Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I've probably mentioned it in here before but I used to love this 90s program on Discovery called Movie Magic. It was all about the behind the scenes stuff like this. I LOVED seeing the miniatures and matte paintings and the insanely detailed poo poo that they built.

I'm pretty sure they had a Starship Troopers segment. Also Alien Resurrection. Unless those were other shows. Discovery used to have cool stuff.
edit: it ran from 1994-1997. It was SOOOOOO good. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108865/
Reading old issues of Cinefex was so great for showing the insane lengths the artists used to have to go to in order to made the VFX work in the pre-CG days. I do wonder if a contributing factor to the magazine closing a few years ago was that so many articles became "We used the FWOOMF and SPLURJ plugins in ZAPP to simulate fire and water, then waited ten hours for our GPU farm to render each frame" with gripping behind-the-scenes photos of people pointing at a monitor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
One of the best gifts I ever got as a kid was a huge pile of Starlog and Starburst magazines. My mother's boyfriend (a boring person) had a very cool workmate who gave him the pile go pass onto me. I read every single one so many times, even taking them on holiday to read (again) while camping.

I'm now wondering if this is the same workmate who gave him a grainy 10th generation pirate VHS of Aliens that I watched so many times. I dunno, but maybe. Either way, that random dude/dudes in the 1980s provided me with a foundational love of both Aliens (the movie) and sci-fi and practical special effects in general.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
If anyone wants to see some instructional behind the scenes movie stuff, check out The Stan Winston School of Character Arts. Sign up for a free 7-day trial, and there are loads of tutorial vids where industry pros and alums of Stan Winston Effects show you how to actually do the movie magic stuff. From animatronics to latex creatures to painting, they cover a bit of everything. I've used a load of the info provided there for my hobbies, but it's great stuff for anyone who wants to see how exactly they make a creature move, or get dimensional paint effects on a flat surface, or how to build a puppet.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
This is funny to me because when I was a kid I tried to figure out little stuff like who Wierzbowski was and what was written on everyone’s gear and I was sure it said “fly me friendly” on her helmet.

It’s actually “fly the friendly skies” ofc but from this angle…

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
My friend's mom looked like Ferro and she wore aviators and we laughed about it.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Idk if it was here or from my buddy that loving loves Aliens, but Another Glorious Day in the Corps is getting a reprint! I also heard rumor of new missions and Ferro/Spunkmeyer possibly being added too, but i don’t remember much more.

https://www.gf9games.com/aliens/1690/theyre-back/

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

My friend's mom looked like Ferro and she wore aviators and we laughed about it.

Yeah, just like we laughed about microwave's mom.

Hahaha, we would laugh. And, are there any more in that set?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

"I wish I'd stop laughing so hard I wet myself every time I have that dream about FerroMom"

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
"Man, Dave's mom rocking those aviators really tickles my funnybone IYKWIM"
Young Pennywise: "Yes. I definitely know what you mean."

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Icon Of Sin posted:

Idk if it was here or from my buddy that loving loves Aliens, but Another Glorious Day in the Corps is getting a reprint! I also heard rumor of new missions and Ferro/Spunkmeyer possibly being added too, but i don’t remember much more.

https://www.gf9games.com/aliens/1690/theyre-back/

I own all of this, and the figures are amazing.

Sadly, it is a terrible game with massively over-complex systems for just shooting guns at aliens, and every mission is just grinding, loving *grinding*, through a wall of aliens towards the exit.

I'm going to just use the figures and build a board to their scale to use them to play the old Leading Edge Aliens game which still holds up 30 years later.

It's a shame, as the components are all high quality, and there are some amazing 3rd party resin scenery pieces to make the boards look gorgeous, but the game... it gives me no pleasure to say the game is awful.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Parkingtigers posted:

Sadly, it is a terrible game with massively over-complex systems for just shooting guns at aliens, and every mission is just grinding, loving *grinding*, through a wall of aliens towards the exit.

As do I, and I actually enjoy it. Playing it isn’t a slog like playing the Doom 2016 board game :v:

Weapon ranges? Card-based activation order? Random effects played by the invader? Card-based defense system whose icons do different things for different demons? It’s all there :suicide:

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Spunkmeyer is just an objectively fun name to say

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Parkingtigers posted:

I own all of this, and the figures are amazing.

I'm going to just use the figures and build a board to their scale to use them to play the old Leading Edge Aliens game which still holds up 30 years later.

It's a shame, as the components are all high quality, and there are some amazing 3rd party resin scenery pieces to make the boards look gorgeous, but the game... it gives me no pleasure to say the game is awful.

I feel like a lot of licensed board games fall into this trap especially Kickstarted ones like the Dark Souls and Bloodborne board games come to mind.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Spunkmeyer is just an objectively fun name to say

I can't imagine a military unit where everyone isn't just calling them Spunky.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Some moron in boot got the name Spanky by the DIs.

