Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cimber posted:

Trump is going to stretch this and everything else coming his way forever. No way he ever sees the inside of a jail cell. He'll die of natural causes before the trial/appeals are finished and he'll be considered innocent when that happens. Even if convicted and he dies during appeals he would be instantly be considered innocent.

cr0y posted:

How many times is this going to be said

Unfortunately, at least until most posters develop a firm understanding that no one finds their “nothing matters” posts interesting, and that the designated “wailing and gnashing about politics” subforum of SA is C-SPAM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

evilmiera posted:

I have an associate who is investing way too much emotional attachment into this indictment. He desperately wants to believe there is going to be consequences for someone like Trump without quite realizing how often narcissists like him wriggle out of things or get away with slaps on the wrist simply because of their refuge in audacity and force of (terrible) personality. Or he does realize and just wishes that for once it isn't going to be true.

The guy isn't even American, and further is a member of a party that is actually closer to Trump and his ideals than most, so I have no idea where this is coming from. Maybe it's easier for him to parse his politics with something "good" if Don, the representative of the "bad" part of his politics, gets an actual sentence.

I think one of the things to realize is politics has moved in the last 20 years for Centre politics being "we will do awful things....but feel bad about it."

So while Centerists moved rightwards, it meant the Right had to move further Right. And Conservatives were okay with that as long as thin veneer of decorum was kept. So use dog whistles and not the actual Gamer Words and you were fine.

What no one seemed to have considered is that when you spend years whipping up your base into a frenzy with racist/sexist/jingoistic language but stopped just short of saying it, eventually someone would come along and realize that if they just went that bit further they could succeed.
A guy like Trump is the inevitable endpoint of politics moving rightwards.
And while the "sensible Conservatives " hate guys like Trump for being gauche and not playing by the rules, they don't seem to fully grasp that this monster they made can't be put back in the box.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Unfortunately, at least until most posters develop a firm understanding that no one finds their “nothing matters” posts interesting, and that the designated “wailing and gnashing about politics” subforum of SA is C-SPAM.

I hereby consider myself flogged and chastised.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Ethics_Gradient posted:

First thing that comes to mind.

I can't believe I'm saying this but I think that's pretty insulting to Rygel XVI

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

OgNar posted:

https://twitter.com/therecount/status/1643270948714426370

Putting Trump to Nelson Mandela and Jesus level again

Trying to equate the living avatar of self-centered narcissism to people like Jesus and Mandela who were infinitely more selfless than Trump ever will be will never not be funny and/or infuriating. Just imagine Trump on the cross angrily yelling for God (in this case, Fred Trump?) to come save him and smite the Romans.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

kiimo posted:

I can't believe I'm saying this but I think that's pretty insulting to Rygel XVI

Agreed. Rygel has at least a rudimentary conscience and usually, eventually, grudgingly does the right thing.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

MrMojok posted:

I’m not familiar with your post history and views, so I have no idea where you’re coming from.

But the congressional rep you’re talking about here has spent the last couple of years characterizing the entirety of the party opposite of hers (and the entirety of their electorate) as pedophiles.

The idea being that if half of the 340 million people in this country are pedophiles, there is nothing that can happen to them that is out of line, nothing that is too bad.

There's a car I see parked on the main street in my town that has a huge "Shoot your local pedophile" sticker, with a silhouette of a guy on his knees and another guy pointing a gun at the back of his head.

So yeah, trying to classify every member of x group as pedophiles is a really awful, dangerous thing to do.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Love Rat posted:

The thing you're fundamentally missing here is that the Nazis basically classified whole races and ethnicities of people as subhuman animals. Just by accident of birth, immediately reduced to animal status. And then acted on it. It's one thing to call a whole group people being animals simply for being born into a population and calling a single person an animal. Hell, Holocaust victims and commentators pretty commonly called individual Nazis animals in reference to their barbarity. Who is the group being dehumanized here? It's it one dumb lady who has a lot of barbaric beliefs. It's not like they're saying her whole genetic line is subhuman garbage.

There is just no 1:1 here. If I call Hitler an animal does that put me in the Nazi category? Nope, sure doesn't. Now if I called Germans and Austrians animals and said they should all be put down, well that's a little more Nazi like.

Exactly. Lets simplify:

Calling someone a subhuman because of group they were born into? Yes that's awful and extremely problematic.

Calling someone a subhuman because they've chosen of their own free will to be a Nazi? Extremely good and correct.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Using that kind of language, on anyone, also makes me deeply uncomfortable.

Call them a fascist, sure. Or a lying shithead or any of the many things that they are.

Calling someone an infected animal? Historically that's led to some really lovely places and 'but they do it as well' isn't much of a defense.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Alctel posted:

Call them a fascist, sure. Or a lying shithead or any of the many things that they are.

Calling someone an infected animal? Historically that's led to some really lovely places and 'but they do it as well' isn't much of a defense.

