Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Tiny Timbs posted:

Star Wars isn’t exactly consistent about this poo poo. People regularly point out that you could simply turn the lightsaber off and back on to free it in a duel and the official response is “uh the sith and Jedi both agreed not to do that”

Harry Potter-rear end worldbuilding
That might be risky in a situation where both parties are applying force (kinetic force that is, not the magic space wizard kind) that is roughly in balance to weapons where the business end is capable of effortlessly severing limbs. Suddenly removing that force could be dangerous to either or both parties. Imagine turning your lightsaber off and suddenly your opponent's saber leaps forward into your face.

Ah, arguing about Star Wars lightsaber mechanics, I feel like I'm on the schoolyard again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

DerekSmartymans posted:

Which version of Skyrim should I buy on Steam (I have my 11-11-11 DVD copy still) in order to get the most compatible with up-to-dare mods/complete latest updates? I don’t mind paying :20bux: for a current copy, but good Lord the game is 12 years old and there are so many versions I cannot figure out the “buy one and done” of it!
At this point I'd just get the Anniversary Edition and figure out if you need/want a downgrade patcher from there. Best of Both Worlds is the one that should AFAIK get you both the AE content and compatibility with SE mods.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Commander Keene posted:

That might be risky in a situation where both parties are applying force (kinetic force that is, not the magic space wizard kind) that is roughly in balance to weapons where the business end is capable of effortlessly severing limbs. Suddenly removing that force could be dangerous to either or both parties. Imagine turning your lightsaber off and suddenly your opponent's saber leaps forward into your face.

Ah, arguing about Star Wars lightsaber mechanics, I feel like I'm on the schoolyard again.

This is why you make lightsabers with barbed shafts, it’s the next obvious step and lightsaber technology is stagnant.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Orv posted:

Extreme nerd nitpick time; if a lightsaber blade is weightless and the Force is what lets you use one without slicing your own face off (which I assume has been contradicted in various EU stuff like eighty thousand times) why aren't the streets out back of the Jedi Temple filled with the bodies of poo poo padawans?
They're recycled for stem cells and midichlorians to run the bacta tanks.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

In Jedi Fallen Order in one fight against another lightsaber user the main boy purposely turns off his lightsaber when they are in the middle of a blade clash and punks the baddie when they get thrown off-balance. Pretty dope move.

Also there's a part where he needs to make a new lightsaber and he needs to charge up his crystal by concentrating with the Force. So my assumption is that any goober can use a lightsaber, if you don't have the Force then it will lose power/get knocked out of alignment and just stop working eventually.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Jedi are always charging their crystals.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

the Jedi Order crystals? or JO as I like to call it?

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

The Jedi Council all sat in a circle specifically to make it easier to charge their crystals together.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Orv posted:

I could have sworn they pull that in one of the sequel trilogy set piece fights but I don’t 100% remember. The one with all the stupid looking red guys?
https://i.imgur.com/oHwv8mz.mp4

Orv
May 4, 2011
Not really what I was thinking but still fun.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

NOW! that's what I call light hearted humor! vol. 19

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

Pwnstar posted:

Also there's a part where he needs to make a new lightsaber and he needs to charge up his crystal by concentrating with the Force. So my assumption is that any goober can use a lightsaber, if you don't have the Force then it will lose power/get knocked out of alignment and just stop working eventually.
The canon is that a lightsaber is powered by an energy cell (battery), not by a Jedi's force. The cell needs replacing / charging, but the lightsaber should never end up dead. As such, yeah, any goober can use a lightsaber, but requires training. This is why there's stuff like the darksaber which is wielded by a bunch of non force people or General Grevious who has no force sensitivity (and why he is susceptible to Jedi using force powers on him), but he was trained by Count Dooku, and is just an insanely good warrior and so was able to master using multiple lightsabers.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Orv posted:

Announcing Zenimax Online Studio's New Vegas Online!

This is damning with faint praise but everything Zenimax has added post-release to Elder Scrolls Online has been better written than anything in FO4 and FO76.

ESO is a consistently average/slightly above par theme park MMO. I’d trust them to make an ok Fallout.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Orv posted:

Announcing Zenimax Online Studio's New Vegas Online!

This but then it's a slot machine app for your phone with a fallout skin

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I tried playing ESO twice, once by myself and once with friends, and it was boring both times.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Tiny Timbs posted:

Star Wars isn’t exactly consistent about this poo poo. People regularly point out that you could simply turn the lightsaber off and back on to free it in a duel and the official response is “uh the sith and Jedi both agreed not to do that”

Harry Potter-rear end worldbuilding

Fighting this way was called Tràkata in the old canon.

It showed up in the books at times, such as in New Jedi Order series where...:goonsay:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Tiny Timbs posted:

Could you explain that one to me? Jedi and Sith are pushing lighblade against lightblade, in a cinematic cliché that doesn't really work in real swordfights. Someone decided that they could just turn their lightsaber off and then... reincarnate that not do that next time?

As an aside, is there a way to sort the games in your library by size? Or age rating?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

It's fighting dirty. Harder to track the blade if it's off.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Xander77 posted:

As an aside, is there a way to sort the games in your library by size? Or age rating?

