Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Does the 2.02 patch not include that? Anyway, you can edit the options ini in AppData\Roaming\My The Lord of the Rings, The Rise of the Witch-king Files with whatever your res is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It's suppose to include a wide screen fix but it didn't work in my case.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Are there any good American Revolutionary War games?

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
The only two that come to mind are Empire total war and ultimate general: gettysburg.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
UA Age of Sail.

A Few Acres of Snow on Tabletop Simulator.

Ageod did 2 of them. They are not that great though.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
1775: Rebellion seems serviceable if you very specifically want the Revolutionary War? Haven't played it myself, but it seems okay if you're alright with digital adaptations of board games.

It is a surprisingly barren period in terms of coverage though.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Mar 30, 2023

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Samopsa posted:

ultimate general: gettysburg.

:raise:

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Jossar posted:

It is a surprisingly barren period in terms of coverage though.

I mean, it's not that surprising.

It's like making an ACW game, except the sides are even more mismatched; and anyone interested in the era will settle for a Napoleonic game... which has more interesting battles and evenly matched opponents.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

It's really good!

But superseded by Ultimate General: Civil War.

Honestly one of my favourite recent strategy / war games. No turns, no hexes, just sweeping manoeuvres on big open maps.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

fuf posted:

It's really good!

Honestly one of my favourite recent strategy / war games. No turns, no hexes, just sweeping manoeuvres on big open maps.
Did you find that the campaign tends to snowball a bit if you're winning? At the halfway point the Union seems to utterly outpace the Confederacy in terms of sheer size and equipment. I'm on my third run of the campaign now, ramping up the difficulty each time, and the same thing keeps happening. Of course that's historically accurate, but it still makes the campaign drag a little.

The battles are excellent regardless. Even with light mechanics and minimal unit variety, the fights are quite tense and fun without being overly long. There's something horrible about watching an infantry column get blasted in their flank by a cannon battery that never gets old. Also when you finally level a 2500 man battalion to 3 stars and they cleave directly through the enemy center.... drat

Also it's cool as hell that any infantry unit can spall off a little group of skirmishers. Hiding 120 dudes in some distant woods to scare the enemy while the main unit mashes them up is so good. They're decent scouts too, so skirms will often run ahead then end up in a fighting retreat to merge back with their battalion, resulting in some seriously cinematic moments. It's also viable to just leave them out somewhere haunting a flank or a cannon battery for the entire battle.

beer gas canister fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Mar 30, 2023

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

beer gas canister posted:

Did you find that the campaign tends to snowball a bit if you're winning? At the halfway point the Union seems to utterly outpace the Confederacy in terms of sheer size and equipment. I'm on my third run of the campaign now, ramping up the difficulty each time, and the same thing keeps happening. Of course that's historically accurate, but it still makes the campaign drag a little.

Oh yeah the campaign was the weakest part by far. I guess it's the classic dilemma where if the player does well then there's no challenge, but if you artificially ramp up the challenge then there's no incentive to do well.

Yeah it was all about the battles for me.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
i mean yeah like, if the player wins at antietam and smooshes the entire ANV against the river and wipes them out...if the game tried to handle that in any realistic sense you just would have to stop playing the game because there isn't any more game

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
The game is probably worth it just to play the historical battles as one-offs using the historical OOBs even if you ignore the campaign. I liked the campaign for what it’s worth but I agree it gets silly especially towards the end, you can keep smashing Confederate armies and they keep summoning up more for the next fight.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I did enjoy building my army, watching them earn experience throughout the war, and fitting them out with better and better gear to blast ole johnny reb with.

In that aspect, ever more hordes of rebellious confederates to flag and fail before my musket and grapeshot volleys was a good thing.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Reiterpallasch posted:

i mean yeah like, if the player wins at antietam and smooshes the entire ANV against the river and wipes them out...if the game tried to handle that in any realistic sense you just would have to stop playing the game because there isn't any more game

That's when time travelers show up and hand out machine guns to the survivors.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

fuf posted:

It's really good!

the joke is that it was suggested as a revolutionary war game

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

LLSix posted:

That's when time travelers show up and hand out machine guns to the survivors.

There was a game yeats ago that did something like this. It was a first person shooter where you traveled through time fixing history that was hosed up by another time traveler. At one point you march in a line of Union soliders up to some Confederates and pull out your full auto machine gun with heat seeking bullets and just mow them all down. When you weren't using future guns you had to use revolvers and muskets. The musket reload was hilarious as your guy reloaded it in like 5 seconds.

