Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

marshmallow creep posted:

Does risky surgery work with battle medicine?

no. Risky Surgery explicitly modifies Treat Wounds; Battle Medicine is not Treat Wounds - it uses Treat Wounds as a peg for difficulty and such, but it is not the same skill action and does not have the same cooldown, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

although it is funny to imagine someone running up to an ally in battle and swiping them with a scalpel before doing a heal check.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
I have a question for Abomination Vaults, but I kind of want it to be spoiler-free, so please don't spoil anything beyond what I write here:

We found a treasure map in the Kobold/Xulgoth/Green Dragon cavern, which apparently leads us to a back door into a lower floor of the multi-level dungeon. We offed a ghoul librarian there (at cost of a lot of hit points and spell slots), and our GM heavily implied that our level 2 selves are VERY underleveled for that part of the dungeon. We ended up long resting and are currently side-tracking ourselves with Founders' Day and the tarot reading lighthouse hook from the teferi-elf Wrin.

My question is this: why did the writers include this treasure map/secret door to a lower level of the dungeon. Is it just to give GMs a chance to TPK? It seems really bad. I'm probably over-reacting, but I'm a little pissed that we can't dig into that undead floor of the dungeon right away. Is it something where we can just tuck the secret door in our back pocket and come back later? I don't know, feeling a little cheated and railroaded by metagame knowledge because the rest of the group doesn't want to continue with that floor since the GM said we are too weak for it.

If the answer is "it's actually not bad, you'll find out why" I'll accept that, I guess. I guess I just want to know if that's the case without digging into the book myself and spoiling everything. Sorry if this is kind of a dumb question. This is my first PF (2e or otherwise) campaign, but on its surface this seems like bad dungeon design.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
It sounds like a straight up shortcut to current content as you see in games like Dark Souls. So you don't have to walk through the whole dungeon when you are ready to unload gear. When appropriately leveled there may other advantages like sneaking up in a boss or getting an upgrade first

I wouldn't expect anything bad to happen if you ignore it for a while.

There's probably better ways to let you know your underleveled. Like having you fight a single level 4/5 monster then seeding three in the next room after. But you'd have figured it out eventually.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Apr 5, 2023

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Finster Dexter posted:

I have a question for Abomination Vaults, but I kind of want it to be spoiler-free, so please don't spoil anything beyond what I write here:

We found a treasure map in the Kobold/Xulgoth/Green Dragon cavern, which apparently leads us to a back door into a lower floor of the multi-level dungeon. We offed a ghoul librarian there (at cost of a lot of hit points and spell slots), and our GM heavily implied that our level 2 selves are VERY underleveled for that part of the dungeon. We ended up long resting and are currently side-tracking ourselves with Founders' Day and the tarot reading lighthouse hook from the teferi-elf Wrin.

My question is this: why did the writers include this treasure map/secret door to a lower level of the dungeon. Is it just to give GMs a chance to TPK? It seems really bad. I'm probably over-reacting, but I'm a little pissed that we can't dig into that undead floor of the dungeon right away. Is it something where we can just tuck the secret door in our back pocket and come back later? I don't know, feeling a little cheated and railroaded by metagame knowledge because the rest of the group doesn't want to continue with that floor since the GM said we are too weak for it.

If the answer is "it's actually not bad, you'll find out why" I'll accept that, I guess. I guess I just want to know if that's the case without digging into the book myself and spoiling everything. Sorry if this is kind of a dumb question. This is my first PF (2e or otherwise) campaign, but on its surface this seems like bad dungeon design.

The dungeon has several different entrances to different levels, and that's the one I think they included to tie the beginner box into the module. Overall it can be a little rude because it can lead to some tough customers depending on which direction you go.

The Ghoul Librarian that you fought - was that the very first person you met? Or was it a little ways into the dungeon?

My group had a similar experience with this but things ended up going pretty okay for them.

e:

Harold Fjord posted:

It sounds like a straight up shortcut to current content as you see in games like Dark Souls. So you don't have to walk through the whole dungeon when you are ready to unload gear. When appropriately leveled there may other advantages like sneaking up in a boss or getting an upgrade first

I wouldn't expect anything bad to happen if you ignore it for a while.

