Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
All of Odencat's games (Fishing Paradiso, Bear's Restaurant, etc.) tend to be fairly similar in that the gameplay, while enjoyable, is fairly light and trivial, and mostly there to provide a framework for the real meat of the game: slowly getting to know a cast of melancholy pixel people and helping them overcome their past trauma. That's not to say that they're bad games, of course. If e.g. helping the newly dead come to terms with their death and the uncertain eternity ahead of them is a concept that appeals to you, go for it, but if you're looking for an in-depth fishing sim/restaurant manager/etc. you might want to look elsewhere.

Speaking of fishing games, though, DREDGE is scheduled to unlock today, if you want a side of spooks with your fishing.

Inadequately fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Mar 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Are there any good restaurant sims out there now?

I've got fond memories of playing hours of fast food tycoon 2 (or that's what scholastic called it when I got it, I always wondered why the Mafia was in the game..) and would love something to scratch that itch

I never even used the actual crimes part of it, it's just fun designing/managing things and watching number go up

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Moonglow Bay is a fishing game I really enjoyed but it kind of feels like a single playthrough. It’s not super short but not crazy long either. Apparently it is plagued by bugs on PC that are not well attended to - my experience was lucky in that it was bug free.

It seemed, honestly, pretty easy if you’re tolerant of the cooking mini games (QTE style things) and it was super charming to me. I’d love if someone took its legs and made it slightly more, I dunno. Creative/managey/in depth instead of mostly a story and some wacky/fantasy (if really cool and arty, though) settings.

It definitely flew under the radar but I’d recommend it honestly.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Picked up Touhou Mystia's Izakaya as it was on sale, and even though I know pretty much nothing about Touhou it's been a fun time so far running a little mobile restaurant. The integration of sudden rhythm game mechanics was unexpected, but it integrates pretty well. Experimenting with dishes on the fly to try and please everyone keeps things interesting alongside that.

I end up spending a lot of money on sweet alcohol to make the rare customers happy, but hey, if you want to sit there and eat 7 meals in a row it's all good as long as you're paying.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Moonglow Bay is a fishing game I really enjoyed but it kind of feels like a single playthrough. It’s not super short but not crazy long either. Apparently it is plagued by bugs on PC that are not well attended to - my experience was lucky in that it was bug free.

It seemed, honestly, pretty easy if you’re tolerant of the cooking mini games (QTE style things) and it was super charming to me. I’d love if someone took its legs and made it slightly more, I dunno. Creative/managey/in depth instead of mostly a story and some wacky/fantasy (if really cool and arty, though) settings.

It definitely flew under the radar but I’d recommend it honestly.

I played it for 15 minutes and the way its camera swiveled (I think) it made me extremely motion sick. But it looked at.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Inadequately posted:

Speaking of fishing games, though, DREDGE is scheduled to unlock today, if you want a side of spooks with your fishing.

Picked this up on release and I'm really enjoying it

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

I was on the fence, but that avatar recommending it means I'll pick it up and try it out

Varsity
Jun 4, 2006

RE: Dredge

It's eh! It's way more fun at first when you start the game, there's some weirdness going on, and fishing actually feels like it has some meaning, going out and collecting fish, one by one and managing the inventory, exploring the local areas and thinking about the cool stuff you get to add to your boat.

Opinions on mid-game and why I probably won't return.

About halfway through the game (that I can tell, going on how many biomes there are in the game), fishing doesn't really matter any more, it's just resource nodes that you fill up your inventory with so you can get enough money to make it to the next upgrade. Different fish types don't really matter, other than increasing your money per trip.

Upgrading feels *really* lackluster. At first it's nice to have a little bit more cargo space, a little more room to get a bigger engine, but about halfway up the upgrade tree, it's "get a whole 4 more cargo slots! Get one extra engine grid spot!" and at that point it just makes your trips a couple percentage points faster, or fit one or two more fish in the cargo hold.

At first the quests were fun, but they really boil down to back and forth trips and collecting specific fish out of the random spawns. They're not difficult or too dangerous, just lots of travel back and forth.

Not sure if I'll finish, because the last biome will probably be just more of the same in a different area.

The game had a lot of potential at the beginning, but everything feels like a flat line in terms of 'stuff to do'. You're doing the same exact thing you were doing in hour 1, but in hour 5, you're doing it faster. Had there been an actual fishing minigame that different rods/equipment allowed you to navigate differently, it would have kept things fresh, or a reason to be excited other than opening new fishing nodes that are the exact same. Sailing feels great at the beginning, but there isn't a lot of 'gamey'ness to it, and you're eventually just blasting through waiting on a 'speed-up' cooldown while avoiding the easy to avoid obstacles/occult stuff.

TLDR: It starts off promising, and then it's just back and forth sailing between interaction points. Eh.

Overall, it's super cute and very charming, but I have a difficult time wanting to go back to it after a couple hours.

