the Oni's replacement in running the city, and providing income back to its syndicate ($75k-$100k gold / month is the requirement). He offered them all sorts of gifts (with ties of course) and basically stated it as 'an offer you can't refuse' and gave them 48hrs to consider it.

Now, as the party is all different flavours of good, I assumed they would reject the offer once away from the beholder, and he'd then become the main foil to the party for the rest of the campaign. However, as we ended the last session, all the players were talking about how they'd generate the funds, and running the drug trade in the city. This of course, means I find myself in a very strange place as DM, as I may now need to completely shift the campaign from adventures and dungeons and such to now simulating running the seedy side of a city.

Any thoughts on the best way to take this forward would be much appreciated, and whether I should try and get them back on track or just run with it.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

You can let them try it for a while then have either the underling the BBEG assigned them, or a rival crew, betray them to fight for their position themselves. Pretty sure I read a book or watched a tv show or movie with that plot beat at some point.

Bonus points if the betrayer betrays them to the local good guys like maybe a church a cleric or paladin is tied to, to get them in trouble that way and on the run from good and bad.

Russad
Feb 19, 2011
Any way you can reframe your other plans using law enforcement as the foil instead? Luke the person above said you could tie it to one of their churches, if that’s relevant. Starts off with a cleric coming around to say they’ve heard troubling rumors, and then escalated.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I just got the idea now that there's like a Villain Agency and villains are assigned to parties of Heroes/Adventurers like its a temp job and how good they do determined how high they rise in the villain rankings; like the opposite of My Hero Academia.

Maybe this could be the premise of a campaign where either the party decides to help the hapless and harmless villain whose been assigned to them, or do a villain game where they need to climb up the rankings for perks and rewards and so on.

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
Sounds like Venture Bros.
I'd be into it.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Make it really obvious that what they're taking over/pushing is particularly unpleasant and turns the city not hooked on it violently against them. Or make it apparent that his monetary ambitions would require pillaging most of the city just to make the first month.

Or just somebody's god gets real irate. Couple of medium rank extra-planars turn up to put the boot in and have a word, set them back on the straight and narrow.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Since they're all ostensibly good-aligned there are a couple ways to tackle this.

If you really wanted to dissuade them, a non-subtle approach like the Cleric having a dream where their Deity is displeased with them, and the next morning they cannot regenerate all of their spell slots (most, but not all) would be a message. But that could easily be seen as being too heavy-handed and railroady.

A more subtle way, though, would be to remind them of what their alignment is suppose to stand for, and to make rejecting the offer come from their own agency. Have them encounter some NPC's who are victims of the organized crime. People whose arms and legs were broken for not paying protection money, women and children on the streets, drug addicts desperate and willing to do anything for their next fix. These are the things which will increase if they join the crime organization. It'll still be the player's choice. If they want to take that path, they'll do it with their eyes wide open.

Or, combine the two into one - maybe do a shared dream sequence (without telling the players that it's a dream) where things start normal, as if they all woke up and are doing their normal business and then things get worse and worse ridiculously rapidly, more tragedy, more victims, more and more and more they're everywhere you turn, and they're chanting "you did this to us" until *poof* the PC's all wake up at once. That might lean into heavy-handed, but it still wouldn't be forcing them.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Apr 3, 2023

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Are we talking fantasy weed, fantasy meth, or fantasy krokodil?

The players live in a world where weed and maybe shrooms are being decriminalized and may regard this as a Good thing. The fantasy black market is bringing a useful product to people who want it. If the players think "drugs are Good actually," then you're going to have a hard time Nancy Reganing your way out of this.

It might be best to go outside the game and have a discussion about what kind of game they want to play. Like a session zero. Do they want to basically play merchants dealing with supply lines and logistics? Do they want fantasy Breaking Bad where they start off with good(ish) intentions and are slowly sucked into the darker reality of organized crime? That could be a cool game, but it's worth talking out of game about what people are hoping to get out of joining the mafia.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Raenir Salazar posted:

Thanks! To clarify, they wouldn't be making progress and moving during all the watches right? So they only be moving during 1-2 watches unless they decide to Force March? So the other watches are more about if a Monster wonders into their camp?

Yeah, I forget if it’s mentioned in these rules or the updated Hexcrawl 5e rules or the Avernus iteration hexcrawl rules, but essentially you make an encounter check for each watch, and if you do get an encounter, you then roll the encounter plus %tracks and %lair (I roll all three at once, a d20 or whatever needed for the size of the encounter table, plus two sets of percentile dice). If you have a travel watch, this determines if the party meets the encounter, it’s tracks, or stumbles into its lair. Since the latter two can only occur on the move, if tracks or lair is the result on a stationary watch, you discard that encounter, thus encounters at night are less likely than encounters on the road.

