Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Time to plan a California 2023 Superbloom trip, if you are into that kind of thing. Typical flowering dates.

The best superblooms occur with huge rainfalls after several years of drought. The preceeding drought years reduce competition from grasses.

Downsides: other people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Don't go to Lake Elsinore, it's closed after their city got destroyed by Instagrammers the last time.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Nice lake.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

I really like Carrizo Plain in the off-season. If you go any time other than the wildflower bloom, you have the entire quarter million acres to yourself. It's an excellent winter camping spot.

Sublimer
Sep 20, 2007
get yo' game up

bird with big dick posted:

I’m back, bitches

Nice! How are you liking it??

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Pretty happy so far. Glad I went with the manual and there was no chance I wasn't going to get 2 door & sasquatch package.

Took it to some rocky desert "roads" near my house and the crawl gear in high range was perfect for them, 1st in high was a little too bouncy over the rocks. And crawl in low is pretty nice. Slow enough. Wouldn't hurt my feelings if it was even a little lower though.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

bird with big dick posted:

Wouldn't hurt my feelings if it was even a little lower though.

I think drat near everyone says that about first/low, though.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Anyone done Black Bear or Imogen Pass?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Anza Borrego was mobbed. My suspension really shines doing 40mph down a wash though.

Where do all of these people get money for a Super Duty and a 40' toy hauler trailer and a side by side?

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

FogHelmut posted:

Anza Borrego was mobbed. My suspension really shines doing 40mph down a wash though.

Where do all of these people get money for a Super Duty and a 40' toy hauler trailer and a side by side?
Buying dumb poo poo is quite easy when you're either the heir to a lip balm fortune or work a decent job and put 0% of your income into savings or emergency funds.

A guy I know finally took delivery on a new Bronco and the monthly bill is so much his budget is strapped and he can't afford to do any mods he wanted.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Christ, I don't even know what I'd do with a brand new offroader. All my trip planning revolves around my van's repair schedule.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Wait, you guys are off-roading? :comeback:

One day I will actually have my alleged off-road jeep ready to use off-road.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

ryanrs posted:

I really like Carrizo Plain in the off-season. If you go any time other than the wildflower bloom, you have the entire quarter million acres to yourself. It's an excellent winter camping spot.

I live just an hour west. There's great offroading out there southwest of there, and it actually a nearly totally offroad route straight to the last California drivable beach, the Oceano Dunes SVRA. It'd be an incredible AI Offroading trip and just 45min west of I5 @ Buttonwillow.

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Feb 20, 2023

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

DJ Commie posted:

I live just an hour west. There's great offroading out there southwest of there, and it actually a nearly totally offroad route straight to the last California drivable beach, the Oceano Dunes SVRA. It'd be an incredible AI Offroading trip and just 45min west of I5 @ Buttonwillow.

Woah, I live in Nipomo, please tell me more.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Tell me more about the Central Coast!

I used to go that bit of Los Padres NF in Monterey Co, but it's been closed SO MUCH over the last few years, for various good and bad reasons. I've kinda given up on it.

So I'm looking for nice winter weather, and a place where I can drive around and set up camp at the end of some spur, and preferably not see any other people.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Aquila posted:

Weird finding stuff like this out after the fact, my in-laws used to live in Santa Maria up on a dirt road off 166 and half of my grandparents in law live in Nipomo.

If you ever need tires done, I was really happy with Nipomo Tire when they did the ones on our RV before a high stakes road trip.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Is there any off road / fire roads in Los Padres NF in San Luis Obispo or Santa Barbara Counties? I'm looking for something like 4x4 dispersed camping, if that makes sense.

I drove up and down 33 but I didn't see any promising looking roads going off into the forest. Just a couple of small fee campgrounds which looked pretty meh.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Aquila posted:

58 west to Red Hill Rd (dirt) , to Pozo Rd(dirt to paved), to High Mountain Road (dirt) drops you in Lopez Canyon. There's also La Panza Rd bypass that is "maintained" dirt.

ryanrs posted:

Is there any off road / fire roads in Los Padres NF in San Luis Obispo or Santa Barbara Counties? I'm looking for something like 4x4 dispersed camping, if that makes sense.