There's probably better ways to let you know your underleveled. Like having you fight a single level 4/5 monster then seeding three in the next room after. But you'd have figured it out eventually.

(Full module spoilers) It does do this. There's a Gibbering Mouther in one direction that the passage leads which is a pretty rough fight for a party of level 2s. The other route that they can go leads to a friendly-ish ghoul (who Finster might have fought), buy beyond that are some pretty mean haunts and creatures that won't hesitate to wreck the players. The ghoul does have a staircase leading up to level 2 though if players want to use that to get to a more level appropriate area.

Arrrthritis fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Apr 5, 2023

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
The ghoul floor is for level 3 characters and other than one non-ghoul enemy is probably the easiest floor in the campaign. Level 1 has some easier stuff for when you encounter it but also has some scary things that can threaten a tpk.

My party killed all the ghouls in one long fight without breaking much of a sweat. Level 2 characters should be fine if they are careful.

That one hard fight on the ghoul floor involves a speed 10 enemy so you can also just run away.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

I had the opposite experience. My party hit the ghouls at level 2 and almost got wiped several times. The ghoul paralysis is nasty and can easily effectively take a character out of the fight. And the fight with Aller Rosk is very hardcore at level 2; it's the only time my party full-on ran from an encounter (dragging their paralyzed and ghoul-fevered ally behind them).

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Rythian posted:

I've had this argument a lot, and plenty of people disagree about how this works. There's multiple threads on the Paizo forum of people arguing one way or another, about what spells work, what healing works, etc, etc. The main argument really boils down to if Basic Undead Benefits overwrite the Undead trait, or they are both active, and if an undead character counts as "living creature".

The way I read it, a skeleton ancestry has the undead trait. It's right there in the tags for the ancestry. And Stitch Flesh has the text "You can use Treat Wounds to restore Hit Points to undead creatures, not just living ones." A Skeleton ancestry IS an undead creature. So therefore, Stitch Flesh would be required to use Treat Wounds on it. Similarly elixirs of life has in its text "Elixirs of life accelerate a living creature's natural healing processes". A skeleton is not a living creature.

Now, obviously, this is all down to how you read things. If you go by the idea that the undead trait isn't applicable for Skeleton (despite it being there) and instead only Basic Undead Benefits count, you can be healed by anything that isn't positive healing - so Elixirs of Life works on you despite you not being living, same for Elixir of Rejuvenation. It also makes Stitch Flesh kind of pointless. What are you gonna use it on? Random zombie minions following you around?

It definitely would make things easier for a party with a skeleton (like mine), but I can't help but feel it's a bit weird for a skeleton to be considered a living creature, that can be healed just the same as anyone else through bandages and salves and whatever, with just a standard Treat Wounds/Battle Medicine check.

I'm torn, honestly. I read the rules the way it makes sense to me, but maybe it would just be easier to be more permissive.
Elixir of Life is a weird case. It accelerates your natural healing process, so you'd think immediately that's out for a skeleton. But Basic Undead Benefits gives you just a bonus to saves vs poison and disease, not an immunity, so if a skeleton can catch and try to fight off lung diseases and blood borne illnesses they HAVE to have some kind of magical emulation of a living creature's immune system. Note that skeleton creatures like the Skeleton Guard or Skeletal Soldier have full disease immunity.

On the other hand, this block is literally on the same page as Basic Undead Benefits, in the "Playable Undead Options" section, so I gotta ultimately come down on the side of "Elixir of Life doesn't work on playable undead".

quote:

Healing Undead
Because of negative healing many typical means of healing don’t work on undead. The heal spell can’t heal undead, but harm and soothe can. Healing potions and elixirs of life are no use, but an oil of unlife can heal undead. In addition, a character can take the Stitch Flesh skill feat to heal undead with Treat Wounds.