I think you are also sent to WW1 and the climax of the game was in Pompeii as the volcano was erupting.

Cool concept, absolute poo poo game.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

limp_cheese posted:

There was a game yeats ago that did something like this. It was a first person shooter where you traveled through time fixing history that was hosed up by another time traveler. At one point you march in a line of Union soliders up to some Confederates and pull out your full auto machine gun with heat seeking bullets and just mow them all down. When you weren't using future guns you had to use revolvers and muskets. The musket reload was hilarious as your guy reloaded it in like 5 seconds.

I think you are also sent to WW1 and the climax of the game was in Pompeii as the volcano was erupting.

Cool concept, absolute poo poo game.

Darkest Days or something like that?

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Kvlt! posted:

Darkest Days or something like that?

I couldn't remember rhe name but that's close. Darkest of Days I rhink.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I might try out Ultimate General too, enjoyed a civil war strategy game like that as a kid. Been playing Order of Battle as the Allies lately and it's fun similarly to absolutely smash a nazi army even knowing the campaign goals can only accommodate that reality so much. Oh I can defend the Low Countries fine motherfucker!!! No retreat!

Noosphere
Aug 31, 2008

[[[error]]] Damn not found.
Chiming in to say that I also greatly enjoyed Ultimate General. Though the campaign was somewhat janky, the gradual transition from desperate last stands to a triumphant march on Richmond was fun.

I especially enjoyed the fact that the game encourages you to give tasks to entire divisions or corps at a time, and that individual brigade micro isn't too necessary.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Yet at the same time, sneaking around behind the lines with a well micro'd brigade of dedicated skirmishers (Not just detached guys) can wreak incredible havoc on artillery, supplies, and low morale infantry.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

feller posted:

oh lmao that's a mistake yeah

Tbf, I'm from Europe. The tiny slapfights on your "new" continent are obviously insignificant compared to the glorious campaigns that took place here; telling them apart is very difficult for poor old me

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Funny enough, Game-Labs is coming out with an American Revolutionary War game, but it's still in development.

https://www.ug1775.com/

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

feller posted:

Oh haha, totally missed that

Panzeh posted:

Funny enough, Game-Labs is coming out with an American Revolutionary War game, but it's still in development.

https://www.ug1775.com/

Hell yeah, didn't know about this but now I'm really looking forward to it.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Has anyone here played Grand Tactician? The 3MA episode about it made it sound interesting.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Any thoughts on The Great War? IGN had an interesting video review that was generally positive and it looks intriguing.

Edit: found some on the last page

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Tiny Timbs posted:

Any thoughts on The Great War? IGN had an interesting video review that was generally positive and it looks intriguing.

Edit: found some on the last page

Posted in the new releases thread.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Age of Darkness is releasing the first 2 of 3 parts for their campaign mode on April 19th.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sl2dutfy4n0

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Infidelicious posted:

Posted in the new releases thread.

Thanks that was a good post. The ones here are about the prerelease version and I haven’t seen the AI complaints come up again.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

skaianDestiny posted:

Age of Darkness is releasing the first 2 of 3 parts for their campaign mode on April 19th.

I put that game on my watch list years ago because they had multiplayer on their planned timeline.

They still don't have multiplayer. Indeed, they don't appear to be particular close to it.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Corbeau posted:

I put that game on my watch list years ago because they had multiplayer on their planned timeline.

They still don't have multiplayer. Indeed, they don't appear to be particular close to it.

The latest update about multiplayer (coop) was some pics in December 2022.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/1426450/announcements/detail/3642880749800463938

I don't think they're a large team at all so I'm fine with waiting.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I had a lot of fun with The Great War. It’s not very deep for the reasons in the freshly released games thread, but the basic gameplay loop is tight and the visuals of mass charges into artillery and machine guns are spectacular.

The basic gameplay is the tactical map, which is where the game shines. You have 20 minutes to capture every enemy position (about 3-5 per map). Capturing a position means wiping out all enemies within range of it and getting your infantry there. If you capture less than all of the enemy positions, you can still win a “victory” but it won’t shift the front line. Also your troops regenerate in full between battles; all your casualties affect is the gold cost. So you basically need to go for broke every time.

