Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
Home automation can be cool for certain applications, like lights and thermostats, but the problem is that those were popular and all the companies though that everything in the home should be "smart", no matter the impedance mismatch between the function of the appliance and the need for automation. :capitalism:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Home automation will only be worth using if it doesn't require you to contact someone ELSE'S "home" where a server is. Especially if they want a subscription fee too.

The only good home automation runs in-house, pun intended.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

shoeberto posted:

Home automation can be cool for certain applications, like lights and thermostats, but the problem is that those were popular and all the companies though that everything in the home should be "smart", no matter the impedance mismatch between the function of the appliance and the need for automation. :capitalism:

The most hilarious side effect of this is trash cans with a sensor or an LED light on them being marketed as smart devices.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256...id=1diM0cWZ2gb5

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256...id=Mipo8In3o5fz

There's like a million of these lol

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Good news, the Dish washer hasn't required me to connect it to the wifi for setup.

The 'selling point' of it seems to be purely starting a wash while out of the house :rolleyes:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Boris Galerkin posted:

People renting an apartment which is most people aren’t going to have a say in which brand dishwasher they get. They’re going to get the cheapest shitbox 3000 that was ordered in bulk and sitting in some storage unit somewhere.

I just googled this. About 36% of households are rented as of 2019. The UK is actually pretty close to that, too, which I find surprising. Anyway, point is that most people do not, in fact, rent apartments.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
We have LG smart appliances. Washer and dryer have push notifications telling you when the cycle is finished, which perfect for your 28yo teenage roommate who will leave his laundry rotting in the machine for a week unless a device tells him to unload it.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

NomNomNom posted:

We have LG smart appliances. Washer and dryer have push notifications telling you when the cycle is finished, which perfect for your 28yo teenage roommate who will leave his laundry rotting in the machine for a week unless a device tells him to unload it.
At least that sounds slightly better than the annoying goddamn song my Samsung drier does at the end of the cycle. Apparently it can be turned off, but it's not easy.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Ahhh I love that song

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

https://www.reuters.com/technology/tesla-workers-shared-sensitive-images-recorded-by-customer-cars-2023-04-06/

quote:

between 2019 and 2022, groups of Tesla employees privately shared via an internal messaging system sometimes highly invasive videos and images recorded by customers’ car cameras, according to interviews by Reuters with nine former employees.

quote:

Some of the recordings caught Tesla customers in embarrassing situations. One ex-employee described a video of a man approaching a vehicle completely naked.

quote:

Also shared: crashes and road-rage incidents. One crash video in 2021 showed a Tesla driving at high speed in a residential area hitting a child riding a bike

quote:

Other images were more mundane, such as pictures of dogs and funny road signs that employees made into memes by embellishing them with amusing captions or commentary

:eyepop:

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Apr 6, 2023

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

If any of those were captured in Europe, then sparks are going to fly. EU regulators do not mess around when it comes to PII.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Apr 6, 2023

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Aramis posted:

If any of those were captured in Europe, then sparks are going to fly. EU regulators do not mess around when it come to PII.

This sounds bad enough for American regulators to care, too.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I just googled this. About 36% of households are rented as of 2019. The UK is actually pretty close to that, too, which I find surprising. Anyway, point is that most people do not, in fact, rent apartments.

Huh, that's interesting. I stand corrected. That first link has a link to the US Census website and taking a quick look at it it's a pretty nifty website. Here's the data table for the housing survey from 2021 which says 35% rent.

Not that I'm disputing the data I'm really curious how "household" is classified because it's just really hard to believe to be honest.

Like, say it's a house where the owner lives but rents out the spare bedroom to a friend. Does that count as one or two households? Owner occupied or renter occupied? Or both? I guess in this scenario if it double-counted then it wouldn't matter since it balances itself out. But what if it's a house with two different renters and the owner doesn't live there?

e: Back on topic with IoT: I do like having automated lights and sensors and whatnot and have nothing against them. I do make it a point to only buy reputable hardware and even then I do silo them off on their own (virtual) network as much as possible. I would never make it a point to specifically buy say an IoT-enabled dishwasher or washing machine, but if it came with it I wouldn't really complain and think the notifications would be neat cause I tend to forget poo poo. I will never ever ever buy a stove/range/oven that is internet connected though because that can actually kill me in my sleep.

My concern with visiting a home with random branded Chinese IoT devices from Amazon/AliExpress are that these are definitely not reputable manufacturers that even do as little as pay lip service to privacy. And the people buying these cheap speakers and poo poo are definitely not the type who would even know how to setup a separate network for them.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Apr 6, 2023

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

cat botherer posted:

Why make a dishwasher smart anyway? Smart TVs make sense because they show you ads, but I don't get the angle for a dishwasher.

