Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

grupthink 11 minutes ago | next [–]

A computer is a computer, and our universe is a computer. So, it's possible we're living in a simulation but not one that was intentionally constructed by a higher life form, but rather, a simulation that emerged from nature (e.g. electrons whizzing along the surface of silica rock on a desolate planet). Our universe could recursively be computers all the way down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
whoa.. hey kid. what if, like, I'm a computer. Stop all the downloading maaaaaaan.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

hackers are talking geopolitics

ben_w 48 minutes ago | root | parent | prev | next [–]

Mindlessly belligerent, yes.
"Any reason" is a bit of a stretch — I doubt Putin has a dice with country names on it — but given how dumb it was to invade Ukraine, it's not unreasonable to assume he's dumb enough to try Japan.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

thaumasiotes 1 hour ago | root | parent | next [–]

Communism is attacking billionaires, using an increasingly inclusive definition of "billionaires".
All I'm doing is observing that not only is "if we don't defend the billionaires, they'll come after us commoners next" true, it is a major feature of recent history. That sentence could serve as a decent summary of the 20th century.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

fritz posted:

Communism is attacking billionaires, using an increasingly inclusive definition of "billionaires".
All I'm doing is observing that not only is "if we don't defend the billionaires, they'll come after us commoners next" true, it is a major feature of recent history. That sentence could serve as a decent summary of the 20th century.

Hey now! Just because I own a billion dollars worth of stock and real estate, doesn't mean I'm a billionaire!

The only true billionaires are people who have a billion dollars in physical cash.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
actually i think you'll find that i don't own anything, how can u judge me just for being the sole beneficiary of a multi-billion-dollar trust that i also direct entirely at my own discretion?

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

lobsterminator posted:

Hey now! Just because I own a billion dollars worth of stock and real estate, doesn't mean I'm a billionaire!

The only true billionaires are people who have a billion dollars in physical cash.
Paper money is no good, it's got to be a vault full of gold coins with a diving board.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

gsibble 3 hours ago | parent | context | next [–] | on: Bob Lee, former CTO of Square, has died after bein...

Bob was a good friend, tried to hire me numerous tries at Square, and was my next door neighbor for 3 years. I knew him well and spent a lot of time with him. He will be dearly missed.
I have been told from very well placed sources in the US Intelligence community this is probably a hit.
That being said, I left San Francisco in 2018 because I was worried I would eventually become the random murder that would finally wake up the tech world to what an absolute crime ridden shithole San Francisco is. Don't quote statistics at me. I had numerous police officer friends who told me the statistics are all fake since they purposefully don't report over 50% of the crime in order to keep the city looking halfway decent since so much of it depends upon tourist revenue.
I tried for years to tell my friends the city needed to take the crime problem more seriously and the response I always got was dismissal or that "it's no worse than any other major city."
Well, I live in another major city now and I can tell you with great certainty, SF is much, much, much worse.
And now a good friend is loving dead.
gently caress San Francisco.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

lobsterminator posted:

this is effectively no one. not even floyd mayweather has that much cash

yes i realize :thejoke:

izagoof
Feb 14, 2004

Grimey Drawer

fritz posted:

gsibble 3 hours ago | parent | context | next [–] | on: Bob Lee, former CTO of Square, has died after bein...

Bob was a good friend, tried to hire me numerous tries at Square, and was my next door neighbor for 3 years. I knew him well and spent a lot of time with him. He will be dearly missed.
I have been told from very well placed sources in the US Intelligence community this is probably a hit.
That being said, I left San Francisco in 2018 because I was worried I would eventually become the random murder that would finally wake up the tech world to what an absolute crime ridden shithole San Francisco is. Don't quote statistics at me. I had numerous police officer friends who told me the statistics are all fake since they purposefully don't report over 50% of the crime in order to keep the city looking halfway decent since so much of it depends upon tourist revenue.
I tried for years to tell my friends the city needed to take the crime problem more seriously and the response I always got was dismissal or that "it's no worse than any other major city."
Well, I live in another major city now and I can tell you with great certainty, SF is much, much, much worse.

I love that all these dumbasses ruined SF (I moved away 20 years ago so I missed the worst of it thankfully), completely hate it, and yet can't move away because every other dumb rear end in a top hat lives there and cannot think outside their bubble

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
hn thread: I have been told from very well placed sources in the US Intelligence community this is probably a hit

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
hn thread: i had numerous police officer friends who told me

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

alwillis 3 minutes ago | root | parent | next [–]

We’ve seen many instances of documents that weren’t highly thought of at the time of their publication, with that changing radically later.
Vannevar Bush‘s essay “As We May Think” in 1945 is a visionary document that describes technologies we take for granted today more than 70 years ago.
It’s possible the Bitcoin white paper will be looked at in similar ways, especially if Bitcoin ends up being one mankind’s most important inventions in addition to being a critically important financial asset.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
I'm going to wipe my rear end with the bitcoin shite paper. Cheers.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

"I am sitting in the smallest room in my house with your whitepaper before me. Soon, it will be behind me."

