Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Peanut Butler posted:

hey thanks for pointing me in the right direction, thread, even tho this isn't quiiite the thread for it!

having hundreds of dollars to spare might help with the new hardware aspect of it - as it stands, I've come upon hard times since COVID, I don't have a permanent address anymore thanks to rent spikes, can't find work, and besides: my PC from a decade ago runs software from this week perfectly fine. This is an Apple problem, not a me problem.

I'm grateful to have the free hardware, though, it works great for the 2/3rds of webpages that don't have complex CSS, fantastic for catching up on K6BD, etc

Man, here’s hoping you get back on your feet goon friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I've been trying to figure out how I can use my iPad as an emergency work computer when I go on vacation. I'm a software developer at a really small company so if something breaks while I'm on the road I need to be able to fix it, but normally poo poo doesn't break and I'm tired of lugging my MBP everywhere just in case. I think my best solution is going to be to rent a VPS from like Digital Ocean or something and setting it up as a remote desktop environment where I can just get my full work environment set up. Does anyone here do this? If so can you recommend a good app/protocol that will work with a Linux server and an iPad client? Are xrdp and Jump Desktop the way to go?

Edit: Just went with Microsoft's Remote Desktop app on the iPad since it's free. Seems to work pretty well!

prom candy fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Apr 2, 2023

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Anyone had much experiments with Affinity Publisher 2 using InDesign documents? We work with InDesign the office but it would be nice to do a little tweaking at home or on the bus without needing to keep converting files or bringing a big ol’ laptop around.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Are there any manufacturers other than Apple and Logitech making keyboard cases that power off the iPad Air/Pro? I love that aspect but am having troubles finding THE ONE that meets all my hopes and needs.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Peanut Butler posted:

hey thanks for pointing me in the right direction, thread, even tho this isn't quiiite the thread for it!

having hundreds of dollars to spare might help with the new hardware aspect of it - as it stands, I've come upon hard times since COVID, I don't have a permanent address anymore thanks to rent spikes, can't find work, and besides: my PC from a decade ago runs software from this week perfectly fine. This is an Apple problem, not a me problem.

I'm grateful to have the free hardware, though, it works great for the 2/3rds of webpages that don't have complex CSS, fantastic for catching up on K6BD, etc

I hope there’s some mutual aid in your area you can hook up with, that sucks.

Milosh
Oct 14, 2000
Forum Veteran
I kind of want an iPad mini. What do you guys recommend?

I’d like to read tabs for guitar and do some gaming and music.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Milosh posted:

If you're in love with the size, go for it. If you want a bigger screen, it would depend on your budget. I would definitely recommend the Air over the 9th or 10th gen iPad.

Also, make sure to check Apple's refurb page to save a few bucks if they have what you want.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I really love my mini 5. Supposedly the 6 has a “jelly scrolling” issue where you get a lot of screen tearing in portrait mode, which would bug the poo poo out of me

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I should also add: Go to an Apple Store or whatever retailer near you that has them out on display.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Milosh posted:

I use my iPad for guitar tabs a lot and I'm glad I sized up to the Air. I've done tabs on a Mini and it works but the air is a nice size. Also big enough for sheet music if you happen to play any other instruments (although for more complex pieces you'd maybe want an even bigger screen, I dunno I'm not good enough at piano to play complex pieces)

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
If you have an iPhone you can use the LiDAR to do janky AR stuff on their store app and get a sense of the size. But yes going into any kind of high street shop that has them on display so you can get them in your hands is best.
If you need an iPad as your main laptoppy device then the mini might be a little cramped. But otherwise people seem to really like them.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Milosh posted:

I agree with prom candy, I think the Air would be a much better size for tabs and sheet music, I would find the Mini to be very cramped for that. You could make it work, so don't let that stop you if you have other uses for which the Mini would be ideal, but it wouldn't be my pick for tabs and music.

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

Delivery in less than two minutes or your money back!

I just picked up an iPad. 11” iPad Pro 3rd gen 128gb (originally purchased new Jan 2023), 2nd Gen Apple Pencil, paperlike screen protector and a Speck case for $600. My first ever.

Also just won an auction on a Amazon returns auction site for a Magic Keyboard for $93. Loving the device already, can’t wait to pick up the KB.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Didn’t know Amazon had auctions.

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

Delivery in less than two minutes or your money back!

It’s a third party. Mac.bid.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Hello so I’ve started using my iPad Pro docked into my computer monitor along with a wireless mouse and keyboard for work via stage manager (yes yes I know). I’m using the big white apple usbc - hdmi dongle, and it makes my nice clean desk set up real cluttered and messy with the hdmi cable, usb charging cable, and the awful looking big white adapter. I don’t really want to get another adapter because this is the only one I’ve found to reliably work with stage manager and charging at the same time, but does anyone have any recommendations/ideas for tidying up the setup a little?
If I were to get a usbc extender (so I’d just have one cable to worry about and then can hide the apple dongle with hdmi/charger), would that still work with stage manager?

Edit: or would it need to be thunderbolt or something?

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Apr 5, 2023

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Very doubtful that a USB-C extender would work.
You could get a Thunderbolt dock, but they're quite expensive.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Having an issue with my daughter’s iPad this morning.

I woke up and my router is causing problems (shows connected but no actual internet connection over WiFi except for hardwired items and a single echo dot that is playing tune in).

In trying to see if it was just my phone, I opened my daughters iPad. All the screen shows is a black screen with the white circular loading image in the middle. It will stay on that for a while before popping up the number unlock pad. I put in her code and it just goes back to that black screen with loading.

Anyone have this happen before. What is the best route? It has been like that for an hour or so.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I woke up and my router is causing problems (shows connected but no actual internet connection over WiFi except for hardwired items and a single echo dot that is playing tune in).

