Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

It's lame that Destiny's new difficulty is just a puzzle solved in orbit, IMHO. "We gave the enemies 50% more health so you'd have to use the guns that do 25% more damage in that activity" is not something you actually engage with, in the actual gameplay experience

Like it reminds me of Octopath Traveler where a boss kicks your butt because you didn't have Daggers equipped and his only weakness was Daggers

But then you give everybody Daggers

And then you win it really easily because you had Daggers

We tried to do a master raid using our normal raid loadouts and it was really hard

But then everybody ran the Curated Selection of Surge/Overcharge Weapons and it was really easy

Woohoo?

This is the problem with their idea of difficulty. It’s never about you doing anything different or better it’s just about you being weaker and limited while running basically the same content.

I’d love some optional challenge if it meant something different but the same Lost Sectors except I take a ton more damage and enemies take a ton less isn’t it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I think the concept of a 'build' necessary involves other options and a shifting meta. I think it's kind of a misnomer to refer to "turning on the buffs that make a short list of things better and then equipping the guns the game tells you you're allowed to use" as "buildcrafting."

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
What the hell kind of mechanics are you expecting on patrol

What are you thinking that isn't going to be derided as time wasting ball dunking or wall shooting instantly anyway, considering ron being 4 add clear with brain dead mechanics still isn't easy enough for some of y'all

If your reaction to one (1) patrol space being a little harder is to call bungie arrogant idiots while simultaneously going on about streamers screaming to gatekeeper patrol and lost sectors... maybe take a deep breath

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Mazerunner posted:

What are you thinking that isn't going to be derided as time wasting ball dunking or wall shooting instantly anyway, considering ron being 4 add clear with brain dead mechanics still isn't easy enough for some of y'all

If your reaction to one (1) patrol space being a little harder is to call bungie arrogant idiots while simultaneously going on about streamers screaming to gatekeeper patrol and lost sectors... maybe take a deep breath

I don't think the post was saying what you thought it was saying, tbqh

Does anybody think Neptune is 'too hard'? I thought it was just 'a pain in the rear end, for no reason' which is completely different

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

:33< i KNOW, i was speaking metafurrikitty :33

I think the real problem comes down to the rewards. They made the stick bigger with no regard for the carrot. A harder patrol zone isn't a bad idea on paper but you're smoking crack if you think im engaging with any of that for a handful of glimmer. It stands out all the more when resources feel so scarce right now, giving Bungie the easiest solution possible that they won't take.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Does anybody think Neptune is 'too hard'? I thought it was just 'a pain in the rear end, for no reason' which is completely different

It's this. Can I kill that Wyvern in five loving minutes of nonstop shooting where it can OHKO me? Yes.

Do I want to do that? No.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Lmao that they have to again copy from a superior game for basic functionality re:orbs but are going to do it in a stupid way.

Just give me a vacuum mod for my sentinel ghost

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

shorb to orb

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Bleck posted:

It's this. Can I kill that Wyvern in five loving minutes of nonstop shooting where it can OHKO me? Yes.

Do I want to do that? No.

Do I want to do that in a choreographed encounter in the exotic mission on the optional difficulty where it warns you ahead of time that it’s hard as balls? Sure why not

Do I want to do this every ten minutes on patrol because one randomly wandered over? Much less sure

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

why in the gently caress are wyverns so dangerous, is there a lore explanation for that??

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
If the Vex actually existed their factories would only produce "wyverns" and "bigger wyverns" after a look at the statistics

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

arsenicCatnip posted:

I think the real problem comes down to the rewards. They made the stick bigger with no regard for the carrot. A harder patrol zone isn't a bad idea on paper but you're smoking crack if you think im engaging with any of that for a handful of glimmer. It stands out all the more when resources feel so scarce right now, giving Bungie the easiest solution possible that they won't take.

A handful of glimmer, and One(1) Strand ruble.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Are there any HP/Shield modifiers between classes other than Resilience? Been playing my Warlock I haven’t touched since WQ, and he feels so squishy. He’s only rocking about 30 Resilience, but just feels like he’s made of paper.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Aren't wyverns the only actual combat units? Gobs and minotaurs and harpies and whatever are construction bots.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Zokari posted:

why in the gently caress are wyverns so dangerous, is there a lore explanation for that??

They can just say "No." to precision damage from the front, and half the time they're hunched over anyway so you can't shoot it even if you wanted to.
They also turn on a loving dime if you're trying to fight one solo.

With all the dumbass neomuna "challenge" poo poo, they can also just eat a super and also most of your heavy.

