Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

psydude posted:

My "oh God I'm back in the army" nightmares usually involve a BUB that I hadn't prepared for, followed by a PT test. It's not that I was bad at PT, but drat it if those things didn't always give me anxiety.

I'm still very much in and PT tests always give me anxiety. I do pretty decently in them, too. Never having failed one or even come close, either. Yet the mere thought gets my heart going and makes me lose sleep the day prior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I think my main military dreams have been either related directly to combat (and faded maybe 2-3 months after that deployment) or were just annoying poo poo like dreaming that I already am done with the dumb presentation then waking up and it was the day of the dumb presentation.

But my dreams trend on the extremely fantastical, like extensive sci-fi worlds or literal years in-dream of living in another country or something.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

bees everywhere posted:

I don't get those dreams but almost 10 years later I still get that panicky feeling that I left my rifle somewhere.

Relatable bit- last Monday was the first day my employer (SSA) made masks optional since COVID. We had to wear them everywhere in the office, and management wasn't super crazy about it but rules are rules. But finally, it's your choice.

So a few days later, my supervisor tells me that at least a dozen times a day he has that sensation that we'd all recognize, the about-to-fall-wake-up-from-a-dream sensation of "OH poo poo WHERE'S MY (grabs around, then remembers) oh". Only he was never in, so he doesn't really have language for it, so I explain to him that a near-universal thing for anybody who deployed is that the absolute accountability for their rifle for every minute of their life does lingering psychic damage that will randomly pop up years or decades later, where a fat dude who's been out for 15 years will be standing in the shower on a normal Tuesday and get the "oh poo poo where's my rifle" feeling.

To be honest, it kind of bummed him out. Three years of wearing a mask constantly then going off-leash, being unable to cope with the adjustment right away, and here I am telling him "yeah that feeling will stay around for most of your life"

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Vahakyla posted:

I'm still very much in and PT tests always give me anxiety. I do pretty decently in them, too. Never having failed one or even come close, either. Yet the mere thought gets my heart going and makes me lose sleep the day prior.

Same man…. Every loving time.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

mlmp08 posted:

But my dreams trend on the extremely fantastical, like extensive sci-fi worlds or literal years in-dream of living in another country or something.

I get the italicized part from time to time and I can not even describe how weird it is and how bizarre they are to wake up from. sometimes they aren't a huge shock to wake up from, which somehow makes it weirder.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

God timeshifted dreams are weird

When I was an apprentice I stole back to my cabin for a power nap at coffee time and went on a bizarre and magical dreamventure that lasted less than 30 seconds of real time

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Saul Kain posted:

Those alternate with the dream about having an exam in a class I forgot I was taking and never went. Anxiety sucks.

Oh hi there's more of us. Mine alternate with having to watch myself never getting around to starting some sort of school work, up to the point where it's definitely too late.

I did fine in school, and as far as I can tell I don't have anxiety problems while awake, but it still happens every now and then.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
i never dream about being in the army, but i still have the occasional dream where i’m driving the ambulance or working on a call. Not that surprising maybe since my enlistment was about as blessed as can be, but i vividly remember a few ems calls from over a decade ago

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Computer viking posted:

Oh hi there's more of us. Mine alternate with having to watch myself never getting around to starting some sort of school work, up to the point where it's definitely too late.

I did fine in school, and as far as I can tell I don't have anxiety problems while awake, but it still happens every now and then.

Mine is it's one week after the semester is over and I remember I had a class I signed up for and never went.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Saul Kain posted:

Those alternate with the dream about having an exam in a class I forgot I was taking and never went. Anxiety sucks.

I would get this one after college but the worst was the one where I was failing a class and it was the day after the last day to withdraw from a class. I also use to dream about driving around town while cooking fajitas that working at one particular Mexican restaurant caused.

I pretty much don’t remember any dreams any more and feel like I don’t even dream most of the time.

lifetime supply of Pocky
Aug 19, 2003

Telsa Cola posted:

Mine is it's one week after the semester is over and I remember I had a class I signed up for and never went.

yep, that one. a real sweaty panic classic. and i haven’t been in school for 15 years now

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Telsa Cola posted:

I never got that on. I do sometimes get the dreams where you are totally invested in another life for an extended period of time, wake up in the middle of the night, pee, and think "what was I just doing? Oh right, the last five years didn't actually happen."