I remember a post from an old electronics forum where someone had wired their dishwasher and washing machine to delay starting until their solar hot water heater was at peak temperature. I imagine a similar system could be nice if you have time-of-use billing from your power company.

Of course the problem is that, for better or worse, none of these companies that I'm aware of have put any effort into making their products interoperable.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
dumb question but does LIDAR make human watchable videos or images?

feels like Tesla/Musk not only painted themseleves into a corner with an inferior solution, but made themselves a problem because optic cams need to make sure the video is secure.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Lidar doesn't create images, but other autonomous vehicles still use cameras as part of their object detection systems.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I would assume LIDAR data is just like a set of (x, y, z, distance) data points.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It’s more like an image where every pixel is a distance instead of a color. You have to do a bunch of stuff to turn those images into a 3d point cloud, then a bunch more stuff to turn that point cloud into a model that the car’s computer can do stuff with. Much of this is a solved problem tho.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Boris Galerkin posted:

I would assume LIDAR data is just like a set of (x, y, z, distance) data points.

That would be a human readable image. You just map depth from the camera to a grayscale and get something like a game's depth buffer.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

That would be a human readable image. You just map depth from the camera to a grayscale and get something like a game's depth buffer.

Sure, but the context seems to be whether the result could be a privacy concern like the output of a camera might. I think any rendering of a point cloud is stripped of enough visual information that it wouldn't be of much interest to anyone.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Lol if you can’t jerk it to two grey blobs slamming into each other

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I don't understand, are you saying that unprocessed sensor data is different than after it's put through the filter to make it viewable?

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

HootTheOwl posted:

I don't understand, are you saying that unprocessed sensor data is different than after it's put through the filter to make it viewable?

No, I just don’t think there’s enough information contained in a point cloud that I would consider it to be a privacy concern in the same way a camera would be. Not that it really matters, because any autonomous vehicle with LiDAR also has cameras.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Baronash posted:

No, I just don’t think there’s enough information contained in a point cloud that I would consider it to be a privacy concern in the same way a camera would be. Not that it really matters, because any autonomous vehicle with LiDAR also has cameras.

Remember the airport nudey scanners? TSA employees got caught screenshotting women and men with small penises. People who enjoy violating boundaries don't really need hi def and full color.

Also, the image I posted is literally from Minecraft.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Remember the airport nudey scanners? TSA employees got caught screenshotting women and men with small penises. People who enjoy violating boundaries don't really need hi def and full color.

Also, the image I posted is literally from Minecraft.

Yes, I assumed you were using it to illustrate your point, not showing what an actual point cloud from a car looked like.

Regardless, it’s apples and oranges, the level of fidelity you’re talking about isn’t there in vehicle lidar. Not to mention that folks rarely tend to be outside their running car while nude

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Baronash posted:

Yes, I assumed you were using it to illustrate your point, not showing what an actual point cloud from a car looked like.

Regardless, it’s apples and oranges, the level of fidelity you’re talking about isn’t there in vehicle lidar. Not to mention that folks rarely tend to be outside their running car while nude

Have you never gone skinny dipping with friends, using the car as a changing room/ghetto blaster on wheels? Shameful.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Boris Galerkin posted:

Huh, that's interesting. I stand corrected. That first link has a link to the US Census website and taking a quick look at it it's a pretty nifty website. Here's the data table for the housing survey from 2021 which says 35% rent.

Not that I'm disputing the data I'm really curious how "household" is classified because it's just really hard to believe to be honest.

Like, say it's a house where the owner lives but rents out the spare bedroom to a friend. Does that count as one or two households? Owner occupied or renter occupied? Or both? I guess in this scenario if it double-counted then it wouldn't matter since it balances itself out. But what if it's a house with two different renters and the owner doesn't live there?

e: Back on topic with IoT: I do like having automated lights and sensors and whatnot and have nothing against them. I do make it a point to only buy reputable hardware and even then I do silo them off on their own (virtual) network as much as possible. I would never make it a point to specifically buy say an IoT-enabled dishwasher or washing machine, but if it came with it I wouldn't really complain and think the notifications would be neat cause I tend to forget poo poo. I will never ever ever buy a stove/range/oven that is internet connected though because that can actually kill me in my sleep.

My concern with visiting a home with random branded Chinese IoT devices from Amazon/AliExpress are that these are definitely not reputable manufacturers that even do as little as pay lip service to privacy. And the people buying these cheap speakers and poo poo are definitely not the type who would even know how to setup a separate network for them.