This is what the Gamers crave, obviously.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Reiterpallasch posted:

Aren't wyverns the only actual combat units? Gobs and minotaurs and harpies and whatever are construction bots.

Pretty much, everything else is engineers and cpus

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

There's a lot of stuff that is weird right now, compared to where it was - they probably should revert it so 100 res gives 40% damage reduction, but keep the even scaling (so every ten points gives 4%). They hit everything from so many directions, and imo that would be the easiest way to make things a bit more forgiving without being too drastically different.

The problem with making so many enemies harder to kill is that so much of the lifecycle of a build in action revolves around getting kills - from basic stuff like rampage or kill clip or whatever, to the fundamental core of the new mod system, which is making orbs. There is a breakpoint where a lot of builds just do not work if you are not making and grabbing orbs fast enough, and if you are below that breakpoint the game feels orders of magnitude worse. Primaries getting their base damage boosted should help a lot, but who knows if or when that's actually coming.

At some point I did cross a threshold where I can do pretty much any LLS I want, and it's just a matter of how annoying it is to actually farm. Which has put me in a new weird place, because the LLS actually give two prisms and some cores every single time! As a not raider who has done only a couple dungeons, this has exploded the prism/shard economy, and now glimmer is the number one pain in the rear end holding everything back currency, which apparently can only really be farmed via public events. Public events are fine, but the moment I felt like I had to do them I began to despise them. Which isn't that uncommon with things in destiny, apparently.

Necrobama
Aug 4, 2006

by the sex ghost
Cleared my first LLS* and went Flawless today, the flawless run came in at 7 minutes 40 seconds. Wish Ender, a scout rifle, and an LMG made it hilariously easy and I got a Hoarfrost out of it, to boot.

Forget Bunker, Excavation is where it's at

*that wasn't Bunker

Necrobama fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Apr 6, 2023

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Fuckin oathkeepers dropped for me finally, now I can be the invisible bowshitter I was meant to be

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

I didn't realize til today that strand suspension stuff stuns unstoppables. That's made for some nice build options and frees up a champion-specific weapon slot.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Truspeaker posted:

There's a lot of stuff that is weird right now, compared to where it was - they probably should revert it so 100 res gives 40% damage reduction, but keep the even scaling (so every ten points gives 4%).

Hot take but if they want to balance around how much damage a player can take, they probably just shouldn't have a resilience stat at all - if a stat is so central that every single challenge encounter requires you to have it at maximum, just make the maximum the baseline and take that stat out.

I mean, sequel to my post above about "buildcrafting" - it's super lame that every single build I attempt to create or emulate starts with "have armors with resilience and slot in whatever resilience you need to get max."

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

AzureSkys posted:

I didn't realize til today that strand suspension stuff stuns unstoppables. That's made for some nice build options and frees up a champion-specific weapon slot.

For what it's worth if you didn't notice this (or if someone else comes along to read this) if you hover over the barrier, unstop and overload icons in your inventory it tells you which effects from which specs will do it

I basically never equip an anti-barrier weapon anymore because volatile weapons do it

e: also I'm not like, gun guy or whatever, but Banshee has an Ammit AR2 with incadescent and dynamic sway reduction rn and that seems good?

fast cars loose anus fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Apr 6, 2023

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Can someone tell me how to reliably trigger "weakening or suppressing" with Void? I kinda thought volatile shots did it, but I just couldn't get it to matter no matter what. Is there a more reliable method?

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Hypnobeard posted:

Can someone tell me how to reliably trigger "weakening or suppressing" with Void? I kinda thought volatile shots did it, but I just couldn't get it to matter no matter what. Is there a more reliable method?

What class do you run?

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

PERMACAV 50 posted:

What class do you run?

Warlock.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
I think everyone gets echo of undermining right? That makes your void grenades weaken although it does mean having to potentially save your grenades (and a fat -20 to disc)

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Echo of Undermining like that guy said plus the Child of the Old Gods aspect aka the Void Buddy.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

AzureSkys posted:

Suspend also “stuns” barriers since they can’t do the shields up move while suspended. They’ll probably do it the moment they come down, though

It doesn’t stop overload regen, but it does make it a lot more feasible to use a sword on them

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I throw my hammer at my feet because I'm bad at landing it 😓

My first gm was inverted and my second the same season was the corrupted (twice!)