Taciturn Tactician fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Apr 6, 2023

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

VikingofRock posted:

I had the opposite experience. My party hit the ghouls at level 2 and almost got wiped several times. The ghoul paralysis is nasty and can easily effectively take a character out of the fight. And the fight with Aller Rosk is very hardcore at level 2; it's the only time my party full-on ran from an encounter (dragging their paralyzed and ghoul-fevered ally behind them).

Yeah, I was gonna say, I've been running this AP for over a year for two different groups and both had a lot of issues with this floor. Both groups took an average of five 4 hour long sessions to get through it all. I'd go into it, but I don't feel comfortable sharing floor details even behind a spoiler tag.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Rythian posted:

Now, obviously, this is all down to how you read things. If you go by the idea that the undead trait isn't applicable for Skeleton (despite it being there) and instead only Basic Undead Benefits count, you can be healed by anything that isn't positive healing - so Elixirs of Life works on you despite you not being living, same for Elixir of Rejuvenation. It also makes Stitch Flesh kind of pointless. What are you gonna use it on? Random zombie minions following you around?

It definitely would make things easier for a party with a skeleton (like mine), but I can't help but feel it's a bit weird for a skeleton to be considered a living creature, that can be healed just the same as anyone else through bandages and salves and whatever, with just a standard Treat Wounds/Battle Medicine check.

I'm torn, honestly. I read the rules the way it makes sense to me, but maybe it would just be easier to be more permissive.

Stitch Flesh could be for PC necromancers who have undead minions. If you've got an undead horse you want to repair it.

Regardless, bandages and salves make perfect sense to me. You use your medical crazy glue and your medical duct tape to patch up your undead buddy. Skeleton buddy fractures a femur? Splint and bandages will work just as well to immobilize the fracture for him as it will for any other member of the party. Maybe better. It's got to be easier to set a fracture when you can actually see the whole bone without a bunch of bleeding flesh in the way, right? Skeleton people should be the easiest people to repair. :skeltal:

You want a head scratcher, try using medicine on a guy with the Ghost archetype.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
No it makes perfect sense you're pretending to stitch their wounds up and it makes a ghost bandage

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Jarvisi posted:

No it makes perfect sense you're pretending to stitch their wounds up and it makes a ghost bandage

The last living PC in my Blood Lords group recently got disintegrated and game back as a ghost. As the party medic (complete with Stitch Flesh), this is exactly how I'm gonna do it.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
So is BKOM any good? Or is this just gonna be some kind of MOBA/Gacha thing?

https://paizo.com/community/blog/v5748dyo6si9w?Paizo-Partners-with-BKOM-on-Two-Pathfinder-Games

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

Sunday Gold was good. No real experience with any of their other titles. Cautiously optimistic, I guess?

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
It seems a leap for BKOM to put out something at the level of like, Larian Studios. But I would also be happy with something closer to Wildermyth style for story/adventure play, but with actual pf2e combat. Which would certainly seem in their reach.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy
Does the Dragon's Roar action give immunity to one minute after it's used, or only if you leave the stance? The wording is a little unclear. I assume it's the former?

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Does the Dragon's Roar action give immunity to one minute after it's used, or only if you leave the stance? The wording is a little unclear. I assume it's the former?

Yeah, that is worded a bit weirdly, but only because its doing a lot at once.
As a GM, I would rule it as "After using this ability, creatures in the area of your roar are temporarily immune for 1 minute." So you can use the ability whenever it is off that 1d4 round cooldown on new groups of enemies, but not the same group within a 1 minute period.

It doesn't make sense for the PC to be able to say, roll a 2 on the cooldown roll, then spend the next two turns exiting and entering the stance and then be able to immediately use the ability on the same group of en enemies, effectively overriding the immunity period.

Lot of monsters have similar abilities that work where the PCs gain temp immunity to the effect for a set time so that the monster can't just keep using it over and over.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Taciturn Tactician posted:

yeah, it’s after it’s used

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
I'm running a module and thinking about swapping out a wand of heal that the party can't use (no divine caster) with something arcane that they can actually use. But most arcane spells seem so niche for a wand it'll seem pointless, or more powerful than I want to give them like a wand of magic weapon or something. Any suggestions?