Another was Havichith and they called him Ha-bitch-a-bitch.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

The Zombie Guy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XdP26I_v68

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

The Zombie Guy posted:

Knowing how notorious marines are for being bored and crass and how nicknames quickly evolve, I'd imagine they'd go straight to calling him 'Jizz'.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Neo Rasa posted:

I feel like a lot of licensed board games fall into this trap especially Kickstarted ones like the Dark Souls and Bloodborne board games come to mind.

I mean, some people like it, and I've had these same discussions at much greater length over on BGG with people who swear they love it. But it's just so odd as it's by Gale Force 9 and they have put out a ton of good games, and it seemed to have a long development cycle.

The problem I have is that every mission is the reactor room scene from the movies. The marines are suddenly outnumbered and overwhelmed and fighting desperately to escape. Now that works in the movie because they only do it once, and they are hampered by lack of weapons and incompetent leadership, and it's first contact with a new and unexpected enemy. When mission after mission does it then they are all turned up to 11, there's no variety, no ebb and flow.

Take the first scenario, which has the marines entering into the complex. You have to move to check out several locations and (randomly) find Newt then exit pursued by aliens. It's the reactor room with a slightly slower start and a need to pick up a missing civvie along the way. It's not "we've met aliens, get back out to the APC/dropship" which would make sense in that setup, it's about running deeper into the complex chased by monsters and THEN facing the reactor room scenario.

A simple change to just that first scenario, to make it a combat encounter that remains smaller than the reactor room, and without bursting that aura of invincibility the marines have (which is the entire narrative lynchpin of the reactor room scene) would be to make it a sweep and clear scenario. Approach the alien spawn points, weld them shut (and being that close to spawn makes it risky) and kill all aliens on the board. It would be thematic, playable, and establishing a safe zone matches the movie and is different from the next scenario. Requires no new rules or game mechanics. But nope, just facegrind the horde.

There's also just Too Many Aliens. Each blip in the game isn't one alien, but 1 - 5, with the model on the board getting a stack of counters under its base for the other 1 - 4 aliens standing in that same square. So you can turn a lot of cards, rotate a lot of dials, roll a lot of dice, and remove a lot of counters, and all your (successful) shooting for the turn can leave the board looking basically identical.

And I'm not joking about it being all those actions. You have a really interesting system where you have a deck of cards to represent hazards and wargear and events. And you have to burn through that deck to attempt actions, and run out of cards and they start getting discarded instead and you gradually get fewer of them. So over time, you can do fewer actions. That's a fun and interesting system. But every time you fire your gun, you don't just burn a card. No, that's paying for the shot. If you could burn the cards, and shoot as much as you want, and have the cards be successes but make it a pure card management thing that would be cool as hell. But you are limited to only two actions per turn, which stops it being just about using the cards which makes the cards less interesting.

So then you have to roll dice to hit. Simple, effective, standard board game stuff. But each shot you take reduces your aim for the next shot, so you have to change your aim dial. So more shots, more chance to miss, and that is also a cool as hell idea, but you've already got the card burning thing so you are being punished for taking the extra shots twice over. And there's no point in not shooting because if an alien grabs you then the defence is to fire your gun (also burning a card, also rolling dice, and also lowering your aim) so might as well just shoot until you fail in your own turn, removing any choice in the matter.

Burn a card, roll a dice, turn a dial to reduce aim, score a hit, pick up the model and remove a counter. Repeat. Repeat if the gun is "full auto" and allows multiple shots with one action. It's so many steps to do such a basic thing. Meanwhile someone has to be assigned to make "rest" actions just to recharge the card deck. It's systems on systems on systems when it should be about positioning and movement and player choices.

I've had situations where putting Hudson (better at melee) with a knife in a doorway stabbing aliens in the front stack to block the (literally) 25 aliens behind that front stack was a better choice than having him shoot his pulse rifle at them because he was statistically likely to only be able to kill maybe 3 of them (while weakening the card deck) and the other 20+ aliens would then murder him because it's just not possible to kill that many aliens at once. The game comes with 26 alien figures, and a whole pile of counters to stick under their bases, and I've run out of both aliens and counters in games before because the board is full and it's still churning more on to the table because "wall of xenomorphs" is how its designed.

Even with the expansion that adds some more scenarios, that scene where the alien queen hitches a ride on the landing gear of the drop ship? The scenario is exactly that, but this time there was also 50 aliens that did the same, spawning from the landing gear like they rode it up like a dangling barrel o' monkeys. No cleverness or artistry to the design, just wall of aliens enjoy spending hours of busywork making their numbers go down.

Sorry, ranting, but I hate it. But I kinda don't care as the dollies were good and I got my money's worth from them and at some point I absolutely will get to use them in other projects.