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

IIRC the bitcoin white paper is more “this is a neat little system for using PoW to build decentralized trust blah blah” and less “hodl diamond hands death to fiatbros”, but I’m certainly not going to go back and re-read it now.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

fritz posted:

guarantee this dude considers being poor and/or homeless a crime

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Pile Of Garbage posted:

guarantee this dude considers being poor and/or homeless a crime

Having multiple police officer friends is a red flag.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

which one of you is this

ZeroGravitas 41 minutes ago | unvote | prev | next [–]

People are so wedded to fossil fuel religion, they'd rather pretend their country is entirely incapable of the most basic tasks.
China isn't playing by the pretend limitations you put on yourself and it looks like you've already admitted they deserve to be the new hegemon. Yay for totalitarian communism I guess.

The stat that 80% of the UK queue might be effectively domain squatters with no actual project waiting to flip to real developers is shocking. Pure rent seeking middlemen.

Though at the same time, it means all the other stats are BS. Like saying that a concert is sold out and there's no way to get a ticket until the next time they visit in 5 years time because 80% have been sold to scalper's bots. It just doesn't logically add up. The tickets are available, you just need to pay a markup to a scalper who performs no real service to society.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)

distortion park posted:

which one of you is this

ZeroGravitas 41 minutes ago | unvote | prev | next [–]

People are so wedded to fossil fuel religion, they'd rather pretend their country is entirely incapable of the most basic tasks.
China isn't playing by the pretend limitations you put on yourself and it looks like you've already admitted they deserve to be the new hegemon. Yay for totalitarian communism I guess.

The stat that 80% of the UK queue might be effectively domain squatters with no actual project waiting to flip to real developers is shocking. Pure rent seeking middlemen.

Though at the same time, it means all the other stats are BS. Like saying that a concert is sold out and there's no way to get a ticket until the next time they visit in 5 years time because 80% have been sold to scalper's bots. It just doesn't logically add up. The tickets are available, you just need to pay a markup to a scalper who performs no real service to society.

:goonsay:

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

lobsterminator posted:

Having multiple police officer friends is a red flag.

hell, having just one cop friend is a red flag

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

rjmccall posted:

hn thread: I have been told from very well placed sources in the US Intelligence community this is probably a hit

you'd think if his friend was killed by targetted assassination that would be more the main point of the post rather than a single line leading up to more general complaints about low level crime

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
obviously targeted assassination has become a low-level crime in sf, that’s how out of control it is

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

rjmccall posted:

obviously targeted assassination has become a low-level crime in sf, that’s how out of control it is

how could chesa let this happen

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

quote:

deltree7 4 days ago | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: The Contradictions of Sam Altman

chatGPT, like Google search has essentially democratized knowledge and wisdom to every human on planet earth.

OTOH, it's the governments that have banned it.

Do you think the citizen's of Italy are better off because of chatGPT?

Corporations are more benevolent than government

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

fritz posted:

perhaps this dude should first worry about getting a job and then worry if billionaires might have it a bit rough

quote:

thaumasiotes 20 days ago | parent | context | next [–] | on: Triplebyte acquired by Karat

To give a different perspective, I applied to Triplebyte when they announced their project track for people who don't do well in interviews. They told me I had done a great job on the project, but that they couldn't move me forward because they needed candidates who could do well in interviews.

(What was the project track for??)

They recommended practicing on interviewing.io, a site with closed membership that kept me waitlisted for over a year (and only then let me in because I complained about the situation on HN, not because I'd actually waited long enough to get off the waitlist).

So as far as I could see, Triplebyte advertised one thing, delivered the opposite at every opportunity (I'm also still bitter that the site with the tagline "No resumes, just show us you can code" opened its interviews with "So, where have you worked in the past, and what did you do there?"), and didn't even pretend to be interested enough to give you advice that was, theoretically, possible to follow.

Its a Rolex
Jan 23, 2023

Hey, posting is posting. You emptyquote, I turn my monitor on; what's the difference?
I've never heard of this Triplebyte interview thing, but "where did you work/what did you do" sounds like a totally innocuous and reasonable thing to ask and a pretty easy question to answer

Or did TripleByte seriously mean "Just submit a project and you will receive a job, we won't speak a word to you until you show up on your first day of work outside the offer letter"

mystes
May 31, 2006

Its a Rolex posted:

I've never heard of this Triplebyte interview thing, but "where did you work/what did you do" sounds like a totally innocuous and reasonable thing to ask and a pretty easy question to answer

Or did TripleByte seriously mean "Just submit a project and you will receive a job, we won't speak a word to you until you show up on your first day of work outside the offer letter"
Literally the entire point of triplebyte was to give people tests rather than looking at their resumes or giving interviews. They were a company that was supposed to recruit people for tech companies by providing exactly that service.