Though even if unencountered, I do note tracks and lair results all the same for the hex in question, and the next time an encounter triggers in that hex I do a quick 1 in 2 check to decide if the creature encountered is the one they just missed.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

PotatoManJack posted:

Reposting this, as I think it got lost in another discussion, and could use goon advice!

So as PCs tend to do, it looks like they're going to throw my best laid plans in the bin.

For background, the players recently killed an Oni who had been acting as a crime-lord / running the city they were in. Up until that point, he had been the main Baddie the party was aware of. After killing him however, they were summoned before the BBEG (Beholder) as the Oni was one of its lieutenants. The Beholder then propositioned the party with becoming the Oni's replacement in running the city, and providing income back to its syndicate ($75k-$100k gold / month is the requirement). He offered them all sorts of gifts (with ties of course) and basically stated it as 'an offer you can't refuse' and gave them 48hrs to consider it.

Now, as the party is all different flavours of good, I assumed they would reject the offer once away from the beholder, and he'd then become the main foil to the party for the rest of the campaign. However, as we ended the last session, all the players were talking about how they'd generate the funds, and running the drug trade in the city. This of course, means I find myself in a very strange place as DM, as I may now need to completely shift the campaign from adventures and dungeons and such to now simulating running the seedy side of a city.

Any thoughts on the best way to take this forward would be much appreciated, and whether I should try and get them back on track or just run with it.

It seems wholly possible to reconcile this unexpected outcome with your original plans. Your players now have a patron/quest giver that can order them to do basically anything on pain of death, and to whom they owe a shitload of money. You know what's a good way to make lots of quick cash if you have the skills for it? Dungeon diving! They can still go on adventures, just now you have a ready-made money sink in the form of tithes to the Boss, which is good because 5e has jack all for stuff to usefully spend money on. He can even still function as a villain/foil, you just need someone to offer to the party the opportunity to be moles in the Bad Guy's criminal organization and take it down from the inside.

Or, if this is all too much rewriting of stuff, there's always the fallback option of

Facebook Aunt posted:

It might be best to go outside the game and have a discussion about what kind of game they want to play. Like a session zero. Do they want to basically play merchants dealing with supply lines and logistics? Do they want fantasy Breaking Bad where they start off with good(ish) intentions and are slowly sucked into the darker reality of organized crime? That could be a cool game, but it's worth talking out of game about what people are hoping to get out of joining the mafia.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Whatever task the party was originally there to do still requires doing, right? You can always throw more adventuring parties at them. See how happy they are to fight a group of good-aligned people, possibly who share a god with party members.

Reo
Apr 11, 2003

That'll do, Carlos.
That'll do.

Reo posted:

It's not out until March 31st in most theaters, that was a sneak preview event. Glad to hear it's good though!

I want to vent / commisserate a little. I done hosed up. I've been DMing a heavily modified Storm King's Thunder campaign for the past 18 months, and we're finally at the final battle. I took the majority of the boss battle from the book -- They're level 10, and fighting an ancient blue dragon, but they have potions of Giant Size and storm giant allies. Well, in all the preparation of the different elements of the battle, I overlooked that the dragon had a Frightful Presence requiring a DC20 Wisdom saving throw, two of my players have a -1 on Wisdom, and none of them have any class abilities or spells that can end a frightened effect.

If I'd noticed this catch-22, I would have provided them an ally or item or something to mitigate it, because just sitting there doing nothing but disadvantaged long range attacks the whole battle really sucks. But it didn't really dawn on us until the second round of Wisdom saves when they realized "So wait, DC 20? I can literally just never save on this?"

We weren't able to finish the battle in the session, and now have a big break due to scheduling before the final finale. Obviously, this is a case where I just need to adjust and adapt on the fly, and I have solutions in mind, but I know it's unsatisfying either way; either they don't get to help in the battle, or it feels like I cheated and gave them a free pass. It really just left a very sour note on the whole finale.
Following up on this! Both parts, actually; saw the D&D movie and yeah, it was pretty good. Cool to see/recognize lots of monsters and spells and also place names. Can anyone remember where Edgin was supposed to be from?

Then, on the campaign side, we had the final half of the finale and it actually turned out as good as it could've. The dragon did a magic-rending attack (that was always planned as her desperation move) that had ups and downs; all the players' ongoing spells and potions ended, but so did the dragon's, including the fear effect. Then one of the characters who had been stuck frightened, and hadn't drank their potion of giant size, did so, then rolled a critical hit on the dragon, which ended up being 30d6 due to the crit, the potion, and Sneak Attack. Dice justice was served in a cool moment.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

I made a post in the GM thread a few weeks ago but it might have done better here.