I drove up and down 33 but I didn't see any promising looking roads going off into the forest. Just a couple of small fee campgrounds which looked pretty meh.

I know most of them, send me a message and I'll get you a kmz or something. My knowledge extends past but my knowlege is primary more north of SB County and are the areas from Buttonwillow across to Santa Margarita and south to Lopez are where I grew up and offroad all the time.

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Feb 23, 2023

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

For those not local, this is average January weather in San Luis Obispo:

(offer not valid this weekend)

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

ryanrs posted:

For those not local, this is average January weather in San Luis Obispo:

Stop showing people these lies. I can assure everyone that it is cold, snowy, icy, and miserable here in the winter, then immediately becomes hot, humid, buggy, and miserable here in the spring summer and fall.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

This is actually what San Luis Obispo looks like as of 7am. Note this is a once in a decade thing, and there hasn't been this much snowfall predicted since 1988. It also only looks like this because I am at 1900ft.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

San Bernardino Mountain trails (Big Bear etc) are closed until June 30.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Does anyone ITT have one of the new Rangers? I've been researching all kinds of 4x4s and I've zeroed in on the Ranger FX4. It feels like a good fit because I'll have a truck for truck stuff, I can fit a car seat for the little one, and it's super capable offroad for some off-roading day and overnight trips. Just curious to hear any goon experiences owning one.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

IIRC, the Ranger has better off-road gimmicks for the same price/equivalent trim, but the Colorado has a bigger back seat.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

I drive a 2020(?) ranger fx4 crew cab for work with the blm and i like it quite a bit. I've got a few minor quibbles with it but overall it's been great. The backseat is small for sure but it's workable.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

Ehud posted:

Does anyone ITT have one of the new Rangers? I've been researching all kinds of 4x4s and I've zeroed in on the Ranger FX4. It feels like a good fit because I'll have a truck for truck stuff, I can fit a car seat for the little one, and it's super capable offroad for some off-roading day and overnight trips. Just curious to hear any goon experiences owning one.

I daily a 2019 XLT FX4 that I picked up last winter. I got it for a really good deal certified with Ford doing .99% for about 10k less than it was new with 17k on it. It's got enough scratches on it that I'm not worried about using it.

The good:

2.3 is great, lots of torque. 10 speed can be hunty but it's fine for daily driving and it can be pretty rowdy if you ask it to be.
Mileage is fine, can be pretty ok on longer trips if you try for it (best I've gotten is 27 indicated, probably actually 26ish).
Drivetrain is relatively well proven, 10 speed should be reliable over time - it's the same as in the F150 but very understressed with the 2.3.
There's room to actually work on it if you need to.
Drives like a truck, rides okay enough, seats are pretty good.
FX4 will have an e-locker.
If you find one without the tow package, you can add a receiver for $180 and it's pre-wired for a 7 pin underneath.
Heated cloth seats are amazing.

The bad:

Ford in general - the dealership experience sucks.
Even if you get the tow package it won't come with a trailer brake controller. You have to wire an aftermarket one into the third brake light to get emergency braking/adaptive cruise braking for the trailer, which involves pulling down the headliner on one side. Dumb.
Interior is dated, so if you're picky you'll probably think it's trash. Lots of plastic. Dash will rattle and squeak some.
Rear seat bottom isn't split, so if you want to get access underneath you have to completely clear the bench off to lift it all at once. Under seat storage sucks, just a couple small weirdly shaped cubbies.
Suspension with the FX4 especially in the rear is rough yet not particularly planted on the road.
I've had some weird electrical gremlins already. Remote started it once, hopped in and turned the key and the dash lit up fully, threw every error and warning it could come up with, and then wouldn't shut off when I turned the key off until I cycled it a few times.
Brakes are spongy because the booster works a bit too well. They stop fine but the travel and lack of firmness in the pedal takes getting used to. I came from a Honda and it felt like they needed bled the first time I drove it.
It's noisy as poo poo with the mechanical engine fan moving a ton of air while warming up.