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Alan Smithee posted:

I wish I could throw a grenade

I will never taste the knowledge of such fruits

I *think* you can pay to do this at Battlefield Vegas, at their Nevada desert location.... actually I looked it up. You can get a few mortar shots off or fire a grenade launcher but no thrown grenades. I can sort of understand why given how some Las Vegas tourists treat firearms at these gun ranges.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Mine will always be a night where the dishwasher quit and there's tour buses lining the parking lot and the ticket machine won't stop spitting out tickets and every time you try and call a pick there's like seven things that either aren't on the menu or are completely not prepped and you have to like pull out a cutting board and start chopping onions while breaking down lobsters "lazy man" style for the tourists and it's a thousand degrees

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Telsa Cola posted:

Oh hell yes this one. Or showing up to class and it's an exam day.

Military nightmares involve showing up to a parade with no pants on. Civvie nightmares are more or less the same, but to teach or deliver group therapy or something. Same old anxiety or whatever, just a different context.

Or you know the trauma-prompted nightmares but the less said about those the better (none of mine connect to military service in any way).

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

mllaneza posted:

I never got that on. I do sometimes get the dreams where you are totally invested in another life for an extended period of time, wake up in the middle of the night, pee, and think "what was I just doing? Oh right, the last five years didn't actually happen."

I occasionally get the extended time dreams, but it's usually only a few days long. I'm not sure my wife believes me when I wake up and explain how I've been really busy for the past three or four days and I'm exhausted.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

I work with my family now. My dad constantly misplaces things and spends 20 minutes searching franticly. It makes me quite anxious. Triggers that same sinking feeling of misplacing your rifle.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
If I ever get army dreams it's that I've re-enlisted and, showed up back at the unit, and everyone's rolling out on some field ex. I have a pack with a random assortment of poo poo and nothing I need. I'm trying to pretend I know what I'm doing and have all my poo poo squared away while I try to figure what the hell's going on.

So pretty much accurate to my actual army time :haw:

Radical 90s Wizard fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Apr 6, 2023

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.
Even though it is more than 20 years ago, I sometimes wake up with a sinking feeling after dreaming about being late and unprepared for formation.

On a field exercise, I had to take a leak while we were digging 2-man fox holes. I hung my rifle on a branch next to the hole and asked my digging buddy to watch it for me (which was fine). "OK", he says and digs on.

When I came back 2 minutes later, both my rifle and my "buddy" were gone. I look around and see one of our sergeants staring at me. I get that sinking feeling as he beelines for me.

"Did you leave your rifle unattended?"
"Uh no, I asked my buddy to watch it and he-"
"He came over with your rifle and told the LT that you had just walked away from it."
:what:

Luckily, the guys next to us had heard the exchange when I left the hole and backed me up that I had followed procedure.

However, this was the Army so I still had to do 30 burpees while yelling "I WILL NOT LEAVE MY WEAPON UNATTENDED".

Buddy, however, got to finish the fox holes by himself, and when we marched back to base, he had to lap the formation with his rifle over his head while yelling "I WILL NOT SNITCH ON MY MATES". All 3 kilometres.

He was known as Snitch for the remaining 7 months.

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

Mzuri posted:

Even though it is more than 20 years ago, I sometimes wake up with a sinking feeling after dreaming about being late and unprepared for formation.

On a field exercise, I had to take a leak while we were digging 2-man fox holes. I hung my rifle on a branch next to the hole and asked my digging buddy to watch it for me (which was fine). "OK", he says and digs on.

When I came back 2 minutes later, both my rifle and my "buddy" were gone. I look around and see one of our sergeants staring at me. I get that sinking feeling as he beelines for me.

"Did you leave your rifle unattended?"
"Uh no, I asked my buddy to watch it and he-"
"He came over with your rifle and told the LT that you had just walked away from it."
:what:

Luckily, the guys next to us had heard the exchange when I left the hole and backed me up that I had followed procedure.