I've always used magic items sparingly and tried to keep the "low fantasy" vibe going for as long as possible at lower levels, and in general have never made them an integral part of my loot. I want to change that, but I also want many magic items to be dangerous artifacts, sometimes things that can come at great risk to the user. Sometimes this is intuitive (ie, an item that summons monsters might summon an unfriendly one, or a sword that does more damage but maybe it also cuts the wielder) but often times it's not. At the same time, mechanical debuffs to simulate the idea of "cursed" items feels like it probably just won't end up being fun at the table, especially if I want to make this a frequent thing for magic loot as opposed to a one-off gimmick item.

I've been toying with the idea that maybe a "curse" mechanic involves an attunement slot being permanently stuck on that item until an item-specific, probably lore-related condition is somehow met, and then have loot run the full spectrum from not having conditions, to working but having a condition, to having a diminished effect until a condition is met or finally not working until the condition is met (maybe in the case of rare one-use stuff like a behelit where specific conditions must be met). Does this sound like it could go anywhere? I like the idea of the curse being more of a narrative element than a debuff.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I don't think thats even a house rule, afaik as written you can't unattune from a cursed item until the curse is removed. e: Remove Curse is only a third level spell though so you probably would need to come up with some poo poo if you want curses to be something more than just a single adventure inconvenience

homeless snail fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Apr 6, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'm not familiar enough with 5e to have an opinion on the proposed mechanics, but pitching out an idea for how to include whatever mechanics you go with in a fun and interactive way - though this would only work with the right group:

When a player receives a cursed magic item, the curse imposes a small hidden malus on a different member of the party. Only the player with the magic item knows who it is or its details, and the rules of the curse are that if they tell anyone else, they'll die (or something, whatever - to prevent them from all knowing what curses are going around)

Then, to remove the curse, the player with the cursed item must fulfill some evil faustian pact (or maybe do a good deed, if they're an evil party) - and the player with the item is, again, the only one allowed to know what that is. So, assuming it's a good-aligned party - the pact might be based on the item (a holy sword that has been cursed and needs to drink the blood of innocents) or on the player who received it (The curse whispers to its new Cleric owner that the only way to get rid of it is to secretly infect a town with a virulent undead plague under the guise of offering them healing services)

This could lead to scenarios like a lawful good paladin needing to find a way to convince the party that these innocent civilians are actually evil and need to die by his blade - something that he's doing because he knows the curse is weakening the party's cleric or rogue or whatever, but that the rest of the party can't know. Maybe the Wizard gets a magic item that's adding a small hidden malus to the paladin's Persuasion check - the paladin gets a personal storyline about trying to figure out why the villagers don't trust them anymore, and the wizard gets a personal storyline about having to do whatever evil thing in a clandestine way to help alleviate their friend's suffering.

The challenge would be stopping the group from deciding to just go along with whatever anyone suggests because they know there are curses at play. So perhaps each player only learns about this individually and is not told that other players' curses function the same way, or perhaps if the party is too eager the curse just demands more and more evil deeds.

And of course the maluses would need to be small enough to not make a character non-viable or die to unexpected causes or whatever, but still big enough to impact the party, so probably leaning towards non-combat maluses.

The thinking behind all of this is that, yeah, mechanical maluses kind of suck - but by making it an interactive narrative thing that secretly affects others instead of yourself, there's more of an emphasis to hurry up and rid yourselves of the curse than there is on just building around it or "sucking it up", and it provides the interesting moral choice of "Is my party member's curse more important than [this bad deed]?"

e: Or if your players don't like hidden mechanics: Everyone at the table knows the details of the curse and who it affects, but only one player learns how to remove it.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Apr 6, 2023

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

If I was told that a magic piece of gear would randomly sabotage me or make me follow a bunch of arbitrary rules, it would need to be offering something really compelling for me to want to keep track of it. That is mental space I could have been allocating to managing the party's subcontracted mercenaries instead.

But it is very much dependent on the group. Many players won't think that having a PC (as opposed to a goblin sidekick) activate a Wand of Wonder is a waste of time. You should have a conversation with your players and see what, if any, implementation of cursed magic treasure appeals to them.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Russian Magic Item Roulette

Every time a magic item is used roll a die. If you roll under the number of times it has been used, it explodes. More powerful items get a smaller die.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Have every use of a magic item require a roll on the wild magic surge table :banjo:

Destrado
Feb 9, 2001

I thought, What a nice little city, it suits me fine. It suited me fine so I started to change it.
Require magic items to be fed gold every day to regain their abilities, with extra gold allowing for rarer and more powerful effects.

