Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

couldcareless posted:

APs are back!

$ 969 plus tax for the sorcerer pass. Ouch. I guess it’s not too bad considering the park hoppers we bought last year were like 650/pp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I'm pretty certain the last time we bought the equivalent pre covid through dvc it was right around $1000 so that's not as bad as I was expecting of a price hike.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Can someone quickly do the math and estimate how many one-day trips it takes before the annual pass is worth it? (And thanks for the notice that they are on sale again soon.)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Grundulum posted:

Can someone quickly do the math and estimate how many one-day trips it takes before the annual pass is worth it? (And thanks for the notice that they are on sale again soon.)

The absolute cheapest ticket with park hopper is $185 ($109 base), but that's only a handful of times a year. ~$220 is a more realistic average price, that's $140 with park hopper. Most days of the year will get you into AK for that, with MK and DHS a bit more.

So you're ahead at 2 visits for Pixie, 4 for Pirate, 5 for Sorcerer and 7 for Incredipass.

If you park, that knocks a day off Incredipass I guess.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Tickets are $109-144 depending on date when I checked a few days ago.
Adding park hopper is $40.
Basic parking is $25, included in the pass.

My wife and I have pixie passes, the breakeven point is about 2.7 one-day visits. This does not include the potential value of the discounts on merch (20%) and some restaurants (10%).

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Price per day also goes down as you add multiple days to a ticket.

10 days can be as low as $60 per day.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
The Sorceror pass includes standard parking, so that’s a little bit more value added at that tier. Thanks for the helpful math.

Zero One posted:

Price per day also goes down as you add multiple days to a ticket.

10 days can be as low as $60 per day.

How open-ended are those tickets? If I buy a single 10-day pass in September, can I just select days as I choose to use them over the next year? I have to think no (or else nobody would buy an annual pass), but I haven’t bought tickets for a US Disney park, well, ever.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah, he asked for single day visits though.

They do per park pricing for single days now, so peak for AK is up to $159, while for MK it's $189. DHS and Epcot are $179 on those days.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
We have sorcerer and since renewing in October we’ve gone….like 8 or 9 days? And we almost always use park hopper, so it’s a great value for us.

Then again, that’s also a lot of hotel stays we’re paying for. And we don’t have to fly, but that would be really expensive too. So take those things into consideration before buying a pass.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Never mind, wrongness was here.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

The tickets aren’t open ended. We bought 9 day park hoppers last year and had 14 days to use them from date of first use. You have to select which dates you want for your tickets since pricing is variable now.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Grundulum posted:

The Sorceror pass includes standard parking, so that’s a little bit more value added at that tier. Thanks for the helpful math.

How open-ended are those tickets? If I buy a single 10-day pass in September, can I just select days as I choose to use them over the next year? I have to think no (or else nobody would buy an annual pass), but I haven’t bought tickets for a US Disney park, well, ever.

They all include parking yeah. It's just that until Incredipass it doesn't knock off a whole day. It's still significant though.

If you buy a 2 day ticket you can use it for any 2 days in a 4-day span (which you select the start of on purchase.)

3 days is 5.
4 is 7.
5 is 8.
6 is 9,
7 is 10.
8 jumps to 12.
9 is 13.
10 is 14.

10 is the longest you can buy direct from Disney like that, though I think Europeans can buy 14 day passes or something.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yeah we get 14 days for the price of 7 pretty much constantly, and a while back they were actually happy to sell us 21 day tickets but their system didn't support it and it goes horribly wrong at a random point and splits into a pair of 14 day tickets which get a random day chosen for first use and then both start counting down fast. It's a quick trip to guest services to sort it out, but it sure does look weird on your app.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I mean everything has gone up a ton in price the last 5 years ro so, but I remember we bought DVC AP's for our October 2018 trip, because we were doing an adults only trip in Feb 2019 so it made sense for my wife and I to buy AP's at that time. We paid about 589 for the Gold AP back then.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
I’m an out of state Incredipass holder. I figure I need 2 4 Day hoppers per year to break it even since ticket pricing is variable but that runs around 550ish, and renewals are $1100ish. Memory Maker is now a paid add on for $300ish which I’m still mad about, but I love MM so it evens out for at least 2 trips.

Depending on the year I’m averaging 2-5 trips so it works out for me, and I head down there with other APs so that works for us.

If you’re not doing that as an out of stater - it’s not worth it.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

A vindictive toll road for Disney world will do great in courts

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It’s not like people will stop paying, that won’t affect Disney at all if they even were legal.

However, the whole time DeSantis has openly admitted this is all a retaliatory violation of the first amendment and he’s still getting away with it while nobody seems to care.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
And Disney does not give a single gently caress because he’ll go away eventually.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Aphrodite posted:

It’s not like people will stop paying, that won’t affect Disney at all if they even were legal.