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

Rescue Toaster posted:

I'm running a module and thinking about swapping out a wand of heal that the party can't use (no divine caster) with something arcane that they can actually use. But most arcane spells seem so niche for a wand it'll seem pointless, or more powerful than I want to give them like a wand of magic weapon or something. Any suggestions?

What arcane casters do you have? Im a level 2 wizard and would love a wand of mage armor to free up a spell slot. Wand of feather fall might be good too, wouldn't get as much use but when they did use it then it would be worth it. Wand of magic missle is basic but always good too.

Do your players have a theme or spell they like? My wizard would want all acid stuff but that might be an avenue to go down too.'

Edit: Wand of true strike would be one that would get a lot of use I would think.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Those are all good ideas, thanks. Party is pretty new to have much of a theme, but I'll keep an eye on what the wizard is into up until they reach it.

Unrelated: Does anyone have a plan they follow for how players discover the methods to disable a hazard? Just sort of assume anyone with the appropriate skill trained will realize they could do <something>? There's no mention of specific knowledge checks to 'identify' the hazard and learn how to deactivate it. For some like a Haunt it would make sense to do an Occult check if you felt like it was necessary, but there's other cases where it's less obvious what you would even do. I feel like just letting the people with the skills 'know' they could help might seem odd, but at the same time, gatekeeping a tank's ability to athletics/intimidate/whatever behind someone else's knowledge check is a little less satisfying for them, especially considering they rarely get to participate in out of combat exploration things anyway.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Rescue Toaster posted:

Those are all good ideas, thanks. Party is pretty new to have much of a theme, but I'll keep an eye on what the wizard is into up until they reach it.

Unrelated: Does anyone have a plan they follow for how players discover the methods to disable a hazard? Just sort of assume anyone with the appropriate skill trained will realize they could do <something>? There's no mention of specific knowledge checks to 'identify' the hazard and learn how to deactivate it. For some like a Haunt it would make sense to do an Occult check if you felt like it was necessary, but there's other cases where it's less obvious what you would even do. I feel like just letting the people with the skills 'know' they could help might seem odd, but at the same time, gatekeeping a tank's ability to athletics/intimidate/whatever behind someone else's knowledge check is a little less satisfying for them, especially considering they rarely get to participate in out of combat exploration things anyway.

For a nonmagical hazard, if they've perceived it before triggering it, I would think that perceiving it would give them enough information on the hazard to at least approach the idea of disabling it.

So something like:

"I'm looking for traps as I go down this corridor"
"Ok, so that's a search action, roll me a perception check"
"21"
"As you're walking down the corridor you notice that something strange on the floor, a tile that's raised slightly over the others. On the wall you see a hole with something sharp inside. You think this is a spear launcher."
"Can I disable that?"
"Make me a thievery check."

or

"I'm looking for traps as I walk along this path"
"Ok, so that's a search action, roll me a perception check"
"19"
"you smell blood in the air and there's something strange about the ground in front of you. You look closely and it looks like there's blood just under the surface of the soil. You think you hear the whispering of spirits."
"OK, so definitely not of natural origin. Is there a way to get rid of it?"
*GM checks player's proficiencies, they don't have religion or occultism* "You could try diplomacy to calm the spirits down?"
"This seems too spooky for me, I explain the situation to the cleric."
"Sure. Cleric, can you make me a religion check?"

Happy to be corrected on this, of course.

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe
Has anyone played the Blood Lords adventure path? It looks like an interesting setting, and I like the idea that if my character dies he can come back as a skeleton or other undead. I don't know how annoying the lack of positive energy healing would be and trying to juggle undead and live PC's.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Yeah I’m doing a blood lord right now but we’re all undead. It’s pretty fun but the adventure path seems to have been made before undead pcs were a thing.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Big Mouth Billy Basshole posted:

Has anyone played the Blood Lords adventure path? It looks like an interesting setting, and I like the idea that if my character dies he can come back as a skeleton or other undead. I don't know how annoying the lack of positive energy healing would be and trying to juggle undead and live PC's.