Someone renting a room in a house where the owner also lives would be counted as living in "owner-occupied" housing. There aren't a ton of them, though.

If you get really strict about definitions and only include people who own their home and their blood/legal relatives, then somewhere between 53% and 58% of people in America own their own home.

Depending on how strict/what definition you use, somewhere between 53% and 65% of Americans own their own home.

Either way, most people in the U.S. own their own home.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Someone renting a room in a house where the owner also lives would be counted as living in "owner-occupied" housing. There aren't a ton of them, though.

If you get really strict about definitions and only include people who own their home and their blood/legal relatives, then somewhere between 53% and 58% of people in America own their own home.

Depending on how strict/what definition you use, somewhere between 53% and 65% of Americans own their own home.

Either way, most people in the U.S. own their own home.

I thought about it some more and I think I remember the last Census last year or the year before (my first time doing one) was “one survey per house/unit” no matter the number of renters. So a single house with 3 random renters would still be counted as a single household. And I think the data in the table I linked saying 35% of households were renter-occupied is strictly talking about housing units.

Household ≠ Population

So based on that, I don’t think that you can conclude that “the majority of the people rent” is false. It’s not for this tread but I’m curious if there’s any numbers for “the percentage of adults in America that rent vs own the place in which they live.”

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Boris Galerkin posted:

I thought about it some more and I think I remember the last Census last year or the year before (my first time doing one) was “one survey per house/unit” no matter the number of renters. So a single house with 3 random renters would still be counted as a single household. And I think the data in the table I linked saying 35% of households were renter-occupied is strictly talking about housing units.

Household ≠ Population

So based on that, I don’t think that you can conclude that “the majority of the people rent” is false. It’s not for this tread but I’m curious if there’s any numbers for “the percentage of adults in America that rent vs own the place in which they live.”

The stricter definitions where you only include individuals who own the home, their spouse, and minor children are how you get down to the 53-59% figures. That calculation excludes groups like adults living with their parents, adults living with roommates, and people living in accessory dwelling units.

Those counts are essentially “the percentage of adults in America that rent vs own the place in which they live" and they are about 7% to 12% lower than the official homeownership rate.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Boris Galerkin posted:

Household ≠ Population

I found articles that actually delved into that. I'm too lazy to dig through my browser history at this point, but from what I can tell it is in fact false. Basically, "housing units" generally includes apartments and other multi unit buildings (thus the name). Also, there are stats on the number of people in the average household household and the number of heads of household with dependents. For roommates to take renters from ~35% to a clear majority would require one of those numbers to be extremely wrong.

It's all a huge pain in the rear end, though, because none of the articles I could find defined all their terms. I'm not confident enough to fight anyone, but it's enough I wouldn't take on faith any claims that actually hinge on most people being renters.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

The stricter definitions where you only include individuals who own the home, their spouse, and minor children are how you get down to the 53-59% figures. That calculation excludes groups like adults living with their parents, adults living with roommates, and people living in accessory dwelling units.

Those counts are essentially “the percentage of adults in America that rent vs own the place in which they live" and they are about 7% to 12% lower than the official homeownership rate.

But why exclude those? I want them included because it doesn't make sense to exclude them. I'm basically saying I want every adult (18+) in America to be asked "do you own or rent the place in which you live" and the answer being own or rent. I'll accept that a couple living together can both be counted as being in the "own" category but I don't see why adults living with roommates and such should be excluded.

e: I don't care about the household as a unit, I care about the population. A standard college apartment situation with 2 people sharing a single unit should be counted as +2 to the rent category; a house where the owner lives in and rents out the extra room to a friend should be counted as +1 to own and +1 to rent. Someone who lives in their own condo alone and owns another condo that they rent out should still count as +1 to own, because the number of housing units he owns is irrelevant as he's still 1 person.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Apr 6, 2023

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

cat botherer posted:

At least that sounds slightly better than the annoying goddamn song my Samsung drier does at the end of the cycle. Apparently it can be turned off, but it's not easy.

If they're gonna be 'smart' you should at least be able to hack them for a custom tune.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
no we cant let you do that, you might put Hannah Montana em pee threes on there.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don’t have a Samsung laundry machine anymore but the song was my favorite part.

https://youtu.be/sY9o4Ap1WCo

E: oops wrong video

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Apr 7, 2023

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Boris Galerkin posted:

But why exclude those? I want them included because it doesn't make sense to exclude them. I'm basically saying I want every adult (18+) in America to be asked "do you own or rent the place in which you live" and the answer being own or rent. I'll accept that a couple living together can both be counted as being in the "own" category but I don't see why adults living with roommates and such should be excluded.

e: I don't care about the household as a unit, I care about the population. A standard college apartment situation with 2 people sharing a single unit should be counted as +2 to the rent category; a house where the owner lives in and rents out the extra room to a friend should be counted as +1 to own and +1 to rent. Someone who lives in their own condo alone and owns another condo that they rent out should still count as +1 to own, because the number of housing units he owns is irrelevant as he's still 1 person.