That's only led to lovely places for the people that the fascists target, not the fascists.

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death, and now I'm going to pepper spray an acquaintance. Something... I mean, what's happened to me?

Alctel posted:

Are you really not getting that calling a whole race, community, or ethnicity animals is not the same thing as calling an individual an animal?

Is calling Ted Bundy an animal a prelude to genocide?

We could go around this semantic circle all day. It's totally your right to feel uncomfortable.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Wait till the folks complaining about calling MTG an animal get a load of what CHUD stands for...

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Lager posted:

Wait till the folks complaining about calling MTG an animal get a load of what CHUD stands for...

I've kinda lost the thread of where chud in the MAGA sense actually came from. My earliest encounter with it was Matt Christman back in the heyday of Chapo, but could he have been the first?

E: I'm obviously familiar with the movie reference

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Pence won’t appeal ruling that compels his grand jury testimony on Jan. 6

quote:

Former vice president Mike Pence will not appeal a judge’s ruling that requires him to testify in front of a grand jury exploring the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the U.S. Capitol, a spokesman said Thursday, likely setting up a pivotal moment in the special counsel investigation related to former president Donald’s Trump efforts to overturn the 2020 election.

Pence’s decision to drop the appeal means he will likely testify under oath about Trump’s attempts to pressure him, and he could be a key witness. Trump and his team could still appeal the ruling, but they have lost similar previous cases.

A date for his testimony is not settled, though it is likely to be later this month, an adviser said.

So likely no further delay in this.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So what changed? Did Pence suddenly grow a spine? Did Mother ask him why he was defending the person who wanted him killed?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Randalor posted:

So what changed? Did Pence suddenly grow a spine? Did Mother ask him why he was defending the person who wanted him killed?

quote:

Pence spokesman Devin O’Malley said in a statement that Pence felt vindicated by a portion of the judge’s ruling that he can remain silent on topics that deal specifically with his role in Congress on Jan. 6, 2021, when a formal tabulation of the presidential election results was interrupted by a violent pro-Trump mob.

He didn't want to talk about what went on in Congress on 1/6, and the judge said he didn't have to.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Pence is positing himself as "the sane one" of the Trump admin and now that Trump is screwed and losing popularity he wants to be on the right side of history.

Popete fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Apr 5, 2023

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Popete posted:

Pence is positing himself as "the sane one" of the Trump admin and now that Trump is screwed and losing popularity he wants to be on the right side of history.

I believe he legitimately thinks he can triangulate himself to presidential office- it's not about legacy.

He's too delusional to realize a Venn diagram of "Mike Pence" and "Path to Victory" would contain two circles so far apart I could drive a truck through it.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Randalor posted:

Pence can say he “won” his point to the republicans and now go testify under that cover.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Angry_Ed posted:

Trying to equate the living avatar of self-centered narcissism to people like Jesus and Mandela who were infinitely more selfless than Trump ever will be will never not be funny and/or infuriating. Just imagine Trump on the cross angrily yelling for God (in this case, Fred Trump?) to come save him and smite the Romans.
If MTG thinks Jesus was "arrested and murdered" does that mean she thinks capital punishment is murder?

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Traitor Greene needs to be "cleansed" in orange fluffy's piss.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Apr 6, 2023

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

This Is the Zodiac posted:

If MTG thinks Jesus was "arrested and murdered" does that mean she thinks capital punishment is murder?

It's only murder when non Christians do it.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Jaxyon posted:

Calling someone a subhuman because they've chosen of their own free will to be a Nazi? Extremely good and correct.

I feel that it is important to insist that there is nothing about being a disgusting Nazi that is truly less than human.

Being such an immoral person by choice is unfortunately an incredibly human thing, and I feel that by excluding fascists from our idea of what is human, that we ultimately do ourselves a disservice by perpetuating the same sorts of flaws in thinking that can lead to otherization of good people in the first place.

Not that I give a poo poo about otherization of Nazis per se (if anyone has earned it, it's them), I just think the debate is partly around the underlying current of ideas that drive that sort of "diseased animal" language (I.e. that one's humanity can be stripped away by choice).

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I don't disagree per se, but it's also a conversation I don't want to get bogged down in while fascism remains an overt threat.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Guest2553 posted:

I don't disagree per se, but it's also a conversation I don't want to get bogged down in while fascism remains an overt threat.

Ding ding motherfucking ding.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
The thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is that calling MTG a "diseased animal" does not a goddamned thing to arrest the tide of fascism overtaking the country.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Gonna have to other the poo poo out of some fascists if they get the power they want and start the pogroms they'd all love to do on whatever flavor of out group gets in their cross hairs at that moment. I'm pretty OK with declaring that poo poo not-cool for people to do and disqualifying for consideration of inclusion in society.