Fate of the Nostromo is a fantastic Alien game that delivers on the concept of what it does, and that one is well worth picking up. The Aliens game is only for people who are willing to assemble (and probably paint) the figures, because they aren't even pre-built but require a lot of work from expert hobbyists. Which is me, I didn't mind that, but for casuals it's another strike against picking these up. The tails alone are a *nightmare* to glue in, and I used the hot water technique to shape them for variety and because the design of the game requires that you cram a dozen of them very close together which... as they come is just not possible because the tail of the front rank stops the one behind being able to fit on their square, which affects the ones behind.

gently caress it, at some point I'll likely crack and do a full rules rewrite because the components are so nice I *WANT* to use them. I do urge people to at least watch a video and decide if it looks fun for them before picking it up, because right now it's split between people who see to really like it, and people like me who are massively disappointed.

edit: the dollies are very nice, and they do sell these separately if you want just the figures and not the game that comes with it, I will finally paint the marines soon. Honest.

"What do you mean they cut the power? They're just animals."

Parkingtigers fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Apr 6, 2023

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Parkingtigers posted:

I mean, some people like it, and I've had these same discussions at much greater length over on BGG with people who swear they love it. But it's just so odd as it's by Gale Force 9 and they have put out a ton of good games, and it seemed to have a long development cycle.

After Sean Sweigart died and Aaron Dill left, there was a pretty significant drop in the quality of their games.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
I saw this and it got me thinking about Aliens.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Fall Dog posted:

I, too, view things that are explicitly about Alien and think about Alien

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
That reminds me, noted nu-metal scatman dubstep dad Jonathan Davis has a custom microphone stand designed by Giger:

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Mister Speaker posted:

That reminds me, noted nu-metal scatman dubstep dad Jonathan Davis has a custom microphone stand designed by Giger:

Go!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Mister Speaker posted:

Such a cool piece.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Fall Dog posted:

that would be a cool as hell halligan bar

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
I am really not sure what to tell you if "The 90s" And "Giger" bring up anything other than Tool in your mind.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzrRoDd9CxM

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Well for starters i don't like tool :v:

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

HiroProtagonist posted:

20 years ago I would have given you poo poo, but like what you like

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Enjoy your pretentious art rock now excuse me while i put on my rush x dream theater prog mix :smug:

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

HiroProtagonist posted:

Enjoy your pretentious art rock now excuse me while i put on my rush x dream theater prog mix :smug:

jokes on you. I also like those bands
call me when you listen to Andrew WK

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

jokes on you. I also like those bands
call me when you listen to Andrew WK
just dropping this here cause I like to

https://www.stereogum.com/2015589

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I am really not sure what to tell you if "The 90s" And "Giger" bring up anything other than Tool in your mind.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzrRoDd9CxM

Carcass? If you had said 'the 80s', then Celtic Frost.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

HiroProtagonist posted:

A person of taste, I see.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Conspiracy theory: Maynard James Keenan and Scott Adams are actually the same person.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Why did those dumbass marines initially discount Vasquez's theory of dropping in seven cans of CN20 and nerve gassing the nest? Obviously they had no way of knowing if it would work but it seems a better idea than welding yourself into a lab and waiting 27 days for rescue that may also be wiped out.

I've gone back and watched all Alien films since this thread opened and there's literally only two good ones. Alien and Aliens. 3 is a personal favourite and could have been so much more, but it's several levels below the original two.

Aliens might be an example of the perfect film - I can't find a single flaw in it. Narratively or functionally. Just amazing storytelling.

Edit: ok Newt's line delivery isn't great but her acting is good.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Bishop saying he prefers the term Artificial Person over the term Synthetic. Later in the film when he has to crawl through the pipe, he calls himself a Synthetic. Is this some clever jibe at racism? Like Bishop says "don't worry about me boss, I'm only a Synthetic!"

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Bishop saying he prefers the term Artificial Person over the term Synthetic. Later in the film when he has to crawl through the pipe, he calls himself a Synthetic. Is this some clever jibe at racism? Like Bishop says "don't worry about me boss, I'm only a Synthetic!"

I'd like to think he is otherizing himself to help the humans agree with the objectively correct plan he puts forth because he's just that nice. Bishop crew 4Eva

E:it also ties in nicely with the cut part of the script where he can 'see' xenos through the walls of the passage with cool android sonar but they can't quite figure his signature out and ignore him, whereas they would have made a human a snack

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
The Queen still rips him in half. She might recognise he's no good for reproduction but he's clearly still a predator/prey.

I agree on your first point though, Bishop has this sad resignation that he's the only person qualified to "pilot the ship from autopilot anyway".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Kosmo Gallion posted:

The Queen still rips him in half. She might recognise he's no good for reproduction but he's clearly still a predator/prey.

What, is a threatening biomechanical analogue of detached ur-maternity just NOT going to violently penetrate an androgenous perfect surrogate paternal figure in a cinematic spray of viscous white fluid?!? I don't want to live in that world

But yeah