I don't think they promised zero interviews exactly, so maybe that poster is wrong in that respect, but I'm not sure they're really misrepresenting TripleByte in general or anything.

mystes fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Apr 6, 2023

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

imagine wanting to hire someone and add them to your team without a conversation about how they work. just some real “spin the chamber” energy to it

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
triplebyte's thing was about replacing the algorithms/design/trivial technical interviews with a project, not eliminating talking to the candidate entirely

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It seems like that HN poster is upset because they really wanted a way to skip the character interviews in addition to the technical ones.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

no_wizard 1 hour ago | parent | prev | next [–]

This definitely doesn't address that the Chinese government is centrally only interested in furthering their own interests, often without care or regard to its expense, and nothing can hold them accountable.
With the US and US hegemony, you can actually hold someone accountable. Bad actors can be protested, outed, and dealt with peacefully.
What I am not saying is the US acts with best interests of others in mind all the time - this isn't true either, and I'm not taking an extreme here on this, US has plenty of issues on the world stage (and as an American, at home too) - but centrally, we can be held accountable (and often are, esp. if you can get the US public opinion on your side).
You have zero recourse with China, if they decide to muscle into something, or support a horribly oppressive dictatorship to extract your national resources, there is zero - and I mean zero - way to appeal to any authority for intervention.
Yes, I'm perfectly aware we propped up dictatorships and overthrew governments, but I'm also aware of the fact that there were massive protests in the streets upon revelations of many doings that ultimately lead to them being undone or the US backing off, you have something of recourse there, you can deal with the US government in some discernible way you just can't with the CCP & Chinese government actors.
This has to be accounted for in the conversation when talking about international relations, especially when talking about "new hegemony" as it were.
I also question the assertion that the "world" has some massive distaste for the US. Unless world means China.
When Europe needs military assistance, who shows up?
When Australia, Taiwan, South Korea, New Zealand need assistance, who's right there, hands open?
Which nation has taken a very public and consistent stance against Russian military intervention in the Ukraine and committed billions of dollars in assistance without blinking?
I'll give you a hint: its not China

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Jabor posted:

It seems like that HN poster is upset because they really wanted a way to skip the character interviews in addition to the technical ones.

Yeah it’s this. TripleByte actually does a pretty good job of finding nontraditional candidates for SWE roles. But you still have to not piss down your leg to get a job.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

czbond 5 minutes ago | prev | next [–]

I've always believed a main weakness of humans are the wide range of emotions many have and their influence on decision making. I've always believed if we could cull out say.... 60% of emotions and get to logical decision making - that humanity could excel. Heck - I'd even wondered if CRISPR could help with that.
This is the real usefulness for me of AGI - to help the emotional see the error of their ways and possibly use higher level logic, rather than base emotional logic, for decision making.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

bitL 10 minutes ago | unvote | root | parent | prev | next [–]

That's why one should just move to Dubai and escape Germany and its crazy taxes and health insurance costs.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

fwlr 11 minutes ago | prev | next [–]

A proposal for upgrading these “safe use sites” (if we’re going to have them, might as well have good ones):
The use site has a (24/7 guarded) attached pharmacy with government-produced clean heroin, meth, etc. Users can trade in their drug, the pharmacist runs it through a mass spec analyzer and dispenses back to them an amount of pharmaceutical-grade drug of interest, the amount dispensed being equal to the fraction that is present in whatever cut/mixed drug sample they handed in.
In addition to the obvious safety benefits of only consuming guaranteed-pure drugs, the drug user gets an on-the-spot and very salient piece of information about the quality of the drug they purchased. This creates a lot of precise and accurate drug quality information and feeds it back into the drug abuse cycle. A user buys from a dealer, and right before their first hit they get a purity score to evaluate their dealer with - and maybe some information about what other drugs their dealer just tried to poison them with.
(To avoid some obvious risks: the tested drug sample should be immediately ejected from the analyzer into a denaturing bath and regularly incinerated, so that handed-in drugs are not a theft or recycling target. You probably need to mandate they can trade in only the dose they are about take, and they have to take it on the spot, so that government supplies do not leak back into the streets. There are certainly other failure modes too, a close eye should be kept on this and further processes brought in as needed.)

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Putting everything else, uh, aside for them moment: Does this person think a mass spectrometer is a Star Trek computer? "*chirp chirp* Sample is 72.3 percent pure. Replicating heroin...."

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
absolutely

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

mrmcd posted:

Putting everything else, uh, aside for them moment: Does this person think a mass spectrometer is a Star Trek computer? "*chirp chirp* Sample is 72.3 percent pure. Replicating heroin...."

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
reisse 1 hour ago | parent | next [–]

One thinks about crypto as a clownworld only until one had to work with or inside the real financial system.

Techincally, it is in no way better than crypto. The only difference is that in real financial system there is a strong legal cover for all the technical and security fuckups. Like, stealing from bank by exploiting their 10-years old Windows XP ATM connected to the internet is 10-years-in-jail offence, while stealing crypto may be hard or impossible to prosecute in many jurisdictions.

VHRanger 1 hour ago | root | parent | prev | next [–]

Also, banking is dealing with massive legacy codebases.

You get to write your own new stuff in crypto, there aren't excuses for loving up on best practices