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
Dredge mid-game is more about solving the current region’s puzzle with fishing only to fund the upgrades/repairs needed to solve it. I just finished region 4 of 5 and honestly it was my favorite so far, it leveraged fishing more in thematic ways and the puzzle was fulfilling to solve. It also saw the vast majority of my deaths.

They could definitely rip out the Eldritch aspect and have a fishing-only game, and running work orders. It’s probably be a solid f2p mobile game. Anyhow I really like it but, like Potionomics, I doubt I’ll replay it.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Odd Wilson posted:

Picked up Touhou Mystia's Izakaya as it was on sale, and even though I know pretty much nothing about Touhou it's been a fun time so far running a little mobile restaurant. The integration of sudden rhythm game mechanics was unexpected, but it integrates pretty well. Experimenting with dishes on the fly to try and please everyone keeps things interesting alongside that.

I end up spending a lot of money on sweet alcohol to make the rare customers happy, but hey, if you want to sit there and eat 7 meals in a row it's all good as long as you're paying.

Not sure if it counts as a management game, but I'm definitely seconding this recommendation.
e: oops, thought this was the management games thread. But it's not really a life sim either? It'S more like a mix of Recettear, the Atelier series and...Diner Dash?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wkY6qzbVRI

Tamba fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Apr 2, 2023

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I loved Sunless Sea; is Dredge likely to scratch that itch, or is it mostly about fishing?

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Dredge is less about resource/sanity managment than Sunless Sea, and more about fishing, but it's got a lot of the same vibes. The second half of the game is far less fishing-centric and far more Lovecraftian horror.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Ooo I loved sunless sea, sign me up.

Zeron posted:

Portia is very janky and has issues, but it's incredibly satisfying how you basically build up the whole world from scratch. And then you're seeing the results of your work and progress everywhere in the game as you go.

This is basically how I feel about Portia. It has a lot of jank and rough edges, I for one hated the sound effects for combat which are just awful, but it makes up for it in charm and a rewarding gameplay loop.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
How does Sandrock compare to Portia on that front? Both have been sitting on my wishlist for a while and I'm not sure if I should go for cheaper or newer

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Sandrock isn't going to be story-complete for a while, so just play through Portia for now.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

SexyBlindfold posted:

How does Sandrock compare to Portia on that front? Both have been sitting on my wishlist for a while and I'm not sure if I should go for cheaper or newer

Not story complete, but there's still a good chunk of story and the gameplay is strictly superior to portia

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

SexyBlindfold posted:

Someone in this thread was complaining that the characters and environment of sandrock is a lot more cynical and less optimistic that Portia, which seems like it would sap out one of the best things about the game. Is that the case?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I didn't really notice it? There's one obligatory jerk rival like in Portia, but he's kinda funny tbh and the other NPCs run a similar gamut to Portia, IMO.

The environment is a desert and everyone lives in a very vulnerable oasis that they take great pains to protect and sustainably use. I thought it was neat.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Sandrocks a bit more front and center about the whole world being post-post apocalyptic due to the town being partially founded to do ruin diving but I wouldn't call it cynical. It's still pretty chill.

fun fact one of the main cities in the country the games are set in was completely destroyed when something wandered out of the massive no man's land that's filled with old man made horrors beyond comprehension and destroyed it for seemingly nonreason

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Is Portia still a little buggy or has it been mostly solid? I remember hearing that it seemed devs kinda just abandoned it for Sandrock but that might have been some forum speculation. Been in the mood for a chill game on my steam deck. Debating between Portia or Dinkum.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Disappointing Pie posted:

Is Portia still a little buggy or has it been mostly solid? I remember hearing that it seemed devs kinda just abandoned it for Sandrock but that might have been some forum speculation. Been in the mood for a chill game on my steam deck. Debating between Portia or Dinkum.

Portia is not buggy and hasn't been for years. It does feel janky and not quite finished because the devs did abandon it for Sandrock (after several years of free post-release expansions). But the main storyline is still over a hundred hours and is several complete story arcs. The main source of jank is that some npcs were clearly one of the dev's favorite and so got a lot more development than the others, which leaves the other npcs feeling unfinished, but that's a design issue, not an implementation issue (the distinction is the why it feels janky and unfinished, but is still stable).

Dinkum is fine. It's more Animal Crossing than Stardew Valley. Growing crops is fine, but getting sprinklers and other end-game items is very resource intensive. We played 40 hours of it and are done with it, but enjoyed it the whole time.

In contrast, I've played 800 hours of Portia.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Anyone got a good guide for RF5? Especially with regards to farm tool recipes? I'm still using starter tools and can't find anywhere that drops bronze so I can make the upgrades.

All the guides and wikis for RF5 I've found have been a lot less helpful than their RF4 equivalents.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Can you still do the magnify glass trick in RF5? I love doing that

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

LLSix posted:

Anyone got a good guide for RF5? Especially with regards to farm tool recipes? I'm still using starter tools and can't find anywhere that drops bronze so I can make the upgrades.

