Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
These changes all look pretty good. Looking forward to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Capfalcon posted:

That is honestly one of the best dev diaries since release. Better law enacting, governing parties making demands of the player, more laws, revolutions being more unpredictable are all great changes.

Agree, it's nice to see that they can take an area of the game which is just "fine but not very inspiring" and rework it enough that I'm excited to play with it.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

TwoQuestions posted:

implementing OPB's subsistence law changes.

Can you elaborate on this? What changes are these?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Thank you for linking it - I think I like the looks of the changes that they are making.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

TwoQuestions posted:

Looks like they're greatly expanding law changes and Revolutions, and implementing OPB's subsistence law changes. That should make an India/Russia/China playthrough better, what with their bottomless subsistence farms.
I am curious about this too.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

EU sieges in a trenchcoat was way too good of a description hahaha

Pretty cool changes overall, imho. Reminds me a bit of the The New Order mod for HOI4 - I especially like the implication of a petition for a critical issue being something that, even if it gets shot down, has inevitable fallout to be managed.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

RabidWeasel posted:

One interesting thing I've noticed in a recent game which I assumed wouldn't be possible due to how Paradox games tend to work: it's currently possible for a country to join a diplomatic play against a country that they're already at war with.

Specifically I was playing Serbia; Wallachia started a play to declare independence from the OE with Russian support. I waited for war to break out and for the Ottoman balkans to get partially occupied, then started my own play for independence. Surprisingly, I was able to sway the Russians to aid me in exchange for Ottoman humiliation, which let me add an extra war goal in my favour and the OE gave in without a fight. I'm not sure what would have happened if they had pushed it to a war as it would have resulted in Russia being in two separate wars against the same target, which isn't typically something that can happen in a Paradox game.

they'd just be in both wars at once. Some weird things can happen from this like frontline generals resetting on a peace of one or the order of war rep application, but otherwise works fine

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Thank you for linking it - I think I like the looks of the changes that they are making.

I am curious about this too.

Basically it's a mod that adds in laws that determine what your subsistence farmers are like. So you have serfdom, estate farming, corporate farms, smallholders etc each of which gives clout and ownership bonuses to different igs so there's actually a difference between a Russian serf and an American smallfarmer

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2935989855&searchtext=opb

As Agean90 said, there's a bunch of subsistence laws alongside Serfdom or no, one of them even makes the Rural Folk want to implement Colonial Resettlement. It's a good way to increase the SOL of peasants without having to fully enclose your land with poo poo-tons of Plantations. It's probably still better to do that in the long run, but it's nice to have an alternative.

It's also a whole bunch of tweaks so you can't as easily chug along into the 1920s with a repressive society, IGs have more teeth and get angrier at being under the Tsar's bootheel.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Without knowing the details, it seems to be laws related to land management that can empower groups like the Rural Folk and change the output of subsistence farms to allow for non-plantation farming to be viable.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Agean90 posted:

Basically it's a mod that adds in laws that determine what your subsistence farmers are like. So you have serfdom, estate farming, corporate farms, smallholders etc each of which gives clout and ownership bonuses to different igs so there's actually a difference between a Russian serf and an American smallfarmer

TwoQuestions posted:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2935989855&searchtext=opb

As Agean90 said, there's a bunch of subsistence laws alongside Serfdom or no, one of them even makes the Rural Folk want to implement Colonial Resettlement. It's a good way to increase the SOL of peasants without having to fully enclose your land with poo poo-tons of Plantations. It's probably still better to do that in the long run, but it's nice to have an alternative.

It's also a whole bunch of tweaks so you can't as easily chug along into the 1920s with a repressive society, IGs have more teeth and get angrier at being under the Tsar's bootheel.
Thank you for the info, that sounds neat and I am glad that it is getting added to the base game in some degree.

dead gay comedy forums posted:

EU sieges in a trenchcoat was way too good of a description hahaha
Agreed, it got a hearty chuckle out of me.

I'm really curious what is hidden behind the redacted stuff in all the screenshots.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

"EU4 sieges in a trenchcoat" is straight up brilliant wordsmithing. :allears:

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Intrigued by the petition mechanic change. this could make putting conservatives in the government an actual dangerous affair.

e: and 40 new revolution events :) should add some nice flavor. seems the cookies are coming out of the oven.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

great stuff from the DD, excited to see how the landholding laws are being incorporated into the game in the next one

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Man, whoever said yesterday was the last opportunity to play for a while was right. These changes are way too exciting!

Being able to mitigate bad rolls is basically everything I could want. It still costs something and could eventually tank the law, but it's not just a 'lol, get hosed' basically instant failure when you're forced to take a -10% on your first roll for something that only had an 18% to start with.

If there's anything I'm worried about though it's potential event spam with these additional steps firing more frequently. We'll have to see how it is in practice.