They are excluded from the "homeowner" definition. Not entirely.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

They are excluded from the "homeowner" definition. Not entirely.

I would be curious about treatment of people that own a home but are renting somewhere else (for whatever reason, for me it is because we moved my partners mum into my partner's place and moved overseas). I guess it would count as a homeowner, even if they don't live in that home.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

I don’t have a Samsung laundry machine anymore but the song was my favorite part.

https://youtu.be/sY9o4Ap1WCo

E: oops wrong video

We have an LG washing machine and dishwasher and they make a similar but shorter song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Y7rj98trow

Annoying thing with the washing machine is that it doesn't unlock for a couple of minutes after playing the drat song.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I've managed to do my laundry and chill my food perfectly fine all my life and it's never really felt difficult to me or a problem that needed solving. Especially at these prices.

Speaking of that, IME these appliances break a lot and, when they do, repair costs are extremely high since it's almost always something wrong with the CPU parts. I've replaced a brand new stove, fridge and dishwasher over the last 7 or 8 years and every time it was because of tech I didn't even need.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

The only bit of home automation I've really been grateful for lately has been some smart hose valves/moisture sensor I picked up for watering my garden. Having those things networked and app-controled for cheap has been fantastic.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Mister Facetious posted:

Home automation will only be worth using if it doesn't require you to contact someone ELSE'S "home" where a server is. Especially if they want a subscription fee too.

The only good home automation runs in-house, pun intended.

There should be a disclaimer on the devices letting you know if it needs to contact an outside server. For Home Assistant to contact an Ecobee thermostat it needs to use the internet, no good reason why. I would have bought something else if I had known at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
Hey! A few technical topics that I have some expertise in even though I have no idea what y'all are talking about. Perfect time to inject my opinion.

Baronash posted:

Sure, but the context seems to be whether the result could be a privacy concern like the output of a camera might. I think any rendering of a point cloud is stripped of enough visual information that it wouldn't be of much interest to anyone.

The answer is it depends, mostly on the resolution of the sensor but also how much information is being captured. Like if a LiDAR sensor was doing a recorded sequence of scans that captured someone walking around naked, you probably won't be able to tell whether the carpet matches the drapes. But you could get a pretty accurate 3D representation of their movements and the space that they're in, and if the resolution is sufficiently high, you can get a lot of spatial details. It's not (likely) to be spank bank material but I still don't think anyone is going to want a highly accurate 3D capture of their otherwise private spaces and movement.

source: my first real job was working with LiDAR at a defense contractor that specialized in remote sensing tech (satellites, radar etc)

Boris Galerkin posted:

I found articles that actually delved into that. I'm too lazy to dig through my browser history at this point, but from what I can tell it is in fact false. Basically, "housing units" generally includes apartments and other multi unit buildings (thus the name). Also, there are stats on the number of people in the average household household and the number of heads of household with dependents. For roommates to take renters from ~35% to a clear majority would require one of those numbers to be extremely wrong.

It's all a huge pain in the rear end, though, because none of the articles I could find defined all their terms. I'm not confident enough to fight anyone, but it's enough I wouldn't take on faith any claims that actually hinge on most people being renters.

There's a few things to clarify here.
1. The actual Census survey form isn't very useful for understanding what's being captured because the decennial Census itself doesn't ask a whole lot of detailed questions - they go for volume rather than detail. The American Community Survey is the ongoing survey that asks detailed questions annually on a much smaller sample, and they use the decennial Census as a baseline for imputing updated estimates for the population.
2. The Census bureau generally splits measures between the population of individuals and the population of housing units. Within those universes, they further subdivide based on the details. Households are a subset of housing units (with a specific criteria that I forget), and owner-occupied households are a further subset of households, etc. data.census.gov kinda sucks poo poo for navigating this stuff and I had a hard time finding the specific table that I wanted from ACS, but you really need to find specifically owner-occupied households vs renter-occupied.

source: I spent 7 years working at a company that bundled up Census data to make it easier to explore than the actual government's website. data.census.gov is an improvement over the old American Factfinder service but it's still not very easy to use.