In trying to see if it was just my phone, I opened my daughters iPad. All the screen shows is a black screen with the white circular loading image in the middle. It will stay on that for a while before popping up the number unlock pad. I put in her code and it just goes back to that black screen with loading.

Anyone have this happen before. What is the best route? It has been like that for an hour or so.

Force restart the iPad. This is probably unrelated to your network issue, which sounds like a DNS error

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Yeah, I've had that bug before. Just restart.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Thanks. I was worried that it was in the middle of updating and had an issue.

Restart worked out fine.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I don’t think this is an iPad probem, but i could use some help.

You know how when you go to a login page and tap in the username field, Safari will give you a “sign in as ….” suggestion above the keyboard? For one and only one site, it seems to have stopped doing that. iOS knows the credentials, if I choose iCloud Keychain it shows up and I can fill that way, but it’s four or five unnecessary button presses. Any idea how I can fix that?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Is there a way to get rid of this Quick Notes overlay (the chevron hanging off the end of the screen)? I have an iPad Pro with pencil but I would probably just launch Notes if I want to jot something down.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Hed posted:

Is there a way to get rid of this Quick Notes overlay (the chevron hanging off the end of the screen)? I have an iPad Pro with pencil but I would probably just launch Notes if I want to jot something down.

It's under Apple Pencil in Settings, as Pencil Gestures.

Smets
Nov 4, 2009

Hed posted:

Pull out the note and tap “Done” in the corner.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Thanks, all I had to do was hit "Enable" which seemed to ~upgrade my account~, and it went away.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I don’t think this is an iPad probem, but i could use some help.

You know how when you go to a login page and tap in the username field, Safari will give you a “sign in as ….” suggestion above the keyboard? For one and only one site, it seems to have stopped doing that. iOS knows the credentials, if I choose iCloud Keychain it shows up and I can fill that way, but it’s four or five unnecessary button presses. Any idea how I can fix that?

I believe that’s usually an issue with the site where it’s not presenting the login fields correctly and safari can’t identify it and pop the password prompt. Not much you can do really.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Maybe, but I’m kind of skeptical that chase.com changed their web site in the last month (it worked for years before that). Still looks the same, at least. Plus if I tap on the username field above the keyboard is the suggestion or open Passwords. I dunno.

Edit: looks like a combo of deleting the site's Password entry plus clearing all saved data for that domain, then logging back in (and telling Safari to save the login info) fixed it.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Apr 6, 2023

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
It really is pretty embarrassing that Apple couldn’t put together a proper iPad app for Classical. Can’t even slide it over.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
They are a small time company give them a break.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Rinkles posted:

It really is pretty embarrassing that Apple couldn’t put together a proper iPad app for Classical. Can’t even slide it over.

Lots of music apps are poo poo on iPads. Bandcamp is designed for iPhone only for instance.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe

Rinkles posted:

It’s weirder to me that there isn’t an AppleTV app for it.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE posted:

It’s weirder to me that there isn’t an AppleTV app for it.
?? There is a TV app, and the TV+ service is part of it.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
think he's saying there isn't an Apple Music Classical app for Apple TV (tvOS)

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Oh I see, right, “it” being Classical not the iPad.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Edit: never mind - found a good quality Magic Keyboard for half price on eBay, so went for it.

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Apr 10, 2023

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I’m thinking about replacing my 3rd Gen “the New iPad” from 2012 with a newer one. I mostly use it for reading scans of comic books or graphic novels, but I use it a lot. The idea of the 12.9” screens on some of the newer ones sounds like it would be really nice. But I don’t want to spend a grand (or more).

I mostly stream from my own server, so the size of the storage wouldn’t necessarily be a huge issue.

But I’d like the color and resolution to be pretty close to the best it can be.

I have some Amazon credit so I think that might be the best place for me to pick one up. What’s the sweet spot price wise, for what I’m looking for?

I found one that’s a silver 32 gig WiFi model for $399. It says it’s a 12.9 inch screen. I would guess the 2015 or 2016 model. Any thoughts on this one? Especially as compared to newer models, for my use case.

Thank you!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I love my 12.9 and the size is fantastic for consumption.

Honestly I’d take the chance on the $399 one because Amazon has a great return policy. If you find it’s too slow just return it.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The >New< iPad was slow when it came out can’t imagine how it is today. I’d think anything would be an improvement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aino Minako
Dec 16, 2007

Perpetual rage elemental

Chinook posted:

I’m thinking about replacing my 3rd Gen “the New iPad” from 2012 with a newer one. I mostly use it for reading scans of comic books or graphic novels, but I use it a lot. The idea of the 12.9” screens on some of the newer ones sounds like it would be really nice. But I don’t want to spend a grand (or more).

I mostly stream from my own server, so the size of the storage wouldn’t necessarily be a huge issue.

But I’d like the color and resolution to be pretty close to the best it can be.

I have some Amazon credit so I think that might be the best place for me to pick one up. What’s the sweet spot price wise, for what I’m looking for?

I found one that’s a silver 32 gig WiFi model for $399. It says it’s a 12.9 inch screen. I would guess the 2015 or 2016 model. Any thoughts on this one? Especially as compared to newer models, for my use case.

Thank you!

If you can swing it, an “iPad Pro 12.9-inch (3rd generation)” from 2018 would be a good choice. You’ll get the smaller modern design, Face ID, a much better screen, Apple Pencil 2 compatibility, and probably another couple years of software updates. I see some refurbs on Amazon around $600 but maybe it’s cheaper elsewhere.

I’m sure one of the older models would be fine for what you want to do, but they’re probably at the end of the line as far as software goes, and will probably be noticeably slower.