Call it a part of human nature until the cows come home, at some point it's unacceptable to act on. Train cars of LBGT people, mass execution of political opposition and whatever other poo poo these assholes are braying for every night on Fox is across that line. They haven't done it yet so I'm not personally willing to sign that letter in my heart of hearts. I am willing to be crystal loving clear about what they want and where this is going. Better angels only extend so far.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
Insulting people based on their choices is genuinely different from insulting them based on intrinsic qualities they didn't choose for themselves, I won't deny that. On the other hand, I've lived enough through hearing how dehumanizing MS-13 or al-Quaeda or whoever as literal non-humans is "totally about their choices and how dare you imply it's racist!" to know how mutable those things can be in the real world.

I don't really expect dehumanizing rhetoric against white fascists to lead to any sort of racial hate crimes and I won't judge it the same as the reverse, but:

1: I kinda like it when I can see a quote about what "that diseased animal did" and know which party in the dispute is a Nazi.
2: Like pthighs said, I fail to see how using meaner words for Nazi than "Nazi trash person" or the equivalent does more to stop fascism. Like seriously, if we use race/gender slurs where applicable too, will that help? If you're using harder words to make yourself feel better, own it rather than imply that people who don't are fighting facsism less than you.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
I kinda wanna point out

Remember that press conference where the jounalists were in the Pool, listening to audio of recently orphaned children crying themselves to sleep on the southern border under Donald trumps orders?

Huckabee refused to do the presser. The torture nazi lady did it instead.

That, it seemed to me, was the tipping point for Cohen flipping on trum0. Its also when the "25th amendment" discussion Miles Taylor references in his anonymous NYT op-ed occurres (which showed the rift between indiana republicans and the trump admin).

If trump had not opted to go chaotic evil and snatch children from their mothers arms, this would be a whole different legal situation.

E: i honestly don't see a way for him to avoid it. He takes a certain stance against adversaries. He hasn't taken that stance against a judge before. Judges have superpowers.

Uglycat fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Apr 6, 2023

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Randalor posted:

I imagine he's pretty sure he's clear to not say anything that might reflect badly on him.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Uglycat posted:

I kinda wanna point out

Remember that press conference where the jounalists were in the Pool, listening to audio of recently orphaned children crying themselves to sleep on the southern border under Donald trumps orders?

Huckabee refused to do the presser. The torture nazi lady did it instead.

That, it seemed to me, was the tipping point for Cohen flipping on trum0. Its also when the "25th amendment" discussion Miles Taylor references in his anonymous NYT op-ed occurres (which showed the rift between indiana republicans and the trump admin).

If trump had not opted to go chaotic evil and snatch children from their mothers arms, this would be a whole different legal situation.

E: i honestly don't see a way for him to avoid it. He takes a certain stance against adversaries. He hasn't taken that stance against a judge before. Judges have superpowers.

Do you have a head injury?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Please, please, please let him go
https://twitter.com/francis_scarr/status/1644372488606961666

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

When “are we the baddies?” Isn’t even in doubt anymore.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

As long as he never came back I would fine with Trump being Russia's problem form now on.

I'd feel kind of bad for Russia, but at least he can't run for public office over there so hopefully whatever damage he can do is limited in scope.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
is the Brazilian shitnose tube former prez still in FL? that russian guy would take all the loser prez.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

PhazonLink posted:

is the Brazilian shitnose tube former prez still in FL? that russian guy would take all the loser prez.

https://www.npr.org/2023/03/30/1167040880/bolsonaro-returns-brazil-from-florida
He left about a week ago.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1645858419461455872?t=Fp7H-sw4ApdoDvU8UCzaSw&s=19

Complaint:
https://t.co/eV632TizOS

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

quote:

Chairman Jordan claims he is seeking to conduct “oversight.” But he has no power under the Constitution to oversee state and local criminal matters. By definition, then, he has no legitimate legislative purpose for issuing this subpoena. The subpoena threatens the sovereign powers of the States, confidence in the secrecy of grand jury proceedings, and the integrity of an ongoing criminal prosecution. This Court should enjoin its enforcement.

Man, that would be so cool if Jordan’s illegal weaponization Committee got enjoined for being illegally weaponized.

Edit: also going to be fun watching the “state rights are supreme for guns and wombs” squirm themselves into being for violating the foundation of state sovereignty.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Apr 11, 2023

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Murgos posted:

Man, that would be so cool if Jordan’s illegal weaponization Committee got enjoined for being illegally weaponized.

Edit: also going to be fun watching the “state rights are supreme for guns and wombs” squirm themselves into being for violating the foundation of state sovereignty.

I mean, they've mastered cognitive dissonance so I don't know how much squirming they're going to do unless they actually get charged with something and have to explain to a judge or other such arbitration figure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Angry_Ed posted:

I mean, they've mastered cognitive dissonance so I don't know how much squirming they're going to do unless they actually get charged with something and have to explain to a judge or other such arbitration figure.

Yeah this is purely to score points with dear leader, Jim is a stupid scumbag.