I got it because it checks the size, power, drivetrain proven-ness (the platform itself is pretty old!) I wanted, and it has a good tow rating that fits my needs. If I didn't need to pretty regularly tow over 5k I would have gotten a Ridgeline, or a Maverick if they were actually available. I would not have paid full price for a new one, it's simply not nice enough to justify over 40k in my opinion. If I were going to spend over 40 I'd just get a mildly used F150. I did add some swing cases to the bed to store all my recovery crap and tools, and that helped the rear seat space/storage a lot.

Before you plunge I suggest you check out the new Colorado/Canyon. The W/T spec with some options matches a loaded XLT for $6-8k less, and the high output 2.7 licks the 2.3's ratings. Also looks to have a split rear seat and generally better creature comforts for the money. I'd also suggest checking out a Ridgeline and a Maverick if you're looking for something that can do offroady stuff, so long as you're not doing anything too crazy - while also being far better daily drivers. If you're not in a hurry, maybe also wait and see what the new Tacoma looks like, supposedly they're going to be offering a hybrid!

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

rifles posted:

Brakes are spongy because the booster works a bit too well. They stop fine but the travel and lack of firmness in the pedal takes getting used to. I came from a Honda and it felt like they needed bled the first time I drove it.

That's funny, that seems to be a Ford thing. My wife has an Edge and if I haven't drove it for a while, I feel like a teenager learning to drive. I just tap on the brakes and they engage hard. There's virtually no force needed and it's a very short throw from 0 to 100%.

Meanwhile, my Colorado brakes almost feel like it's not boosted at all. But it does provide a lot of feedback. My foot is used to pressing hard and it completely throws me off when I get in her car.

When I was shopping in 2019, the Ranger was brand new and impossible to get, especially at a reasonable price. And I really just hate the driver seating position of the Tacoma. The Ridgeline was not off road enough for me, but it will manage 99% of fire roads just fine. I really chose the Colorado though because I got the best price and it had the biggest back seat since I have kids. I feel like the Ranger and the Tacoma both outdo it off road. Even the ZR2 Colorado has a lot of gimmicks but the geometry and suspension layout just isn't there. Some people want to make up for this with a ton of skid plates, but meh.

That being said, the new Colorado/Canyon seem to have fixed all of the issues, on paper anyway, that the previous gen has.

However, after owning four GM vehicles, I will not recommend you buy one. If you do so, it is under your own volition.

My old neighbor is a serious off-road camping guy, he bought a Ranger to replace his Power Wagon, if that means anything.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Apr 2, 2023

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Yeah that's ford vacuum assist almost to a T. It seems to me that they build vehicles for people that two foot drive and loiter on the brake pedal.
Even their hydroboost units will do it when the built in accumulator reaches the end of its life. It's not a user replaceable item and pretty much nobody replaces the units till the body leaks.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Friends, I appreciate all the Ranger info! :tipshat:

After weeks of looking at and considering Rangers, I decided to buy an Xterra PRO4X that I found with only 30k miles.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Strong move. Xterra is an underrated truck.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Safety Dance posted:

Strong move. Xterra is an underrated truck.

I'm excited to get my hands on it! I've been looking all over the region for some day trips where I can learn on some easy trails.

Is there a preferred site or app for scouting out trips like that?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Ehud posted:

I'm excited to get my hands on it! I've been looking all over the region for some day trips where I can learn on some easy trails.

Is there a preferred site or app for scouting out trips like that?

I like OnX Offroad for finding interesting trails.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Double posting to make an effort post about my weekend.

I bought Kastivich's Porsche Cayenne Turbo about a month ago. The independent Porsche mechanic said it was in good condition, so I figured I'd get away for a few days. I planned a route and rented a trailer.

I left the morning of Sunday, April 2nd. It took me a while to get the trailer and actually get on the road, but I think I actually left Seattle around 11:30 or noon. Destination was Cape Disappointment State Park on the Pacific coast.

On the way there, a little outside of Olympia, my low oil warning came on. I was pulling a trailer around 70mph, and the turbo was producing more boost to maintain speed than I normally see. I exited the highway, stopped for lunch, and then checked on it. Oil came up to exactly the midpoint between high and low on the dipstick. Kastivich is a real mensch and included a free quart of oil with the car, so I added half of that and decided to pay attention to oil consumption. I also bought another two quarts of oil, just in case.