However, the whole time DeSantis has openly admitted this is all a retaliatory violation of the first amendment and he’s still getting away with it while nobody seems to care.

He hasn't gotten away with anything yet though. It's just all posturing while things like the Reedy Creek changes were symbolic at best and a big L for him that got him dunked on by Fox News and other chuds because it was a transparent failure. I suspect deep down he knows he can't gently caress with Disney but will keep making loud public declarations about taking on the big scary woke company as part of his marketing for the presidential run, which will coincidentally give him cover to move on and forget this all.

Coasterphreak posted:

And Disney does not give a single gently caress because he’ll go away eventually.

Yeah this. They win by staying quiet and not pissing off more republican customers and they know he's not a threat to their bottom line at all. Even these threats would only hurt Disney customers, not Disney, which is just a perfect example of performative republican bullshit.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

If you're curious about context, Meatballs started running his mouth in public again about blatantly illegal punitive action against Disney because he can't shut the gently caress up about how much he thinks about sexualizing kindergartners.

https://twitter.com/AlexFarnworth/status/1644345097767596032?s=20

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
The previous board of Reedy Creek would tell the media that they had no real affiliation with the company (I saw one guy tell WESH "We just do what we're t---uh, what is outlined in our charter") but some of them had the familiar oval CM namebadges with a RCID logo where the Mickey would normally be, and many were on the board since the very beginning. You know because they'd say "Councilman so-and-so has served for fifty years" and oh hey guess what Magic Kingdom's anniversary is.

So anyhow, one of the little details is those board members have personal land holdings, all undeveloped, many of them on the north edge of Epcot just beyond the parking lot. You'll see nothing about it on park guides or road maps of course, but if you look at the site plan you'll see weird little corners of the swamp carved out for various private persons. This may be because of taxation without representation reasons, as the people doing the governing naturally have a stake in that which they govern. That might become an issue if the outsiders who have no stake in the district begin screwing with it's taxes. We'll have to see.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Apr 8, 2023

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

The RCID board members each owned five acres of undeveloped land, which gave them the right to sit on the board. And there’s a trailer park for hand-picked residents (apparently a mix of retirees and on-call workers) of the two incorporated cities so Disney can pass things at city council meetings. All this poo poo dates back to when Walt was going to build his city of tomorrow.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

skipdogg posted:

I mean everything has gone up a ton in price the last 5 years ro so, but I remember we bought DVC AP's for our October 2018 trip, because we were doing an adults only trip in Feb 2019 so it made sense for my wife and I to buy AP's at that time. We paid about 589 for the Gold AP back then.

yeah, I paid $6-700 in 2016. in 2023 the only option available for out-of-staters iiiis twice that

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

This is a silly question that nobody here can authoritatively answer, but why doesn’t Hollywood Studios have more filler rides? Like almost everything is a big attraction with a big line, why not have a few chiller things to duck into?

Or at this point do they figure people would gripe too much about simple/clever/cute rides to have them be worth the money to add?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
It’s not like they’re staying static about it. Didn’t the Toy Story area open in 2018 and Star Wars in 2019?

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

I don’t have a definitive answer for you but in my opinion, HS has always been the “show” park. They used to have a lot of really great shows back in the day, including the Backlot Tour, that they just don’t have anymore. The Great Movie Ride also used to be a chill ride but now that it’s the Mickey ride and new, it’s more of a headliner.

I’m not sure they won’t do any other filler rides in the future, but HS has always sort of felt like it was in transition for the past 10 years or so.

barclayed
Apr 15, 2022

"I just saved your ass... with MONOPOLY!"
Thought this would be the best thread to put this in lol. I got accepted into the Disney College Program and I arrive June 26th. Probably signing myself up for hell, but hey I get paid and it's time away from college. And also it's loving Disney!

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

barclayed posted:

Thought this would be the best thread to put this in lol. I got accepted into the Disney College Program and I arrive June 26th. Probably signing myself up for hell, but hey I get paid and it's time away from college. And also it's loving Disney!

Nice! I did the program years ago, and although it has changed quite a bit since I did it, some things remain constant - the job and location you end up doing could range anywhere from the most fun you'll ever have getting paid to something that sucks. My advice is to go in anticipating not having a fun job and be prepared for that, but you might be surprised. If not, the rest of it is what you make of it. You will meet tons of people and make lifelong connections even by only trying a little bit. Just expect to work long hours and try to make the most of it on your days off.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
The Space Coast and Kennedy Space Center are about an hour away from Disney World. If you’ve never seen a live rocket launch and one lines up with your free time, it’s something to consider doing. (Not something I’d suggest for those planning a vacation in Disney World, but presumably those doing the college program are around for a little bit longer than a typical Disney trip.)

barclayed
Apr 15, 2022

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Nice! I did the program years ago, and although it has changed quite a bit since I did it, some things remain constant - the job and location you end up doing could range anywhere from the most fun you'll ever have getting paid to something that sucks. My advice is to go in anticipating not having a fun job and be prepared for that, but you might be surprised. If not, the rest of it is what you make of it. You will meet tons of people and make lifelong connections even by only trying a little bit. Just expect to work long hours and try to make the most of it on your days off.