It'll solve the lack of meaningful economy in 5e, at the small drawback of creating a vicious gacha system.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
Cursed magic items that require a subscription fee. Whenever you unsheathe the weapon, you lose one hit die. Whenever you long rest, you wake with one less level 1 spell slot. Whenever you roll a nat 1, your weapon deactivates until you roll a nat 20 but still uses an attunement slot.

I have recently been running a Wretched Blood Sorcerer from Grim Hollow. Main premise is you are a bad omen to yourself and all around you. The DM has had it where when ever a PC rolls a nat 1, it is my PC's fault and I get a slight boon. It's a great way to curse the party but buff the cursed player.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

I had more or less the same idea, add a cost of some type to the item, be it every day, every time you use it or in some specific moments. You lost spell slots, or hit dice, or HP (as in putting a temporary cap on max HP), or you get an exhaustion level, or get some negative conditions like poisoned, or you get some reduction to some or all saving throws, stuff like this.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Destrado posted:

Require magic items to be fed gold every day to regain their abilities, with extra gold allowing for rarer and more powerful effects.

It'll solve the lack of meaningful economy in 5e, at the small drawback of creating a vicious gacha system.

lean into the gacha idea by introducing multiple different currencies used by the item to power various effects. some should be ultimately purchased by gold, some would need to be based on rarer things. and obviously you'd have loot boxes available for purchase

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

deep dish peat moss posted:

I'm not familiar enough with 5e to have an opinion on the proposed mechanics, but pitching out an idea for how to include whatever mechanics you go with in a fun and interactive way - though this would only work with the right group:

When a player receives a cursed magic item, the curse imposes a small hidden malus on a different member of the party. Only the player with the magic item knows who it is or its details, and the rules of the curse are that if they tell anyone else, they'll die (or something, whatever - to prevent them from all knowing what curses are going around)

Then, to remove the curse, the player with the cursed item must fulfill some evil faustian pact (or maybe do a good deed, if they're an evil party) - and the player with the item is, again, the only one allowed to know what that is. So, assuming it's a good-aligned party - the pact might be based on the item (a holy sword that has been cursed and needs to drink the blood of innocents) or on the player who received it (The curse whispers to its new Cleric owner that the only way to get rid of it is to secretly infect a town with a virulent undead plague under the guise of offering them healing services)

This could lead to scenarios like a lawful good paladin needing to find a way to convince the party that these innocent civilians are actually evil and need to die by his blade - something that he's doing because he knows the curse is weakening the party's cleric or rogue or whatever, but that the rest of the party can't know. Maybe the Wizard gets a magic item that's adding a small hidden malus to the paladin's Persuasion check - the paladin gets a personal storyline about trying to figure out why the villagers don't trust them anymore, and the wizard gets a personal storyline about having to do whatever evil thing in a clandestine way to help alleviate their friend's suffering.

The challenge would be stopping the group from deciding to just go along with whatever anyone suggests because they know there are curses at play. So perhaps each player only learns about this individually and is not told that other players' curses function the same way, or perhaps if the party is too eager the curse just demands more and more evil deeds.

And of course the maluses would need to be small enough to not make a character non-viable or die to unexpected causes or whatever, but still big enough to impact the party, so probably leaning towards non-combat maluses.

The thinking behind all of this is that, yeah, mechanical maluses kind of suck - but by making it an interactive narrative thing that secretly affects others instead of yourself, there's more of an emphasis to hurry up and rid yourselves of the curse than there is on just building around it or "sucking it up", and it provides the interesting moral choice of "Is my party member's curse more important than [this bad deed]?"

e: Or if your players don't like hidden mechanics: Everyone at the table knows the details of the curse and who it affects, but only one player learns how to remove it.

This is all interesting and it might work as a novel situation, but I don't think having the cursed items apply maluses to other party members would work well in practice at my table. It definitely has potential for a one-off item though. I feel like I would run into a problem that is kind of highlighted by your example. A paladin killing innocent civilians to remove their rogue's debuff feels like it would probably go against roleplaying logic for that kind of character and in practice it might not be satisfying ingame because the player is choosing to do something that their character probably woudn't for a mechanical reason. I know it was just a throwaway example, but I feel like that could happen a lot.

