Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

e: double post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

A comment there points out an extra layer of dumb, if this is the argument why isn't Alaska to scale?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
We all know that it's an island even larger than texas, no need to mess with the scale

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Is there even a continuous paved route across the top, south of the Canadian border, that does not cross into Jesusland?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

A comment there points out an extra layer of dumb, if this is the argument why isn't Alaska to scale?

Hmm why indeed

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
If Alaska split itself into three states, Texas would become the fourth largest state.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

credburn posted:

If Alaska split itself into three states, Texas would become the fourth largest state.

Sadly not true. Alaska does not have three times the land area of Texas. It’s not possible to split Alaska into three states, all of which are larger than Texas.

You can at best split it into thirds and have two of them dunk on Texas and the third essentially tie with Mississippi for what would then be the thirty‐third largest state.

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 01:57 on Apr 2, 2023

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Yeah no way in hell San Diego joins the red country without a fight.

Or Norfolk, for that matter. No way would the USN give up two of its biggest bases. Like this is dumb even on top of being dumb to begin with.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

what if you split alaska into three states by throwing texas at it

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

OwlFancier posted:

what if you split alaska into three states by throwing texas at it

It divides into Californium and British Columbium and releases three neutrons and ten to the thirty‐six electron‐volts.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Platystemon posted:

It divides into Californium and British Columbium and releases three neutrons and ten to the thirty‐six electron‐volts.

Nuclear fission? No thanks, national fission is much more sustainable!

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Platystemon posted:

Sadly not true. Alaska does not have three times the land area of Texas. It’s not possible to split Alaska into three states, all of which are larger than Texas.

You can at best split it into thirds and have two of them dunk on Texas and the third essentially tie with Mississippi for what would then be the thirty‐third largest state.

I think Canada would donate a little Yukon if it meant dunkin on Texas.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

America can have little a Yukon, as a treat

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Platystemon posted:

It divides into Californium and British Columbium and releases three neutrons and ten to the thirty‐six electron‐volts electoral votes.

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!

Freaquency posted:

America can have little a Yukon, as a treat

So that's what they'd do for a Klondike Bar.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Someone in the political cartoons thread linked to these "venn diagram" "cartoons" that fail at being either.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/series/edith-pritchett-s-venn-diagrams

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
All of them are thinly disguised Predator handshake memes.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

So, the graphics are dumb, of course. It's also pretty obvious, but kinda interesting to see numbers. Until your eye walks to the left and finds the youngest rabbits are not included in this chart. You know, the ones who are also quite likely to die over a winter. Terrible.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

So, no matter what age you are, you're not going to survive the winter?

edit: oh the graphics aren't part of the graph, nevermind

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Count Roland posted:

So, the graphics are dumb, of course. It's also pretty obvious, but kinda interesting to see numbers. Until your eye walks to the left and finds the youngest rabbits are not included in this chart. You know, the ones who are also quite likely to die over a winter. Terrible.

It's also annoying because there is no source or any explanation. What animals?? Some type of deer? Where?? Winter in Italy is different to winter in Canada.

Leaving fawn out of the study is probably reasonable, just like we make a distinction between baby mortality vs others, especially in historical records.

Nenonen has a new favorite as of 20:28 on Apr 5, 2023

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Presumably that context is in whatever paper the chart is from?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Nenonen posted:

Winter in Italy is different to winter in Canada.

Hell, winter in Italy is different from winter in Italy.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Subjunctive posted:

Hell, winter in Italy is different from winter in Italy.

So is winter in Canada

Offler
Mar 27, 2010
Also the claim that the absolute worst odds of surviving the winter for any 3-year old animal is 70% sounds very fishy.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Offler posted:

Also the claim that the absolute worst odds of surviving the winter for any 3-year old animal is 70% sounds very fishy.

Fish do just fine in the winter :confused:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Count Roland posted:

rabbits

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Nenonen posted:

It's also annoying because there is no source or any explanation. What animals?? Some type of deer? Where?? Winter in Italy is different to winter in Canada.

Leaving fawn out of the study is probably reasonable, just like we make a distinction between baby mortality vs others, especially in historical records.

Wyoming apparently.

https://twitter.com/karinbrulliard/status/1643648021719138304?s=20

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/NavigatorSurvey/status/1643243269969842176?t=-e6g8uCWzuOvBbJ4bZstvA&s=19

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Holy open-ended question, Batman!

I wonder why 35% of Black people want them to talk about it more - but with a question like that it's anyone's guess.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

in fairness i don't think you could ask a precise question about "wokeness" because the people complaining about it don't know what it means either.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

jeebus bob posted:

I wonder why 35% of Black people want them to talk about it more - but with a question like that it's anyone's guess.

i was thining either "everybody should be more aware of institutional racism" or "yeah keep talking, you sound dumb and people are realizing it", maybe a mix + the 5% of everybody who give insane answers to polls

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
What's missing is how many people don't care either way. I suspect that a lot of them had to pick 'just the right amount'.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Nenonen posted:

there's nothing wrong with that graph

you're just having a thing

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

To be fair to a reader who understands quotation marks as being about quotations and not for emphasis, that question is more specific. To be real nobody understands quotation marks.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

CommonShore posted:

. "To be real nobody understands quotation marks."

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
Now with 22% more apathy!

This is obviously stupid in a number of ways, but I like that the party that hates the southern border gets the entire southern border.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Alaska looking sus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

CommonShore posted:

To be real nobody understands quotation mark"s.