I'm also super hyped for land distribution laws! I saw the mod this is based off of, and I was kind of hoping it'd be integrated, especially since a lot of other balance stuff from that guy's mods has already been cited as inspiration for a lot of patch notes in 1.2.

Until that mod maker pointed it out, I didn't realize that, for instance, subsistence farms in Iowa employ aristocrats. That's exactly the kind of land distribution system that the European peasants wanted to escape when they moved to distant frontiers.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

I'm excited for anything that makes passing laws more than putting up a 5% success law and hoping it snowballs somewhere (only to hit 50% and snowball right back to 0% :negative:). This stuff sounds interesting for shaking up the government and laws than going for the good laws when you get the right IGs in power or petitions, or nothing when the landlords are in charge.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Scrublord Prime posted:

I'm excited for anything that makes passing laws more than putting up a 5% success law and hoping it snowballs somewhere (only to hit 50% and snowball right back to 0% :negative:). This stuff sounds interesting for shaking up the government and laws than going for the good laws when you get the right IGs in power or petitions, or nothing when the landlords are in charge.
Agreed. I have a feeling with the changes to how IGs will have agendas now, the game wont be "pass every law you want then stop interacting with the system" and instead be a more slow-burn of adding new laws every so often once your IGs calm down.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I just had a game where every IG except the Intelligensia and Armed Forces had a traditionalist leader at the same time :shepicide:

Yes that includes the TUs

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011

RabidWeasel posted:

I just had a game where every IG except the Intelligensia and Armed Forces had a traditionalist leader at the same time :shepicide:

Yes that includes the TUs

I hope at some point there's a way to semi-reliably influence which IG ideologies you get, even if it creates Radicals or decreases Legitimacy or something. It's incredibly frustrating when you're just going Speed 5 for a while because every single IG wants a tyrannical ethnonationalist hellstate.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
I see that this is going to be another game where I only have a very limited time window to play it between a patch being released and info about the next coming out. Pretty excited about these changes, I usually prefer to try and let law changes happen organically instead of just open palm slamming them the instant it becomes possible and currently the movements weren't quite dynamic enough to accomodate that.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Good changes, I am excited.

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
There should be a university slot in Virginia at the game start. College of William and Mary founded in 1693. I bought the music pack so you have to listen to this paradox

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

I hope with these changes they’re also tweaking revolutions so when the communists rise up against the tsar their demands aren’t to install a new tsar with exactly one law change: better worker protections

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

BBJoey posted:

I hope with these changes they’re also tweaking revolutions so when the communists rise up against the tsar their demands aren’t to install a new tsar with exactly one law change: better worker protections

Is that supposed to be a game balance thing, so you can't trigger an overly "favorable" revolution and get like 4 progressive reforms in one shot?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

Is that supposed to be a game balance thing, so you can't trigger an overly "favorable" revolution and get like 4 progressive reforms in one shot?

I was thinking about this when reading the patch notes. I wonder how paradox could make it work with AI nations. I feel like 19th century revolutions should be a little bit more monumental and rare in their scope. It’s disheartening and a little immersion breaking to see the United States undergo its 4th civil war this century because of a taxation change, oh and it’s still a legacy slavery state.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

Imo balancing should be achieved by making revolutions much more damaging on a country, economically, diplomatically etc, rather than artificially constraining their political horizons.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Honestly revolutions barely changing things and causing spirals of more and more revolutions may be fairly historical, but it's just not fun gameplay.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Devs confirmed no changes to revolutions themselves. Oh well.

CrypticTriptych
Oct 16, 2013
If they're going to make the lockout period after cancelling an enactment attempt more strict, they should really try to make the chance prediction better reflect reality. The thumbs-up / thumbs-down /neutral meters feel a bit useless since often a large fraction of the +/- clout doesn't even get applied. The shown pass/advance/stall chance doesn't do anything to predict whether an opposing political movement will spring up the second you start trying to pass the law. "this will radicalize the X" isn't a good indicator for that, they'll start a movement without even being angry. A political movement also punches above its weight (for some reason) so something opposed by like 25% of clout can shoot from a 0% stall chance up to like 40% once the movement springs up.

With no penalty until the first checkpoint you can just cancel a few days into the enactment when it becomes clear your chances are actually miserable, and have lost nothing.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

buglord posted:

I was thinking about this when reading the patch notes. I wonder how paradox could make it work with AI nations. I feel like 19th century revolutions should be a little bit more monumental and rare in their scope. It’s disheartening and a little immersion breaking to see the United States undergo its 4th civil war this century because of a taxation change, oh and it’s still a legacy slavery state.