YggdrasilTM posted:

I had more or less the same idea, add a cost of some type to the item, be it every day, every time you use it or in some specific moments. You lost spell slots, or hit dice, or HP (as in putting a temporary cap on max HP), or you get an exhaustion level, or get some negative conditions like poisoned, or you get some reduction to some or all saving throws, stuff like this.

I do like this though. It's giving me an idea for combining the ideas, like items that have powerful effects but costs of this sort that can be removed by fulfilling a condition to "purge" the item or whatever. I'm still toying with a lore explanation for these items, but I kind of like the idea that powerful beings often leave fragments of themselves or are trapped in artifacts that were important to them in life.

Maybe the oni ronin's cursed katana strikes true but imposes levels of exhaustion on the wielder after each combat, but slaying his former master that killed his clan or whatever helps lay his spirit to rest and eliminates the cursed mechanic from the item. So this helps by introducing a distinction between items that were cursed with a spell (and could be removed by Remove Curse) and items that are inhabited by creatures and spirits that require a more intricate solution. At the same time it would be cool if it were possible to go around this and exorcise spirits, but risk unleashing an incredibly dangerous enemy that could easily backfire.

thanks everyone, I actually unironically like the idea of a unique gacha item (as opposed to basing the whole system around it) that eats gold for results but requires exponentially more for each level of effect, making the later stuff wildly inaccessible (until it isn't, I guess, I've never had a campaign go over level 11 or so but it would be funny for them to start emptying dwarven banks into the thing or similar)

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Making cursed items apply combat-pillar penalties won't really work in 5E. For one, there aren't enough levers to pull, but besides that, unless you massively overhaul the entire magic item list, they aren't powerful enough to merit most penalties, the characters will just avoid them.

Have them apply story-based penalties instead. Create "reversed" background features to screw with social and exploration and knowledge challenges. Make random NPCs become aggressive or deny the PCs service or make things happen while a cursed PC is on watch/asleep. It should be a plot element to screw with forces you can't control, not an optimization experiment to decide if the bonus of item X is worth more than the penalty it costs.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Infinite Karma posted:

Making cursed items apply combat-pillar penalties won't really work in 5E. For one, there aren't enough levers to pull, but besides that, unless you massively overhaul the entire magic item list, they aren't powerful enough to merit most penalties, the characters will just avoid them.

Have them apply story-based penalties instead. Create "reversed" background features to screw with social and exploration and knowledge challenges. Make random NPCs become aggressive or deny the PCs service or make things happen while a cursed PC is on watch/asleep. It should be a plot element to screw with forces you can't control, not an optimization experiment to decide if the bonus of item X is worth more than the penalty it costs.

Then they simply will not use the object.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

To me a curse should inspire the fiction. As long as you possess the cursed object, you are [haunted by the ghost of its creator | can only speak in rhyming couplets | can no longer see the color red | everything you eat tastes like ashes in your mouth | become an irresistible magnet to bees | have an incurable case of the pox | all your hair falls out and won't grow back | have terrible nightmares whenever you sleep | everyone sees you as a hideous troll | are compelled to deliver an insult to every person you meet | go blind | age rapidly | cannot move beyond ten thousand steps from the item's place of origin | etc.] until you are rid of the thing.

Place no penalties on the use of the item. It's a powerful thing, it does what it says on the tin, the curse is a side effect that will bother you no matter what. The best curses are ones where a foolish or brave adventurer might dismiss at first as no big deal, but then find is increasingly onerous and intolerable over time - that's how the story arc goes. Alternatively, the terrible burden is known up front, but the tragic hero takes it on anyway, because the item is the only way to achieve the very important goal and defeat the evil once and for all.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

YggdrasilTM posted:

Then they simply will not use the object.

My experience is that players will be all over a magical item that has an interesting story/plot curse. All over it like flies on poo poo. They'll wallow in that motherfucker. My play group still tells stories about the Paladin Who Wore the Cloak Named Death, and it's been like 6 years since that campaign ended.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Apr 6, 2023

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

My experience is that they cast remove curse as soon as they can, and then they abandon it or try to sell it to some poor shmuck at the first occasion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
The best "cursed" item I ever gave the party was the +3 rapier they stole from Jarlaxle Baenre, which had the dread curse "Jarlaxle wants his loving sword back".

They took it back to their boss who said "Hmm, I think given that we know Jarlaxle was scrying on a bunch of people, he'll probably use this to follow you." So they decided to sell it or otherwise dispose of it...later. Later, they decided they'd keep it for just a liiiittle bit longer. And then, they forgot. Until they were leaving the secret vault with the treasure and heard someone slow clapping them just out of sight.