Usually I’m not much of a people-person (meeting new people irl) but this has me excited! Being able to go to the parks on my off-days sounds great, and part of me hopes I don’t get assigned to Epcot, as that’s my favorite park and I’d hate for it to get boring.

barclayed
Apr 15, 2022

Grundulum posted:

The Space Coast and Kennedy Space Center are about an hour away from Disney World. If you’ve never seen a live rocket launch and one lines up with your free time, it’s something to consider doing. (Not something I’d suggest for those planning a vacation in Disney World, but presumably those doing the college program are around for a little bit longer than a typical Disney trip.)

That does sound pretty cool!

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

barclayed posted:

Usually I’m not much of a people-person (meeting new people irl) but this has me excited! Being able to go to the parks on my off-days sounds great, and part of me hopes I don’t get assigned to Epcot, as that’s my favorite park and I’d hate for it to get boring.

The college program and working at Disney actually developed my people skills significantly. It forces you to come out of you shell a little. Do you know what type of job you'll be doing?

barclayed
Apr 15, 2022

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

The college program and working at Disney actually developed my people skills significantly. It forces you to come out of you shell a little. Do you know what type of job you'll be doing?

In my interview we talked about quick service food & beverage and merchandise, and from what I'm reading online the former is their most popular role, so I'm guessing food service. I have a vision disability and can't get a drivers license, so custodial, recreation and housekeeping are out. They also mentioned lifeguard in one of their emails. I'll get confirmation about three weeks out from my arrival.

Also, that's good to hear! Always trying to better my people skills.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Congrats! I hope you enjoy your time as a CM and people treat you well.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

barclayed posted:

In my interview we talked about quick service food & beverage and merchandise, and from what I'm reading online the former is their most popular role, so I'm guessing food service. I have a vision disability and can't get a drivers license, so custodial, recreation and housekeeping are out. They also mentioned lifeguard in one of their emails. I'll get confirmation about three weeks out from my arrival.

Also, that's good to hear! Always trying to better my people skills.

Not going to lie, food service might have the highest amount of unpleasantness with the lowest return out of all the CP jobs.... BUT. That doesn't mean your program will be bad. You still learn the ins and outs of how theme parks, resorts, hotels, etc. operate, you can still "make magic", and you still get exposed to a lot of different people.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Some of my fondest memories of Disney World are when I was grabbing a burger just before closing at a quick service place and the queues were so dead that the cast member taking orders was able to just chat for a bit about their day and what they were doing with their lives.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

barclayed posted:

Congrats!

Another former CP here, loved my time there and snowballed it into a 10 year career, actually am waitlisted to come back as a seasonal CM in one of my old roles. You'll have a blast!

Flamingo Crossings is way better than the housing we had, and it doesn't really matter what your job is, it's all about the people you work with. CP is nice because they joke it stands for Closing Person, so you'll end up closing more often than not but since it's the same crew it's great!

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Flamingo Crossings is weird to me. Like, it's cool that there's a bunch of stuff they can walk to, but you drive like, half a mile further from the Disney gate and you're in rural areas. Vista Waayyyy and the others were so close to Disney Springs and right in the heart of the tourism sector. Just doesn't seem like it would have the same effect on me.

brunch with yr parents
Jan 6, 2013

SWEATBOX SYMPHONY
Thanks, everyone, for answering my earlier questions about cheerleading competitions in WDW. We are about three weeks away and the other parents aren’t as insane as me, so I’m not sure if there will be any plans made ahead of time, other than, hopefully, park reservations made ASAP. Against that background, we are hoping to get a lightning lane reservation for guardians of the galaxy and I have a couple of questions.

1) will you have options for the time that you get, or are you just assigned a random time?
2) if you are assigned a morning time, or if that is all that is available, does that need to be the park that you reserved?

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Former CP CM here, it's all what you make of it. If you treat it like a big long vacation it's probably not going to be that fun because having to go to work will become irksome, but if you embrace your job and then park it up on your days off, you'll have some fun.

I stayed after my CP for six years, so it can certainly get it's hooks into you.

I don't know if I'd ever go back to working for Disney (mostly because I lost a bunch of costume pieces in a move, so I'll owe them money if I try, lol) but I am excited to become an AP when I move back down.