Not age rating though, no.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Games on Steam or other PC digital services don't have to have formal age ratings in most countries unless they get a retail release or console port. (This is why, for example, Rimworld was sold in Australia for years before getting briefly banned after they prepared a console port for release). This'd make filtering by age rating a bit tricky.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Coffee talk is basically a much shittier and more boring version of va11 hall-a. There's really nothing to it. If you asked me to describe it I'd call it "someone decided to make a questionable content video game based on the Valhalla gameplay" and that should give you the general idea of how good it is

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

is there a way to sort your library by your most recent purchases? Sometimes I'll get a bundle of games during a sale or from somewhere else and it's easy to have those new games get lost in my giant library list

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Grapplejack posted:

Coffee talk is basically a much shittier and more boring version of va11 hall-a. There's really nothing to it. If you asked me to describe it I'd call it "someone decided to make a questionable content video game based on the Valhalla gameplay" and that should give you the general idea of how good it is

Even more questionable than Va11 Hall-A itself?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Jack Trades posted:

I think OP meant the webcomic Questionable Content

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

is there a way to sort your library by your most recent purchases? Sometimes I'll get a bundle of games during a sale or from somewhere else and it's easy to have those new games get lost in my giant library list

Not quite what you're asking for, but the Recent Purchases page will at least show you a chronological list of titles. But redeeming a key purchased elsewhere doesn't show up in this list

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

kazil posted:

I think OP meant the webcomic Questionable Content

Ah :downs:

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

Jack Trades posted:

Is that game controversial? I wanted to try it but feel like I used to see a lot of Jill pfps on chuddy types. Bad reason to avoid it I'm sure...

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Played Storyteller, a little puzzler game very (very) faintly in the vein of Curse of the Golden Idol. The basic idea is that you're giving a general story prompt, and then you gotta arrange characters and situations in an order that makes that story happen. So you may have a prompt that character A kills character B, and there's a Cliff situation where one character can push another to their death. But in order for that to actually happen, you first must give A a motive to want to kill B, so e.g. you could marry B to C and then have A propose to C, only to then be rejected and be jealous of A.

It's a pretty interesting idea, and the presentation of it is really cute. But unfortunately the game doesn't quite do as much with it as it might have. For one, it's very short, to the point where I finished it (including optional objectives) in 90 minutes flat. If I were to go for all the achievements I might squeeze out another half hour, but eh. Secondly, each of the stories you're constructing is fairly short (between 4-8 frames/situations) and it only gives you a selection of the strictly necessary situations and characters for each. That does make it fairly easy, which is both good and bad. On the bright side that helps giving it a nice breezy pace and keeps frustration down, but at the same time I would have like some more ambitious and trickier prompts particularly for the optional objectives.

Still, despite those flaws I had a good time with it, and it's only like 14 bucks anyway.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Grapplejack posted:

Wow, that's pretty damning, especially since I heard Valhalla barely had any gameplay to it already, with the bartending feeling very rote where you just follow orders with no amount of challenge: I imagined you'd have to remember patron's favorite drinks and recipes to be able to work fast, as well as maybe be able to read the mood to pick an ideal drink to solve someone's issue and so on but I didn't see any of that. How much more boring can you get from that?

I'm mostly going off of this, for reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-3YhYaau4A

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Apr 6, 2023

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Waste of Breath posted:

Is that game controversial? I wanted to try it but feel like I used to see a lot of Jill pfps on chuddy types. Bad reason to avoid it I'm sure...

I don't remember the game being particularly problematic but it is extremely anime.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Waste of Breath posted:

Controversial in that there is talk of sex and non-hetero relationships and possibly office sexual harassment. Everything else is pretty banal.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Waste of Breath posted:

I liked the game overall but it also had stuff like...a cyborg sex worker that had a body of a little girl.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Everspace 2 comes out of EA today and is already on Gamepass. Figured I'd mention it since it likely won't be bumped up to the "new releases" on gamepass so you may not remember it's on there but it does appear that version will be updated to the full release around the same time as the Steam version.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

At the top left above the search bar you can sort it by recent activity, which includes the date it was added to your library. "Activity" also means though that if you launch a game you bought ten years ago it'll shoot up to the top of the list, so it's not strictly by date of purchase but it's close enough that it might help.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Apr 6, 2023

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

explosivo posted:

Everspace 2 comes out of EA today and is already on Gamepass. Figured I'd mention it since it likely won't be bumped up to the "new releases" on gamepass so you may not remember it's on there but it does appear that version will be updated to the full release around the same time as the Steam version.

Good looking out, will definitely check this out as I've been quite interested in it. I was also curious about CHORVS as well: wonder what I should hit up first!

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

The Kins posted:

This is why, for example, Rimworld was sold in Australia for years before getting briefly banned after they prepared a console port for release.
This is interesting to think about.

ESRB ratings are an industry voluntary thing, much like MPAA ratings for film. It was the 1993 congressional hearings that resulted in the "warning" that the industry sort out a rating system or else be forced to by statute. But I suppose ratings are enforced by statue elsewhere in the world.

It does seem strange the PC games have managed to evade industry-wide ratings. These days it's something that would be mandated by the distribution platform, and Valve obviously doesn't care to do that. But in the late 90s-early 00s when many PC games were still sold on shelves at Walmart I'm a bit surprised retailers didn't demand it.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

There is no automatic way. You can sort by last played date, though, so if you launch each game immediately after you buy it, that'll work. I just use collections to group games by when I purchased them, and it's fine if not quite as automatic as I'd like.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

ultrafilter posted:

There is no automatic way. You can sort by last played date, though, so if you launch each game immediately after you buy it, that'll work. I just use collections to group games by when I purchased them, and it's fine if not quite as automatic as I'd like.

Last played also kinda works for games you recently bought, too. since it will sort them under the appropriate month/date header in your library, but doesn't give you a "Last Played on" on the game status page in your library.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1upmuffin
Jan 9, 2023
Boneraiser Minions: Extremely fun Survivor type game, every level up you get to choose from a list of 3-4 minions to summon, some can be levelled up, and some can be combined to created stronger minions. Lots of upgrades, characters, and stages. It's part of the Humble Bundle survivor bundle, but I don't know anything about the other games in that bundle so I can't say if it's worth it or not.