All the guides and wikis for RF5 I've found have been a lot less helpful than their RF4 equivalents.

bronze is normally obtainable starting with the lava dungeon, but you can go get some right from the start at the ne corner of phoros woodlands. you'll have to avoid fights, is all.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I liked Portia a lot but not quite enough to finish it.
My biggest problem with it is that all the characters need at least 10 times more writing done for them to not constantly repeat lines.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

I liked Portia a lot but not quite enough to finish it.
My biggest problem with it is that all the characters need at least 10 times more writing done for them to not constantly repeat lines.

After playing Rune Factory 4 this is something that I think makes a massive difference. Even if most things were functionally the same, there is SO MUCH dialogue that I legitimately think I played it for 2 in game years at least and didn’t catch repeat lines. If I did, I didn’t notice or didn’t remember since it had been so long since they last time they said them.

It’s probably the one thing I wish Stardew had more of. Outside of events characters all say the same things for the most part and it takes me out of it a bit.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’ve put about 15 hours into Dream light valley and drat if it’s not charming. It’s the right kinda chill but engaging enough to keep me interested. The music is absolutely on point as well. I also appreciate the way they’ve done the stamina system it never feels like I need to stop till I’m ready to call it a day.

I’ve been playing it on my steam deck, PC, and Xbox and the cloud save has been great.

If you have gamepass you can log into that version and get a boat load of free currency.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I've also been playing Dreamlight Valley and it's a way better game than I had thought it would be. Donald Duck has one of my favorite animations of any video game. Dude trips and falls onto his face then gets so mad that he vibrates and just appears standing up. I thought it was a glitch originally, but no he just gets so angry he skips frames. It rules. Only one save slot isn't a problem either, because you can fully customize your character at any time. A great mix of animal crossing and harvest moon with a Disney coat of paint.

Also thinking I might start up Graveyard Keeper again, apparently it has a bunch of DLC and I haven't played it since launch.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Dreamlight Valley definitely grabbed my wife and I for a few weeks. She played on Switch and I played on PC and we were like, sending each other texts about what we had and what we were doing and ‘ooo I got so and so’ ‘what?! I didn’t even know that was a thing!’ Etc.

Also the UI for rearranging and placing things and the sheer blank canvas that is the town is awesome.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

e: wrong thread sorry

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012
Agreed. I have almost 370 hours in Disney Dreamlight Valley (I was a first-week player). I'm currently redesigning my Plaza to fit in all the new attraction reward items. :) Still haven't finished the two newest character quest lines, either.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Prideful Sloth's (Grow: Song of the Evertree) next game is called Go-Go Town and looks to be Animal Crossing but with more city planning/growing elements

https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256935954/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1679569544

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2195120/GoGo_Town/

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I tried Dinkum a while back. I was put off with how you start with literally nothing. Mostly how there's absolutely no community to move into, that you have to build it yourself. Does the "village" begin taking on life quickly?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Mrenda posted:

I tried Dinkum a while back. I was put off with how you start with literally nothing. Mostly how there's absolutely no community to move into, that you have to build it yourself. Does the "village" begin taking on life quickly?

Not really. It gets there eventually but it's a long, slow road.

To get villagers to move in, you have to get them up to 1 heart. Villagers who haven't moved in yet show up randomly in the guest tent that you build early on. Who shows up any given day is random. So it can take awhile for anyone to show up enough times to even give you the option of having them move in. Then you have to build their tent/house.

The exception to this is the starter merchant. He is the only person who shows up until you build his house. So you're guaranteed to get him relatively quickly. But after that, getting, e.g. the option to buy seeds or animals is totally random. It could happen the next day or it could take weeks before they randomly show up.

It does get lively, eventually. Until then, we kept ourselves busy by planting an orchard (bury tree fruit to grow fruit trees) and making lots of traps to ship crocs and stuff off the island. It's pretty slow though. I can't really recommend it if you're already not liking it.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Is Dinkum worth playing now or should I wait for it to exit early access? I can deal with a bit of jank or a couple of villagers or resources that still need to be added, but I’d rather wait if large portions of the game are missing.

I bought it on sale while drunk so it’s not a question of buy/don’t buy.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Is Dinkum worth playing now or should I wait for it to exit early access? I can deal with a bit of jank or a couple of villagers or resources that still need to be added, but I’d rather wait if large portions of the game are missing.

I bought it on sale while drunk so it’s not a question of buy/don’t buy.

It's totally worth playing now.

boz
Oct 16, 2005
I just finished building the lift in Portia, about how far into it am I?

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Dunkin’ is real solid but also feels very much like a slow burn to get things moving.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Ok thanks I’ll give it a shot.

I just got planet crafter to the fish>amphibian stage and I’m 0.1% of the way to amphibian after a few hours of play so I think it’s time to shelve this until more stuff comes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

boz posted:

I just finished building the lift in Portia, about how far into it am I?

About a third, maybe a quarter? It's early enough that my first thought was "which lift?"