Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
You get into the industry because you're passionate about film/TV, and then the second that your livelihood depends on it your opinions curdle and you can only view modern productions through a business lens. Marvel/Superhero movies are the cancer killing the industry*, the focus on tentpole franchise releases has shoved small/mid-budget projects out of theatrical into television/digital space, where talent both in front of and behind the camera make significantly less for more work.

*(Until you, or a person you know who could get you work, gets a job on one. Then they're great, everybody on the project is so committed to it, no criticism will ever be uttered in a public forum. Pratt's great to work with, actually.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

RFX posted:

I know this podcast is filled with insane movie opinions, but from Tuesday's episode - can someone explain to me why "giving an Alien sequel to a music video director" is good/inspiring but "giving a Marvel movie to someone who made an independent film" is bad/dumb?

The way they treat the film industry of 30 years ago with such reverence is insane to me. Hollywood is bad now and it was bad then just in different ways, why do they insist on lionizing it?

Podcast bad but here I am still listening.

Haven't listened to the ep yet but if I had to guess it's probably because sometimes they get shoehorned into the superhero ecosystem in a way that didn't happen as often in the past?

Like the guy who directed the MCU Spider-man movies has been making nothing but Spider-man movies ever since he started on them. Meanwhile Fincher directed Alien 3 and then went on to do his own thing after that.

It's understandable why a director would make that choice because hey, it's a steady job. But I can see it being disappointing if you like an indie director and then they do nothing but MCU movies for a decade.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

RFX posted:

I know this podcast is filled with insane movie opinions, but from Tuesday's episode - can someone explain to me why "giving an Alien sequel to a music video director" is good/inspiring but "giving a Marvel movie to someone who made an independent film" is bad/dumb?

because the music video director was given liberty to bring their personal stank to the project. cool indie directors who get Marvel movies just make the same exact film over, and over, and over again. it's really simple and they've said it explicitly

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

also the unions were stronger 30 years ago so there was better pay all around - cast and crew. there were more opportunities to take low- and mid- budget movie risks that simply don't exist anymore. that's why everyone is nostalgic about the 90s

0konner
Nov 17, 2016

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

indigi posted:

also the unions were stronger 30 years ago so there was better pay all around - cast and crew. there were more opportunities to take low- and mid- budget movie risks that simply don't exist anymore. that's why everyone is nostalgic about the 90s

Well that and also the 90s is when the people in question were young.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

they were all in high school at that point so I doubt they have any personal nostalgia for working in 90s Hollywood

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

that was a clarification for my original post. nostalgia is probably the wrong word to use

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

indigi posted:

Wiger’s offhand comments on terrible pay from Funny or Die is a favorite recurring gag.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Wiger’s offhand comments on terrible pay from Funny or Die is a favorite recurring gag.

It was truly criminal what Funny or Die and College Humor were doing from like 2008-2016. They hosed over so many struggling actors and writers.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

soggybagel posted:

It was truly criminal what Funny or Die and College Humor were doing from like 2008-2016. They hosed over so many struggling actors and writers.

Yeah I see some people express oh man I miss that kind of content but no gently caress that terrible companies.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

It’s interesting Wiger had so many terrible jobs like Funny or Die & Activision game tester but never seems to have worked anything blue collar, while Mitch did work on a garbage truck but it wasn’t too bad and had a much better time in comedy with the Birthday Boys. Helps explain Mitch being more laid back while Wiger can be high strung.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I think you have the cause and effect backward

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Wiger just wanting to quit and go work at Costco was such a "the grass is always greener" moment

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

SunshineDanceParty posted:

Yeah I see some people express oh man I miss that kind of content but no gently caress that terrible companies.

Nothing like doing a branded ad where they pay you 125 dollars for a 12 hour day of work and then they're paying one celebrity whos on the shoot like 250k

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
https://twitter.com/murderxbryan/status/1638193261339635718

Haven't listened to the ep yet but Guys is a super funny podcast. Check it out if you want some more D-Boys content.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

little munchkin posted:

https://twitter.com/murderxbryan/status/1638193261339635718

Haven't listened to the ep yet but Guys is a super funny podcast. Check it out if you want some more D-Boys content.

the sex guys and erowid guys episodes with YKS are really good too

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

eke out posted:

the sex guys and erowid guys episodes with YKS are really good too

Guys taught me that I can cure Pink Eye by huffing Glade, and for that I'm thankful.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Open the full image

https://twitter.com/seanmillsmedia/status/1638237589202169863?s=46&t=vTNZavhRg3gJqoP7LCLG5A

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

The Munch Madness finale is excellent, especially who they got to sing the national anthem.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Yeah it was super fun and the Doughscord live chat was a great time.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Listening to the audio it seems like there’s a co2 leak in head gum studios.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Should I go ahead and buy the Moment video replay?

Also is there a way to save it for posterity on my pc?

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

Quixotic1 posted:

Should I go ahead and buy the Moment video replay?

Also is there a way to save it for posterity on my pc?

They said it'll be released on YouTube after 60 days, so you can be patient or you can spend money

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

I’d just wait for it to hit YouTube tbh. There’s not like a ton you’re getting from watching it vs listening. It was really fun as a live event in the Doughscord chat with Drop King and everyone, but I’m not sure it’s really worth it otherwise.

But these guys have provided me with countless hours of entertainment so I don’t mind throwing them a little bit of money on occasion. Even if Mitch is a rich man with stairs in his house.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Maybe I’m nuts or just not very observant but has Susser always had a noticeable lisp?

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Dr.Radical posted:

Maybe I’m nuts or just not very observant but has Susser always had a noticeable lisp?

Every time I've heard him it's there.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

god callers loving suck

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
I can’t tell if I find Amelia endearing or concerning. Either way, fun times.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

I love Amelia and I want her to become the Doughboys' own Producer Ben.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

the producers since Yusong have been bad imo and I wish they wouldn't talk so much

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

indigi posted:

the producers since Yusong have been bad imo and I wish they wouldn't talk so much

Oh, really? Why is that?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

they're not funny, while Nick Mitch and Yusong are. also Emma

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

MokBa posted:

I love Amelia and I want her to become the Doughboys' own Producer Ben.

i was laughing so hard at today's appearance, she's good

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

eke out posted:

i was laughing so hard at today's appearance, she's good

I just think she has a good lil stinker energy that pairs nicely with the Boys’ many neuroses.

Ezis
Oct 10, 2001

She reminds me a lot me griffin newman, another of the lil stinker archetype

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy
I think Amelia is the funniest one they've had so far, I love her energy

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

bartlebee posted:

That seems like one of those memories you look back on as an adult and can't remember if it really happened or not. "Was... Jack Box... at my high school graduation?"

lmfaoooo 100% true, very surreal.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
lol at "Oedipus Steps"

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Jamie Loftus is really funny, see her standup if you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
Her podcast mini-series are really good too. I especially enjoyed My Year in Mensa and the Aack Cast (a deep dive into the comic strip Cathy).