First GMs would be an interesting graph to see

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I don’t want the game to be challenging. MMOs aren’t popular because the games are challenging. They are popular because they give tons of loot with a 1% chance of getting good loot.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Mazerunner posted:

Nobody asked for patrols to be harder. I can record gameplay to prove I'm not a mouth breather if you want but that's besides the point. Every time they tune difficulty it's always the same poo poo. From GMs to Master content to this new wave of changes and then we spend months screaming to tune it and they are always glacial at eventually doing what everybody told them in the first place. And this is years and years of the same thing everytime they make a bad change. It's tiresome.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Hypnobeard posted:

Wavesplitter, after picking up an orb

Cheap Trick fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Apr 6, 2023

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Id be ok if they take the bottom out of heroic and take it back to og strike level stuff, probably make legend a little easier and make Master like permanent old contest or ratchet it all the way up.

If people want the floor to be lower I don't really care but I don't want the ceiling to suffer for it. If you wanna just lol roll face all over the game using whatever you want fine. Please leave Master stuff alone so I have something to engage with. I'm not trying to play diablo 3 speed runs the fps.

Also, if you wanna do shallow end game stuff than I think its reasonable they expect a shallow engagement with their rpg lite video game. Farming for exotics or pursuing guardian ranks seems like shallow end game stuff and it still only gets easier as you get light.

Huge fan of the vex strike force change

I'm real curious to see how high Dream Warrior comes in as a title.

Per Charlemagne

Kingslayer - 2.6%
Disciple-Slayer - 2.7%
Shadow - 2.9%
Rivensbane - 4.1%
Fatebreaker - 4.7%

Kingslayers been out for six months and is nearly past Disciple-Slayer which is interesting to me. I think VoW is harder in general and I think Master Exhibition was (gently caress you double tapping crossbows) and still is still one of the hardest pieces of content in Destiny. I don't know off hand what I'd say is harder other than pre-patch Avalon or maybe Lightblade boss room before people figured out how to break the AI? Master Gatekeepers before everyone moved over to stasis and pushing mobs off?

Wasn't around for Shadow but respect

Rivensbane requires a flawless but has been out for years so a bit higher as players get to a place they can execute.

MJeff posted:

Look, if you don't wanna be challenged, just go play the raid. :v:

🥲

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

The backbone of build-crafting is Surges & Overcharges which are inactive on Neomuna

They want Neomuna to be a slog

Mission success, but also who cares, Patrol Zones are dead after the expansion is released. When's the last time anyone checked in on Savathun's Throne World?

I go to throne world pretty often. No reason, I already have all the loot. I just think its neat.

So much better than neomuna lol

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

I miss Io.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Zokari posted:

The Vex we're fighting right now are their farmers, scientists, miners, managers. Not the dedicated combat units. Wyverns are the first step towards that.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

DancingShade posted:

I go to throne world pretty often. No reason, I already have all the loot. I just think its neat.

So much better than neomuna lol

Literally anywhere you can't hear nimbus is better than neomuna.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
I haven't stepped foot in Neomuna Patrol once I got the title and weapon frames done. Even if I enjoyed the area, everything takes too long to kill, and the random Thresher or Wyvern murdering you is more annoying than challenging. It's some of the worst enemies in the game, with massive health pools, that do tons of damage, which reward close to nothing for killing them. I hope this experiment doesn't sour them completely, however. With adjustments to patrol difficulty and rewards I think the concept of having certain places feel more dangerous could open the door to revitalizing any number of current patrol destinations.

Remember Flashpoints? A pinnacle for completing bounties, lost sectors, patrols and public events on a specific planet each week. If the difficulty of a patrol zone was bumped to a -5 or -10 LL malus with additional rewards for engaging with Patrol Zone Stuff on the planet (chances at exotics, upgrade materials, whatever), it might encourage people to dick around in patrol a bit more.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Words cannot express how hilarious it is that Apotheosis Veil isn't on the list of exotics they plan on touching lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

It's lame that Destiny's new difficulty is just a puzzle solved in orbit, IMHO.

This has always been Destiny's difficulty, though? Even more so before thanks to Match Game and Equipment Lock (the latter which is still around).

Honestly the new surge/thread is actually cool? It nudges you in a certain direction week to week. It's only fault is that they're being too static about it. Having the two surges all season being strand then void/solar doesn't leave much play for other stuff when you can settle on strand all season. Same with artifacts overcharging those weapon types. Cool idea but having those 4-5 types be THE weapons for a season reduces your choices.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

We tried to do a master raid using our normal raid loadouts and it was really hard

But then everybody ran the Curated Selection of Surge/Overcharge Weapons and it was really easy

Woohoo?

Also this is a pretty drat choice of a complaint "oh we tried the challenging hard version of the raid making no changes whatsoever to our loadouts and it was hard" .

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Apr 6, 2023