I have this same question, but has anyone used the Foundry module with it?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I have this same question, but has anyone used the Foundry module with it?

I've been running the Foundry module of it for a couple months and it's very nice. Would recommend.

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
We've been playing the pregens for a while now (Ezren, Merisiel, Kyra and Valeros) and while we're all looking forward to creating new characters for Abomination Vaults some interesting traits have developed based on character art and the short backstory blurbs provided in the Beginner's Box.

For the most part there's only been three players at the table, Valeros' player has been sick and his daughter's football team had a tournament so there hasn't been much development to his character.

Kyra quickly turned into a cleric of Mom, handing out snackies, seeing to boo-boos and carrying a kobold that surrendered out of the first dungeon in a goddamned baby bjorn. When not kidnapping sentient beings she is probably the least unhinged member of the group.

Ezren's character art has him looking much older than 42, so Merisiel immediately dubbed him 'old man' (five minutes later I discovered she is thrice his age) and the characters lovingly razz him for leaning into the ~Wizard Aesthetic~ too much. We're contemplating getting him a walker.

Merisiel is very protective of the Old Man, rushing to the defense of 'Old Squishy' and often being knocked out in the process. She's got some plans for the old fishery outside Otari that either means turning it into an Airbnb or finding ways to get the petit bourgeoisie to pay us for letting them do the fishing and curing for us. Also, tax fraud.

So far we've only got a kobold and a bugbear to work at our fishery, but we're looking forward to expand the operation with a dwarf or two once we run into the Leadbuster Lads.

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe
Blood Lords was a bit too long, so I think I'll be playing the Gatewalkers AP. I may be able to play a Thaumaturge, so I'm getting excited about stabbing ghouls with random crap I have in my pockets.

Ratio
Aug 27, 2017

I asked the group about hopping into Blood Lords and it sounded like they may interested, thanks for the players guide. We did have one problem with the beginner box though which was that it was really combat heavy without a whole lot of dialogue. Any suggestions on a particular path that might lean into dialogue and world interaction a bit more than the others?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Ratio posted:

I asked the group about hopping into Blood Lords and it sounded like they may interested, thanks for the players guide. We did have one problem with the beginner box though which was that it was really combat heavy without a whole lot of dialogue. Any suggestions on a particular path that might lean into dialogue and world interaction a bit more than the others?

Strength of Thousands is widely regarded as the most RP heavy of the published AP’s.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

One negative of Strength of Thousands is that while it's set in and around the Magaambya, the most prestigious magical school in the setting, you don't actually spend that much of the early bits doing actual lessons or learning things about magic (that's assumed to be going on in downtime). Instead you're fulfilling your year of 'perquisite', community service that students do for others and that they're expended to learn from and continue post graduation.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

Arrrthritis posted:

Yesterday my abomination vaults game ran into the floor 4 superboss The Voidglutton. God drat that thing does not gently caress around.

Same! Got another rip sadly buy the group is ready for the revenge!

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I mostly clicked on this thread as a lark. After all, Pathfinder was a continuation of 3.0/3.5 rules that I hated. But I was playing the Pathfinder CRPG to scratch an itch and...

Toshimo posted:

Here's the "PF2 intro for 5e players" I posted last thread:

This sounds good? And interesting? WTF?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I was shocked too

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
crazy that they went through and made a whole rear end different game

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

I mostly clicked on this thread as a lark. After all, Pathfinder was a continuation of 3.0/3.5 rules that I hated. But I was playing the Pathfinder CRPG to scratch an itch and...

This sounds good? And interesting? WTF?

It's good.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
it's aight

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
it's a pretty reasonable dungeon and/or dragon, though my friends are attaching a little more to the Advanced 5e thing that just came out in comparison because it's willing to kill a couple more sacred cows. I personally prefer PF2's action system and how Paizo's loads of premade 1-20 modules are almost a selling point in themselves

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

It's basically the build variety and general insanity of 3.5e, the balance of 4e, and the simplicity of 5e all in one system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

pumpinglemma posted:

It's basically the build variety and general insanity of 3.5e

???????????