Cape Disappointment is beautiful. It completely justifies moving across the country. It's relentlessly green, and you can hear the ocean from the campground.

There were some other RV campers around, but I was the only person in my little cluster of 10 camp sites.

One feature of the Long Beach Peninsula is the eponymous beach: 28 miles long, and about 20 miles are a public roadway.

Weather was variable: it would be sunny one minute, and raining the next. Still, it was good fun. The speed limit is 25 mph. I tried setting my cruise control, but the Porsche's traction control complained about driving over loose sand with the cruise engaged. I drove 18 miles up the beach, crossing about 3 or 4 little creeks flowing into the ocean.

For dinner, I cooked a ribeye steak and ate it with heirloom tomatoes. Then I read Equal Rites by Terry Pratchett and fell asleep. The on-and-off rain continued throughout the night. It got down to just over freezing, but the little camper has a propane heater which kicked on a couple times an hour, keeping the temperature around 65. Also it woke me up because I hate breathing heater air.

The next morning I ate breakfast at a restaurant called The Pickled Fish. It's on the fourth floor of a hotel overlooking the beach, and the view is stunning. If you're looking for a place to stay in Long Beach, WA, the Adrift Hotel looks really nice.

I left Long Beach and started the drive up to the Olympic National Forest. I'd identified a few potential dispersed camping sites on iOverlander.com and other various blogs, and I thought I'd try to find a good one for the night.

On the way up, the oil light came on again. I pulled over and, once again, the oil level was halfway up the dipstick. I put in the other 1/2 quart from yesterday and bought a dozen farm fresh duck eggs because I happened to stop in front of a farm that was selling duck eggs.

I wound up really liking a spot off of Sitkum Soleduck Rd, overlooking the confluence of Hyas Creek and the Calawah River. It was one of the first spots I investigated, but I was ready to drop the trailer and drive around in the woods a bit.

I explored a few miles down NF-29 only to find it was blocked off for some logging operations, so I doubled back and drove up NF-2923. In theory I should have been able to cross the mountains and drop back down into the Sol Duc river valley, but it started to get a little late and the road conditions got worse as I drove higher.

I turned back and headed back to the campsite. Dinner was duck eggs, fried bologna, and more tomatoes. Then I read more Pratchett under the awning while it rained on and off, until it got too dark / cold and I headed to bed.

The camper was toasty. The next morning I woke up to a dusting of snow on the ground.

Because it was a dispersed camp site, this was my toilet.

I can't say I've ever pooped while being snowed upon before, but it's an experience.

The drive back was gorgeous. I went an hour out of my way trying to find breakfast. Failing that, I took some photos of the Strait of Juan de Fuca.

One of my license plate screws fell off somewhere, but I bodged together a replacement. After that, I took the ferry back to Edmonds and drove back home.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Apr 7, 2023

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

You basically drove a big circle around our place. Well. Not quite I guess, we're on the peninsulas near the narrows bridge.

Crazy how green it is in the PNW ALL THE TIME, isn't it? It's still grey as hell on the east coast right now.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I love how green it is. The PNW is dripping with life. It reminds me of were I grew up outside of Atlanta, but the weather agrees with me more here.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
Southern California is like a whole different country after all the rain. Everything is green and blooming. Lots of snow on the mountain peaks.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

That’s an awesome trip. I’m super jealous of anyone who has the PNW in their backyard. It’s just gorgeous in every direction.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

After test driving a Wrangler Unlimited, I can get past the vague steering, but I'm genuinely surprised at how cramped it felt inside. TBH, the back seat felt roomier than the driver seat.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Does the Gladiator have the same front suspension as the Wrangler? I drove one for a bit and thought it was ok compared to a Jimny which is also solid axle front. Now that was a scary car to drive on the highway, but it also could have been 20 year old tech and wear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Yeah, both are SFA and SRA. Though modern wranglers have been coil front and rear since 1997 while I seem to recall the jimny is leaf front and rear.