However, this was the Army so I still had to do 30 burpees while yelling "I WILL NOT LEAVE MY WEAPON UNATTENDED".

Buddy, however, got to finish the fox holes by himself, and when we marched back to base, he had to lap the formation with his rifle over his head while yelling "I WILL NOT SNITCH ON MY MATES". All 3 kilometres.

That's some world class buddy loving right there.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Usually my dreams don't involve specific events. They are all variations on the theme of me reenlisting and then spending the rest of the dream in intensifying terror as my increasingly desperate attempts to get out of it fail.

On rare occasions there will be a lost weapon, or packing list layout I didn't pack for.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Itchy_Grundle posted:

That's some world class buddy loving right there.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I will forever love my old unit, 3-325, part of the famed 82d Airborne. Each Batallion has a color theme from the All Americans.

1 was Red Falcons.
2 was White Falcons.
3 was Blue Falcons.

I was a proud Blue Falcon. I loved when we were in Kuwait, and other units would think our PT shirts were a joke.
Nope, real.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Mzuri posted:

Some epic bravo foxtrot

You should change your name to Dyno-Mutt.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Just don't lose your pistol...or else bad things will happen.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Force Pro at Camp Eggers was heading into Kabul on a patrol and had left a M4 on top of their truck and it got lost in Kabul. I don't remember them even searching for it.

Same unit had a ND from a tower later that shot a burst from a SAW into the city as well.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
I've had a recurring dream where I have to go through basic again. I'm standing by a wall locker in the barracks in my old-rear end ACUs. I'm very confused. Why am I here?

The privates are very confused. Why are you here?

The drill sergeants are very confused. Who did you piss off to get sent back here?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

God, I wasn't even "in" in (did ROTC, got to the point of no return for contracting and then said nah for various reasons), but I will have nightmares like once or twice a year that I'm back at Ft. Knox or some other base for a FTX and dealing with whatever BS. Also, I too, had PT test anxiety. The irony is that I'm a faster runner and more fit now than I was when I had to do PT 3-5 days a week.

Oh and speaking of Blue Falcons and missing gear. I'll never forget some rear end in a top hat stealing my reflective belt off my rucksack when I put it down with everyone else's so I could rest, and then getting chewed out like I had lost a rifle over it. If you lose gear, and then steal someone else's gear to cover your own rear end, I hope you loving die in a fire. rear end in a top hat.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Mzuri posted:

That's not snitching! Snitching is if you actually did that poo poo and he threw you under the bus! He just made that poo poo up thats so much worse wtf

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Handsome Ralph posted:

God, I wasn't even "in" in (did ROTC, got to the point of no return for contracting and then said nah for various reasons), but I will have nightmares like once or twice a year that I'm back at Ft. Knox or some other base for a FTX and dealing with whatever BS. Also, I too, had PT test anxiety. The irony is that I'm a faster runner and more fit now than I was when I had to do PT 3-5 days a week.

Oh and speaking of Blue Falcons and missing gear. I'll never forget some rear end in a top hat stealing my reflective belt off my rucksack when I put it down with everyone else's so I could rest, and then getting chewed out like I had lost a rifle over it. If you lose gear, and then steal someone else's gear to cover your own rear end, I hope you loving die in a fire. rear end in a top hat.

It’s really important to create and maintain an accessions program where you’re actively looking out for dishonesty and abusive behavior. It’s easy enough to chew someone out for losing something, but it’s way harder to follow the string back to figure out what happened, why it happened, and who might be lying or concealing jackassery of that degree. Not to say you should hold a tribunal over a reflective belt - but if you’re doing it right then poo poo like this doesn’t happen to begin with.

The US doesn’t always get it right but I’m pretty confident we do it better than the Russian military given the hilarious levels of grift and corruption they’ve been demonstrating since Putin stepped in. He’s also never really trusted them and it shows!

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Flikken posted:

Force Pro at Camp Eggers was heading into Kabul on a patrol and had left a M4 on top of their truck and it got lost in Kabul. I don't remember them even searching for it.

Same unit had a ND from a tower later that shot a burst from a SAW into the city as well.