Infantry in the open die to everything within 2-4 seconds. Only in trenches, or if anyone who could shoot them is actively being shelled by your artillery, are they safe from instadeath. So the basic sequence of play is you run a bunch of infantry up to just outside the enemy’s killing range, and then try to simultaneously (i) order enough of them to attack to overwhelm the closest trenches in melee; and (ii) drop artillery strikes on everyone who could fight back. Timing is crucial because as mentioned, 2-4 seconds in range but outside a trench and your dudes are dead.

If they make it into the trench and beat the defenders, the enemy will move all of its units that are in the same trench network to attack in the hopes of dislodging them. The only protection is that there is a max of 2 units of each side in the same trench segment at the same time. So you try to funnel in your guys to win the attrition battle, while never exposing any units to instadeath out in the open (ie you move just a couple of units at a time). It’s a very elegant push and pull balance and perfectly captures the essence of trench warfare. Since this is a fairly slow and involved process, and the time pressure is constantly on, it’s very hard to achieve a 100% victory without taking excess casualties.

You are limited by available supply, which is generated by the units you bring to the fight and which you spend to entrench and to summon units to the map. The supply you start with isn’t enough to mount an offensive so you really need to supplement from a global pool (which needs you to build a strategic map building in the hex you are attacking from).

The strategic section is much weaker. It is played turn based on a hex grid. The bit they get right is that you need multiple 100% victories to push the enemy back from a hex, and you and the enemy can redeploy any number of units anywhere on the map every turn. So it is really hard to get a sustainable advantage playing normally.

With efficient play you can absolutely break it over your knee though. On normal level I was able to win by turn 13 (august 1915) so, everyone home by Christmas second year. I did this by baiting the AI to surround a couple of big stacks of troops and attacking soft areas until their front was very thin, then attacking across the whole front until their morale collapsed. It still felt like an inelegant and wasteful victory and I’m curious if with better play there is a way to win by breaking through and capturing their HQ. I’m also curious to see if you can win more efficiently by going more on the defensive and then counterattacking.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

I feel like it would be very difficult to take like Paris unless you had already pocketed and destroyed a number of enemy divisions.

Just because anything less than 3 divisions is extremely vulnerable to the 9 stacks the AI prefers to attack with; and you need a minimum of 18 divisions split into 2-3 attacks to get thru 2-3 star territory in a single turn reliably.

IME Counterattacking to get a sweep is hard, because the AI doesn't like to attack without 3:1 odds so you're hard pressed supply wise to get enough artillery with enough coverage to not get bogged down by the attacking teams mgs and mortars (that they can actually afford to deploy).

Germany or French probably best bet though since they've got a relatively large economy advantage with conscripts and cheaper rifle companies in initial deployment.

Infidelicious fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Apr 6, 2023

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Kreuznach is five hexes from Luneville at game start and Paris is four from Laon. It is possible that a very patient player willing to intensively micro a whole-front attack every turn and careful enough with supply to do it without running out could create enough friction on the line to keep the 9-stacks pinned, and win through by using small stacks of exclusively elite troops on the attack. I found that on normal, French elite troops were highly capable in trench melee and regularly beat more than double their numbers in conscripts and nearly double their number of regulars.

I think the intended play is to push hard with your own 9-stacks, double up with care packages so you can attack again in the same turn, and focus defensive supply on wherever the enemy is attacking with its own 9-stacks.

The game does win a lot of points with me for making me think like Sir Douglas Haig though. Of *course* my own trenches on the attack are the lovely cheap ones, we’ll be attacking and most of the fighting will be in the enemy trenches! Of *course* it’s worth throwing another few brigades of men at that final redoubt in a desperate attempt to break through, because capturing it means the difference between capturing this hex or having it reset to fully guarded next turn.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sox2Ej2dNY

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Looks like Bohemia is making a Battlezonelike.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MBi2dYtf-E

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Mordja posted:

Looks like Bohemia is making a Battlezonelike.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MBi2dYtf-E

Given the RTS part is actual top down as opposed to Battlezone still being in first person for the strategy bits, I'd say it's actually closer to Urban Assault.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sg0zA4EQeqQ

God this brings me back.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Thank you for posting Urban Assault: that was cool as hell to play on the MSN Gaming Zone in the late '90s and early '00s, along with Allegiance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

Love Stole the Day posted:

Thank you for posting Urban Assault: that was cool as hell to play on the MSN Gaming Zone in the late '90s and early '00s, along with Allegiance.

I remember Allegiance, I got super into it for a while before I discovered DarkSpace, both were neat space RTS/Tactical hybrid games with unique spins on the same core idea.