Yeah, this has always bothered me as well. I'm not necessarily saying you should be able to get full communism by 1848, but a successful Intelligencia or Trade Union revolution should probably change more than one aspect of a regressive society. The scope of possible changes should be determined by tech level (can't have command economy or women's suffrage before the relevant techs, etc.)

megane
Jun 20, 2008

They could just use the existing "add wargoal" system. When the revolution diplo play starts, the rebels can add war goals to change laws (with the free starting goal being whatever they rebelled over). And the loyalists can back down and give them what they want, though probably doing so should come with a massive legitimacy penalty or something so you can't abuse it for free law changes.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

Yeah, this has always bothered me as well. I'm not necessarily saying you should be able to get full communism by 1848, but a successful Intelligencia or Trade Union revolution should probably change more than one aspect of a regressive society. The scope of possible changes should be determined by tech level (can't have command economy or women's suffrage before the relevant techs, etc.)
They can change multiple laws at once. I had a trade union revolution for wage subsidies that also changed me from laissez-faire to interventionism, and taxes from per-capita to graduated. I already had universal suffrage and such, so none of that got touched, but the trade unions did take the time to fix other issues during the revolution.

What I really wish for is the ability to highlight the different laws a revolution has vs the old order. I think there are a lot of reasonable cases that you would just never be able to figure out what all a revolution changed without a lot of digging that really isn't worth it.

Once we actually knew what revolutions were about, then we could talk about the balance being off or not.

But the one I'm sure we always check, governing principles, seems way too sticky. Revolutions should be very quick to drop the monarch. I know there would be some revolutions lead by other royals for legitimacy, but that should be an exception. And they should never call themselves communist. They need a new name for monarchical trade union revolutions.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

This glitch has happened with my private construction queue a few times. This time it was after switching to Cooperative Ownership. There are 7 pages of funded constructions but almost all of them can't be built. If I mouse over the X it says something about rye farms.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

A successful revolution marginalizes every IG except the ones that participated and puts the latter in the government. In theory, this should be a blank check to pass any change they desire. This doesn’t work in practice, because the AI is extremely reluctant to pass reforms without powerful movements supporting them. Given that those are less likely to appear after a revolution, it makes it frequently end with a wet fart. I’ve seen Germany turning a Council Republic and not even bothering to switch from Landed Voting to literally anything else.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Autonomous construction doesn't seem to play nicely with the 1.2 arable land changes in Asia. The AI will insist on constructing rural buildings which will make huge swathes of your peasants unemployed (as subsistence rice farms employ twice as many people as rural buildings), cratering their SoL and generating heaps of unrest. Playing as Japan, maxing out taxes and industrialising as hard and fast as possible, I haven't been able to come close to making enough urban and resource buildings to employ the former peasants who have been displaced by enclosure of their land. It seems like the only option is to manually downgrade any rural buildings the AI constructs, which feels pretty stupid and gamey. Is there any solution I'm missing here?

WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

... It's magic. I ain't gotta explain shit.

BBJoey posted:

Autonomous construction doesn't seem to play nicely with the 1.2 arable land changes in Asia. The AI will insist on constructing rural buildings which will make huge swathes of your peasants unemployed (as subsistence rice farms employ twice as many people as rural buildings), cratering their SoL and generating heaps of unrest. Playing as Japan, maxing out taxes and industrialising as hard and fast as possible, I haven't been able to come close to making enough urban and resource buildings to employ the former peasants who have been displaced by enclosure of their land. It seems like the only option is to manually downgrade any rural buildings the AI constructs, which feels pretty stupid and gamey. Is there any solution I'm missing here?

My aristocrats were too busy building art academies, geennnerally. But i literally got famine at game start from the unemployed, so i think it's a bit too tight.

Also you are missing that agricultural buildings are supposed to employ less people, but other than that no. It is definitely too tight in asia.

Also LAND OWNERSHIP, LAND OWNERSHIP!

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah Japan just kinda struggles with unemployment, best solution was removing closed borders and let immigration to Hokkaido and Sakhalin KARAFUTO PUT IN DYNAMIC PLACE NAMES PARADOX YOU HACKS steadily drain then off. Try taking Alaska imo

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Agean90 posted:

PUT IN DYNAMIC PLACE NAMES PARADOX YOU HACKS

... Having a province named "Washington" as Canada did feel more than a little silly.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

OddObserver posted:

... Having a province named "Washington" as Canada did feel more than a little silly.

It really annoyed me as Mexico. Dallas, Houston and all those other losers were crushed under the enlightened fist of Santa Anna why do they get cities???

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

BBJoey posted:

But that’s exactly what happened historically. No one emigrated to the city, slept in a moldy basement with his entire family, and got paid a pittance for dangerous work fourteen hours per day because he wanted to. But there was a huge surplus of former peasants put out of business by enclosures and agricultural innovations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
Unemployment isn't the end of the world anyway, it only becomes a problem if you start getting turmoil. In the Japan game I just finished I had some minor turmoil after I kicked out the shogunate, but then I got guaranteed liberties, poor laws, and ethnostate and had no turmoil issues in the home islands for the rest of the game, even with persistent unemployment and decades of oligarchy.