A friend of mine told me that in Army boot camp after they were done at the rifle range one day they had to police up all their brass. The DS's counted each empty given to them and some poor slob handed him an odd number of empties. The entire platoon then had to spend the next four hours on their hands and knees trying to find that missing bit of brass.

I thought it was a funny story, then later on I realized that the DS was probably concerned that the poor slob might have been trying to smuggle a live round back to barracks.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Prop Wash posted:

It’s really important to create and maintain an accessions program where you’re actively looking out for dishonesty and abusive behavior. It’s easy enough to chew someone out for losing something, but it’s way harder to follow the string back to figure out what happened, why it happened, and who might be lying or concealing jackassery of that degree. Not to say you should hold a tribunal over a reflective belt - but if you’re doing it right then poo poo like this doesn’t happen to begin with.

The US doesn’t always get it right but I’m pretty confident we do it better than the Russian military given the hilarious levels of grift and corruption they’ve been demonstrating since Putin stepped in. He’s also never really trusted them and it shows!

Yeah in all fairness, I didn't expect cadre to start grilling everyone to find out who did it. But it was very annoying to have to stand there for five minutes while a 1st Sgt. yelled at me about accountability and government property while a newly minted 2nd LT stood next to him and chimed in with an occasional :yeah: . I ended up just buying another belt for like five bucks, but it still soured me a little bit.

Though when someone "lost" 4 compasses after a land nav exercise, and they made us look through everything to find it, that was actually kind of funny. Because once the new 2nd LT's left after the world's most mild dressing down, all of the NCO's just went open mic "And this is why officers are loving stupid/R-words, and we hate all of them. Don't be like most of them. Please, we beg you." Like it was the most candid moment and hilarious to boot.

BaconAndBullets
Feb 25, 2011

bulletsponge13 posted:

I will forever love my old unit, 3-325, part of the famed 82d Airborne. Each Batallion has a color theme from the All Americans.

1 was Red Falcons.
2 was White Falcons.
3 was Blue Falcons.

I was a proud Blue Falcon. I loved when we were in Kuwait, and other units would think our PT shirts were a joke.
Nope, real.

I was in Red Falcons '09-'14 and heard about the fabled Blue Falcons. One of my platoon sergeants was in Blue as a 11H back when that was a thing. Sounds like you guys wore that name as a badge of honor.

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?
We had an artillery lad on STAG in the Sanger at PB Attal (between lashkagar and drei junctions),He was loving about with his pistol (was always pistols) and shot his hand, big ole hole in it, obviously we all heard it, Sanger phone rings saying he's been shot, rushed to help obviously we see that he's been shot in the hand by himself, he's later charged for the ND and also not wearing his PPE as his glove had no hole in it 😂😂

MonkeyLibFront fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Apr 6, 2023

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

MonkeyLibFront posted:

We had an artillery land on STAG in the Sanger at PB Attal (between lashkagar and drei junctions),He was loving about with his pistol (was always pistols) and shot his hand, big ole hole in it, obviously we all heard it, Sanger phone rings saying he's been shot, rushed to help obviously we see that he's been shot in the hand by himself, he's later charged for the ND and also not wearing his PPE as his glove had no hole in it 😂😂

Getting an Article 15 for not wearing your gloves while blowing a hole in your hand is the most Army poo poo

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

orange juche posted:

Getting an Article 15 for not wearing your gloves while blowing a hole in your hand is the most Army poo poo

I think we're all missing the big question here:

Was he wearing his PT belt?

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

psydude posted:

I think we're all missing the big question here:

Was he wearing his PT belt?

As Brits, those bastion reflective belts were ridiculous 😂😂

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

MonkeyLibFront posted:

I got bitched at by a 1SG one time for not wearing mine on a blackout FOB.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

MonkeyLibFront posted:

They were to protect us from y'all casually flinging your SA80 barrels in our faces as you got on the bus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

BaconAndBullets posted:

I was in Red Falcons '09-'14 and heard about the fabled Blue Falcons. One of my platoon sergeants was in Blue as a 11H back when that was a thing. Sounds like you guys wore that name as a badge of honor.

I was 2/325, we have all three repped on this forum.